main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Expanded Universe Expansion Set Ideas & Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Lately I've been trying to catch up on the EU novels and comics I've bought over the years but never got around to actually reading. Spurred after my enjoyment of both Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and Cloak of Deception, I progressed onto "I, Jedi" (deciding, for the moment, to bypass Rogue Planet) and then dove into The New Jedi Order series of books (currently starting part 2 of the Agents of Chaos duology, which I believe is the 5th book), and once I'm caught up on those I'll most likely backtrack to finish off the 2nd series of X-Wing novels (Wraith Squadron, etc) or Bounty Hunter Wars. Anyways, the point being that most of these books have been quite good/excellent contributions to the SW EU and I've been thinking of how, hopefully, Decipher will incorporate more of these elements into the SW:CCG, perhaps even as a full EU set.

I know there was someone on the boards in a previous related-discussion who didn't think a EU set would be a good idea but I disagree, so, hence this topic! >::D

Now, there are elements that would mesh easier, such as additional Rogue Squadron pilots or the inclusion of more pilots from the 181st for the darkside. Others, such as the Yuuzahn Vong, have more interesting possibilities. All of the Vong's technology is biological, so perhaps they could be added as an enhancement to the Creature card-type? Which would reflect their being not sided with the lightside or the darkside. We already have creature veichles, but perhaps now there could be creature devices and creature starships. Since the Vong do not exist in the force, their deployment wouldn't be restricted by force icons and such, just restricted based on the environment and, perhaps, how near to the core the parsec of the planet is...perhapos they could only deploy to planets that have either already been invaded/conquered or to sites related to the system with the outermost parsec number that HASN'T been conquered yet. That way, Vong would have to work their way in from the rim to the core like they are doing in the NJO books. There would probably be some kind of gametext allowing Vong to attack and attempt to destroy any mechanical technology present at the same site (take out vaporators and hydroponics stations for example or even automated weapons).

Ah, anyways, there alot of possibilities for the Vong, but even the stuff prior to NJO would be interesting- stuff from the Tales of the Jedi era (since timeline issues are moot now) such as Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun. You also have the Jedi vs. Sith era with Darth Bane and Lord Hoth.

What're your thoughts on the inclusion and possibilities of the EU in the SW:CCG?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I don't think they'll go as far back as the Sith War era, but I do think they'll work more with X-wing, The Thrawn Trilogy, the Han Solo Trilogy and the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't think we're going to see much in the EU area at all. I could be wrong, but I just don't think the interest is there. It's one thing to base a card game on a HUGELY popular movie; it's another thing to base it on a somewhat-popular spin-off series of novels and comic books based on a HUGELY popular movie. I'm not saying it wouldn't be "neat"; I'm just saying I don't think it's very likely.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I think the overall response to the EU cards in R2 was positive. As long as Decipher releases EU cards a little bit at a time, most people should be satisfied.

5. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    Here's to EU! Yeah, I think it'd be great if "D" came out with some more EU. I, personally would love to see some of the current comic book stuff like a new Ki-Adi-Mundi that had a bent toward Tatooine, "Sharaad Hett, Tusken Jedi", "A Sharaad Hett, Padawan Learner", etc. Also some of the Jedi from "I, Jedi" would be great. In fact, if they did that book they could add not only Jedi, but some X-Wing stuff as well. Also a Jedi version of Corran Horn would be great...on one condition though: GET A NEW MODEL! Man was I dissapointed with the way that card looks. When I saw the cover of the book all I could think of was the guy who played Wesley in "The Princess Bride" and then I saw the card and was sorely dissapointed. Oh well.

Spud

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I felt Corran looked too..well, Senator Palpatine-ish. But, if what decipher's character brief says is true, Stackpole probably isn't complaining about the model- because that is Stackpole! Didn't know that until now- lol.

7. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    I'd love to see more EU. More from the Thrawn books like C'both. The Clone Emperor, more Dark Jedi, Brakiss, Jerec, etc. Kyle Katarn from Dark Forces. Maybe the Vong could be something totally new, a third side to choose?

8. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Gee, I don't see anyone complaining about their Thrawn or their Chewie Protector or Guri...in other words, the bottom line is, players will play with whatever is gets them victory lane. I don't think players would care if Decipher made cards from the Ewok or Droids series as long as the cards help them win. Basically, as long as Decipher leaves the Holiday Special forgotten, I'm happy ;)

And for the record, I thought Stackpole as Corran was horrible. I mean, I love Mike's SW writing to death--he's one of my favs--but he isn't Corran...imo.

(And Karrde is Tim Zahn for those not aware of that as well)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Zahn makes a great Karrde, that's all I have to say.

10. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Zahn was alright as Karrde, but he was older than I expected. Stackpole as Corran though, that was just a bad idea. Sure, it's cool that the author who created the character got to play him on the card, but not when he's way older, fatter, and balder than the character is supposed to be. This is even worse since that's supposed to be Corran from the era of the first 4 X-wing novels. He was what, in his mid-to-late 20s then?

11. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Correct, it was supposed to be the Corran during the X-wing series...though the cards gameplay is more CorSec than Rogue pilot which would mean he would need to be even younger.

*shrug* maybe he's the Corran from the Star Wars: Infinities comic series :D

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Karrde is supposed to be in his early-to-mid 40s during the Thrawn Trilogy, so I think the age is just right on his card.

13. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    i would love to see kevin j. andersons/rebecca moesta's young jedi knights series,along with a series crimson empire I + II

14. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    Wanna hear something cool? A Bible teacher that I had in 11th grade is Rebecca Moesta's dad. Ah yes, good ol' (and I mean old) Mr. Moesta. I think that Anderson and Moesta live about 23 miles north of here, but I'm not certain. Anyway, yeah that would be pretty cool to get Jacen, Janna and Anakin Solo into card format. Talk about a booster for ground space!

Spud

15. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    tenel ka and zekk, along with lowbacca, and leia organa solo......

16. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I just want an NJO set, but I just realized... what side would Vong be, they aren't Dark Side, and definatly not light side. Would they have to make an entirely new card back and new Vong only cards? Would this also mean that you could not use older interupts such as Hyper Escape or Weapon of an Ungratful Son, because they are Light and Dark side cards? Would there also be rules for 3 player games in which one is Light, one is Dark, and one is Vong???

17. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    If the Vong were a third side, they'd be at a severe disadvantage. The other two sides would have over 1000 cards each to choose from, while the Vong would have maybe 100 or so starting out. It would be something like playing an Episode I deck against an open environment deck. Episode I has so few options that its easy to counter, and it has so few counters, particularly for classic trilogy strategies, that it's just no contest.

Unless, of course, they made the Vong so powerful that they became a whole side of OG Operatives.

18. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    I'd lke to see a set on the bountey hunters from the movies, and the EU.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    re: Vong card disadvantage if they were a 3rd side, that's not entirely true because you need to consider that a great deal of effects, interupts and game text target cards specific to lightside and darkside, so that would trim down the card selection for the non-Vong players. They'd still be a great disadvantage, but then again, the Vong in the books were outnumbered initially so that might be an accurate depiction of them in gameplay. The main problem would be balancing them since they'd have to be a bit more powerful to make up for their lack of resources. Perhaps every Vong card would have an upkeep in it's gametext, since they tend to be very sacrificial and all. Could be something like "at end of turn may sacrifice (lose) one captured Infidel present at same site or (used arrow) or (skull icon)"

(or however that works, you get the idea[face_batting] )

20. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    Quest: The fact that so many Light & Dark cards specifically target each other is exactly the reason why the Vong would be weakened. Unless a whole bunch of new counter cards that stopped abusive strategies of both sides were produced for the Vong, playing against the Vong would be like reopening the floodgates on old strategies. Hidden Base? They haven't got Security Precautions. Honor Of The Jedi? Sure, they can't play No Escape. Inserts? They don't have YCHF/YISYW. ROps? No Ounee Ta keeps you safe. Senate? The Vong aren't politicians, nor are they Republic characters. Podracing? I didn't see any organically-grown pods in TPM, did you? Dagobah Mining Guild?? Turbo Asteroids???? Hey, when you don't need to worry about CHYBC or Planetary Subjugation...

While Decipher could certainly make some counter cards for a third side, I doubt they'd be able to make enough. Especially since they'd need to make enough cards that actually DO something to make the Vong a whole side. Besides, we already waste enough money buying two copies of the same cards. We don't need to buy three.

21. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    One answer would be deck protectors. Then the card backs wouldn't be an issue. In the NJO version we could allow the Vong to play with their Vong-only cards, enslaved aliens from either side (maybe because they used an effect or objective correctly), sites, systems, and certain effects and interrupts.

All these cards could be from a list of legal cards that the vong player could choose from. They wouldn't be allowed non-vong vehicles, weapons, etc. Their opponet would then be able to play either light or dark side as the NR or empire. (also from an approved list?)

I think this is the best idea, we could even make dream cards for this and even play-test them this way. We should make an expansion contest like they do on the decipher boards.

22. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    My idea is make both light and dark versions of them, but count both editions as one card in the expansion. Say that you can't use any non-Vong or non-creature ships, weapons, devices, or vehicles, then have a card ("Peace Brigade") allowing you to play aliens and they can use non-creature/independant(for starships) cards. Then you wouldn't have to wory about counters or less cards.

23. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    If they ever do make the Yuuzhan Vong in SWCCG, it'll probably get represented more like the Black Sun than anything else. Instead of making a rule about not being able to use them, they'll probably just get an objective that doesn't let you deploy non-Vong stuff. Sure, you'd probably still be able to use them in a regular Dark deck, but you can have Jar Jar stop Moff Jerjerrod from building the Death Star II or have Vader chop his mother in half, so I doubt Decipher cares much for plot accuracy anymore these days.

24. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    I think that the Vong would be a part of the darkside. If you decided to play a Vong character on the table, you can't play any other character type for the remainder of the game (Imperial, droid, alien, Maul, Dark Jedi Master) and vice versa. This would allow the Vong player to have a large pile of cards to use at their disposal.

It would be very hard on what's restricted and what's not for the Vong. May be a special objective or two that the Vong can only play from. I can't imagine a Vong character running around on the Death Star, moving it from Parsec to Parsec. Although, it is Star Wars CCG! ;)

Why would the Vong be a part of the darkside? Well, they are waged war against the New Republic which is representated as the lightside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.