main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Expanded Universe in Episode 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by sessionable, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    sessionable-because you seem to be mistaking your opinion for fact.

2. sessionable

sessionable Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2003
    I dont regard it as fact. I've stated my opinion, got replies for it and that's that.
    However, it would be amazing to conduct a poll on what people believe about the impact of EU books. May i be so bold as to suggest the vast majority will think as i do, that they are cheap after-dinner mints, taking place of the grandest of feasts.
    And, for those out there that disagree with me, i dont disregard the value of books. That is a silly point of view. I disregard the contradicting continuation of a visual phenonomen that takes place in books,that dont and cannot supply us with all what we're used to.
    it's just not the same my friend, from whatever angle you look at it.
    Sure, they can be official in the sense that they are endorsed and continue to make Mr lucas money, but they are little consolation for those wanting to SEE the films.
    I dont shame anyone for reading them, but sometimes the EU enthusiasts sound like these nerdy star trek fans that take the subject just a LITTLE too far.
    There is loving something, and showing affection for it, and there is raping it.

3. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    The EU is not a necessary continuation. The story of the Empire ends in ROTJ. You don't need the EU to explain how it was defeated, it was defeated already. There are no imperials trying to pic up the pieces. You don't need a book to finish the movies' story. Rather, the books need to backtrack over the resolution of the films to justify their own existence. Boba Fett died? Nope, he survived. Palpatine's dead? Nope, clone him. No more Empire? Nope, let's resurrect it and beat it into the ground. Those particular stories beat horses that were already dead.

4. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    No, the EU is not a continuation. That is correct. It is an Expansion. Hense the name "Expanded Universe." You don't have to like it, you don't have to read it. But it's there, and there are a lot of people who really like it all. I like the EU, but I don't like all of it. There are books and comics and such that I really don't like, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they should exist. Just because you can't "see" what is happening doesn't mean that it isn't a visual experience or that it doesn't belong in the Star Wars universe. A good writer can create a more vivid picture in your mind than you can see on the screen, if the writer is good enough and you are the right kind of reader. Not everyone can do this, and it doesn't make you more or less smart if you can or can't.

And just because the Emperor is dead doesn't mean that the GFFA stops existing. There is still a lot of cleaning up to do, and if you think that all of those Imperial officers will just say "Oh, the Emperor is dead, I guess we'll just have to give up now and go have a spot of tea with the Rebels, er, the New Republic", then you've got another thing coming. That's also the point of the EU. It lets us continue to have new stories in the galaxy we all wish we could be a part of. And, on top of that, the New Jedi Order (which I think are the best in the EU after ROTJ) have created a new conflict that is just as worriesome, if not moreso, than the Empire. So the "dead horse" is not being beaten any more and a new epic has begun.

These stories all share the same spirit as the Star Wars movies, the sense of fun and adventure, and the fantasy. If you like Star Wars because of the visuals, that's fine, but there is so much more to it than that.

One more thing, there has been talk on this thread of the possibility or desire for a Star Wars television series. Don't forget that there were two in the 80's: "Droids" and "Ewoks", both cartoons, but still television series.

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I think people here are focussing far too much on the post-ROTJ side of EU. I'll be the first to admit that it was flawed in a number of ways. But I'm hoping that the new Clone Wars series of EU material will be integrated completely into Episode III, serving as additional background material to help with a better understanding of the underlying themes and references in the movie. Think holonetnews.com, but on a much larger scale.

6. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Agreed. The Prequel Era EU seems to be much more on track with the films, probably because they are being made at the same time.

7. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    Here's my point :D
    In order to read a book you Have To visualize, Most times you visualize things without even knowing it! ;)

Since we already know what most Star Wars species, droids, planets, ships, main characters look like, It seems to me it would be easier to Visualize these things while reading a SW novel because we know them so well :)

I understand if you don't agree with EU, But to dismiss it ALL as not Star Wars and All bad seems a bit much. There are Excellent EU novels & bad ones, They're not all bad :)
    That's all I'm saying :D

P.S. I don't care if anything EU makes an appearance in E3 or not :)
    Of course Coruscant will have to be there [face_mischief]

8. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    EU for the sake of EU!

Just kidding. It´s great though to see just some small details, like the large freighter
    ship (that Talon Karrde flies, can´t remember the name) in AOTC.
    And even a character (Aayla Secura).

I´m down with the EU if it has some kind of genuine SW-feeling to it.
    At the same time it feels a little bit...
    itchy to know that the maker (GL) really don´t care about it.
    It is like;"Well, there are SW-films, and if you want to explore further you have these "almost" SW books/comics+more. They are like SW, but...they are´nt."
    When i read a SW book i want to know it´s STAR WARS and nothing else.
    And if it´s bad stuff, well i guess GL should be more careful with his universe.

9. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm a pretty big EU fan, but I don't mind if there are no EU cameos in Ep 3. Being a continuity fan as well, I don't care what happens in Ep 3 unless it screws up the EU in a non-explainable way. If it does...oh, well, I'm sure it'll be a great movie anyway! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.