main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Expanded Universe Reading (was: The Dark Nest Trilogy)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, Oct 18, 2006.

1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Anybody read it? Thoughts?

I haven't read it yet - just finished Outbound Flight a few weeks ago and need something new to read...

After that, I plan on starting the Legacy series... Thoughts on the first two books?

2. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Yes, I've read them. Overall, I thought they were only ok. At times they seemed really drawn out, almost as if instead of giving us a huge hardcover (think Star By Star) or even two decent-sized novels, they threw a bunch of filler in and made things drag on forever so they could fill three books. Don't let my opinion stop you from reading them, however. I said this exact same thing to Donna before she read them, and after she was done she told me she loved them. So to each their own.

The Legacy series, on the other hand, I'm really enjoying. Betrayal did a great job of setting everything up for the novels that are to come, and Bloodlines was a fantastic read. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best SW novels I've read recently, but then again, I've really enjoyed everything that Karen Traviss has written for the SW universe. From what I know so far, the second hardcover in the series, Sacrifice, should prove to be another pivotal point in the post-ROTJ SW universe (I mean, come on, just look at the title!), the likes of which we haven't seen since Star By Star. And it's going to be written by Karen to boot. I can't wait!

3. nmfiredawg

nmfiredawg Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    I saw bloodlines but what about reading it out of order. Haven't even started into the new order yet. Still working on about 10 years after ROTJ.

4. LetoQuorme

Nov 11, 2001
    The New Jedi Order is such a huge chunk of post-ROTJ EU that if you try to read anything that occurs after the events in those books, chances are you're going to get lost real fast.

5. hairlesswookie

hairlesswookie Jedi Master star 3

Oct 23, 2001
    The Dark Nest had a few good things in it, but I thought it was just okay. I think I was just so anxious to see what happened after the whole Vong Invasion storyline that any book that followed was going to be highly sought after.

The whole New Jedi Order series involves a lot of reading, but I would definitely recommend it. They feature all the classic characters as well as many of the more obscure ones. The Vong race/species was really interesting and while I really, really disliked them and wanted them to die, I was intrigued by their technology and background. :)
    I'd have to go with Brian and say that if you wanted to read some post-Vong stories, you're gonna be very lost without having read the NJO series. Trust me, it's worth it!!
    Oh, and the book,"Rogue Planet" by Greg Bear that takes place during the Prequel era, has a big connection to the NJO too.

6. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Yeah, I read all the NJO series. GOOD stuff. I think I'll go ahead and reserve them at the library.

Hey, it can't be worse than The Crystal Star, can it?

7. hairlesswookie

Oct 23, 2001
    <shudder>

8. LetoQuorme

Nov 11, 2001
    Never read it, due to what I've heard about it.

9. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    I've got it, if you're morbidly curious and want to borrow it, Brian!

Also, I just got finished (recently) reading Outbound Flight. Joruus C'baoth wasn't quite too far removed from his template, was he?

I also like the wrench thrown into the mix about how Palpatine was working on preventing the Yuzhaan Vong from invading the known galaxy since he had visions about them coming.

10. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thought I'd dust off this topic. I've kept up with the Legacy series, but haven't read Exile yet. After reading through the first three (Traitor, Bloodlines, Tempest) I decided it would be best to get filled in with all that happened during the Dark Nest storyline. There's just too many references made in there that I feel like I'm missing out on.

On a tangent, after finishing Tempest, I read the Old Republic Novel, Darth Bane.

NOW THAT BOOK MAKES YOU WISH YOU WERE A SITH LORD. Darth Bane was one bad mofo. I can't wait to get a glimpse of the Darth Plagueis novel. Any idea when that'll be done?

11. hairlesswookie

Oct 23, 2001
    Hey Bob,
    I think I read somewhere that the Darth Plagueis book won't be out until sometime in 2008. That should be a good read. It'll be interesting to see his origin as well as some of Palpatine's too.

12. JaceMardu

JaceMardu Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2005
    You guys are so far ahead. I'm about 3/4 the way through Truce at Bakura. I like it though!!!

13. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Well, considering I started reading the EU when I had my wisdom teeth pulled back in High School I've had a while to read the stuff. But I still haven't read everything. I haven't read any of the OLD stuff (The Han Solo or Lando Calrissian Chronicles or Tales or whatever those were called). But all the newer EU stuff, minus all the X-Wing stuff, I've pretty much read. Oh, and not any of the comics or graphic novel compilations, though I do want to read through all the Clone War stuff. And Dark Empire II. There's just so much to read.

14. LetoQuorme

Nov 11, 2001
    Exile was good. I'm really looking forward to Sacrifice, cause that's when the poodoo is really gonna hit the fan in the GFFA.

15. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Spoiler beware:

What's your guys' take on Jacen? I've never been a big fan of the twins since their inception. They've got some unique character traits, though. But this whole Jacen turning Sith seems kinda contrived to me. I was sorta digging the whole "encompassing Force" angle where there is no Light nor Dark, only what the wielder intends. It's an interesting concept. Was I shocked to hear Lumiya said Vergere was Sith? No. Do I think Vergere was Sith? No. I think Vergere's concept of the Force was neither good nor bad, but it was just rather how that power was used. She didn't "serve the Force" but rather the Force used her and she acted upon it's ebb and flow for any given moment. But I don't know about this whole Jacen thing. Between books 2 and 3, his resolve changed from "yes, I will sacrifice whatever I have to to make sure the galaxy is conflict free" to "I won't do it, even if it means the galaxy will go down the toilet." I dunno...

16. hairlesswookie

Oct 23, 2001
    Looks like the Darth Plagueis novel has been cancelled...

Poop

17. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    I saw that, too. That sucks hardcore. After reading Darth Bane, I was sooooo looking forward to the Plagueis novel.

*grumble*