main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jestermac4, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jestermac4

jestermac4 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2005
    Hey there everyone. I'm new to the fan forums, so if this question has already been discussed, just let me know...but I'm curious. I read something the other day just completely trashing the Expanded Universe. All of the books, the video games, and other related things. Now, I'm not trying to start a riot, but I'm just curious what everyone's take on the Expanded Universe is. I love it myself. Yeah, I was a little pissed at the people they killed off in the New Jedi Order series, but even heroes can't live forever. I think it's awesome that people have given so much life to the Star Wars universe. Instead of having the 5(soon to be 6) movies as all there is, we have a huge number of books and video games that stretch the story out and bring us new characters. Look at what it has brought us so far....both Corran Horn and Mara Jade. These were two excellent characters and I think it's great that they are out there. Anywho...what does everyone else feel? Again, I'm not trying to start a battle here or upset people, I'm just curious.

2. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I like the EU for two reasons:
    1. It allows for greater exoploration of characters and events
    2. It introduces new characters, like you said Mara and Corran, Kyle Katarn, and so on.
    I dislike it for two reasons:
    1. Some of the stories I disagree with, where characters go and so on
    2. It provides a huge ground for conflict between the movies and EU
    That being said, while I don't always agree with what authors write I do like the diversity that it adds to the Star Wars galaxy.

3. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm part of the EU :p (Star Wars Galaxies) So without the EU, Jarus Sarn wouldn't exist!!! I'm glad it's there, and Dar does make some good points.

4. jestermac4

Feb 16, 2005
    Yeah, I definately agree....there are some things that the various authors do that just make you wonder what they were thinking. But then again, I guess that's their right as the author and creative force behind their particular story.

J

5. rhysklaus

rhysklaus Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    The EU gives the fans a chance to hear new stories, meet new characters, and experience more of the SW universe froma different POV. I like what GL has done, but I don't always agree with him. The EU gives me a chance to enjoy someone else take on SW. Plus you get to have all the backstories on characters you otherwise would have been guessing about (Boba Fett for example).

6. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I love EU, because it does give extra information, plus I love reading :-B.

New characters and more detail about places help create additional images in my heads of various locations and creatures in the SW galaxy :)

7. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Downside of EU: They killed Chewie!!!

8. jestermac4

Feb 16, 2005
    Yeah, the death of Chewie was the biggest downer of the EU...and I wasn't really fond of them killing off Anakin either.

9. JediCloneCT

JediCloneCT Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Killing Anakin bothered me a *lot* more than Chewie because:

A) Up to that point, they had been setting up Anakin and Tahiri as the major heroes of the NJO storyline. If Yoda's spirit were around, he'd have been regulrly reminding everyone their destinty it was to defeat the Vong.

and B) He was killed because some dumbass among The Powers That Be decided there could be "name recognition" issues with people getting him confused with Anakin <i>Skywalker</i>. :( Offing him weakend the NJO series IMO becuase other characters got shoehorned into his part of the plotline.

That said, I really enjoy the EU, even some of the goofier stuff from the 80's. One of the things I really liked about NJO was how each mini-arc drew on and characters and events from older EU stories.

10. jestermac4

Feb 16, 2005
    Yeah, I agree with that. Plus, when they offed Anakin, they all but shelved Tahiri, who was really becoming an interesting new character. Now I doubt we'll hear much from her in any of the new books to come. That sucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.