main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Expectations for our neighbor's election results

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    What do you all thin? Four more years or four new years?

Personaly, I wish for 4 new years, it can only be better for us to have the Democrats as neighbors.

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I think the only 2 candidates are both horrible. If I was an American I would have to vote for a third party candidate - but because of US media, we dont even see who those "other" people are - except for Nader who gets 30 seconds a day tops on CNN.

Anyhoo, Bush is going to win.

3. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Anyhoo, Bush is going to win.

I didn't hear that. Tis a curse upon us all.

4. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I never said I want him to win - they are both liars, but face the facts. It's going to be close, possibly a tie. If it does go to a tie than Bush wins because the Supremem Court decides, and there are more Republican SCJ's that Democrat. But that's only a possibility, the probability is that Bush wins by 1 to 3 states.

5. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    You jinxed it. :p ;)

6. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I just wasted a few minutes of my life wading through the political diatrabes on the Senate Floor in the JC. I don't know. I have a sickening feeling that, were the American public given the oportunity, they'd put Palpatine at the helm.

"I love democracy."

My hope is that Kerry takes this election, but I've a sickening feeling that Bush will be elected for the first time.

But don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

7. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I just wasted a few minutes of my life wading through the political diatrabes on the Senate Floor in the JC. I don't know. I have a sickening feeling that, were the American public given the oportunity, they'd put Palpatine at the helm.

"I love democracy."

My hope is that Kerry takes this election, but I've a sickening feeling that Bush will be elected for the first time.

But don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

As an American, I agree with you. Wishy-washy Paul Martin sounds a lot better than Bush or Kerry, IMO.

8. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    I had felt for months that Bush would win, though I was hoping I would be wrong.

Unfortunately the Republicans in America seem to hold the Christian majority firmly, and the Democratic party seems more and more to simply represent "everyone else". Even setting aside that their leader this time round wasn't doing a very good job on the campaign trail, the Democrats seem to have been too busy infighting over what they most needed to change rather than focusing on the more immediate goal of defeating the opposition so that changes could be made.

This morning, before the final results and concessions were in, in one of my classes we looked at former US diplomat John Brady Kiesling's (stationed at the US Embassy in Athens) open letter of resignation to Colin Powell. This letter was submitted in early 2003, and in it, he asks, "Has 'oderint dum meutuant' really become our motto?" History buffs will know this was a favourite saying of Ceasar Caligula, and is Latin for "Let them hate me, provided they fear me."

I thought this was a perfect question and hope that now that a decision seems to have been made, America will get its act together and stop letting their president give all these potentially hostile or sketchy at best states reasons to hate them. It's a small hope to be sure but I have to keep it. Because I don't know about the rest of you, but living right next door, it makes me feel kind of insecure that by will or ignorance he seems to keep tearing open old wounds and rubbing salt into them. Sooner or later even the friendliest puppy, if ignored or mistreated, will grow into a big mean dog and bite you back. :(

9. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    It's a sad day. Now, who wants to bet on the next country to be invaded?

I put my money on Syria and/or Iran.

10. Mokitty

May 8, 2002
    I'm not sure you can bet too heavily on that. After all, why weren't they invaded in the first place when they were clearly a bigger threat? Or North Korea for that matter?

No one in their right mind wants to provoke a country that can actually hit them back if they can possibly avoid it....

11. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    In other words, Canada is next to be invaded!

12. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    This is TragicLad with a Muppet Newsflash
    "Ladies and gentlemen, uh, we've just lost the picture, but what we've seen speaks for itself. The Niagara Penninsula has apparently been taken over -- 'conquered' if you will -- by a master race of Americans. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive Canadians or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the Americans will soon be here.

And I for one welcome our new American overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Internet personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves."

13. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    As Canadians, I don't see why you are so negative towards a government that has no control over you, that you don't vote for, and that you don't have to live under. Honestly, the only people that should be happy or upset about Bush being re-elected are the Americans. Just my personal opinion, however...

Anyhoo, I'm very happy Bush was re-elected. I would never move back to the states if Kerry had won. Probably wouldn't be as bad as if Gore had won *shudders*, but still bad enough.

I have to say, though, that my respect for John Kerry went up quite a bit yesterday, when I saw he had called President Bush to concede, instead of fighting it and dragging it out. That shows some integrity. That's awesome.

14. Mokitty

May 8, 2002
    As Canadians, I don't see why you are so negative towards a government that has no control over you, that you don't vote for, and that you don't have to live under. Honestly, the only people that should be happy or upset about Bush being re-elected are the Americans. Just my personal opinion, however...

Not all Canadians have a negative view of the current American administration; as a recent poll in Time magazine shows, roughly 17% of us actually like President Bush, and another 24% have a neutral view of him.

But, negative or positive, the fact is that the United States of America is THE major world power, and so everyone in the world has an interest in their affairs. We all live 'under' the United States. Some countries look to America with envy, some with fear, some with respect, and in truth, many also look to America for guidance. I don't think most Americas realize it, but in one way or another, the decisions they make and examples they set as a country, whether in regards to foreign policy, or in some cases even seemingly innocuous and entirely internal domestic issues, inevitably trickle down in one way or another onto the rest of us.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

15. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Well said, Mo =D=

16. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Well put Mokitty :)

17. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Absolutely, well said!

I've even known a few Americans from time to time who have shared their two cents' worth about issues that only effect Canadians, and as a user I've had to respect those foreign opinions, so I don't see why the same standard shouldn't apply across the board, or border for that matter!

No one in their right mind wants to provoke a country that can actually hit them back if they can possibly avoid it....

This is Bush we're talking about, right? :p

"We think we know Syria has weapons of mass destruction." - George W. Bush

I'm betting Syria will be the next target in the search for those elusive weapons of mass destruction in the United States' "War on Terrorism". They've got lots of oil, right?

Oh, and TragicLad? You're a complete nut, you know that? Don't change. :p

18. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Yes, very well said, Mo. :)

I'm not saying you shouldn't be interested or concerned with it. I can understand why you should, especially since it's right south of you! I guess I'm talking more about Canadians who make it their business to trash Bush and the United States as much as they can. That annoys me greatly. I've seen it happen here a few times. Interest and concern is one thing; trashing is another. I don't really care for Prime Minister Martin. The only reason I voice that is because I live in Canada. Maybe my beef is just with people who have nothing to do with the states and everything to do with badmouthing it. But that's just me. :)

19. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I as well voted for Kodos, Tragic (actually, I put that on my livejournal the day after the election)!
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/11244/kangkodos1.gif]

I have actually experienced a lot of frustrations re: sharing my opinions over it. And I think that's the problem. I am interested, and concerned, but a lot of the time, my opinion that I want to share appears to others as though I am bashing, so it's hard to differentiate the two, I think. I think that a lot of the so called bashing comes from the fact that people are frustrated and scared, not because they want to bash the US for the heck of it.

Anyway, true reason for the post is to give this link SorryEverybody.com. It's really slow, and it doesn't work all the time, but it's really helped me come to terms with the whole thing, and also made me far less apt to bash.

20. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Lelila: I'd like to visit the site, but so far all I'm getting is a message saying "coming soon". I'll keep trying, though, because I'd really like to read it. :)

Tammy: You wrote, "As Canadians, I don't see why you are so negative towards a government that has no control over you, that you don't vote for, and that you don't have to live under. Honestly, the only people that should be happy or upset about Bush being re-elected are the Americans."

And then in a later post you wrote: "I'm not saying you shouldn't be interested or concerned with it. I can understand why you should, especially since it's right south of you!"

So which is it? You're saying you're okay with us being interested or concerned, but we can't be happy or sad? An opinion is an opinion, period. The right to have one, regardless of nationality or residence, is NOT in question here.

"I guess I'm talking more about Canadians who make it their business to trash Bush and the United States as much as they can."
    "Maybe my beef is just with people who have nothing to do with the states and everything to do with badmouthing it. But that's just me."

Perhaps it would be wisest to PM these individuals with whom you have the beef then, Tammy, so this thread can return to its original topic? I'm sure the people who have "everything to do with badmouthing the [United] states" and "make it their business to trash the United States as much as they can" will be more than happy to courteously and privately address such assumptions and over-generalizations, or "beefs", as opposed to publicly addressing it, which could be easily construed as falling for bait.

Just to remind everyone of something, though, bashing a public figure is not the same as bashing an entire country and its citizens. If a third party wants to take my opinions regarding a public political figure personally rather than simply disagreeing with me or choosing to defend their own opposite opinions (or not), then there's not much I can do about that.

- Rani

21. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    I will state publicly, loudly and on record.
    Bush is a moron, and perhaps the worst President the United States has ever seen fit to put into office since Nixon.

I admire the United States for the principles upon which it was founded. I admire the ideals - if not with some of the actual practice - of it's capitalist economy. I love the whole darn country, even it's moms and it's apple pies.

Bush led the nation to war under false pretenses. Over a thousand Americans and anywhere from 10,000 - 100,000 Iraqis are dead because of his fictitious war. That - and that alone should have been enough to keep him out of office.

They say Bush won because of those concerned with moral values. I say he won because of those who want to impose their own views upon others.

He won because of the people who would ban gays from being public school teachers1, who would prefer the teaching of dogma to an actual education2 3, who don't care how many people die if it means dollars in their pocket. Sadly there's millions upon millions of those people throughout what is otherwise a great nation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.