main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Experience levels for Old Republic Jedi and NJO Jedi

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Prime_, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Are there any guidelines anywhere (or personal guidelines) about what levels are "expected" by what ages for different classes and eras? I realize that this also depends on the characters life, but I was wondering what people consider reasonable. Looking around I see a lot of Level 15 twenty year olds, if you know what I mean :)

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    My only problem with this is the Jedi Apprentice series for Qui Gon Jinn not to mention the Republic comics...

Sure the missions are smaller scale but the Jedi are just as active as they've always been.....

After all the Republic had no military, only the Jedi

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    But the Rebublic didn't need much of a military and the Jedi were mostly just a "show of force" (no pun intended). When things went well, there was no need for them see combat, adn we all know that's where the real XP is. ;)

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm just saying that the Jedi apprentice books had alot of conflicts that had to be resolved.

Dem dang dirty black sun types, civil wars between planets, etc

5. HansHunkyChest

HansHunkyChest Jedi Master star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    I think Luke's general of teaching and accepting students is very similar to the pre-Ruusan Jedi. Before Ruusan the Jedi would accept apprentices at pretty much any age. This of course led to the battle of Ruusan but also gave the Jedi a lot more life/game experience than the post-Ruusan Master-Apprentice relationship.

The RotE era Jedi had been raised from birth as Jedi. Upon coming of age they would have far less real world experience than their pre-Ruusan forebearers. Any Jedi in the RotE era would have likely lived their formative years living in the Jedi Temple. Jacen and Jaina were scurrying about the galaxy long before they ever entered the Academy. Most NJO should probably have at least a few levels of another class in addition to their Jedi levels.

6. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Also, During the Rise of the Empire, Jedi training seemed to be very methodical and patient. They really strived to reduce the chance of a student turning to the Dark Side as much as possible. This is certainly understandable, but it lead to less real-life experience at the earlier ages.

Luke could not really afford such a cautious outlook. The Jedi training during the New Republic seemed to be much more sink-or-swim. Also, the low numbers of Jedi didn't help. I assume in a lot of cases post RotJ Jedi were sent on missions that they might not have been truly ready for. Those that survived gained a lot of experience. The Old Republic Jedi had much greater numbers, and the Council was probably very careful in making sure the Jedi sent on a mission was well equiped to handle it.

But my question is are the NJO Jedi as listed (from what I have seen anyway) reasonable compared to the Old Republic Jedi? You have Obi-Wan at level10 by the beginning of clones (age ~35), and Qui-Gon at level 15 by Episode 1 (~60). Conversely, you have Kyp Durron at level 14 at the beginning of the NJO (32) and the Solo twins at level 9 (~18?). I haven't read the NJO enough to know. Is it reasonable to be at level 15 before someone is 40? I'm just trying to get a feel of what is realistic... :)

7. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Jacen and Jaina, as well as their friends, had many adventures even before the war. Anyone remember the YJK books? By the time of the War, they were already almost Knights. It's not too msurprising that Jedi gain levels faster during this era than in the RotE era, because they are more active in the galactic affairs, and main participants in the war with the Yuuzhan Vong. I have a character that I've been playing since back in the D6 days. He's 32 years old and 18th level. With the skills he has listed on his D6 sheet, I could have converted him into a 27th level + character easily. I don't concider the Solo kids, or any of the NJo characters too high based upon what they are capable of in the books. In some caes, Luke for example, I think they're too low.

8. HansHunkyChest

HansHunkyChest Jedi Master star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    Between their adventuring in the Corellian trilogy and the YJK series the twins and Anakin could have easily gained a handful of Jedi class levels. Look at Luke, he went from a Fringer 2 in ANH to Fringer 2/Jedi Guardian 7 in RotJ. That's a four year span that he gained seven Jedi levels with only minimal training from Yoda and Obi-Wan. I'd say between the Corellian trilogy and YJK adventures the twins would likely be about level 5. By the time of the NJO stuff they'd easily have gained a couple more levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.