main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Explain the unexplainable? Plot anamoly discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Clone434, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clone434

Clone434 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Discussion of plot holes seems pretty random and scattered. Hopefully this can be the home for discussions of potential plot goofiness. I see two plot anamolies for which I haven't come up with good explanations. I'm wondering if anybody's got a good answer to either.

1) In AOTC, Obi-Wan personally learns of the existence of both armies, and learns of Jango Fett's involvement with both. Why does he not get more suspicious of the clones? After all, if I'm not mistaken, he's the one that, looking over the huge clone army says, "we almost lost that one." The best answer I can come up with is that he doesn't assume Jango Fett has any allegiences and believes Jango is helping both sides as a sort of free-agent mercenary. He doesn't even see these two armies as related initially. But when Jango is so closely linked to D'koo (sitting in the luxury box with him), and later, the two armies do battle, it seems incredible for Obi-Wan and the remaining Jedi Council to assume that Jango was purely a hired gun for two unrelated armies.

2. In the OT, we are told that Luke and Leia were both "hidden" from Vader. Vader didn't even know he had a daughter, so it might be believable that he wouldn't find Leia--even when placed with Palp's former right-hand man, Bail Organa. But Vader knew he had a son. Doesn't it seem incredible that Vader wouldn't be able to find him on Tatoine? living with his step-brother, who, in AOTC, he meets? Seems a mighty big stretch. The only explanation I see is that Palp didn't tell him he had a son until sometime after ANH.

2. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Sorry, bro, ive been wondering both of these questions myself. THe best answer I can give is that he didn't think Obiwan would put him on Tatooine, b/c Tatooine is such a crappy and boring planet. He probably didn't think it would be a good place to train a Jedi.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    To answer #2, does it look to you like Anakin wants to return to Tatooine? He hates the sand, and his mother died there. His entire life there, he was a slave. If I were him, I know I wouldn't want to go back.

4. netslave

netslave Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    to obi-wan, jango was just a man tryin to make it in this world. he's a bounty hunter. he goes where the money is even if it's playin both sides.

and do we know that vader ALWAYS new he had a kid? or did the emperor tell him in between ep4 and ep5?

5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Sorry, bro, ive been wondering both of these questions myself. THe best answer I can give is that he didn't think Obiwan would put him on Tatooine, b/c Tatooine is such a crappy and boring planet. He probably didn't think it would be a good place to train a Jedi. Plus, the Empire has better and more important things to do than go to a small populated planet like Tatooine. Its not exactly a major player in the universe.

6. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    [face_laugh] @ "He hates the sand"

7. Clone434

Clone434 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Re: Lookin' for Luke in all the wrong places:

You mean to tell me that the dark lord of the sith, who in ROTJ is found relentlessly searching the galaxy for his son, and who knows that his son also likely has the mitochondria to use Xtreme force like himself, and who may have some fatherly affections as well, doesn't look in his former home, and check in on his bro because he doesn't like the sand? (presumably because it's not soft like Padme). Sounds like a slacker sith to me.

8. vatolio

vatolio Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    What about this possibility. Neither Vader or Palpatine knew about Luke or Leia until Luke blew up the Death Star. Obviously, Luke made his name known then and Vader would have recognized the Skywalker name. Or he may have felt a disturbance in the force when he was trying to shoot Luke down and could feel that there was some relation. Just a thought.

9. netslave

May 30, 2002
    he's got better things to do than visit with the family. palpatine probably told him to forget his family completely and never go back there. for fear that he could turn back to the otherside.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    vatolio said what I was thinking. So far, there is no proof that Anakin knows about Luke in ANH.

I just realized that vatolio is the first Jun '02 member I've seen post. Welcome to the forums. If you keep making intelligent observations and comments, you'll fit in quickly ;)

11. netslave

May 30, 2002
    awe, he just read my above post and copied it. :p just kiddin. but as I sed before, and agreeing with vatolio. I don't think vader knew at all.

12. Clone434

Clone434 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I'm sorry, but I still have a hard time believing that information about some kid pilot shooting wamp rats with precision back on his home planet, with his former last name, and living with the closest thing he has to a family wouldn't somehow work its way up the imperial chain. Heck, Luke's trying to go to the academy! Don't you think the Skywalker name on the application would raise an eyebrow or two?

13. Cruelt-Kan-Lamech

Cruelt-Kan-Lamech Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    For starters, don't forget that even GL makes mistakes and forgets things.

I think it is obvious that Vader never even knew he had kids. If he knew, he would have found them. He knows Luke is strong in the force almost immediately when fighting a space battle. He just had no reason to know who it was. I think it is also obvious when Skywalker becomes a hero to the Rebels, Vader heres about it from there and puts it together. Plus, the first time he saw the just some boy who was Luke, Luke was with Obi-wan. That and the name had to have been proof.

Anywho as for the mystery of the armys, maybe I am just dense and it is obvious the Jedi came to some conclussion but I think GL just kinda let it drop because of the way the action just explodes. It's more than remotely possible when writing a script to just forget tying up all the peices. Besides, it might be delt with in Epp III. But I think he dropped the ball. No complaints here though, (except doing the RPG is getting dificult cause the exemption...)

Oh, and to Clone, I am pretty sure nobody
    cept obi, yoda, palpy knew that Vader=Anikin Skywalker. Seriously, Think about it. Who would know to tell Vader? Vader dosn't broadcast his former incarnation. That name holds no meaning to me...blahh blah.

14. netslave

May 30, 2002
    maybe skywalker is a popluar last name in the galaxy. anywho, I still believe that paply told him to forget his family. until he realized luke was trainin to be a jedi. then he gave vader the go ahead to get him

edit:
    it would be the same reason why young anakin never flew back and saw his mom. because he has a master and the master says no.

15. Cruelt-Kan-Lamech

Cruelt-Kan-Lamech Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    if this is anywhere else, sorry, but under the heading of this thread it seems valid.

Why dosen't C3P0:
    Tell Luke about his Maker, A man also named Skywalker
    Mention He not only is from Tatooine but has been to the very home before?\
    Say, "Hello, Mister Lars, so good to see you again after so long. Hows Beru"
    And "Mister Obi-Wan, a pleasure as always" and "oh, Master Luke, Obi-Wan Kenobi is a jedi knight, I have worked with him before"

I'm Sure you all can think of other things, but those seem to jump out at me.

Oh, yeah, Jimmy Smitts for Chacelor, Long live Jimmy Smitts

16. Emperor_Kefka

Emperor_Kefka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    I think Obi-wan has a very, very slight suspicion that perhaps Mace or some other Jedi is up to something(which they aren't). In the case of Jango being there, and then in Geonosis, he probably thought it was Dooku trying to get hold of the Clone Army, but Yoda managed to commandeer them before Dooku could get them.

17. netslave

May 30, 2002
    his memory is erased. probably happens in ep3 but we know it happens before ep4

18. darthblader24

darthblader24 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    u have to understand that the jedi did not have the time to investigate why the clones were created and why jango was involved they had to bring them to fight the seperatists, plus palpatine had the power now to use the army and the jedi had to obey

19. IG-99

IG-99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    Obi-Wan simply does not know C-3PO. He never meets him in the PT. R2-D2 is another thing, though. I guess, he is surprised to meet him again in EP4, but doesn't mention it.

20. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Episode III out-take:

Obi-Wan: Lars, now that Anakin has turned to the dark side, he must never know he has a son. [Obi-Wan hands Owen Lars the infant Luke] So I'm going to "hide" Luke with Darth Vader's step brother on the planet Darth Vader grew up on. Oh, and we're going to keep the last name Skywalker, too!

Lars: This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of! The Empire will be here before the end of the week if we do that! Why not take him to Corellia and change his last name?

Obi-Wan: [waving his right hand] Luke's going to live here with you on Tatooine with the name Skywalker.

Lars: Luke's going to live here with me on Tatooine with the name Skywalker.

21. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah this whole Luke living with Owen and holding on to the Skywalker name thing sure feels like one enormous plot hole... I hope Lucas proves himself to be a super genius by weaving the plot to Episode 3 in a way that it is explained well.

RB

22. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    It's simple. Anakin never knew he had kids, or he thinks Padme died before being able to give birth. If it's the latter, it gives more credence to Anakin coming to the conclusion that the Skywalker that blew up the Death Star is the son he thought had died along with his mother. It still works with the former explanation, but I like the latter more.

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    1) I think everyone was suspicious of the clones but there was no other choice at the time.

2) We really don't know the circumstances of Luke's being brought to Tatooine yet. It's very likely that it was Padme who made the decision without all the facts and Obi Wan just had to abide by it.

24. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    That still doesn't explain how Luke gets away using the name "Skywalker." You don't think someone would catch on?

RB

25. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Someone like who? It's a big galaxy and he's on the outer rim. The only person who would even think that he'd be on Tatooine is Vader and he didn't know about him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.