main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Explanation for Force Ghosts?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by YoungAngus, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I always assumed the force ghost idea was Qui Gon being so strong in the force and such an outside thinker that he was able to do it and teach it to Yoda and Kenobi.

Today I thought what if it has to do with destiny?

As a Force User, once you reach your destiny you become one with the force. Similar to Nirvana with Buddishm.

Qui Gon's Destiny-Discover the Chosen One then train him.

He discovered him, but never finished his destiny because he didn't train him. This is why he is only able to be a voice heard by a powerful Jedi.

Yoda-Create a council and lead and teach the Jedi.

He did, and disappeared very quickly.

Obi Wan-It is really hard to find out what his destiny was. He was kinda thrown into things. I guess it could to train Luke?

Anakin-Destroy the Sith

He did and became a FG.

This theory explains how Anakin is able to become one without knowing of it.

Discuss.

2. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Interesting theory. But Yoda did not create the Council.

3. DarthVaderBob

DarthVaderBob Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    The whole force ghost topic is VERY thin when referring to the films. It actually reminded me of the X Files movie, I thought the final episode would answer the questions-it only left me with more.
    Since we're dealing with non reality it's up to GL I guess to have the final say.
    I think Vader did find a way to become one with the force because he was so powerful and chose to return to the "good side" in the end, similar to that of the "thief on the cross".

I think that in the Star Wars universe those who were good became one with the force when their time was up, like Padme, I'm sure she's there waiting for Anakin-I really would've liked to have seen Anakin see her off to the side in Ep. 6 as a new scene!

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    According to the cut scene in ROTS, Qui-Gon says the ability to retain one's consciousness after death was something taught to him by a Shaman of the Wills. It is a state that can only be acheived for one's self, and it's done through compassion, something the Sith will never figure out.

He goes on to say that after he became one with the Force he learned a technique that he teaches Yoda and Obi-Wan how to become one with the Force at will.

Obi-Wan uses it to join the Force before Vader can strike him down, and I believe Yoda uses the techniqe to disappear as he was dying of natural causes, but before he actually died.

That's why Qui-Gon doesn't disappear while Obi-Wan and Yoda do.

Anakin became a force ghost because he learned compassion was the key and died sacrafising himself for his son. Lucas says he actually did disappear, which was something Obi-Wan and Yoda helped him with.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Well, im sure there are other threads where this has been discussed, but I think the force ghost thing is as simple as Qui Gon being the only jedi who concentrated on the Living Force, and was able to tap himself into the Netherworld. His meditation before his death could even be seen as him preparing himself for union. He did not achieve full body union but retaining a non-bodily identity is impressive enough. He of course is still very weak at this point, which is why only the most powerful force-user--Yoda--can briefly sense him whilst in the midst of meditation during a "ripple" in the force due to Anakin's darkside use. Then Qui Gon passes on this knowledge to Yoda and then Obi Wan.
    One theory is that Anakin of course retains his identity by sheer virtue of the fact that he is The Chosen One, conceived by the force and thus able to retain identity. Another is that, in the original scripts to ROTJ, Yoda says that he and Obi Wan will save his spirit when it is passing through the Netherwolrd and thus preserve his identity. Another is that, as Qui Gon says in the deleted sequence in ROTS, immortality is achieved through selfless compassion, which is what Anakin finally accomplishes when he dies to save Luke.

What is odd though is that this last point is nullified within the films since Yoda never divulges exactly how the force ghost trick is accomplished. Furthermore, if Qui Gon has had his identity all this time, why didnt he reveal himself sooner? Was he not strong enough? How did he get stronger? Why didnt he show himself to Anakin and stop him? How does he even know exactly how to preserve his idenity, and why didnt he tell anyone sooner? There is a lot of unanswered questions so basically you just have to form your own answer based on the possibilities i summarised earlier. The books and EU have sorta explained some of it, but it still isnt quite enough, and as a plot device in the films it very weak and confusing.

6. JediMasterKenobi07

JediMasterKenobi07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    I would like too see Anakin meeting Padme' after he reaches the other side as well.

7. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

They should Redo the end of RoTJ to have Anakin fade into the picture, then Padme. Luke seems to get it, but then Qui-Gon appears. Luke is starting to get confused. All of the sudden Ki-Adi Mundi, Ploo Kon, Sesee Tin, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, and more start showing up. Suddenly Yaddle and other random Jedi appear. Before you know it, 1000 Force Ghosts are there with Yoda up on Anakin's shoulders and Anakin jumping up and down so they can see Luke and wave to him. All of the sudden, every Jedi that ever lived appears, and there are just ghosts everywhere. We see Reven, Bastilla, Jolee, Juhani, and all of our KoTOR era favorites. Luke screams out, WHAT THE HELL? WHY DIDNT THE REST OF YOU HELP! and then he freaks out and runs into the woods. The 1000000 force ghosts give chase and Luke spends the rest of his life in seclusion constantly being badgered by dead force users. THAT would be awesome.

Carnage

8. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    You forgot Mace. Mace has to show up before Plo Koon because Plo Koon doesn't even get one line of dialogue.

9. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    No, Mace shows up at the very end to tell all the rest of the force ghosts that "This party is over."

Carnage

10. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004

....and then....and then....like the force it out of balance....and then like...like ....1000000 sith are brought back to life to create a new balance...and then....oh man....like an all new sith vs jedi war breaks out!! AND THEY ALL USE DOUBLE BLADED LIGHTSABERS!!!!! [face_hypnotized]

[face_beatup] im sorry, i got a little carried away there....[face_shame_on_you]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.