Explanation for "laser walls" in TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NorCalBirdz, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    I was just wondering if there was ever any sort of attempt to explain the laser walls in TPM. The ones that seperate Obi-Wan from Darth Maul and Qui-Gon in Duel of the Fates. The intermittent opening and closing seems too serve no obvious purpose, and even Lucas seems content to call them a "contrivance"(DVD commentary), the novel sheds no light either.

Personally it doesn't bother me, I was just wondering if there was any sort of official explanation, or feel free to conjecture.

Strilo edit: This thread is redundant...
  2. Darth_IRS Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Maybe it's some kind of decontamination area.
  3. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    The molten pit Maul falls into is where they refine their chromium (the chrome finish on their ships). They heat up the raw ore until the impurities are all burned off. This can cause toxic fumes which need to be vented at varying intervals to keep the emissions from becoming too toxic.

Thats what the laser gates are for. Controlled by special sensors they open and close to allow just the right amount of airflow. They also serve the purpose of keeping varmints from getting into the chromium, which would mess up the batch.

There are seven of them to commemorate an ancient Naboo tale of the seven gates that held back all chaos. That was a purely artistic decision.

Lucas is showing how the galaxy used to be euqal parts art and function in the prequels, while in the classic trilogy shows a galaxy more interested in function than art.
  4. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    They also serve the purpose of keeping varmints from getting into the chromium, which would mess up the batch.

Guess they ended up with a bad batch then, huh? :p
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.