main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Explanation of Rey's "Force Knowledge"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Derringer, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    I found it interesting that some fans are complaining about Rey's use of the 'Jedi Mind Trick' and her ability to summons Luke's lightsaber after Ren struck down Finn. We're supposed to consider these 'plot hole' because Rey, unlike Luke, had no "Uncle Ben" to explain The Force to her.

While not specifically explained in the film, the answer is obvious if you stop and think about it. Rey was able to glimpse the nature of The Force - as well as her own sensitivity to it - thanks to Kylo Ren.

When Kylo attempted to read her mind, she fought back and during their mind struggle she turned the tables on him and got a glimpse into HIS mind. But I seriously doubt the only thing she discovered was that Ren feared he'd never be as strong as Darth Vader. I don't think it was a coincidence that she escaped AFTER after Kylo Ren left her to tell Snook.how strong she was with The Force.

Agree, disagree?

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I was gonna make an analogy about discovering how to use the force with no prior knowledge of it but I'd probably get banned for it

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    This could be discussed in the Rey thread.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  4. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    You mean the 94-post thread about her parentage?

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rey is a Salami and can suck people's force power up like a vacuum. Didn't anyone read those European Union novels about the evil Thong people?

kefo1968 and rdhight like this.
  7. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    I don't know what message boards you've been frequenting but throwing out a new topic in an existing thread is called thread hijacking by most board moderators.

8. QuikForce

QuikForce Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Just because you can "connect" strongly to the Force does not mean you know how to use specific Force techniques. Analogy: just because you can hit a tennis ball doesn't mean you can drop a backhand slice just over the net without guidance and practice.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    *coughlookatthetitleofthemovieyoudorkscough*

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Discussing Rey's powers in a thread about Rey's character is hardly hijacking it.

11. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    That thread is who Rey's parents are. This thread is about how she is able to use her powers. Quit being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Frankly, we should just take all these threads and, ya know, merge them into the Daisy Ridley thread. Just saying.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Honestly she looks like she's having a focal epileptic seizure right before using the force a couple of times. I don't think that's the intended explanation though.

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, we'll be discussing her powers in the other threads. You have fun with yours. :)

15. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    LOL Apparently that's what MeBeJedi expects.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well IAreTheInternets, and my word is law.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  17. BlueDmighty

BlueDmighty Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Disagree.

I watch sports all the time.
    I'm healthy, tall, strong, fast, and black.

I should just be able to dominate right?

whostheBossk and Radjedi like this.
  18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm sorry but glimpsing the force through Kulo doesn't explain it. In some ways, Kylo was one of the strongest dark side users we have seen. After 3 movies of training, Luke was no match for Sideous. Everyone knew it too - Luke, Yoda, Obi, Vader. There was never any question at all as to whether Luke could have a shot against Sideous. I personally feel he only bested Vader in RotJ because Vader's heart wasn't in the fight. We obviously know for a fact that he didn't want to kill Luke given his turn to the light five seconds later.

Without a second of training, Rey beat this movie's Vader. That's very new. It turns the mythology on its head. Turning the mythology on its head isn't necessarily a bad thing, but either way it happened. She was Anakinized, although even Anakin in TPM didn't accidentally use the force against Sith Lords.

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    All of these complaints presume that Rey didn't have any previous Force or Jedi traiing because they didn't see her training or using the Force prior to the movie. Presumptuous because we don't know what happened to her before she was left on Jakku.

whostheBossk and QueenSabe7 like this.
  20. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Kylo Ren is a far cry from Vader, that the film's text went to great pains to demonstrate. People just don't want to accept it.

Green Gogol likes this.
  21. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    Give me a break. First off, Rey 'beat' a guy who: 1) was FAR from being a Sith Lord; 2) was severely injured; and 3) had to have been feeling the emotional ramifications of murdering his father.

Second, I recall Luke defending himself against a blaster drone while blind folded, destroying the DeathStar by shooting a torpedo through a pea hole with any tracking devices; and pulling his lightsaber from the snow into his hand without any training either. So please spare us the "turns the mythology on its head' hyperbole.

Green Gogol likes this.
  22. BlueDmighty

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes left on Jakku.
    When she was 6.

So was Luke just passing out the
    King's Haki like candy?

OK kids, who wants to learn mind control?

MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Not only are your posts awesome, my brain reads them all in an Adam Sandler voice, making them even funnier

24. BlueDmighty

Dec 19, 2015
    He's a far cry from Vader because of his attitude and presence.

In terms of power and ability,
    He pooped on Vader AND Palatine in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

And WHAT make Vader a Sith lord outside of story say so?

NEVER seen Vader use Force Lightning.

25. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    If you're going to discount what the story itself says, then why are we even discussing this? Darth Vader was a Sith Lord, Kylo Ren is not. You're trying to equate a good internet chess player with a Grand Master.

Green Gogol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.