main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Explanation of Rey's "Force Knowledge"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Derringer, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    agreed. Especially the stuff about yoda and obi wan. I liked the jedi bros team they formed in revenge of the sith.

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    It's not a question of "powering up." It's about how it didn't come so easily to Anakin, the chosen one, or his galactic hero son. Anakin didn't consciously use the force as a child, prior to being taught how to use it. He didn't learn from watching QG from a distance. In AotC, he was random Jedi no. 3.2. By RotS, he could beat Dooku, but was destroyed by Obi, the guy he previously lost against Dooku with. Anikan wasn't shown to have new skills we'd never seen or heard of as the chosen one. He was slightly better than other Jedi with his reflexes, but still, the dark side was quicker and easier always than the light side. After growing up with Jedi training, the chosen one couldn't tag team Dooku and keep all his limbs. He needed Yoda to rescue him.

Similarly, Luke clearly struggled. After three movies, he wasn't the bestest ever. He could do some parlor tricks on the weak minded, and sort of beat Vader (I'm throwing people a bone in that because I honestly don't count the RotJ duel with Vader as a win for Luke). It wasn't shown to be a challenge for Rey. She didn't beat Snoke yet, but with her learning curve, I don't see why Snoke would be a challenge within a movie to a movie and a half. I almost think it's disingenuous to try and argue that Rey fits in with our previous understanding of mastering the force. Clearly, she doesn't.

As for TCW not being reliable, I agree in the sense that movie writers will never feel all that bound to it, and I agree that much of it was bad, but nonetheless it is the highest quality source of deep canon we have to draw examples from. There were a lot of Jedi doing a lot of stuff in that show and it is all, technically, canon. It is relevant to bring up TCW when the new bad guy people call a novice is using an awesome skill that was never seen on that show that would have been useful in countless situations. That retcons what we know about the force prior to TFA. Kylo is demonstrably not a novice, unless everyone agrees TFA has completely flipped the script on what we know about force mastery.

3. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    The instruction that Qui Gon gave to Anakin is exactly "watch everything that I do." So it is already established since TPM that you can learn something of the force only by looking.

And all through AOTC, Anakin complains that the Jedi are holding him back. I always interpreted it as him being able to do things quickly and easily, but no, he had to slow down and follow the old Jedi learning structure. That was the fatal error of Obi-Wan as a teacher. Failing to adapt to his padawan. Instead he followed old ways religiously and only caused frustration, resentment and anger in Anakin, which led to Darth Vader.

kefo1968 likes this.
  4. ForceSpeed

ForceSpeed Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2016
    I agree Rey's powers seem far more advanced than the other novices and even padawans we've been shown.
    Could it have something to do with Anakin/Vader bringing balance to the force and fulfilling the prophecy? Maybe the bringing of balance to the force is the light side awakening more powerful. The dark side has always seemed more powerful in the past, despite what Yoda said.(I think Yoda was just trying to keep Luke from being tempted)

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    How are Rey's powers so advanced? Again, people are making ASSUMPTIONS. She literally is able to call on the force 2 or 3 times. It's never shown that anything she does is repeatable and it's pretty clearly implied she's not sure how she even did it.

Green Gogol likes this.
  6. AzvAsana

AzvAsana Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2016
    100% AGREED!! Those were my thoughts exactly! I wonder what else she saw when she was in his head?

7. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    The exhibitions she displays are quite advanced for the amount of experience and training she seems to have with the force. I would actually like the explanation that they are just flukes, and Rey got ridiculously lucky, lol.

8. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    I thought it was as simple as Rey being a force sensitive, and being calm and confident.

Anakin was confident to the point of vast arrogance.

Luke had major confidence issues, and little patience.

I mean, Obi-Wan and Yoda were always preaching, "believe in yourself, trust in the force! Patience! Don't be arrogant! Be calm!"

Seems to me Rey's primary advantage is her good attitude and belief in herself. The force responds heavily to those qualities.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  9. kefo1968

kefo1968 Jedi Knight

Jan 2, 2016

If only his name was Snook. Way better than Snoke.

10. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Only based on your assumptions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.