main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Exploding Ring?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by mr_jimfud, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_jimfud

mr_jimfud Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if anybody knows how to create that cool looking circular blast ring effect. (eg death star explosion in the special edition)
    Is it done in Photoshop / After Effects?

I would be very greatful if anybody has any ideas.

( I am seeing it everywhere and it's driving me crazy!!! :))

2. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    ::bumpy soooooooo bumpy::

;)
    Kyle

3. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Oh, please...no BSRs (Big Stupid Rings)...please. I beg of you!

(@#$%in' hate BSRs)

4. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    lol RocketGirl

;)
    Kyle

5. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah I gotta agree. Can we have an expanding *sphereical* shockwave for once? I mean something which is actually physically accurate?

The BSRs come from misunderstood WW2/'nam footage where you see a "ring" blast on the GROUND.... but only due to the fact the spherical shockwaves interactino w. the ground.

That said...... I used a BSR in the explosion in the Nina Goddess video. Ooopsie. :)

But thats just an AVI of a circular fire wavefront mapped to a plane....

/Z

6. Kingleonard

Kingleonard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    Part of this tutorial from creativecow.net deals with that sort of effect. It needs After Effects and a plug in called Shine from Trapcode. Good luck with your BSR ;)
    (Physically incorrect? Yes. Pretty cool lookin'? You betcha :D)

7. Obi-Wanabee

Obi-Wanabee Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2002
    Maybe I didnt read it, but what program are you using to try to make the explosion. I like these tutorials:
    http://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/explore/

shows you how to make and explosion as well as add the ring to it.

and if you dont know how to make an explosion when then try either one of these (in order of preference :) )
    http://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/explore2/
    http://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/blast/

hope it helps.

8. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    I bookmarked a really nice 3ds max tut yesterday. I'll post it when I get home tonight.

9. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i like that sonic wave in pearl harbor when the arizona explodes, that was sweet!

10. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
  11. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    spherical??? what do you mean spherical??? things in space exist EXCLUSIVELY on the XZ plane... there is no Y in space, no up and down... Take Episode I for example... The Trade Federation blockade is on the XZ plane, and the Naboo cruiser must go through it, not around it... trust me, there is ABSOLUTELY no Y axis in space. if there was, then maybe the Naboo cruiser could have gone above or below the blockade. Let's face it.. Sio was a smart man, I'm sure that if the Y-axis was a possibility, he would have opted for that route. But no, there isn't a Y-axis. Nope. None at all.

;)

12. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    things in space exist EXCLUSIVELY on the XZ plane... there is no Y in space

Oh, coordinate system wars!

What you mean is, there is no Z in space, right? (in the Max world, Z is up, XY is the groundplane)

/Z

13. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    in Maya, as well as in mathematics, Y is up.

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sio was a smart man, I'm sure that if the Y-axis was a possibility, he would have opted for that route.

Sio Bibble was Naboo's answer to Santa Claus.

Ric Olie was the pilot of the Naboo starship.

M. Scott

15. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    in Maya, as well as in mathematics, Y is up

Mathematics... yeah.... It's up on the "paper", but the paper is lying on a table! :)

/Z

16. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    true that, DorkmanScott. <<hangs head in shame>>

17. Kingleonard

Kingleonard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    Don't know about your school, but at mine it was on a blackboard - x = horizontal, y = vertical, z = depth.

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Y axis is considered up and down everywhere I've seen except 3DS Max, for reasons I can't begin to figure out.

If you think about it, in a two dimensional world, there could only be height and width, no depth. Like a movie screen. Hence the groundplane would not be the base unit of measure. X would be width, Y height.

When you add a third dimension, you need another letter in the sequence, Z, and that dimension is depth.

M. Scott

19. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Heh.

To be a bit serious about this subject... this coord system confusion is kinda fun.

It's even funnier; In the swedish military service, X is up (on a map, i.e. north, so actually Z is up "towards the sky", but the swedish armies have X and Y reversed for no logical reason whatsoever ;) )

It's funny hos these two different concepts on what is "up" in computer graphics.

Most of it stems from if the program evolved out of the "graphic people" world or the "architectural cad" world.

And I mean that "graphic people" are more interested in how things look when you look at them "head on" whereas "architectural cad" thinks more in floorplans.

Btw, funny anecdote: 3D Studio version 1 (and I dont mean MAX 1, before it was MAX) had Y up. When they were aqquired by Autodesk and became "kinetix", they had to change to XY == groundplane to match a billion billion billion AutoCAD drawings.

I've worked for 13 years w. AutoCAD programming, and for anyone coming from that world, Z is most definitely up. ;)

Hence the groundplane would not be the base unit of measure

Say that to an architect and he will most definitely disagree with you. He thinks floorplans, and groundplane being XY is very natural to him. Not to mention mapping or GIS (survey) people. E.t.c.

Whereas people who started to do 2D math graphs on a computer screen can easily make Z depth, and extend "Z is depth" into the world coordinate system.

In Star Trek, Z is up too. Witness Wrath-of-Khan ;)

I venture to say that in the entire CAD world, Z is up.

/Z

20. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    i hate star trek. i will now dedicate my life to traveling the world, scratching up star trek dvd's and taking high powered magnets to star trek vhs's. :D

21. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Pixelito...MARRY ME! :D

(I hate Star Trek with the white-hot fury of a thousand suns, myself...)

22. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    okay... :D

23. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    hey, mr.jim,
    who said you could have my icon?!

:D

24. Twisted_Hero

Twisted_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1