main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Expressions Help, After Effects - Lens Flares

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    w00ts

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2009/10/blog-show-optical-flares-bears-oh-my/

2. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    So that's where all the hair gel went.

But seriously, that's an annoyingly powerful plugin. I don't think he realizes what he's doing here. This is going to be the new Shine.

3. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    Seriously... That is a crazy amount of control there. I'm afraid of all the little vcpers and their lens flare-crazy videos that will soon follow its release, and at the same time very excited. Very. What will I do with KLF after this..

4. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    Andrew Kramer is despisable and admirable in equal proportions. Enterprising, talented, oddly likeable bastard that he is.

5. BenMcEwan

BenMcEwan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Why is it that we can both love and hate him at the same time?
    But seriously, I gotta buy this plugin..

6. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Everyone should just build their own. Every knuckle-headed AE user is gonna have the same looking flares soon. Have some uniqueness and get some experience with expressions.

7. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I agree to some extent, Ryan. Except the expressions part. I hate expressions...ha.

I will be getting this plugin, but I won't be using the presets. I plan to go through actual films, with real flares, and build Optical Flare presets right on top of them to match. That way I can have organic, natural looking flares. Build a library, as it where. Nerdgasm.

I'll be happy to share my custom presets with you fine folks when it comes out. In fact, maybe we can create a TFN library of flares. That would rule.

8. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    =P~ sweeeeeet. But we have to keep them exclusive like, so as not to have the vcpers here take them and release them to the rest of the interwebs...

9. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Whoops a doodle.

10. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Wrong thread fail.

11. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    See how long I've been out of the game?
    I guess it's makes me a little less of a dork, but I guess I can't navigate around a forum.

12. AidanOnasi

AidanOnasi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    great to hear youre going to make some... [face_peace]

- MK

13. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Weee!!!!!

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2010/01/optical-flares-in-action/

14. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    What impresses me most is how they managed to navigate the AE plugin SDK to come up with something like this.

15. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    I got the place I'm working at to buy this for me today, and holy jesus.

Buy, now.

16. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    INDEEEEED.

17. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I bought it 30 minutes after it was released. Worth every penny. Would love to see what you guys come up with while using it.

18. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    Hopefully they get up their network system up in the very near future... I'm still working off of that page you posted earlier with the flare examples to try and replicate those. Should be interesting to see other people's creations. Its like, playing with legos. In a way... Never mind.

19. Covert-Sniper

Covert-Sniper Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 21, 2006
    Temptation...must resist...but its so pretty...

Sadly, I'd probably just be one of the noobs throwing flares everywhere.

Off Topic: Not to gripe, but please tune down the language.

20. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    This is me tuning down the language, as evidenced by the fact that "holy jesus" isn't even a satisfactory expletive.

21. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    How are you guys doing with OF so far? Coming up with any exciting hand-made presets? I, too, bought it on release day, but haven't been able to play with it as much as I'd like. The tutorial content included with the plug-in has been fun to watch, though (I've been converting it and watching it on my iPhone on my way to and from work, when I can't be actually working in AE) -- it's neat to see some of the creative ways one can use a plug-in like this.

Take care,
    Sojourn

P.S. Nice to see y'alls again! I've been gone for a while, but checking in every now and again. :)

22. ZNichols

ZNichols Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Sweet tap dancing Christ this is a powerful plug-in!

23. Sojourn

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm loving some of the advanced tracking features -- the ability to automatically track lights (based on their names), as well as spots of luminance (like what he shows with the particle system), and even to track along a mask path? So awesome. It makes me wish other things were so easy to track . . . for example, can you tie the position of a null object to a mask path as easily as you can with OF? That would be a really fun way of animating . . . well, I was going to say cameras, but I suppose anything, by parenting to the null.

Take care,
    Sojourn

24. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I've made one preset, but I've been too busy to do anymore. But I have a project coming up that will need a lot of anamorphic flares, so I'll be making more in the near future.

http://www.videocopilot.net/prenet/u/danielbroadway/toddana38mm/

25. Sojourn

Dec 31, 2005
    Nice! All of this reminds me of that Batman Begins-inspired flare package you were working on years ago in KLF. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.