main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Extended Version of Throne Room Song

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Indy3, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I have a cd that has songs from all 3 movies on one cd

and it has an extended throne room song that is sooooo much better then I have ever heard

any reason why they didnt release this extended one of the later cds?

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Can you be more specific -- what CD?

3. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    I guess you are referring to the concert arrangement of The Throne Room/Finale, which has been recorded for several different releases. I'd also guess that the one you own is the Skywalker Symphony one, right?

The answer would be that, like the concert arrangements of The Asteroid Field and Han Solo and the Princess, no original recordings (to my knowledge) were made of these pieces at the time that the scores for each film were recorded. I think that these were all adapted afterwards.

4. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    This cd:

[image=http://img29.exs.cx/img29/1702/Pic17.jpg]

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    //sees thread title

//sits in corner and dribbles

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Indeed, hal. Some folks in these new threads need to read your signature. ;)

7. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    can someone answer my question?

thanks

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Dan did

9. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Ditto. It's a concert arrangement = this means it was re-written to be performed at concerts, it does not reflect nor fit in with any of the movies in any way.

10. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    "Ditto. It's a concert arrangement = this means it was re-written to be performed at concerts, it does not reflect nor fit in with any of the movies in any way. "
    Exactly. It's Williams adapting the music as "pure" music, without having to worry about fitting it to on screen action.
    Howard Shore has recently done the same for his LOTR music..although Shore seems to have written a full scale symphony, while Willimas preferred to adapt individual segments.

BTW I always considered the throne room music to be WIlliams' tribute to the Marches of Edward Elgar. Just listen to some of Elgar's marches, compare them to the Throne Room music, and you will see what I mean.
    Has anybody done a thread on how Williams paid tribute to a lot of his favorite classical composers in his "Star Wars Score".
    Another real obvious one is the "Imperial March"; it has a more then coincidental resembelance to "Mars" in Holst's "The Planets".

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    it has a more then coincidental resembelance to "Mars" in Holst's "The Planets".

Why? Because it uses brass?

I don't see this connection. Now Gladiator and Mars :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.