main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by frodoandsam69, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frodoandsam69

frodoandsam69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2004
    Will external hard drives sustain a high enough data rate to be able to edit on them?

2. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    A firewire-connected external harddrive is a good thing, child. In time, you will learn the ways of the firewire-connected external harddrive, and become a mage of firewire-connected external harddrive as I have become.

3. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Translation: yes. ALL of my video is stored on externals. I have a 250 GB with rapidly decreasing space and a 160 daisy-chained off of it with some space still left. Firewire is your friend.

4. Sheps

Sheps Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2004
    Firewire or USB 2.0 should be fast enough for what you need. If you have a computer bought in the last year or so you'll definitely have at least one of these ports.

5. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    You can not sit at the helm of a USB-connected external harddrive and declare unto yourself the status of mage.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Between my two connected computers, I have over a Terabyte of internal storage. There are several 150's, 200's and 250 Gb drives, all IDE.

7. frodoandsam69

frodoandsam69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2004
    so whats the different in speed to the average firewire connected drive?

8. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Though USB 2.0 is rated at a higher throughput speed, FireWire delivered faster performance on external hard drives when connected to a desktop.

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,844061,00.asp

Question: Which is faster Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or FireWire?
    Answer: In sustained throughput FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

Question: If Hi-Speed USB 2.0 is a 480 Mbps interface and FireWire is a 400 Mbps interface, how can FireWire be faster?
    Answer: Differences in the architecture of the two interfaces have a huge impact on the sustained throughput.

Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and then Hi-Speed USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:
    * 5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
    * 160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0
    Write Test:
    * 5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
    * 160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

Source: http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

9. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, I was going to warn against USB 2.0, but I didn't want to do the research and I had a class coming up so I didn't have the time to explain it. Thanks, odj.

I have almost half a terabyte. 80, 160, and 250.

10. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    I've got a USB 2.0 external unit but only use that for archiving on my collection of old hard drives...

11. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm using a 300GB external hard drive and it works fine. I don't really see a difference. If you have a lot of RAM and a good processor, external hard drives are good especially if you have a lot of footage to edit and you don't have the room your hard drive.

12. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    A bigger effect on the effectiveness of a drive whole editing is this: drive speed. Nowadays, most drives that you buy have the drive speed to be able to work with MiniDV fairly well.

*checks his stats*

7200 RPM on both of my drives. Acomdata FireWire/USB 2.0.

13. Neothehacker

Neothehacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2004
    I sometimes use my mp3 player(20gb) to edit on! by usb2

14. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Now I must say I've never heard of that before. Is the storage solid-state or an actual drive?

15. insta111

insta111 Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I have one like that. It's pretty much a large flash drive that can play the music that's being stored on it.

16. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    Yea for me these external hard drives has been a real lifesaver for me to put my extra footage on. Ive got a 120GB drive and im thinking of getting another. Ive got about 30GB still on my PC hard drive, just enough to hold new footage, then I transfer it out over to the external drive. I would advise anyone in the movie business and does alot of filming and stuff to get one. They are indeed handy!

17. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    I would avoid USB 2 for video editing. I have 5 firewire hard drives connected to my computer right now. I also have 4 internal ATA drives.
    80 GB int
    40 GB int
    120 GB int
    200 GB int
    120 GB ext
    120 GB ext
    200 GB ext
    500 GB ext
    500 GB ext

Total: 1.88 TB

I only have 487 GB available

I did have to add two PCI 2-port firewire cards to my computer. Once I hit over 4 external firewire drives my computers 2 built-in firewire ports started acting a little funny. I had my camera into one port and the 4 externals daisy-chained into the other. It was too much for the one port.

18. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I use 200gig FireWire 800 External Drives, blazing fast and never had any issues with them, Lacie drives to be specific.

19. Fall-in-Jedi

Fall-in-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    I have a total of 355Gigs and 300 of them are out side firewire, works great!...Stay away from USB like a Jedi would the dark side...

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.