main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I like how you let that stand but edit me, Point Given.

=D==D=^:)^=D==D=

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You ever going to answer this?

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I frankly don't trust PG to let me respond on it. [face_plain]

Um, but yes. I did see that first time and got a "no records found". Now I get a string of seemingly unrelated posts.

Hit me with the bare bones of it; PG will allow that. I just have to be super careful with my response. Hell, he'll probably consider this a "personal attack". :rolleyes:

4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, it seems the link no longer works. However it isn't too difficult to go to thread, type in my username in the search and click "search this thread only."

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, ok - you were basically saying where did you use a cynical tone to contribution, as per my allegation?

I'll see if I can find them. Just conscious though that we're derailing a thread and whilst that's ok for you, a certain mod is boosting his ego by taking me down a peg and I don't want to give him any ammunition.

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Ho boy.

"cynical images or comments to illustrate this same point."

That specific point.

As for derailing this thread, it's not particularly active. Also you've gotten away with many many insults at my direction. So what if a couple get edited? You're not being persecuted.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Erm, I'd disagree on that point. It's always the same person editing.

OK, so I reviewed the thread. You were right; I retract the remark and will do so there.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm glad that you're retracting, however this isn't the first time you've randomly associated me with a a position you disagree with and unless you actually read my posts rather than dismissing them out of hand as 'the vlm of politics,' it certainly won't be the last time.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh probably not.

10. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    is it sexytime now?

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
  12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Would it really be so awful to nuke the entire region? It's mostly desert anyway. :p

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Get out.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Why are nukes so taboo? It'll give that whole area a fresh start...in a few hundred years or so.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

We don't take so kindly to advocation of genocide, however jokingly. Cut it out.

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

[​IMG]

dp4m likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yes, I was joking about an extreme response, but it's hardly an isolated sentiment. I continuously hear similar suggestions being tossed around, especially on social media.

I haven't really been keeping up with the ISIS news, as the stories of how tormented the common people are in that region was enough for my soul to cringe (stories of parents cutting themselves so that their starving babies could drink their blood and gather some meager semblance of nourishment, etc). But from what little else I've heard, too little is being done to deter ISIS.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Too little, like Iranian military intervention in Syria and Iraq, Russian arms (warplanes and artillery) being sent to Iraq, Kurdish (PYG, PKK, and Peshmerga) battles against ISIS, US and Syrian airstrikes on ISIS targets?

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Clearly our knowledge on the subject differs. Since you appear to be more recently informed of the situation than I, is there an estimation about how much longer we can expect ISIS to remain a threat?

Last I heard (and remember, I admitted to stop listening to these stories a little while ago due to involuntary queasiness), ISIS was on the way to becoming a global threat rather than an isolated threat.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There are no words to explain how ridiculous this question is.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey, Vivec, can you tell me how long, reasonably, you think we need to worry about continental drift?

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Well, based on your previous reply, you seemed confident that plenty is being done to stop the group. My latest information suggests that insufficient tactics have been employed and that ISIS stands to continue expanding.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Too busy trying to calculate when the DPRK falls.

dp4m likes this.
  25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Ultimately there is nothing we really can do. We're fighting an ideology and you can't defeat ideas. I mean we could technically stop the threat but it would require us to take actions and use methods none of us would find morally or ethically acceptable in the slightest.

I mean we can fight them, but they'll fight back and the collateral damage will result in more people flocking to them. We can not fight them, they'll still fight us and they'll still grow. Ultimately it's a lose lose.

We have to accept their going to kill thousands of people every year and decide if we'd rather save our money and spend it domestically and accept a few dozen terrorist attacks or massacres, or spend money fighting it and getting the same result.