main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The al-part wasn't what I was getting at. It's what follows the al. I would wager few of these people have any real connection to the place they're supposedly "of", and they're clearly not their last names. Wocky's post further up spells out my point.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Assad seems to be boxed into a corner.

[​IMG]

Gray: ISIS
    Yellow: Kurds
    Green: The Rebels
    White: Al Nusra / Al Qaeda
    Blue: Hezbollah
    Orange/Pink/Red: Respective central governments

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Nobody puts Assad in a corner...

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Haha, no. The Syrian government controls most of the major cities-- in addition to air power and economic resources. This war is not going to end with Assad's fall, at least not any time soon. The theoretical extent of the Islamic State's control is misleading. Most of that gray area is sparsely populated desert, with settlements along rivers and roads.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Assad is far from boxed in; Damascus will not fall. US will unofficially assure that will not happen.

6. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I don't think the US has any control of whether or not Asad falls. And after all the drum beating when the regime was supposedly using chemical weapons, I would reckon the US wouldn't be sad at all if his government did collapse.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

I don't think we'll mourn its passing either, however, each time one of these tin pot dictators falls something worse rises in its place.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    My initial desire would be to get all the innocent civilians out of the way, then nuke the bastards. But in practicality, I'd send about 1,000 Navy Seals, Army Rangers, and expert Marines into their camps with tons of ammo, and send those murderers to hell. If they surrendered, they'd be arrested; if they attacked, they'd die. No more insurgents, no more war. We need to show people in other countries that no matter what they think, we will protect this country from ANYONE who tries to cause trouble, period. We'd dismantle all their bombs, take all their weapons, and drive them out like the cockroaches they are. Once that's done, we'd turn our attention to helping the actual innocents...but you can't do both at the same time. History's repeatedly shown it doesn't work. Its like cutting weeds at the top, instead of pulling out the roots.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    And you do realize that doing that would recruit more people to ISIS' cause, right? Their whole deal is that we're like modern day crusaders trying to take their land, their wealth, and their people from them. Then here you come with your cowboy schtick and prove to the world that you are crusaders and doing just that. You don't think maybe that'll increase an already volatile situation?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Moviefan, although I am sure you are a Movie fan, this is not The Avengers. Tony Stark can't be sent in with a magic screen that tells him when Thor has picked up all of the "innocent civilians" to get them out of the way in time for the nuking.

11. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm aware of that, but our primary mission in any war should be to get rid of the enemy, BEFORE dealing with everyone else's feelings. The moment all the psychos are gone, we turn and help those left behind.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think you're doing a better job describing yourself and those who believe like you more effectively than anything else you've offered.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm trying to figure out what he thinks we are going to nuke. There is not a country called ISIS that I know of, or a singular location where said nukes can be dropped to get them all and that will not simply sprout new terrorists under some other name. Oh I know, just nuke the whole Middle East. That'll show "them".

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The "psychos" live with the normal people. When the bomb drops, they're all gone. And then the relatives of the innocents who were killed get really pissed off, and they become recruits, as previously mentioned.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Do you know, it's odd. I was possibly even more flat-tax, anti-welfare, etc. as a younger person than I have become over the last two decades... that's not common, I suspect, as it probably goes in the other direction more but still... c'mon, man!

16. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'll take that as a compliment; I'd rather be a fierce defender of freedom, than a coward who tries to pacify terrorists firmly bent on annihilating my country if given the chance.

No, but we could develop different tactics to gather as many of them as possible into one location. Terrorists have chosen the side of evil, and there's no making peace with hardcore fanatics.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was more conservative in my 20s as well.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    "Camps" Moviefan2k4 You do realize that ISIS controls Mosul right? Not to mention Ramadi, Ar-Raqqah, etc. Even though plenty of civilians have fled, there's still probably 1 million+ civilians still in the city.

Also, the U.S. government, Iraq and the Kurds are planning an offensive to retake Mosul, with Iraqi and Kurdish troops and American airstrikes. Also there's a seperate offensive aimed at Ramadi that's occuring as we speak.

19. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    That would be their choice, but we're not responsible for that. Our job is to destroy the threats, and protect those who honestly want peace. If a terrorist's relative decides to take up their cause out of vengeance, chances are they didn't want peace to begin with.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

You have made this obvious.

21. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm 34, and still a conservative. I refuse to be ashamed of that; courage works more often than cowardice.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I'm saying that you are effectively describing yourself when you attempt to describe "terrorists." There's a discussion to be had about terrorism, as there has been for a long time, but you are not up to the task of that discussion. It's far more nuanced than you seem capable of understanding.

In short, you are what you behold in others. Those "psychos" are basically you, just with different superficial beliefs.

Moderators (heels1785 GrandAdmiralJello JoinTheSchwarz etc.), could we please get this discussion shifted to a more appropriate thread? This is the thread to discuss the presidential election of 2016 and the candidates for the presidency. Anything else is off-topic after more than a few posts.

23. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'd rather be fanatical about peace than fear.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Let's turn this logic around. How many Americans joined the military after 9/11, as a result of seeing innocent people die?

Are you willing to say that all of those people who joined our fighting force didn't want peace to begin with, either?

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    We finally had some good weather here in Chicago, and I met some friends for dinner up on Michigan avenue. Snapped a photo of Donald's skyscraper on the riverfront.

[​IMG]