main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, who would have thought it would be so easy to read one's name in a public forum where both people frequent?

I don't think we should be getting militarily involved in Iraq at all right now. Humanitarian mission ok. Umm, what else?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What happened to using regional powers to do our work for us? Just phone in Turkey and tell them to crush ISIS. They'll happily oblige. And all the hatred for the intervention will go to them.

And if Erdogan won't do it (can he do it, as president now? Or is this a thing for the new premier?) then find somebody who will.

Proxy warring is such a lost art.

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Erdogan is the one who propped up ISIS in the first place, in his attempt to oust Assad. I have a hard time seeing him helping out the Kurds anyway. His whole policy tries to prevent the Kurds getting too powerful in northern Iraq, because if they split and form their own country, Kurds in Turkey might want to join, and that is the last thing he wants.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm going to have to demand you post some sources (legitimate sources, not conspiracy blog sites or youtube videos) for this claim.

5. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
  6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Pretty sure any support Turkey had for ISIS went away once ISIS took over their consulate in Mosul. I believe the people working there are still hostages.

It is odd to me that Turkey hasn't taken a more active role. It looks like with the dysfunction in Baghdad its going to have to be them or the Kurds doing the heavy lifting, and I can't imagine they want the Kurds getting that support (see the rumors that the US and others are starting to funnel weapons to the Kurds). I suppose Erdogan is more focused on reshaping the presidency.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    There was some murmuring of Iran cooperating with the US on it, but Iran got cold feet. I think they're afraid to get involved publicly, what with their already tarnished image in the Arab/Muslim world for continuing to back Assad. The surrounding Arab states I don't know much about, but my feeling is they would be hesitant to openly fight them too. Plus, they like the tremors it causes in the Iraqi government. Even Iran has called for Maleki's resignation now. Turkey would have been the only option, I think.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The Daily Mail's analysis of an analogy? That's your big coup de grace here against Obama?

Uh, what?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I mean, before ISIS was a thing, folks might've supported them just because of the "enemy of my enemy" thing. But while the idea of AQ fighting itself may have seemed nice to some, I think people have since woken up to the danger of ISIS. They're not really in Turkey's interest, and Turkey can only gain standing as a regional power by a successful intervention. That's asking a lot, sure, but there's gotta be some interest calculus there. Iran was musing the same thing, and Turkey doesn't want Iraq owing Iran any favors.

Kurd separatism is a perennial bugbear for the Turks, but I don't see how preventing a genocide means they have to consent to a Kurdish state. If anything, saving a multiethnic Iraq is in Turkey's interest.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  10. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, there was some back and forth about it. Kerry, even publicly saying he wouldn't rule it out, but that it would depend on the specifics of that cooperation. Rouhani gave some statements where he was open to it at first, but then retracted.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Every news agency has the story. I picked the one I thought you would trust. Are you saying it's an accurate analogy?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    J-Rod, just FYI, the British view the Daily Mail in similar ways to how we view the National Enquirer.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not seeing any major news source cover this.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=obama lakers analogy&safe=on

14. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Are you saying it didn't happen?

15. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    No, I'm saying it's not some major thing even worth a moment of controversy. And here you're posting it as if it's relevant to the discussion.

EDIT: And even if we give it discussion, Obama wasn't (and still isn't) wrong with the analogy. Let's look at ISIS' campaigns.

1) Syria: The Syrian Rebels and Assad Regime are busy fighting each other, ISIS makes a play and siezes ground

2) Iraq: After a decade of maligning Sunnis, they, along with Baathist remnants, help ISIS seize Northern Iraq, where the Iraqi Army just let them rather than fighting back.

Up until now, ISIS has been benefiting from circumstances beyond their control.

17. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Good. I thought it made Obama look stupid. I feel better now.

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    As a Brit I can safely say the Daily Mail should never ever be cited as a source of evidence unless you want to look like a fool.

They very recently contradicted their own headline in the headline.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There's nothing you won't twist to make Obama look stupid. Read my edit and see why you're wrong.

20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    It is relevant. We should have been on top of ISIS before now.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    As usual, J-Rod's here with 20/20 hindsight.

1) Why did we need to be on top of ISIS? Why do we even need to be in Iraq at all anymore?
    2) I'm willing to bet you didn't even know about ISIS before June.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Also, the quote is from January. At that point, the IS was pretty insignificant.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    OBAMA COULDN'T PREDICT THE FUTURE! WHAT A TERRIBLE PRESIDENT HE IS!

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Violent Violet Menace and Ghost like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.