main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Eye of the Storm: Alchemy, post-Order 66, OCs, romance, drama, final in series, updated 10/19/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by laloga, Jan 26, 2015.

1. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Chapter Twenty-Five: Aftershock

As it turned out, the joke was on me. Despite Jonas' attempts to slow the disease, I could feel my body growing weaker every day, even as it lingered. I wondered if my spirit refused to let go because I had too much work to do. Again, I was brought to the threshold of my death, and although I knew that I would regret leaving Jonas behind, this time I wasn't afraid.

Perhaps I would have made an adequate Jedi, after all.

However, the real problem came one night when Jonas woke up from his place beside me and laid a hand on my abdomen, his voice tremulous as he attempted to rouse me. “Kam?”

Sleep was still tugging at my brain so I opened my eyes reluctantly and muttered something nonsensical in reply. Some nights it was impossible for me to get comfortable, but this was not one of them. For once it wasn't even that hot, and the lightning-bugs danced at the edges of my vision. His hand sought mine and placed it over my stomach, and I groaned. “Let me sleep.”

But his fear was apparent when he spoke again. “Kamala...you're pregnant.”

One week later...

Leaning forward in the co-pilot's chair aboard the Stark Raven, Kali let out a sigh of relief. “Master Altis.” At last.

Kalinda, it's good to hear your voice.” There was crackle and static, and the holographic image of the Jedi Master wavered more than it should have, but after much trial-and-error, Kali and Ares had finally been able to get a transmission through to the Chu'unthor. A pause, then he gave her a wide smile. “I'm glad to see that you're alive.”

Kali shot a wry look at the Twi'lek beside her; the two of them were alone in the cockpit, having spent the better part of the morning working with the comm. “Well, there was some debate about that for a little while, but we're all okay, now.”

As she spoke, she skimmed her hand across her abdomen almost absently, and the Jedi Master tilted his head, his eyes widening a fraction. “And how are you?”

It was the lack of surprise in Altis' voice that made her chuckle, though eventually she managed a mild shrug. “Eating for two. I think I'm going to put those boys to shame, eventually.” The Jedi Master laughed and offered his congratulations, asking her to pass along his good wishes to Stonewall; beneath his jovial words, however, she could discern an abiding worry. A few more minutes passed before Kali leaned even closer to the holographic image, her brows knitted. “How are things on your end?”

He looked troubled. “The Empire is relentless. We've been on the move constantly since you left. I fear....well,” he sighed and shook his head. “I think things will calm down, eventually, but for now it looks as though the Chu'unthor is on someone's radar. A group of my people were ambushed on Bespin a few days ago...they barely made it back here alive. Upala's been up to her ears in wounded.”

Come to Mundali,” she said at once. “You and your injured and anyone else who wants to. We have an entire planet, and it's safe.”

Safe?”

She took a breath and shook her head. “There's some kind of Force-shield around this planet. It's difficult to explain, now, but I think we'll be hidden from the Empire, at least.” She explained their difficulties reaching the place initially, and he looked curious. “We hope to stay here – long term,” she added. “We're trying to turn this place into a home, as well as we can, but we'll need to collect some supplies, and there are a few other things I'd like to discuss with you.” She paused and glanced at Ares, who looked somewhat anxious. “I really would like you to come here, Master.”

Djinn.” He lifted his brow at her.

She flushed. “Of course. Djinn. Ares is willing to come get you, if you'd care to make the journey.”

He seemed to consider it for a few minutes before he nodded. “I would like that very much, Kalinda.” They spent a few minutes discussing the specifics, and then she made to sign off. However, before she did so, he gave her a pointed look. “Did you find the answers to your questions?”

Sort of,” she replied. “But at this point, I'm just grateful to be alive.” He laughed at this and they bid each other farewell.

When the transmission ended, Ares shot her a crooked grin. “Never a dull moment around Jedi, is there?”

Kali chuckled. “Not exactly.” She gave him a curious look. “If all goes as I hope, things won't always be so exciting here. What are you planning on doing with yourself after you bring Altis?”

The coral-skinned Twi'lek leaned back in his chair and looked thoughtful. “Ah. I'm not sure, actually. Part of me never wants to stop moving, but part of me....” He trailed off and glanced out the viewport, towards the direction of the ruins. “I've never had a reason to want to stay in one place. Until now. Or at least, I thought I did.”

She nodded and, after a moment's thought, put a hand on his arm. “Some things take time, but are definitely worth the wait. In any case, you're welcome to remain here as long as you like. You're one of us now, Ares.” She gave him a wide grin and he laughed.

Several minutes later, she found herself heading back to the settlement alone while Ares remained with his ship; she could see evidence of the fact that their new home was continuing to develop. Weave and Levy were working on setting up some kind of plumbing system throughout the building, while the rest of the clones were engrossed in endless repairs. Already they had created distinct dining and kitchen areas from the wider space of the common room, though the kitchen was little more than Crest's camp-stove beside an open window, to offer ventilation until adequate facilities could be constructed. She'd spent a fair amount of time in the garden with Sita and Crest, who'd taken over the area and were still working to turn it into something that would yield viable crops.

Soon we might be able to grow our own food, she thought as she passed by the building and the garden. A brush with her mind told her that Stonewall was still helping Traxis and the boys working on their living quarters; the only members of her group that she didn't sense in the area were Honi and Zara. She had her comm, but didn't use it, as a moment's reflection told her that they were in the xoorzi caves.

As she began to make her way towards the caverns at a brisk trot, the old injury in her knee twinged and Kali gave a sigh of irritation as she slowed her pace. But after walking for a few minutes, she placed her hand on her abdomen and reached out with the Force – as she had done so often since the battle in the grove – to assure herself that all was well where it truly mattered. It was. Kali smiled to herself and sent a tendril of Force-energy to her unborn child. Come on, little one. Let's go see what your aunts are up to.

It's beautiful, isn't it?” Before she selected another specimen jar from the crate at her feet, Zara took a moment to run her eyes over the cavern's interior, gazing at the xoorzi that coated almost every surface from floor to arching ceiling. She and her master had spent the last week attempting to map out the area, assessing how much of the fungus there was and to what extent the tunnels ran.

Honi was entering information onto a datapad, scanning individual fungi with a device that Weave had given her as she did so. “The phosphorescence is an interesting phenomenon, I suppose. But what I'm more curious about is how hardy this strain of xoorzi appears to be. Normally the slightest disturbance will cause it to wither, but these samples seem remarkably tolerant.” To illustrate, she tucked the 'pad under her shoulder and jabbed at the nearest purple substance with her index finger, watching as it gave easily and sprang back up once her finger lifted.

I'm sorry I said anything. Zara sighed to herself as she leaned close to a bit of fungus, working to shift it into the jar with minimal disturbance.

However, rather than lose herself in her work, as usual, Honi turned to at her Padawan. “Did I tell you how proud I am of you, Zara?”

The words were so unexpected, the Padawan nearly dropped the specimen she was in the process of collecting. As it was she fumbled with the jar's lid for a moment, then turned to face her master. “Me?”

Yes, you,” Honi replied with a raised brow. “You managed a feat that I've never seen another Padawan accomplish...with Kalinda's child.” She paused, then approached her apprentice and placed a hand on her shoulder, giving her an uncommon smile. “I think you'll be a great Jedi, one day.”

A great Jedi. One day. Words escaped her, so Zara merely nodded. They stood in silence for a moment before Honi cleared her throat and turned back to the xoorzi.

Let's not dawdle...we have much to do.” For a while they worked in silence until she felt a familiar presence approaching; her master did as well, and both Jedi glanced up to see Kalinda entering the chamber, looking around appreciatively at the lights that had been set up through the tunnels to illuminate the pathway.

Were you able to contact Master Altis?” Honi asked as she approached the other woman.

Kalinda nodded and the three of them met in the center of the chamber. “I was. Ares is going to leave to bring him here the day after tomorrow; the Chu'unthor is near Genassa at the moment, so it shouldn't take more than a day or so to reach it.” She paused and Zara felt something from her, a leap of apprehension. “He said that he's had some trouble with the Empire. He has wounded...more so than Upala can handle.”

Honi frowned, but kept her silence about the Chu'unthor's lead Healer, whom Zara knew she found to be incompetent. Instead she shrugged and glanced at her datapad. “We have the space; if he can spare some equipment and supplies, or if we can come across our own, we could take care of them.”

This made Zara's eyes widen. “We could help other Jedi by letting them come here to rest and heal.” We could do so much good...just like the Jedi of old.

Or anyone who needs a refuge,” Kalinda added, her expression thoughtful. “Provided we get some bacta tanks – we have the means to manufacture it, to a degree – and some other supplies...this could work....” She trailed off, but it was easy to see that her mind was parsecs away. They were each silent for a few minutes, lost in thought, before Kalinda seemed to come out of it, shaking her head and looking around the cavern, her eyes resting on the small stone altar. “It's strange, but beautiful, isn't it?”

I know what she means. Zara inhaled; the air within the cave was cool and dry, especially compared to the humidity of the outside, and she found that she liked the quiet and the dark almost as much as she liked the bright, humid air. It's really nice here, she thought with a sigh. She glanced at the Jedi – the other Jedi – and felt a thrill of gratitude that she was who she was, where she was.

Even though we've lost so much, it feels like we'll have a chance to rebuild. And I'll get to play a role in it. I can't think of a greater honor. It was a wonderful, frightening thought, and she felt the weight of the responsibility settling over her. She watched as the dark-haired woman moved to stand before the altar at the center of the massive room. “Did you really come here in a dream, Kalinda?”

My mother brought me here,” Kalinda said after a pause. “Well, her spirit did. Her echo.”

Honi sighed and shook her head. “Right. Her echo. I still don't understand all of that.” She watched as Kalinda ran her hand across the altar and seemed to think for a moment.

Finally she replied. “She was going to die, Honi. You know how devastating Quannot's is – and there's no cure, no one even understands how it's contracted – but she was pregnant with me. There was some kind of residual...energy on this planet, trapped in spirit-form....it recognized her desperation and came to her, offered her a solution.”

But it was the spirit of a Force-user?” Zara asked, even as Honi frowned and shook her head again.

Kalinda traced the writing on the stone altar and nodded. “It was one of the people that used to live here, a long time ago. The spirit wanted life again, even after death; to do this, she gave my mother an opportunity, and Kamala took it to save me. Out of love, my mother gave up her body and spirit to allow me a chance at life. But part of her remained, just as the spirit did at the start of all this.” The dark-haired Jedi gave a weak laugh. “'There is no death, there is the Force.'”

Honi said nothing, but seemed to absorb the words. Finally she cleared her throat. “And she saved you again? Even after death?” At Kalinda's nod she exhaled and looked around the chamber again. “Love. She gave up everything out of love for you.” By her expression, it something seemed to have clicked in Honi's brain and she looked at Kalinda, who was staring as if transfixed by the altar. “Is that why you think love and the Force are linked?”

This made Zara's eyes widen, as she had not considered the implication of such a thing.

Maybe,” Kalinda replied. “Love is a powerful force, in and of itself. Don't the poets say that love can ignite the stars?” She smiled at Honi's look of confusion. “Some things can't be quantified neatly, Honi, no matter how much we might wish it. You know, I've heard it said that each Jedi experiences the Force in a different way.”

Perhaps,” Honi replied. There was quiet for a few moments as each of them grew lost in their own thoughts, though Kalinda continued to examine the altar.

Finally the red-haired Jedi took another breath. “Do you think that Stonewall's use of the Force is connected to all of that as well? Through the...feelings you share?”

Kalinda seemed to deliberate about something before she nodded. “I believe so. When Stone and I fell in love, perhaps some of that Force-essence was transferred to him.”

It could be that way, Zara thought, furrowing her brow. I feel like I'm more attuned to water than most others. And Honi's at her strongest when she's healing someone. It was a concept that went against everything she'd been taught, and the Padawan shook her head. “It's...strange, I guess. But you're right. No one really truly understands how the Force works.” She paused, then looked at Kalinda once more, trying to think of how she could vocalize her next thought.

But in her fashion, the other Jedi seemed to know. “Zara, I know I thanked you, afterward, but I want to reiterate...” Kalinda embraced the girl in a firm hug. “Thank you for everything. You saved my family, and my life, and for that I'm eternally in your debt.”

It's okay,” Zara replied, feeling her throat tighten with the memory. Sometimes – in her dreams – she could feel the pulse of life within the Jedi's body wrapped in her focus, and still wondered how Kalinda or Stonewall had been able to bear what had almost happened to their family. I don't think I could handle that the way they did. It was just too....much. She shivered and tried to shake away the thoughts even though she knew they would linger. “I'm glad I could do it.”

Kalinda pulled back and looked from her to Honi with a wide grin. “I think we'll be okay, in the end. I have hope that the Jedi will return one day, particularly if there are any more like the two of you out there.”

Well, we have much work to do until then, don't we?” As if to illustrate, Honi lifted one of her specimen jars and nodded towards the cave wall. Kalinda took a jar from her and they began to work.

Zara stood for a moment, the words echoing in her mind: I have hope that the Jedi will return one day. More so than it had ever been, her path was laid out before her; the knowledge should have made her happy, but instead she felt only a biting sense of regret for something that had not happened yet, but would have to, for the greater good.

Later...

After spending most of the day elbow-deep in plumbing and pipes, Weave and Levy had decided to dry off and go back to the building that held the generators, the space that he was coming to think of as his, or rather, theirs. “What do you think, Lev?” Weave asked the boy as he watched him tinker with the controls of the nearest generator. “Should turn this into our workroom? We might be able to make some pretty useful gadgets.”

Levy glanced over and gave him a series of enthusiastic hand gestures that Weave took to mean definitely. Chuckling, the elder clone moved to the second generator, ensuring that all was well. A sudden presence at the doorway made him turn, and Weave's heart started beating faster when he noted Honi's approach, her gait smooth as she made her way down the stairs to him.

I've been thinking about the nanogene droids,” she said without preamble but with a nod to the lad. “And I have an idea...if you'll allow me another chance to try, Levy.”

Weave studied her. “What's your idea?”

A flush crept to her cheeks and he tried not to smile. “Well, perhaps it's less of an idea and more of...a renewed confidence,” she admitted after a moment, lifting her chin. “The incident with Kalinda put some things into a...new perspective.” She met Weave's eyes for an instant before looking back at Levy. “May I?”

The younger clone glanced at Weave, who shrugged. “It's your decision, Lev.” The boy looked thoughtful for a moment before he nodded and met Honi's eyes. Weave looked at her as well. “Do you need a quieter place, or will this suffice?” He gestured behind him at the room where he and his younger brother had been engrossed with their work alongside the quiet hum of the machines.

It doesn't matter. This is fine.” The trio began to walk back towards the generators; after a moment Levy tilted his head, scowled, and trotted ahead of them towards the machines, leaving the clone and the Jedi alone for a moment. Honi seemed to tense beside him and Weave's brain raced for something to say. Finally the words came.

At the exact same time as hers.

Thank you for-”

I just wanted to-”

They stared at one another before he started laughing; after a pause she smiled and shook her head. Since he had almost immediately forgotten whatever he was going to say, he nodded to her. “Ladies first.”

The generators have come in very handy,” she said, a pink flush spreading across her face. “As have all of your modifications to this place. I wanted to thank you for working so diligently while the rest of us have been otherwise occupied.”

Weave nodded again, though he was more interested in her coloring cheeks than her words. “Well, I like electricity as much as the next fellow, so it's as much for my benefit as everyone else's. Besides, it's....” He paused and considered. “Fun, in a way, I guess. I enjoy this kind of thing.”

I can tell.” Her tone held a trace of wryness and he glanced over to see that she was looking at his hands, which were coated with grease and who-knows-what else.

I could probably figure it out with the implant, but maybe ignorance is bliss in this case. He smiled at her and noted that the intensity of her blush increased.

Suddenly she scowled. “Stop.”

What?” His mind raced back over their conversation, searching for a reason for her expression. What did I do?

Honi grimaced and put a hand to the side of her face. “I don't like that I blush so easily,” she muttered. “It's very annoying, being so pale. Not to mention I can't step out in the sun for more than five minutes without burning.”

I think you're beautiful, just as you are,” he replied, unthinking. “And I like it when you blush.” It was true, if he adjusted his implant he could watch the shifting heat within her body, the swirl of colors creating a spectacle that transfixed him. At his words her mouth opened slightly and the alluring pink color on her face deepened, but she made no reply. A soft noise that rose over the hum of the generators alerted them to Levy, who was tapping his foot expectantly, and Weave realized that they'd paused in their tracks and were facing one another, only a few hand-spans apart.

Despite her flushed cheeks she gave him a stern look and moved away to approach the clone boy, who had taken a seat at the base of the generators. With a sigh, Weave followed.

Folding her legs, Honi sat on the stone floor before Levy; Weave took the place between them, keeping his distance but watching the Jedi's every movement. As before, she took the clone boy's arm and laid it across his knee, after which she closed her eyes and began to steady her breathing, her expression shifting to one of calm concentration. Her hands lifted to rest lightly on the metal-work of the boy's arm, which Levy stared at while Weave watched her.

For several long moments there was only the quiet hum of the generators, and Weave wondered what exactly she was trying to do.

Suddenly, Levy sucked in his breath as one of the wires on his implant sprang loose, as if released from the inside out. More and more followed the first and he winced at the sensation, as if it was hurting, but did not pull away or make any effort to stop the Jedi. At one point Levy's non-modified hand jerked as if to clutch at his other one, but he checked himself and kept it in place. Weave nearly said something to Honi at this point, but a look at Levy showed him that his brother was determined to see this through.

So he watched and waited.

Time passed. A long time. Weave watched the light around the room shift as the sun above them slid its way across the sky, but neither Levy nor the Jedi made any movement. After a while he noted the tightness of Honi's face, the look of sheer concentration that had appeared on her features, and saw small beads of sweat forming at her forehead. More wires came loose, separating from Levy's skin like wheat from the chaff. At one point the boy gave a quiet whimper but was otherwise still; Weave watched him carefully but he still made no move to pull his arm away.

There was a faint ring of metal as more bits of wire began to fall to the ground; the skin beneath was red, raised and angry, but Levy held still, so very still, as if even the faintest intake of breath would disturb the process. Echoing her earlier expression, Honi's face was flushed with strain, her forehead was gleaming with sweat and her hands were shaking. Weave wanted to tell her to stop, but figured she wouldn't listen. Besides, he was wholly engrossed in what was happening to Levy.

Finally, her eyelashes fluttered as she gasped; through his implant he could see all of the blood drain from her face as she began to fall backward in a faint. But he was quick and caught her before she hit the stone floor and for a moment he stared at her, watching the way the light caught her freckles and the strands of her hair. He said her name once, she didn't respond so he put two fingers against the smooth skin of her neck. Once he felt her strong pulse his shoulders relaxed.

A soft noise beside him made the clone turn, his mouth parting at the sight that met his eyes: Levy was still seated, surrounded by a tangled, twisted collection of metal and wire, and running his hand along the scarred skin of his arm, his eyes wide and mouth agape. Weave adjusted his own implant to make out the sub-dermal facets of the implant, and he realized that Honi had not been able to remove all of it. But it looked like Levy was a boy like any other now, and he felt his throat tighten at the look of joy on the younger clone's face.

Can he talk, I wonder? It was almost to much to hope for. “You okay, Lev?”

The younger clone frowned and tilted his head. His mouth opened, but no sound came out. He gave a long-suffering sigh and met Weave's eyes, shaking his head with an expression that said, yeah, I'm okay.

Weave looked back at the woman in his arms – what a thought that was – and stroked the skin of her cheek with wonder, noting with chagrin that he left a smudge of grease as he did so. “Thank you, Honi,” he whispered, glancing back at Levy, who was examining the bits of metal around him with interest. “Thank you.”

gracesonnet likes this.
  2. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Stonewall gave a shrug. “I think we'll be okay, even if it does.”

Awwwww!

Well worth the wait, as usual!

-------
    And so many Weave and Honi feels!

laloga likes this.
  3. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    @gracesonnet - Thank you for your constant support and kind words! You're all kind of awesome! [face_love]

*****​

Chapter Twenty-Six: Unlikely, But True

Once I was conscious enough to register his words, my first reaction was – naturally – annoyance. “That's a terrible attempt at a joke, Jonas. Surely you can do better.” I gave him a glare before settling down to try and go back to sleep, but he caught my chin in his hand and urged me to sit up.

Kam. You are with child.” He said the words very deliberately, and refused to let my gaze move away from his like we both knew I wanted it to.

But I shook away the quiet in his voice and shut my eyes against his blue ones, while I tried to figure out the truth for myself, using what meager abilities I did have. And it was in that moment that I learned that he was right, and that my own death sentence had suddenly become a rather significant problem. The flippant thought was all that kept me from shouting in frustration as my body folded in on itself, as if collapsing beneath its own weight. I think I wanted to cry but my face was numb, and my thoughts were full of vitriol aimed at myself, for my carelessness and my ignorance.

For thinking that the doctors were right when they said “this will not happen to you.”

After all was said and done, Zara found that it wasn't so difficult to assemble her saber, though she did regret that she'd neglected it for so long. Seated on the top-most step of the largest temple, she had just finished calibrating the crystals and was working to bring the whole thing together; hovering before her, the slender cylinder began to take shape from the amalgamation of parts until at last it was done.

With the Force, she levitated it in the air for a moment before reaching her hand forward to take her new weapon; it felt heavier than her old saber and was not nearly as pretty as that one had been, but she found that she liked it more. It's better this way. Re-made into something stronger after so many awful things have happened. It was still fairly early but the sun was high and hot, so she reached her free hand up to daub her face with the sleeve of her tunic, deciding to go for a swim in a little while.

Does it work and everything?” Drake's voice made her blink and look down and to the right, where he was standing on the steps below, squinting up at her. Without answering, she activated the blade and gave it a few experimental swings, grinning at its hum and heft, and at the bright slice of blue energy that almost-but-not-quite blended into the sky above her head.

After a few moments she shut down the blade and gave Drake thumbs-up, watching as he smiled as well, then came up over the steps that separated them to take a seat beside her. They watched in silence as a gust of wind rippled over the grass in the open area below them, then he reached for her hand.

But Zara did not release her grip on the saber. At his look of confusion she exhaled. “Drake...”

His expression clouded for a moment but his voice was hopeful. “What is it, Zar?” She opened her mouth but no words came out, but she thought that maybe he knew, because his face fell and he rested his elbows on his knees, not looking at her anymore.

Words finally came to her, so she shook her head. “I really like you, Drake. I mean, I really, really do. But being a Jedi...well...it's what I want, more than anything. And it's so important now that I focus on that, especially since there aren't many Jedi left – that we know of – and besides....” Here she trailed off and swallowed. As if sensing her agitation he glanced at her. Zara took another breath and forced herself to meet his gaze. “I don't think I'm strong enough for...that.”

You're strong enough for anything,” he said at once, though he frowned a moment later. “But what are you talking about, exactly?”

She tried not to smile at his rash words. “It's just...look, Kalinda and Stonewall, they love each other, right?” He nodded and she continued. “But look what happened to them...look at what they had to go through because of it. I didn't see everything, but I heard the others talking about it...I know enough.”

His eyes fell on her; angled as he was, half of his face was shadowed but his eyes were still golden in the sun. “But it all worked out,” he countered. “They're both fine. Their baby's healthy. We're all okay.”

Zara shook her head again. “That's not the point, Drake. It's not about what happens at the end of the story; it's about what it takes to get there. For me, it comes down to the fact that I don't think I can be a Jedi and be in love with you at the same time.” His eyes grew wide at her words and she watched his breath shorten, but he said nothing. She felt tears stinging at her own eyes but kept her resolve strong.

But he sat up straighter and met her gaze, so that she could feel his own resolve rising to match hers. “You're wrong, Zara. You're making the wrong choice.” He frowned, more to himself than her, then shook his head. “I mean...I know that being a Jedi is important, but what's here, what's between us...isn't that just as important?”

It can't be. Drake, I'm so sorry.” Her voice was a whisper.

He didn't say anything for a long time, only stared out at the jungle. Finally he looked at her. “Me too, Zar.”

Zara shook her head. “I don't know about anyone else's experience, Drake. I only know about mine. And I don't think...” She paused and bit her lip, trying to look somewhere, anywhere, but in his eyes, though he held her gaze without flinching. “I just can't let myself get attached to you in that way. Can we go back to being friends?”

Friends.” He said the word slowly, as if tasting it, and his eyes closed for a second. Then they opened and he regarded her. “Is that really what you want?” She nodded and he exhaled in a long, slow draw. “Okay, Zar. Friends it is.”

Even though he said the words without emotion, she didn't believe him.

For what it's worth...I really care about you,” she added, but he was shaking his head and getting to his feet.

I should be getting back. There's a bunch of work to do,” he replied, not looking at her. For an instant his breath hitched, as if he wanted to say something else, but he seemed to check himself and darted down the steps as fast as his feet could carry him.

Zara sat alone for a few minutes, watching his passage through the grass, then looked back at the saber hilt that was still in her hand. Igniting it once more, she held the blade close to her face and inhaled the familiar scent of plasma and burning ozone, the hum of energy singing in her mind and reverberating through her senses. I feel more like a Jedi than I ever have, she thought with a heavy sigh. So why do I also feel so terrible?

When Stonewall woke that morning, he reached out for his wife and gave a sigh of relief when he felt her warm presence beside him, as though she had never been anywhere else. It was so early that the sky beyond their window was still a deep indigo, but he wasn't tired and nor was Kali, whose dark eyes opened and regarded him with a mixture of tenderness and passion that made him lean in to kiss her.

Afterward, they lay together in one another's arms and said nothing for a little while, until she turned to look at him again, her eyes wide and alert in a way that contrasted with his own sudden drowsiness. “I never got a chance to tell you...it was xoorzi in the cave, just a different strain or something. Honi confirmed it.”

I thought that stuff was only native to Thyferra?” He bit back a yawn and skimmed his hand along her arm as he spoke.

Kalinda shook her head. “It's indigenous, but it could very easily have been transplanted here. The climate is perfect for it...” Clearly more awake than he was at this point, she sat up on her elbows and regarded him while he continued to smooth his hand over her cheek and tried to keep the rather persistent yawn at bay. “Stonewall....we may be able to make something of this. You know how valuable bacta is...if we can produce one of the main components, we might be able to generate some income.”

His attempts were unsuccessful because the yawn came anyway, and he tried not to smile at her look of mild irritation. After a moment he shifted until he was a little more upright against the pillows, blinking in the pale light that was starting to filter in through the window. “So you want to sell it? To whom?”

I'm still working that out,” she admitted, maneuvering herself so that she was resting on top of his chest while she looked up at him. “I think Ares might be able to help with that part, or Master Altis. But if it does work, it will make our settling here that much more feasible. We're okay now with the supplies that we have from the Chu'unthor, but we can't rely on them forever.”

Speaking of Altis, did you tell him...?” He raised a brow at her and she gave a smile as she passed on the Jedi Master's congratulatory words, which made the familiar thrill of anxiety and euphoria flicker through him again. “I still can't believe it,” he said after a moment as he looked at her in wonder. “A child. Our child.”

Kali's gaze on him was steady. “I know.”

Are you feeling alright?”

It's still pretty early, Stone,” she said with a shrug, after which her expression turned speculative. “Hmm...I wonder if I can use the Force to fend off morning-sickness?”

I don't see why not,” he said with a chuckle. “You're doing the hard part, you know. I'm just a spectator. An innocent bystander.”

Innocent bystander?” She gave him an amused look. “You're just as much a part of it as I am, Stone. And I didn't get into this state with you being a 'spectator.'”

A wry grin split his face. “Yeah. That's true.” They were each lost to their own musings before something shifted in her expression, and he looked at her. “What is it?”

I'm not sure, exactly. Something Honi said that resonated....about the Force and love being connected for me.” There was quiet for a moment as she collected her thoughts before elaborating. “My mother gave up her life to save mine – she acted out of love. I'm alive because she loved me enough to do such a thing....I wonder if that has something to do with the connection?”

It was really too early to try and think about this kind of thing, but he was interested so he mulled it over for a few minutes. “Maybe. Stranger things have been known to happen. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that you knew your father....you knew that you were loved and it gave you strength.”

She nodded, but made no reply for some time, instead kissing his bare chest gently as she seemed to consider something. That was more distracting than anything else, and he found it difficult to care much about Force-philosophy at the moment. Finally she met his eyes. “I'm sorry that your own abilities aren't more...special.”

What?” Desire had started to stir his blood again, and he for a moment he only blinked at her.

She smiled at him and shifted herself up his torso so that she was a few inches closer to his face. “The spirit that helped sustain my mother's body while I was in her womb...some of its energy stayed with me, I guess, and was passed on to you...once I realized that I loved you.” A sigh made her chest lift in a very interesting way, but he tried to keep his eyes on hers. “It's just a side-effect of my feelings for you. Just a transference of energies.” Her gaze dropped and she lifted a hand to casually trace invisible patterns on his skin. “I had hoped it would be something...more.”

Stonewall felt alert now, but he was quickly growing more enticed by her position. Focus, he told himself. Focus on what she's talking about, not...oh, forget it. He gave a mental sigh and leaned forward, pulling her close and closing the gap between them.

Stone...” He silenced her with a kiss. When they pulled apart she gave him a mock glare. “I'm trying to have a serious talk with you. About our present and our future...and don't you care about why you can use the Force?”

Of course I do,” he replied. “But all that talk can wait a while...until the sun's up, at least. For now, I just want to enjoy some more time with my wife, if that's okay with you.”

It was.

Later, she returned to the caves with Honi, Zara and Ares to figure out how much of the xoorzi they could transport, and he went with Crest, Sita, and the lads to the next section of the ruins, where they were continuing work on their new home. Traxis, Weave and Levy had already gone over in the earliest part of the morning.

As they reached the site, Crest glanced at the clone boys. “Alright, adi'ke, you know the drill.” The bald clone grinned as they boys seemed to sigh in resignation, but they headed off for the building that was being converted into an infirmary.

The cleanup's going well,” Stonewall remarked as he and Crest trailed behind Sita. “Once Weave and Levy get all the power hooked up out here, it will only be a matter of getting the supplies we'll need.”

Crest nodded, shading his eyes to survey the area as they walked. Everyone had been working hard to get the ruins into a livable condition, and it showed. The stone paths that led between the various structures were clear of weeds and other plants; the duracrete exteriors of the newer buildings were cleaner as well, having been in mostly decent condition and in need of few repairs, which was fortunate, as no one in their group had much in the way of masonry skills. “Wait until you see what Sita's done with the garden,” the bald clone said, gesturing ahead of them, his voice filled with pride.

Indeed, Stonewall could already see that the patches of tangled brush had been cleared away, making room for a dark topsoil that was being plowed into evenly spaced furrows. Sita had paused at a section of the garden and was working to stir up the soil with some farming tool that he didn't recognize. He cast a look at Crest, who was watching the Arunai woman with an expression that Stonewall could only think of as enamored. “Where'd she get that....what is it called?”

It was on the Raven,” Crest replied. “I suppose Altis threw it in, just in case. And I have no idea what the shabla thing is called.” In the distance, Sita paused to wave at them, and the bald clone's face split into a huge grin. “She told me the other night, but I don't remember.”

Stonewall cast his brother a knowing look. “So that's why you've been so chipper these last few days.”

Yeah, well...” Crest gave a nonchalant shrug, but his smile was still wide. “She seems willing to put up with me, for some reason. I'm not going to stop her.” There was more, from the tone of his voice, but Stonewall didn't press him for details. He could sense his brother's happiness through the Force, and that was enough.

They stood for a moment before Sita's voice reached them. “Am I to do all of the work by myself?”

At this, the bald clone nudged Stonewall's side with his elbow. “Better get to it. You going to check on Weave and Levy?”

I am, but I'll come back and help when I'm done,” the former captain replied.

As he turned to walk away, Crest called his name. When Stonewall paused and looked back, his brother raised his brow. “Never thought I'd be learning how to be a farmer,” he said. “Funny how life works out, I guess.”

Stonewall smiled as well. “You can say that again.” As Crest opened his mouth, Stone lifted his hand and gave his brother a stern look. “Figure of speech.”

Like you didn't see it coming.”

With a laugh, Stone turned and headed for the building that had come to be thought of as Weave and Levy's workroom, as it contained the generators, as well as the other bits of technology that the former medic had collected from the area and was attempting to repair. Stonewall had looked everything over; it appeared as though they had many of the components they'd need in order to make this place comfortable to live in for the long-term. Once he reached the building he stepped inside, noting that the door slid open with ease and that it was about fifteen degrees cooler within the massive room than without.

He commented on the fact, then looked around with satisfaction, noting the various appliances that Weave had dug out from one of the buildings and was working to salvage. “Thank you both for everything...I imagine we'd still be sweating in the ships if it weren't for your hard work.”

I've never done anything like that before,” Weave replied, finally looking up from the cooling unit he'd been working on. “But it's been interesting to learn a new skill. With Lev's help, of course.” At this, both men turned to look at the clone boy, who was frowning over what appeared to be an old conservator, its back opened and its innards cast around his feet.

Again, Stone marveled at the boy's arm; everyone had been amazed to see the change. “I still can't believe she managed it,” he said, thinking of the red-haired Jedi.

I can.” Weave's tone was neutral but Stonewall could sense that he was pleased, beyond pleased, in fact.

Of course he won't say anything about it, either. The former captain reflected that his own relationship had begun in such close quarters – aboard whatever tiny ship the Republic had spared for Shadow Squad – and so it had been difficult to keep his and Kali's affair a secret. I don't blame any of them for wanting privacy. I wouldn't have minded more of it, myself.

I'm glad we have you both,” he said to Weave. “I know that I couldn't do all the things you're doing. To be honest, I feel a bit out of my league with all of this stuff. Military training only helps so much out here.”

You're a fast learner,” Weave replied with a shrug. “As are we all. And there's plenty of work to go around...I couldn't manage all that carpentry stuff that you and Traxis have experience with, you know.” At this he frowned and reached into his pocket to pull out a small datapad. “That reminds me...I've started a list of some supplies we'll need to get this place fully operational.”

Stonewall nodded. “Was going to talk to Ares about that, actually. It's looking like we'll have to make a run, soon. On top of what we need here, Kali wants to see Altis again, let him know about....everything.” It had been a strange conversation between him, Kali and the others, after their ordeal with the spirit. He wasn't sure that he even understood everything, but he was trying. After a few more minutes of conversation he decided to go check on Traxis, so he made to leave. As he did so, he paused and looked back at his brother. “I never asked if she was going to try and remove your implant?”

Weave shook his head. “I decided to keep it,” he said in a quiet voice, as if unsure of how his brother would react. “It's handy, sometimes.”

Whatever you want, vod,” Stonewall replied with a nod. “As long as you're happy.”

A slow smile spread across the former medic's face. “I am, actually.”

Word got around quickly that an expedition was being planned, this time geared towards bringing others to them, and preparations got underway at once. Ares spent most of his time alone on his ship, making sure that it would be able to make the journey, while the other cataloged supplies they'd need. It was Weave's own idea to list the items in order of how critical they were to the operation of their homestead, so he'd taken on the task of collecting everyone's lists and compiling them into one master spreadsheet.

Presently, the entire group was seated in what had become the dining room, either at the camp table or in unfolded chairs along the wall. Thankfully it was cooler than outside, even though the cooling system for the building was still in a rudimentary stage, but Weave had hopes that he could have the space outfitted properly, provided he acquired the right equipment. The door to the exterior was closed, but he could make out the darkening sky beyond the kitchen window. Soft lights filled the room with a homey glow and he glanced around in appreciation.

A soft clearing of someone's throat alerted him to the fact that his attention had drifted from the task at hand, so Weave looked back down at his 'pad. “Okay: I've listed the seeds that you wanted, Sita, as well as the tools...I'm not sure if Altis has a tiller, but you never know.” He nodded to the Arunai woman, who was seated beside at the table Crest. She gave him a smile and he realized that she looked healthier than she had when the group had first rescued her, weeks ago. He also noted how his brother's attention was still fixed on her, and smiled to himself. At least she's keeping him occupied. I almost miss his constant chatter.

Stonewall indicated the fading light beyond the windows. “Night's coming soon,” he said as the others looked at him. “And Ares was planning on leaving at first light. Weave...?”

Right.” Weave glanced at his 'pad again, scrolling through the list. “Lev and I need the most supplies to get everything in working order. Until we get those pipes, we won't be able to have indoor plumbing in every 'fresher, which I know is a big priority.” There was a murmur of agreement, especially among the women, though he noted that Honi said nothing as she watched him with an intensity that made him nearly forget what he was doing – again.

Don't forget the tools we'll need if we're going to finish this place up,” Traxis said, leaning forward, elbows resting on his raised knees. “Stonewall and I have managed to make a good bit of progress, but we'll need more than a few hammers and a rusted vibro-saw.”

Weave nodded and made a note on the 'pad. After that he looked at Ares, who was seated on Crest's other side, noticeably apart from the scarred clone. “Er...will you want company? I know that some of the adi'ke were anxious to stretch their legs – in a manner of speaking.” At his words, Risky, Keo and Finn sat upright from their chairs along the wall, looking at the Twi'lek expectantly.

After a pause during which everyone could see that Ares was trying not to look at Traxis, the Twi'lek nodded slowly. “Any help is welcome.”

Can I come?” Drake asked, seated between Risky and Finn, across from the Jedi. “I want to help, too.”

Of course,” Ares replied in a quiet voice.

There was a weighted pause, then Traxis shifted in his seat. “If you're going to have the lads with you, I'd better come along too. Otherwise they'll drive you to distraction.” He spoke carefully, but a hint of a smile twitched across the Twi'lek's face at his words.

Before he spoke, Ares nodded once to the scarred clone, who met his eyes. “You are always welcome on the Raven, Traxis.” For a moment they regarded one another before Trax nodded once and looked back down at his feet; Weave couldn't help but notice the faint smile on his brother's face as well.

About the xoorzi,” Honi said suddenly, sitting upright. “It's a rare substance, but relatively easy to cultivate; Zara and I have already begun the process. Additionally, we've collected a fair amount and prepared it for travel. Presuming Altis can find a buyer, I don't see why we can't generate some income.”

Good idea,” Stonewall replied, nodding to her.

Kalinda nodded as well. “On a more long-term note, we were thinking that Mundali could be a good place to start a refuge of some kind. Djinn has wounded that he can't care for, and I'm sure there are others out there in need of a safe place to rest and recover.” Her tone was excited, but – Weave thought – anxious as well.

If that's the case, we'll need a lot of different things,” he replied, frowning in thought. “A bacta tank, for starters.”

Ares straightened at this. “Perhaps we should speak to Djinn before we start tank-shopping.” There was a murmur of laughter at this. The group spoke for a few more minutes, discussing flight plans and various other aspects of the upcoming few days before Weave noticed the kids' eyes starting to glaze over, so he glanced at Stonewall, who ended the meeting for the time being; everyone began to disseminate to their own quarters, which were still very spartan.

We're really doing it, aren't we?”

Weave looked over at his former general and nodded. “It looks that way.” He tilted his head to the dark-haired woman who'd risen to come stand beside him at the table. “How are you feeling?”

Hungry. I think the cravings are starting...” She paused gave him a meaningful glance as she indicated the 'pad in Weave's hands. “Did you see? I made some...requests.”

Hmmm...I'm not sure if Altis has any namana cream pie....” At Kalinda's look Weave swallowed. “But I'll make sure that Ares and Trax ask. Don't want to come between a pregnant Jedi and her pie.”

No you don't,” she replied with a raised brow.

There was a pause, then she nodded towards the entrance to the room, towards the door that was still open from someone's passage through, where Weave caught a glimpse of red hair in the light outside the building. “Someone's waiting for you.”

Weave grinned and shut off the 'pad. “Yeah. I know.”

gracesonnet likes this.
  4. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    Awwww!

laloga likes this.
  5. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    laloga likes this.
  6. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    gracesonnet - Thank you, as always, for reading! [face_love]

*****​
    Chapter Twenty-Seven: Perihelion

A child. My death will not simply be mine. There is no way I will live long enough – nor be strong enough – to carry a baby to term. It is a problem with no solution. The thoughts tumbled through my mind again and again.

Jonas' hand on my cheek drew me out of my reverie, and I looked up at him, startled to realize that my face was streaked with tears. “What am I going to do?” I choked.

I don't know,” he replied, a flash of something in his eyes that I'd not seen before. “But we'll do it together.”

After the meeting with the others, Traxis approached Ares, who had slipped outside almost immediately. “Need any help getting the ship ready for tomorrow? I know that I've been kind of busy with all this,” he said, indicating the building around them.

I can see,” the Twi'lek replied with a nod. “It has come together rather well, I think.” There was a moment of tense silence while Ares seemed to consider his next words. “The Raven is prepared for her journey,” he said at last, causing Traxis' heart to sink. “But I would like some company, anyway.” With the lilting accent his tone was optimistic, but the scarred clone knew him well enough to discern the notes of caution as well.

It didn't matter, though, so Traxis nodded. “Sounds good.” They made their way across the clearing and through the jungle; they were surrounded by night-sounds and the brush of leaves when Traxis worked up his nerve enough to speak again. “Look, I'm really sorry. I know I shouldn't be so...closed-off, but...” He sighed and shook his head. “Sometimes it's like you're a different species from me.” As soon as he said the words he flinched at their stupidity, but Ares only gave his quiet chuckle.

You have every right to your doubts, Traxis,” the Twi'lek said after a moment. “I've given you little reason to think that I will remain with you for any real amount of time. I'm unaccustomed to this kind of...solid relationship, you know. And at my core I'm a rather cynical bastard.”

Despite himself, Traxis laughed. “We have that in common, I guess.” They didn't speak again until they reached the ship, at which point the clone turned to the Twi'lek. “Ever since I met you, I wanted to be where you were,” he said at last. “And for a while, that was all I was certain of. But now...” He paused and took a deep breath, looking at Ares again, who regarded him with an expression that he didn't know how to read.

Why is this so kriffing hard? I can't begin to imagine how Stonewall managed it, ever.

Something crossed over Ares' face, but it may have only been a trick of the shadows; however, reading the former soldier's apprehension, the Twi'lek nodded and reached for his hand. “Trax...”

It was better with the press of their skin and Trax felt the tangled knot within him unravel a bit with the sensation, so he nodded and met the Twi'lek's eyes. “I love you, Ares. I really do.”

There. It's done.

Finally.

Ares seemed to sense his relief; his mouth lifted in a smile and he nodded. “I know, Traxis.”

They were silent for a few moments, surrounded by the cicadas and night-sounds, then Traxis made the decision to close the last of the space between them, and he forgot everything else for the rest of the night.

After several minutes that seemed far too short, Honi bid Weave a reluctant good-night; however, she found that she was too keyed-up to sleep, so she decided to examine the building that was being converted to an infirmary. It was empty and dark, as Weave had not yet been able to get the wiring for power figured out, but the space was clean, thanks to the former cadets. Her steps echoed in the largest chamber, and she stood for a moment, considering where she'd place certain equipment and devices, until the presence of another caught her attention.

Drake.” She was careful to say his name without emotion, as she sensed an acute sorrow in his thoughts, connected to Zara. Though her apprentice hadn't said anything, the boy's thoughts were plain, and she recalled that the Nautolan girl had been more somber than usual since she'd finished her lightsaber that morning. We've all been so busy, lately, I didn't think to ask her. I suppose I still have much to learn about being a teacher.

He was seated on the floor, against a far wall, his face turned towards a window. At her voice he glanced over and seemed to debate something before he stood and made his way towards the Jedi. Tension emanated from him but when he stopped in front of her, it faded to remorse. His mouth opened but no words came out, and he gave a sigh of frustration.

But Honi had learned something from her former master – well after she was an apprentice – and was able to find the appropriate words. “I think you're a good person, Drake. You deserve every happiness...but so does Zara. And if she's made a choice – even though you may not understand or agree with it – you must respect it.”

I do understand,” he replied. “That's why it's so hard...she has a duty. I know. It's just...” He sighed again and frowned as he strung the words together. “I wish I could be angry with her. I wish I could yell at her or tell her that she's a di'kut, but I can't because I don't really think that. Because she's not.” His eyes shifted to the Jedi and she felt a flare of embarrassment from him, even though he continued. “She still wants to be friends, and I wish I could tell her no. I wish I could tell her, 'it has to be everything, or nothing.' But I can't.”

You're young yet,” Honi said, keeping her voice measured. “And so is she. If you can move past your own feelings, if you can allow yourself to be her friend and nothing more, it will be the best thing for you both. In the end you will both be stronger because of it.” She watched as he nodded, slowly, his eyes still on the floor.

Finally Drake looked back at her. “I'd rather be her friend than nothing at all to her. Is that stupid?”

No, it isn't. And for what it's worth, I know she feels the same way about you, Drake.”

He was silent for a few more minutes before he glanced her way again. “Thank you, Master Tallis.”

She shook her head. “Just 'Honi,' please.” He nodded, but said nothing else.

After the “family meeting” that night Crest was restless, which was not uncommon for him, but he had not felt that way in some time, as he was usually too tired from the day's work to do anything but collapse in his bed. So he slipped out of his room and made his way to the kitchen area, which still basically consisted of their camping supplies, only set up indoors. It was dark in the room, but he was reluctant to wake anyone else up, so he only lit a single light, one of the rechargeable cylinders that he rested at the center of the table to provide him with just enough illumination. As he was debating whether or not to brew some caf, soft footfalls alerted him to another's presence.

Sita entered the room and they stood in silence for a few heartbeats before Crest cleared his throat. “Would you like some tea? Kalinda has a favorite kind – something with vanilla, I think – that's not bad, for tea, but I prefer a good, strong cup of caf, myself.”

He knew that he was babbling, but she just stood in the shadows and lookedat him, and he found that he couldn't keep the nonsense from tumbling out of his mouth even as he fumbled through their supplies in search of the container in question. In the last few days, they'd shared a few more stolen moments together, nothing more than a few kisses which, though he'd thoroughly enjoyed, had left him feeling even more awkward and uncertain around her.

Finally he located the tin and offered it to her for inspection. It was a slender container, metallic and cylinder-shaped, containing the individually-wrapped bags of tea that their Jedi had acquired a taste for during their army days. The Arunai woman stepped towards him and reached her hands forward, placing them over his and bringing the container to her face, inhaling deeply once she did so. Finally she nodded and released his hand; a few minutes later he had a portion of water boiling away on the stove, and soon a cup of dark, steaming liquid was on the table before her, where she'd taken a seat.

Neither one spoke as he sat down next to her, realizing the moment he hit the seat that he'd forgotten to make his own cup of caf. But he didn't feel like getting up again, so he pretended to study the walls while she blew over the rim of the mug. The warm scent of vanilla reached him as he inhaled.

Would you like some?”

The clone looked at her and nodded. She slid the mug to him and he lifted it, sipping gingerly. It was hot, but not scalding, and tasted better than he remembered. When he set it down, he gave her a gentle smile. “Not bad. Needs sugar.”

I'm not the same person I was,” she said at once, lowering her eyes to the mug. “And you're not the same person that you were, either. But I think...” She took a breath and met his eyes, and he thought that his heart was going to slam right out of his ribcage from the way she was looking at him. “I think that I may fall in love with you, given the chance.”

It was her turn to return the smile; it was soft and tentative and unlike any expression he'd seen before. From anyone. And it was directed at him.

For a moment he was at a loss for words, which was quite a feat, but he realized that she was probably the only person in the galaxy who'd ever managed to cause that reaction within him. Finally he swallowed and nodded gravely. “When will that be, do you think? You know, just so I can clear my schedule.” At her look of amusement he laughed outright and reached forward to grip her hands in his own. “Because I'm pretty sure I'm already there, Sita. But I'll gladly wait around for you to catch up.”

She blinked once and he felt a flash of fear that he'd spoken out of turn – again – and made yet another stupid mistake, but then she nodded with regal solemnity. “Thank you for your patience.”

My pleasure,” he replied, reaching up to stroke her cheek before he leaned forward to kiss her once, gently, on the side of her mouth. Despite the fact that he'd resolved to not give into the ache of eagerness that stirred within him when she was nearby, he couldn't hold his enthusiasm back once she shifted closer and made a soft sound in the back of her throat. Her jaw tilted so that her lips were flush with his and her hands moved to his sides as the kiss deepened.

It was better than he remembered; something that had been taut and cramped within him unfurled and when they came up for air he couldn't help the grin that spread across his face.

In the morning, when Traxis and Ares were getting ready to leave, Zara snuck into the room they younger clones shared to bid them goodbye. None of them had much in the way of belongings, but they were packing up what they did have; of course everything stopped when she came in. For a moment she stood at the doorway, looking at her friends and noting how Drake had quietly excused himself to the 'fresher. Finally she cleared her throat. “Be careful, okay guys?”

Risky rolled his eyes. “Honestly, Zara. We're not kids, you know.”

We'll be fine,” Finn added in his quiet voice as he zipped up his pack.

Beside his brother, Keo nodded and gave her a lazy grin. “For a Jedi, you can be awfully silly sometimes.” His tone was light and she knew it was just his gentle way of teasing, so she smiled back.

Levy was with them, seated cross-legged on his sleeping pallet, watching the preparations. At Zara's look he lifted his hands in a series of gestures that meant: I'll miss them too, but it will be nice to have the room to myself. She couldn't help but laugh at his wry expression.

It was pleasant to sit with them for a while, listening to their conversation and jokes, and thinking that she was happy to have friends, if nothing else. Zara remained with the clone boys for about an hour or so, during which time she noticed Drake finally emerge from the 'fresher and make his way to his bed, where he'd been in the process of packing. It stung that he would not meet her eyes.

But I can't blame him. I just wish it didn't hurt so much. Her stomach twisted in a knot and she felt her eyes prick, but worked to keep her agitation out of her expression, especially when Risky stepped over to her.

You sure you don't want to come with us? It'll be more exciting to have a Jedi around.” There was a careful sense of levity to his words, and she studied him for a moment before replying.

I'm not a Jedi, yet, Risk,” she said in a firm voice. “But one day, I will be.”

He shrugged. “Worth a shot.”

Guess someone has to keep the others in line while we're gone,” Keo added. He'd pulled out his sabacc deck but was thumbing through the cards without his customary enthusiasm.

Zara looked at them all. “I'll miss you guys. All of you.” She glanced at Drake, who nodded but said nothing.

Levy's hands lifted. I won't. Unless you bring me those power couplings I need.

This was enough to lighten the mood somewhat, until the time of departure arrived. Everyone made to see them off in the field where they'd first landed, the adults talking with animation among themselves; while the boys filed onto the Stark Raven, Zara stood by and watched as Drake paused. The strap on his bag had come loose and he'd stopped to refasten it, so she took it as a sign and approached him.

They were not hidden from view, but she could tell that no one's attention was on them, which was just as well. She said his name but he pretended not to hear her. So Zara stepped closer to him and took a deep breath. “I meant it about being safe,” she said. “Please be careful and...come back, Drake.”

At her words he'd frozen; then his shoulders sank a little and he sighed. “I'll always come back to you, Zar.” At this he frowned and shook his head. “Sorry...I didn't mean-”

It's okay,” she said. “Look, no matter what, we're friends, right?”

He was silent, thinking.

She couldn't help her next words. “Drake...please say that we're still friends.”

Of course we are,” he replied, giving her a wry look that made her heart leap. “Always. I'm a clone, you know. Loyal to a fault.” He said the phrase with a bravado that was not quite how she remembered, but made her smile nonetheless, and despite everything her heart leaped again when he gave her a mock-salute as the engines began to whine. At that moment, Traxis called the boys to come on, as they were leaving now, and as she waved goodbye to him she wondered again if she had made the right choice.

As everyone came to see them off, and Traxis felt a pang of emotion that he had never experienced before as he bid his brothers goodbye. I've never been away from them like this, he realized as he half-listened to Weave's last-minute instructions and ignored Crest's attempts at levity. We've been apart on missions and stuff, but nothing like this. I don't know how Milo managed it, to just walk away like he did. He was braver than I ever gave him credit for.

The feeling was disconcerting, and he didn't care for it in the least. But then he glanced up to see Ares, speaking with Kalinda and Honi, and felt better about the whole thing, a feeling that was broadened when he watched the clone boys, saying their goodbyes to Levy, the only one who was staying behind.

Beside him, Stonewall cleared his throat. “Stay safe, vod,” he said, clapping the scarred clone on the back. “And come back home in one piece, okay? That's an order.” He smiled at his brother, and Traxis rolled his eyes.

You can't order me around anymore, you know,” he replied in a wry voice. “But I'll do my best.”

Stonewall nodded at him. “You always do.”

As he followed Ares and the boys aboard the Raven, Traxis cast a last look around him at the jungle. Home. Come back home. He smiled to himself at the word, because it felt right.

So it was kind of strange to leave Mundali after they'd spent so much time and effort turning the place into somewhere they could all stay for good, but as he sat at the co-pilot's seat beside Ares, Traxis was not anxious, for once. It is home, I guess. And I can always return. He shot a look at the Twi'lek, who seemed pleased to be on the move once more, and considered the matter. Maybe I could stay with him and have a place to come back to. It was still an odd idea, the realization that he was free to do as he wished and go where he wanted, the understanding that none of them were bound to anything but their own inclinations.

As if catching on to his thoughts, Ares cast him a smile. “It feels good to be on the move again, doesn't it?” He nodded to the green-tinted planet beneath them, the cover of jungle rapidly growing smaller and smaller as they lifted through atmo.

Traxis returned the look. “Yeah, it does.” They held one another's eyes for a moment before he glanced behind him at the clone boys, who were already engrossed in studies that Weave had given them, then looked back at the Twi'lek. “Thanks for letting me tag along.”

Ares chuckled. “My pleasure.”

When the Stark Raven broke out of Mundali's atmosphere, Traxis noted that the planet seemed to fade from sight once more, and his brows knitted as he recalled their initial approach, weeks ago. A flick of his hand over the scanner indicated that there was nothing, as if they'd appeared in open space, and he smiled to himself. “Good thing we have the coordinates stored so we can land again,” he said with a nod to the console. He noticed that Ares' chuckled and shook his head. “What is it?”

I know of few people who would be so, ah, accepting of the strange occurrences that often follow Jedi around,” the Twi'lek replied with another laugh. “You are a remarkable fellow, Trax.”

Where he normally would have scoffed at the words, or tried to deflect the compliment with a sarcastic remark about the adaptable nature of clones, Traxis only grinned at his companion. “Thanks. You're not so bad yourself.”

They reached their destination with little incident, and Traxis found that he was oddly pleased to see the bearded Jedi Master once more, though the man looked tired and more drawn since the last time he'd been aboard the Chu'unthor. After looking over the list that Weave had prepared, Altis nodded and spoke to one of his people, a Human female that Traxis didn't recognize. While she and a few others went to gather what they could, Altis gestured to the clones and Ares, and they all made their way to the cafeteria. After settling down to a meal – the boys attacking the food with their usual gusto – Altis folded his hands and regarded Traxis for a moment before speaking. “Did Kalinda inform you of our situation here?”

He nodded. “She thinks that it would be a good idea if you and yours came to Mundali, Master.”

I'd like to take a look before we set anything in duracrete,” the Jedi said, lifting his hand to his bead in a manner that reminded the scarred clone of General Kenobi. “But it's a definite possibility, especially given the Empire's persistence. I've been working rather closely with Kal Skirata and his group...were you aware of that?”

Skirata and his crazy Nulls? Traxis had heard rumors, of course, but had never met any of them; even when he and Ares dropped off Ferro and Archer, it had been with an agent of Skirata's that was certainly no clone. “I remember that being mentioned.”

Altis folded his hands before him. “Skirata is mostly concerned with taking in clones who have defected from the Empire and chosen another path. He has their best interests at heart, after all. Which is commendable, but I've come across Jedi and other Force-users who require help that I cannot give, and he is not willing to provide.”

I don't see why he would turn anyone away, if he can help at all,” Traxis replied with a frown.

Kal Skirata has his own reasons,” Master Altis said with a nod, though he did not seem surprised. “In any case, even he has run into issues with space and resources...we've discussed the problem, and I feel that it's only going to get worse with time as the Imperials uncover more and more Force-users and other...dissidents.”

Ares leaned forward, his lekku twitching with agitation. “What are you saying, Djinn?”

Before he replied, Altis paused and lifted his hand to his beard again; when he spoke again, his tone was speculative. “If things are as you've reported, seems like Mundali could provide a solution.”

Kalinda had mentioned this to him, so the scarred clone sat up in his seat. “I was told to let you know that all are welcome, clone or Jedi. Apparently we're not quite as picky as others.”

But they'll need time to prepare for an influx of wounded,” Ares added. “And a bacta tank or two. Or three.”

That can all be arranged,” Altis replied. “If it is as secure as you say.”

Thinking of the strange planet and his family's experiences with it, Traxis gave a shrug. “I'll let you judge that for yourself, sir, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.”

gracesonnet likes this.
  7. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    For a moment he was at a loss for words, which was quite a feat, but he realized that she was probably the only person in the galaxy who'd ever managed to cause that reaction within him. Finally he swallowed and nodded gravely. “When will that be, do you think? You know, just so I can clear my schedule.” At her look of amusement he laughed outright and reached forward to grip her hands in his own. “Because I'm pretty sure I'm already there, Sita. But I'll gladly wait around for you to catch up.”
    -----------

Awwww! This was so great.

laloga likes this.
  8. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    @gracesonnet - Thank you for reading! (And for your patience. ;))​

*****​

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Forward, Always

We talked, argued and tried to plan the rest of that night, and for many days after that, but it was useless and we both knew it. Jonas tried to help me with the Force, but we could both feel that my body was slipping away, sliding into an abyss where he nor anyone else could follow.

Meanwhile, life grew within me.

He tried to contact Altis, then later the Jedi Temple, but given our remote location we had a difficult time getting a transmission out, and received no response. Our ship, which had given us so much trouble on the journey here, still refused to cooperate, and we were grounded while Jonas and I attempted the necessary repairs.

I tried not to look at it as if Mundali was keeping us in place, refusing to let us leave, though I grew more desperate each day.

A month passed before we estimated that I was six weeks along. My body was in constant pain from the strain of keeping me alive and growing our child. I think both of us forgot what sleep felt like. One night, as we lay awake next to one another, he looked at me.

Kam, I'm sorry. I never should have...”

I silenced him with a kiss, realizing with mild amusement that I wound up loving him, after all. “Me too,” I said. “But what's done is done. I only wish there was a way...”

If I could give everything up to save you and our child, I would,” he said after a minute. “In a heartbeat.”

He was warm and I thought that maybe we could have had a pleasant life together, if things were different as I replied. “Well, we agree on that, at least.”

Six weeks later...

Traxis glanced up from the helm of the Stark Raven and chuckled to himself at Drake's studious expression as he sat in the co-pilot's seat, adjusting the navacomputer. “Everything okay?”

There was a pause while the boy checked one final set of coordinates, then looked at the scarred clone. “It is now. Just had to make an adjustment to our course.” His eyes slid back to the nav. “We should reach Mundali on schedule.”

That's what I like to hear,” Trax replied. “You're getting pretty good at this, Drake.”

The younger clone nodded, but his eyes were a little distant. Finally he glanced back at Traxis. “Ares said that soon I'll be able to fly.”

You'll need a little more practice with the Wayfarer once we get back, but I think that you'll make a decent pilot, lad.” Ares' familiar lilting accent made him glance up to see the coral-skinned Twi'lek approaching from the upper level of the ship. The two men exchanged a warm glance and Ares came to stand behind Trax, placing a hand on his shoulder.

The scarred clone looked at him. “How's the patient?”

Stable for now...but it will be good to get him to a proper infirmary.” His hand was warm, even through the material of Trax's coat, and the clone couldn't help but lean into Ares' touch just a little. “I've already contacted Weave to let him know to prepare the bacta tank.”

This made Traxis lift his comlink. “Keo...Finn...how's our cargo? You know how important it is to keep that thing stable. And Honi will skin us alive if the new tank from the Chu'unthor is damaged.”

The new bacta tank is fine,” Finn replied, minor static causing his voice to crackle.

Just like it was the last time you checked, Trax,” Risky added with a chuckle.

Well, neither of you got chewed out by the Jedi over the first one, and it's not an experience I'd care to repeat,” Traxis said. “Just keep an eye on everything...it's your job, after all.”

I assure you that we're saluting, sir,” Keo replied, though Trax could hear the grin in his tone.

He ended the transmission and glanced at Drake, who was unable to suppress his smile. “Your brothers are very insubordinate.” The younger clone laughed outright at this, and Traxis joined him after a moment. For a while the three of them remained at the helm, Ares offering a few pointers to Traxis as he maneuvered the ship through the swirl of hyperspace, but otherwise the conversation was light.

Several hours later they exited the hyperspace tunnel and Traxis guided the Raven towards the blank section of space, the coordinates of their new home. Landing's still a bit tricky, he thought as he checked over the sequence in his head. But I think I've about gotten it down. Ares' hand had left his shoulder but the Twi'lek remained behind him, watching the approach of blank space.

Home. We're coming home.

With all of our running around for Altis and Skirata, it's been a little while since we've been back,” Ares murmured as the Raven began to descend through the atmosphere that had suddenly bloomed all around them, the surrounding area filled with streaks of upper-level clouds, below which he could make out a green shimmer, that they all knew was the look of sunlight glinting off of innumerable leaves. “But I'm glad to see it again.”

Traxis thought of their cargo, of their passenger and the things he carried; he smiled again and shook his head in wonder. “Yeah. Me too.”

Honi looked up from her workstation in the lab at Weave's approach, his image distorted by the magnification on the lenses of her goggles. “Was that them?”

Ares said they should be here within a few hours,” he replied, coming to stand before her at the long table where she was working on packaging the most recent batch of xoorzi. His voice was off and she gave him the most appraising look she could manage, given the goggles. After a moment the clone shrugged. “It was...strange. Apparently they have a surprise for us, but he wouldn't say what.”

Frowning, Honi turned back at the assortment of purple fungi spread before her, cast to a pale lavender by the intensity of the overhead lights. “I suppose we'll know soon enough. I've almost got this batch ready for transport. Skirata should be satisfied.” She felt a hand on her arm and glanced up to see Weave smiling at her before he reached for the goggles and carefully lifted them away from her eyes, setting them on the edge of the table. Confused, she tilted her head. “What are-”

When he kissed her, she forgot what it was she was about to say, or what it was that she had been working on so diligently only moments ago; she did not, however, forget that her hands were gloved and coated in xoorzi spores, so she held them out at her sides. But when Weave pulled back he gave her a knowing look. “I don't mind.”

Weave, it's fungus.”

He grinned and shook his head, his implant blinking at her as if in on the joke. “I've been covered in far worse things, Tallis.” She rolled her eyes at his use of her surname, but a moment later she was gripping his broad shoulders, leaving a prints of dusty lavender across his dark shirt. As had become the custom, her heart had started to race beneath her ribcage at his touch, particularly when his hands slid around her back and pulled her even closer.

There was no telling how long they would have remained so, but they heard a throat clear behind Weave; parting, Honi glanced over his shoulder to see Levy and Zara standing at the entrance to the room, smirking. “Aren't you supposed to be sparring with Stonewall?” Honi asked, her voice a little breathless.

Her Padawan raised a brow. “Aren't you supposed to be-”

Knowing full well that her face was flushed, Honi swallowed and lifted her chin. “Did you have a question, Zara?”

Stonewall heard that you got a transmission,” the Nautolan girl said, clearly biting back a grin. Honi glanced at Weave and noted that his ears were red. “He just wanted to know what was up.”

Glancing at one another, Honi and Weave each took a calming breath before he replied. “It was Ares, calling to let me know that they're arriving soon with our first patient and another bacta tank...that reminds me,” he added, looking at Honi. “We'll need to prep the one we do have.”

She nodded. “Zara, I trust you can handle that?” Her face felt more normal now, thank the Force, and her Padawan seemed to have forgotten her lapse in professionalism. Things are rather informal here, I suppose. Zara nodded, her pleasure at being given more responsibilities in the infirmary evident.

I'll even double check the calibration, just as you like,” the girl replied, beaming still. Honi thanked her and watched as she slipped out of the room.

Weave looked at Levy, who was making no attempt to hide his amusement. “Lev?”

The clone boy made a series of hand gestures that Honi knew meant: I need your help. I think we may have a problem.

Nodding, Weave glanced at Honi and gave her a smile, which she returned. “That's my cue...guess I'm going to go tinker. Let me know if you need any help with this?” They both knew she wouldn't, that he would look in on her hours later and start assisting without being asked, but she appreciated his concern, so she nodded. He cast a glance at the doorway, noted that Levy had already turned to leave, and reached for her one more time.

When Weave kissed her, she could sense that it was not an action borne of desire or passion – though those things were present – it was so much more. There was trust, confidence, admiration, as well as an affection that leaped through his veins with every beat of his heart. He didn't say goodbye, but his eyes on hers were warm. As she watched him leave, she again considered the very real, very overwhelming possibility that she might to fall in love with him.

Strange, she thought as she sighed and reached fore her goggles once more. I never thought it would happen to me. The only constant is change, I suppose.

Weave followed Levy to the living quarters, where they were still working out the kinks in the plumbing system. Even after they'd gotten a hold of the proper materials and despite the fact that everyone had helped out when they could, there was still an issue of leaking water in some of the 'freshers. Good thing we were able to figure out a composting situation, Weave thought as he and the younger clone made their way to the problem area. Of course, I try not to think about it too hard, but still...it's the only practical solution.

He sighed when he saw the 'fresher in question. Naturally, it was the one that Crest, Traxis and Ares – when the latter two were planet-side – used; presently, the bald clone was sopping up the water on the floor with a clump of towels.

Thanks for coming,” Crest said as soon as Weave and Levy arrived. “I tried the plunger-trick that you showed me before, but it only made things worse.”

Impressed that his brother refrained from making a joke about bodily functions, Weave began to examine the unit, using his implant to see if he could make out any hairline fractures in the pipes, which had been an issue with another room. Levy crouched beside him, tweaking the knobs that adjusted the water pressure and waiting for the older clone's prognosis. Finally Weave stood up and shook his head. “Looks like we'll have to replace some of the pipes – again.”

Crest nodded. “Anything I can help with?”

It's okay. I'll get Trax to help...it's his turn, anyway.”

At this, the bald clone grinned, offering his brother a rag to wipe the water from his hands. “They're coming back?” Weave nodded and his smiled broadened. “Sita will be pleased...last time Altis sent word that he'd get some new kind of seeds from Mandalore. Something really hardy and tasty, from what she said.”

Crest is different, Weave thought as he dried his hands. Calmer. She's a good influence on him. That or he saves all of his worst jokes for her. “It's probably better that you don't use this one for a while.”

Rather than look irritated, Crest's smile only widened. “Not a big deal. I don't spend too much time here, anyway...” He trailed off and cleared his throat, lifting his eyebrows at his brother, who rolled his eyes.

Right. Well, if that's it...” Weave turned to leave, but Crest stopped him with a touch on his shoulder.

Have I thanked you lately for working so hard on all of this?” he asked, lifting his hand to indicate the building. “And you too, Lev.”

This made Weave smile. “Not today, actually. But it's as much for my benefit as for yours, you know. And you've done your part, too. Everyone has.”

Too bad there wasn't any flash-training for this, right vod?” The bald clone was still smiling. “Otherwise we would have had this place at one hundred percent in no time.”

Weave chuckled. “Live and learn, I guess.” He glanced at Levy, who was grinning as well. “Come on, Lev. I have a feeling we've got more work to do.”

After Weave and Levy left, Crest took a moment to survey his quarters with an appraising eye. Most of the rooms in the main building were clumped in groups of three or four, with each group sharing a 'fresher. His own room – sometimes it was a strange thought – was sparse, containing only a bed, a desk and a few chairs, stacked with holo-novels and vids he'd managed to acquire in the recent weeks. Naturally, the place was sprinkled with clothes, whose exact level of cleanliness he wasn't sure of, but was willing to bet they were mostly dirty. Another glance at the out-of-order 'fresher made him smile again, so he took a deep breath and went to find Sita.

As he walked, in the distance he could hear the snap-hiss of lightsabers being ignited, and figured that Stonewall and Zara were at sparring practice again.

Of course she was in the garden – her garden – kneeling in the dark soil and examining the topato sprouts they'd planted several weeks ago that were starting to show. Sometimes I can hardly believe she's the same person I met all those years ago, he thought as he watched her. The morning sunlight glinted off the bits of her alabaster hair that peeked out from beneath the kerchief she wore to keep the ever-growing locks out of her face, and her simple tunic and pants were smudged with dirt.

Crest called her name and felt his heart leap when she raised her eyes to him, shading them with the flat of her palm. Moments later she was stepping with grace through the rows of green shoots, and they met at the garden's edge. She blinked up at him in the light and he lifted his own hand to shade their eyes at once. “Weave's prognosis was bad,” he said. “He said that my 'fresher shouldn't be used until we replace the pipes.”

Again?” She had dirt under her nails, which he noticed when she dusted off her hands.

So I have no 'fresher,” he continued, shifting into his best 'you-should-feel-sorry-for-me' expression. “None at all. I mean, I guess I could share with someone...”

Sita nodded and pretended to consider his words before she gave him a grave look. “Compromises are a part of life, Crest. Surely one of your brothers won't mind?”

He wrinkled his nose. “Stonewall's living with his pregnant wife...there's no way I'm involving myself in any of that. Traxis and Ares are on their way back – with the seeds Altis promised you, by the way – and as much as I love my brother, I'd rather give the happy couple their space. Weave really should get his own 'fresher, given the amount of work he's put into everything.”

She nodded again. “That sounds fair. In that case, I suppose your younger brothers will have to let you share with them?”

Or...you know...” Blue eyes met his and she gave him a disarming smile that made his heart rate pick up. But before she could answer he bent his head to kiss her. When they parted he grinned at the Arunai woman. “So...what do you think? You could have me whenever you want me.”

But she shook her head. “You are far too messy.”

That can change.” The distant thrum of the sabers grew more intense, but he ignored them as he focused on the slender, white-haired woman before him.

And I can have you whenever I want you, already,” she added, her voice calm. “Now, for example. If I asked, I have no doubt that you'd-”

He shook his head and studied her. “You're trying to distract me, and it's working, but not enough. But, you really don't want me to stay with you?” Try as he might, Crest couldn't keep the hurt from his tone, and she shook her head, a faint smile appearing on her mouth. This made him tilt his eyes down and regard her again. “Are you...you're teasing me, aren't you?”

At this she laughed, the sound music to his ears. “I am, love.”

Devious, I tell you,” he grinned, pulling her close. “Who knew, behind that charming and beautiful exterior lies the heart of a fiend?”

They kissed for a moment more before she gave him a stern look. “However, you will need to amend your habits if this arrangement is to work, Crest. I refuse to live beneath a pile of your dirty clothes.”

Fair enough,” he replied, raising his brows at her. “What about on top?” All he got in return for his joke was her laughter and a brief kiss, but it was so much more than enough; minutes later he was on his knees assisting her in the garden, up to his elbows in dirt and seedlings and thinking that life was indeed beautiful.

Mundali's only functioning bacta tank was situated in the low, round building that the group had begun converting into an infirmary several weeks ago; Zara liked the series of rooms, as they reminded her of the infirmary aboard the Chu'unthor: wide, spacious and surprisingly pleasant. Most of the recovery rooms – located on the outer edges – had plenty of ventilation to allow fresh air to circulate. There had been several large patches of roof missing that the clones had retrofitted with bits of transparisteel, creating odd-shaped skylights that further added to the open feeling of the space. It was quiet now, but Zara knew that would change.

Traxis and Ares are bringing our first patient, she thought as she knelt before the bacta tank, ensuring that the settings were correct. After that, who knows? There must be many people who need help, who need a safe place to rest. The settlement at Mundali was still in its fledgling stages, but she had a feeling that soon they would be bustling.

Satisfied that the tank was in perfect working order, she moved her attention to the rest of the building, checking that they had sufficient accommodations for the wounded man and trying not to think about a certain young clone who would be arriving with the others. The beds were an amalgamation of hospital equipment and various other pieces they'd cobbled together from the praxeum ship, which was slowly being stripped down of non-essential items as it had grown too notable in the last couple of months.

After Altis had spent a few days on Mundali and was assured of its security, arrangements had been made and the settlement was starting to grow into its role as a haven. Since it had been decided, supplies and equipment had started to be ferried in by Traxis and Ares, Keo, Finn and Risky assisting when they could while Levy had remained on the planet, working with his elder brothers to get the place in shape. Drake had chosen to travel with the Raven, and she'd only seen him a handful of times since he'd first left. She still couldn't pin down how she felt about that, so she tried not to let herself think about it too hard.

The room she'd selected for the wounded man was equipped with a proper, medical-grade bed and faced a lovely view of the jungle. She fetched some sheets from the laundry room – the construction of which had been a relatively easy battle for Weave and Levy to win – and made the bed with care. There, she thought once the room was made clean and ready. That should satisfy even Honi.

For a moment she thought she had nothing to do and felt the sense of agitation that always followed thoughts of Drake creeping in, then she recalled that she was supposed to spar with Stonewall. Relieved, she took a moment to extend her senses; he was with Kalinda, and they were both in the nearby jungle, meditating, from what she could tell.

Zara chose not to call either of them through the Force, so she activated the comlink that Stonewall insisted that everyone carry at all times. He replied a moment later. “What's up, Zara?”

I think I'm late for a sparring session.”

She heard him chuckle. “It doesn't count if we're both late,” he replied. “Meet me in the usual place?”

There was a wide, grassy field beyond the garden that the Jedi and clones alike had adopted as their sparring ground. When he was planet-side, Traxis had set up a few practice dummies and spent much of his time drilling the younger clones, Zara, and Ares – to an extent – on various fighting techniques, armed and unarmed; Zara had begun learning to use a blaster as well, though she preferred her saber, but it was practical, she supposed, to learn to fight without such a distinctive weapon.

But not today.

She trotted to the field, noting how the sun was already starting to climb towards its zenith and wondering if it would ever be anything but hot and humid here. Not that I really mind, but it does get to be a little intense, sometimes. I'll have to go for a swim after this, for sure. Stonewall and Kalinda had beaten her to the sparring grounds, and were speaking together, though the dark-haired woman kissed his cheek and slipped off once Zara approached. She'd been busy with her own projects, mostly involving helping Honi with the xoorzi, as well as trying to translate the strange writings that they'd come across in the caverns; they exchanged greetings before the other Jedi made her way towards the living quarters.

Stonewall watched his wife leave then turned to the Padawan, his expression neutral with a hint of levity; she faced the former captain, giving him a respectful bow, which he returned in one fluid motion.

On an unseen signal, they began.

It seemed that Stonewall's abilities with the Force had reached their peak; he was strong with it, though not as strong as Zara was, or any Jedi. Even so, he was physically capable and a very fast learner, so she found the former captain to be a formidable opponent. Each of the other Force-users was different in their own way, which often made her wonder if what Kalinda said about the Force being experienced differently by each Jedi was true.

Ever graceful, Honi's movements were also efficient, designed to vanquish her opponent with minimal effort and flash; when sparring with her, Zara had learned that her master liked to make full use of the Soresu form of combat, and never wasted a motion. By contrast, Kalinda was not so efficient or strong, but was fast and clever and knew how to utilize the surrounding area to her advantage, to make up for the handicap of her knee. A few times, Zara had found herself being diverted to a divot in the ground that she had not noticed, or she'd realized that Kalinda had moved in such a way as to cause her to be blinded by the sun, only to stumble and lose the match.

The Force-sensitive clone was strong and canny, with a lifetime of combat training that made him an opponent to be reckoned with, so Zara had learned a while ago not to underestimate Stonewall just because he was not as strong with the Force as she. The hum of their sabers and the muted thud of their feet against the grass were the only sounds for quite some time as the Padawan and the former captain mock-battled. Zara managed a few fluid leaps that kept her out of Stonewall's reach, but he was patient and waited for her to make a mistake. Which she inevitably did.

It's fun, though, she thought as she danced away from his blue blade, feeling the air move over her lekku. I like sparring with all of them...it's like having three different teachers.

Focus, Zara,” he said, right before he slid his blade in such a way that he would have hurt her had they been in earnest. “Keep your mind on the task at hand.”

I am,” she huffed.

But he only smiled at her. “Then you should be able to beat me, kiddo.”

His chiding tone reminded her of Drake, and she bit back her agitation at the feeling, instead flexing her calves and darting towards him again. “Maybe I will.”

The clone chuckled. “Maybe.” But minutes later his blade was humming at her throat and she sighed. “Perhaps next time,” he added, giving her a knowing look. “When you're less distracted.”

She thought that he knew. He must know. I think everyone does. So she nodded; after they parted ways she decided to go for a swim to clear any and all thoughts of Drake from her head; however, she knew deep down that it was fruitless.

gracesonnet likes this.
  9. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    Aww, so awesome!

laloga likes this.