main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    God, I hate third-party DRM on top of Steam DRM.

Point Given , Ramza and Ender Sai like this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Is it true that if you purchase GTA V via STEAM that you then need to activate Rockstar's DRM?

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't remember. Probably. I bought it from GMG at a discount thinking it would be a Steam key but I only have to use the Rockstar "Social Club."

4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It's pretty much why i'm just biting the bullet and purchasing the Mass Effect series via Origin to avoid having to run two applications simultaneously for the one game.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm pretty sure ME1 and 2 on Steam only use Steam since they came out before Origin did.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    *Shrugs*

No biggie. ME3 is not on Steam so I just figured I may as well purchase the other two on Origin too, especially for the ease of character carry-over.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They're discounted, right? I got them for a few bucks each on Origin when they were having a Bioware sale. Never buy games at full price. For games as old as Mass Effect, at least 75% off is what you should wait for.

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I think so. They packaged the entire trilogy over the Christmas break for $19.95 which is normal for any digital service.

But Origin also throw in the odd freebie. I got Need For Speed: Most Wanted last night, no strings attached. I haven't played it yet.

I haven't logged into STEAM for a good two months because the games i've been playing of late are on Origin. I'll go back to it soon, I need to play System Shock 2. Purchased at a bargain price, still haven't played. Some Deus Ex fanboy I am!

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Guy I am still waiting for your tips on how not having to manage resources in Rise Of Nations.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    R*'s DRM is managed via the R*SC. So I assume if you buy via steam you get that popup with the product activation key to plug into R*SC on first play.

Since it was cheaper to buy the physical copy here than but it on steam, I did just that.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm not sure how they determine which games require Uplay. South Park The Stick of Truth, for example, doesn't.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It was one of the earlier games where it was viable to be stealthy or really loud, depending on your preferred playstyle. Generally the second one was better about giving you a choice, though; the first one had an annoying tendency to force stealth. The humor was very much in that vein of Austin Powers-style "Man wasn't James Bond kind of camp and wacky in the 1960s?" comedy, and I'll be completely honest when I say I have no idea if any of it holds up as the IP is in copyright hell, preventing a good re-release.

I think it might just be a question of whether the title was developed in-house, but don't quote me on that.

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Imagine the download size if you purchased the thing digital!

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You were serious? It's not like it's a big secret.

[​IMG]

SuperWatto likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, Ramza, it was around the same time as Deus Ex.

Actually, on the topic of pioneering turn of the century games - did anyone play Hidden & Dangerous?

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I played it briefly on Dreamcast of all systems!

Don't remember much apart from thinking to myself, "why can't Goldeneye look like this?"

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was great; tactical squad shooter, from 1999, where you could use a variety of vehicles.

I remember one episode, towards the end. You're being pursued by the Wermacht and have to wait for a PBY Catalina to evacuate you. You have maybe 5mins to fortify yourselves before tanks and troops turn up. You end up mining as much of the road they'll use as possible, sending your sniper as far back as you can for coverage, and putting your squad behind cover.

The firefight is intense. I don't think my squad have ever made it out with all men alive. But as you get in the Catalina and look out the window while it takes off, you feel like you accomplished a hell of a lot.

I think it's freeware now - so good. Plus there's playthrough vids on YouTube.

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    To be honest, and keeping in mind I was just a kid, I was put off playing it because of the methodical approach you needed to take to the game. So, my my experience of an FPS was limited to Doom 1 & 2, Half-Life, Unreal, Quake 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and Sin where it was guns blazing all the way. In fact...I had only just started using a mouse with FPS games! Back then I was 100% keyboard. I wrote it off fairly quick but it's definitely the game that many military shooters use in an attempt to stand on the shoulders of the genre.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Happy Valentine's Day to you too, Ubisoft. [face_love]

... Oh, wait, it's because the movie is coming out and they want to cynically exploit their conditioned for annual content fanbase into supporting it, isn't it?

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone have LoZ: Tri Force Heroes and want to be friends?

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So, Deus Ex. I've been meaning to play it since forever and it's dirt cheap over at GOG. Question: will it run smoothly over Windows 10 or will I need to tweak with compatibility settings to get it to run properly?

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It should run fine out of the proverbial box, GOG is built around that philosophy, and if you run into issues they also have really solid tech support. That said, while Deus Ex is awesome it's something they put on sale preeeeetty frequently so you may want to wishlist it and wait for an email saying it's discounted.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    It is 75% off on Steam for the Lunar Sale, which actually ends in less than an hour from now. :p

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Buying something on Steam when it's available on GOG is like being told you can have ice cream and opting instead for the exact same ice cream but only if you get past some angry guard dogs.

Edit: In unrelated news, Ubisoft validates my cynicism.