main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Not really interested in VR right now....I'll wait and see what comes out of it.

I do plan to play Life Is Strange at some point, just not sure when.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    DO IT NOW! So I can talk to you about it.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I saw some weird variants on what Penny Arcade long ago described as "hater mathematics" floating around where the objection was that PSVR secretly cost about $800 but that was factoring in the cost of a PS4. The same metrics would ostensibly include the cost of high-end PCs needed for Oculus and Vive, you'd think, but Internet gonna Internet.

In any case nah, not buying one. My budget is pretty limited, and at this point I've yet to be convinced that VR will survive past this first iteration without slipping back into intense dormancy. They desperately need that "This is VR only and you have to try it!" experience and it doesn't exist yet despite three platforms launching this year.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll only be interested in "virtual reality" when it's a fully fledged holodeck. As it is this seems like another case of Millennials being nostalgic for the 1990's. :p

This is the same thing as "WHERE'S MY HOVERBOARD" being answered with a handle-less Segway. In the 1990's "virtual reality" was in its infancy and now it might be... like, a toddler (who was dropped on his head as an infant).

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    A handle-less Segway that explodes, though. It's got that unexpected perk going for it!

Do you have to own a Playstation to use PSVR, though? I thought it was a standalone system...

In any case, tons of people own PS4s already, so at that price point I think it will get a decent userbase. People bought their consoles a few years ago, so I think a good number are willing to spend the price of another console. A good enough number, anyway.

What I'm looking for is the ability to play actual AAA games on it, though. I know it has limitations and may not be able to look as good graphically as those games would on a TV. But I think I'd be willing to make that trade for the immersive experience, which testers seem to think is genuinely cool. So I'm going to be very, very interested in this year's E3. As Kinda Funny pointed out last year, what would have brought down the house at the Sony presentation last year is if they'd ended their conference by saying, "And oh, by the way, all the games you've seen trailers for today will be available on PSVR." That's the kind of selling point I'd need.

Plus, still, needing to know if it makes me sick.

I think there's a solid chance No Man's Sky will be available for it, though. Seems like a game with simple enough graphics, it's first person, has a lot of interest, doesn't seem like it actually has a huge processing requirement where you are at any given moment...

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You need a PS4. There's a supplemental processor supply for some extra rendering boosts but it's designed to plug in to the system.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Gotcha. I wasn't sure about that.

Well, like I said, given the massive numbers of people who have a PS4, I think it's possible there will be enough people buying one at that pretty reasonable pricepoint (compared to other VR tech) that maybe it'll be around long enough for AAA games to join in. We'll see. I know the companies really, really believe this is the era where VR will actually begin to be a real thing, not just an underdeveloped flop. Sony is certainly putting power behind it.

We'll see if the studios and publishers are willing to devote resources to bringing their content to it, though. From a business standpoint, I guess the tricky thing is selling them on why they should invest extra time and money into VR games or versions of games when they could probably just develop them for PS4 for less money. There has to be a large enough VR player base to convince them there's extra money in developing for that platform... but there also have to be enough unique gaming experiences available to convince people to buy VR units.

Ahhhhh Catch-22.

Hey, random question... any other Telltale fans play Walking Dead: Michonne yet? I played episode 1 and eagerly anticipate waiting way longer than TT says before episode 2 comes out :p

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I have. Episode 1 was enjoyable but short. Not as good as any of the chapters in the first two WD games but fun nonetheless. It's an interesting change of pace playing a character who I'm very familiar with. Players got to create Lee and Clem's personalities in the first games but Michonne is a much more established character to begin with for folks familiar with the comic (and a lesser extent the TV show). I find myself saying and doing what I think Michonne would do, rather than what I might do.

Also, Ep 2 has been announced for March 29 which is a lot faster than I was expecting. AFAIK Telltale has never missed an announced release date so things are looking good.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

VR in 30FPS. Golly.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Huh? Isn't it effectively 120fps.

Lando, I agree with pretty much everything you said about Michonne. Although I haven't read the comics and this is more based on that, being familiar with the TV Michonne definitely affected how I chose to do things. I also agree it's not as good as TWD seasons 1 or 2, but I'll take it as a holdover. I think part of the issue is I feel pretty certain there's no danger Michonne will die, which obviously wasn't the case in TWD season 1... still, I feel like this is at least holding me over until they get around to Season 3.

I really need to play The Wolf Among us, though, which I own. Did you play the Game of Thrones game?

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    SJ you ruined a lulz @ console peasants moment. :(

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You can't always get what you want...

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I still haven't gotten into the whole VR craze. For now it feels to gaming what 3D was to cinema a few years back - a fad.

Darth Guy and Darth_Invidious like this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Wolf Among Us is great. I have GoT on my wishlist but I've heard so many mixed things about it. I'll probably wait for a sale where it's 75% off. Also, I don't play Telltale games until the entire season is released so I'm always behind on them. What I actually want to play, more than any of those, is Tales From the Borderlands which according to many is the best thing Telltale has done to date.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Tales From the Borderlands is amazing. It's worth it for the soundtrack alone and it's great to see Telltale do comedy again.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have that, too.... I may have purchased a massive Telltale pack on Steam a few months ago even though I already owned copies of TWD 1 and 2, GoT, BTTF, and Jurassic Park. But there were tons of other games included, and it cost just barely more than The Wolf Among Us was going to cost on its own! Stupid, stupid Steam.

As someone who owns both consoles and a gaming PC, I am above all of your petty squabbles.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Look, I'm liking Dragon Age: Origins a lot, but . . . for the love of god, who the hell decided the Deep Roads needed like eight different maps in a row? Did they seriously think that the big draw of their game was the scintillating experience of sitting back and watching the computer swing my character's sword at a bunch of off-brand orcs hour after hour, night after night? Jesus Christ, when will it end and let me get back to actually playing the game?

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Orcs? Erm um why no, they are darkspawn!

Speaking of, I sincerely hope you named your mabari war hound Barkspawn. [face_plain]

I just picked up the first mission for Hitman. Ahhh. Absolution is a bad memory of when good franchise get dumbed down for console players.

For the first run - all I've done is explore - I mostly just knocked people the **** out and just loud finished my kills but the Paris mission is huge. In reading about it online there's dozens of ways in which your first target can be brought down and that, at least in my book, is what Hitman is all about. Yes, you can do hilarious things like throw a wrench at a guard and yes, yes of course I did this. I used to love doing it in Blood Money too; in the Colorado party level I would always kill the chef with this method because why not?

I recommend this one.

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I might wait for the full package at the end of the year.

How is the performance with your system compared to GTA V?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    With everything set to ultra and v-sync enabled I get stable 60FPS. The lowest it has gone is 52FPS in a dense crowd scene.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm playing Wasteland 2. It's like 1998 and Fallout 2 all over again. But having my party being followed around by a bunch of cows, goats and rats just isn't a replacement for Dogmeat.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you have a tribal shooting you point blank with an SMG by mistake?

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No, but only because he has unarmed combat instead. I did manage to accidentally shoot my squishy team leader in the head with a sniper rifle though.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, the memories.

Might just purge my not-yet-completed-and-maybe-never-will-be Fallout 4 memories.

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

How are the servers? The DRM issues made me shy away from buying it, especially with the reports of server downtime kicking you out of the game.