main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I might be buying DOOM. I'm a die-hard fan of the original (I still play the many new WADs that get released yearly on a variety of enhanced source ports, and u even jump to multiplayer and even build a new map from time to time) so I know I'm going to be disappointed. But the single player reviews are so good...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    A little bit. I just wanted to see if I could put together a PC that would actually start when I plugged it in and pressed the power button, but now that I have it, I feel obligated to play a video game every once in a while.

Doom looks like a dream with maxed out settings. It really evokes the single-minded tone of the 93 original. You'll be pleased to know I made it out of the set piece intro and got my armor in less than an hour of game play.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I was excited for Doom from the moment Bethesda revealed it at E3 last year. I know the cinematic kills upset people at the time, and they are certainly the weakest part of the final game, but the final result is so much faster and more entertaining than the typical FPS on the market these days. If nothing else it's a refreshing change from the paradigm from the Call of Doodies that has been set in stone since 2007.

4. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 review: The most badass graphics card ever created

it's definitely not clear what kind of a performance boost it offers over a pair of 980s in most situations.

Playing Doom is so much like playing DOOM, it's almost frightening how badly my brain is looking for its old 1990s gaming muscle memories. The neural pathways have deteriorated badly from lack of use, but they still remember that they used to be wired up, so it's creating a bizarre kind of frustration with the sub monkey brain knowing that it used to know how to run and shoot and sending the frustration signals up the cognition elevator to the cursing and shouting centers of the brain.

SuperWatto and Darth_Invidious like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Anyone played Uncharted 4 yet? How bad is the ending?

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I haven't hit the ending yet. The game is amazing though.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Most of the reviews I've seen that mention the ending talk about it being pretty solid, actually.

I'm still on Uncharted 2, though. [face_dunno]

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just finished chapter 6 of Uncharted 4 and it's been fantastic so far. Besides Battlefront, it's actually my first PS4 game. If anyone does reach the ending, please spoiler tag it (and another other discussion of the plot please).

Uncharted 2 was my favorite of the first 3. I hope you're enjoying, Ramza.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's pretty solid, but since I'm playing them in the collection on PS4 I'm not getting as many mechanical improvements off the first game as people did back in the day, and the few changes they did implement (fist fighting in particular) have sort of thrown my rhythm off. I actually give a damn about the antagonists, though, which is a nice change of pace.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My first Naughty Dog experience was "The Last of Us" (on PS3). Besides being one of the best games I've ever played, the controls were extremely solid.

Then my friend let me borrow Uncharted 1 and it felt like I was playing with two left hands, so I actually envy you and appreciate that they tightened up the controls for the Uncharted Collection. Kind of makes me want to own it now, actually.

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Sentence fragment.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm struggling with Batman Arkham Knight - you miss Paul Dini as a writer and the Batmobile segments are just awful.

However, pCARS just keeps delivering.

This guy is obviously using lower scaled difficulty AI - around 80% - and a controller, hence the jerky adjustments of the Mercedes DTM cars. But nonetheless it looks stunning on max settings.

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Got Doom running last night. It's been a while since i've played a First Person Shooter that demands I have fun. The latest Wolfenstein titles were great, but they had the obligatory dark story as the running motif. Doom won't let me progress unless I use my imagination. I remember seeing this ledge which was a steep drop and I spent twenty minutes looking for a path. I didn't think I could survive the drop. Out of frustration, I just threw myself off the ledge and landed totally unscathed. Then I ran and did this impossible long jump. It's SO MUCH fun. Sadly, the multiplayer is underwhelming.

14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Hi, guys, my doctor recently suggested I take up video games. No, really. I'm on disability and have a hard time filling up my time, and video games seem to be a reasonable way to waste the day. My problem is that I have played no video games of any kind since the mid-80's. My reflexes are flabby, I have no intuitive grasp of the way games ought to work, and I don't even know what kind of thing I'd like. So basically, pretend I'm 5 years old.

I did do an online walkthrough of Minecraft, but it looked underwhelming. Basically, I thought it would be dull to pretend to harvest trees for hours. Lego LOTR looked more promising, but it goes pretty fast, and I'm not sure I could keep up. Any suggestions . . . ?

Oh--I'm pretty much limited to PC gaming at the moment, since a PC is what I have.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Maybe try some story-driven adventure games like Telltale's The Walking Dead or Life Is Strange? The majority of the gameplay involves choosing dialogue and making character decisions. Think of them like Choose Your Own Adventure in video game format.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Civilization!

Also, last night playing Doom, I accidentally opened a portal up to a level from the original Doom, and I nearly wept from nostalgia. It was the funniest thing ever. Is that something that happens a lot in video games? I really wanted to write a letter to the New York Times, I was so excited about it.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Wolfenstein: The New Order had the same thing where you go to sleep and you're in a dream where you play a level from Wolfenstein 3D.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Fans have remade the intro of LucasArts' "The Dig" in high res.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    In Uncharted 4
    There's a part where you have to try to play Crash Bandicoot

Also for ophelia I second Civilization. I think also story based or RPG games might be more your thing - I can't not recommend the Witcher 3 first, put the settings on easy so you don't have to worry about the fights much and you'll be fine. It's more of an open world story based fantasy, if you're into fairy tales and whatnot it's great. The fighting element is much more secondary and not much of a nuisance.

Any Dragon Age, Skyrim, Mass Effect, all depends on the kind of world you want to play in. Life is Strange like someone mentioned is also good, it was just a little too dark for me IMO (although a brilliant game)....I like the ones that are more of an escape. But most games nowadays have an easy mode or even a godmode cheat that you can enable so that you don't have to worry about dying every 2 seconds or being fast. Like with Skyrim, I never played without god mode on because I just love running through fantasy viking snow land killing dragons without a worry. It's relaxing.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The original Maniac Mansion is playable on a PC in Day of the Tentacle.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    So I bought and finished 1979 Revolution: Black Friday, and I liked it. Unfortunately, it's very short, and it ends unresolved, on a cliffhanger. That is because it's planned to be released episodically, if there is enough demand for the first one to make production and release of the next ones worthwhile. The first episode is a way of testing the waters. But because it's so short, I can't in good conscience tell you that it's worth it. If you're curious about the subject, or want to support the effort, that's another thing.

The game is structurally like the interactive narratives by Telltale Games (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones et c.), and revolves around a photographer. Through your pictures and interacting with a band of underground organisers, you get a first hand view of the protests that overthrew the monarchy. The pictures you take in-game are placed side by side with real-life pictures of the same scene, along with factoids about the particular pivotal event or topic that you have snapped.

In this respect, it's similar to Valiant Hearts: The Great War (a WW1 game), where you can go to the pause menu and read about the time and place that you currently are playing in, and objects that you find tell a story that you can also pause and read about. Like Valiant Hearts, this game's narrative is based on the accounts of real people and you will see their pictures and family videos in-game, if you choose to. The names are changed. However, because you can tailor to an extent how the story goes, based on how you play, it's not clear which version of the story is the real one.

Your brother works for the royal secret police, your cousin is a non-violent Islamist, your other cousin doesn't shy away from violence, you become friends with a secularist republican, you encounter a group of communists, you can even talk to marxist-islamists (yes, there is such a thing) and you can read about all these groups in-game, so the broad spectrum of opposition voices that were present at the time is represented. The narrative cuts back and forth between a present (1980), where you are being questioned by an interrogator working for the newly formed Islamic Republic and a past (78-79) that recounts your involvement in the protests.

From a narrative point of view, it's interesting, I imagine especially to those unfamiliar with the subject. Unfortunately, it doesn't have controller support, and you walk around exclusively with the keyboard. Some quick-time events require you to click the mouse rapidly and are very unforgiving. Luckily, you can now also use the spacebar for those. Dialog options don't give you much time to think before choosing an answer, though that might be a conscious choice by the developers. I also disliked that in one particular key moment in the story, you are forced to make a choice, you're not allowed to abstain.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I recently got back into Guild Wars 2. So happy that the old World vs. World borderland map is back; it makes for more dynamic gameplay and fights.

Aaaaand an obligatory top 5 SW games cause I'm totes late for this party:
    1) KOTOR
    2) Dark Forces
    3) Jedi Outcast + Academy
    4) KOTOR 2 (w/ restoration mod)
    5) Rogue Squadron

23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    No love for Jedi Knight?

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I am judging you so hard right now Amon_Amarth for liking Jedi Outarse and JA over JK.

Anyone working through Hitman?

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Oh dear. I count JK as Dark Forces. :p It is DF2.