main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    In Crusader Kings II you can castrate Charlemagne.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Civ 5 GOTY is a great game (but prob won't prepare you for Civ 6 since it seems like it has quite different mechanics).

Difficulty depends a lot who your opponents are as well and their location; you can play someone like Venice (who get crazy powerful by end of the game) but if you start next to Attila you'll probably die within 20 turns.

I like China and India from starter civs, as you will focus on a smaller number of large cities. China gets a science bonus which is always good.

Persia and Poland give bonuses that are always useful and don't require any specific strategy so good for trying things out.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I agree about Civ5 being a good entry as well. From personal experience, Rome and Egypt are probably the best to start with - early powerful units (that the Roman Legionnaire can build roads, something that normally only non-combat units can do, is awesome), and special abilities.

4. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    If you want to just learn about the city building/tech, pick the ultimate turtle Korea.

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You can also start on a smaller map with fewer rival nations, which can make for a quicker game. It's a good way to test out strategies, because when you play on the largest map (which nowadays I always end up doing), you feel foolish because 200 turns in, you realize your gambit hasn't paid off...:oops:

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Travelling to another continent and finding 1 of the 8 civs has been there alone for the entire game :(

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

Sure, but in Europa Universalis you can spend 400 years carefully engineering the total destruction of the Holy Roman Empire for a mild, indeed benign slight near the beginning of the game. It's like playing an immortal autocrat simulator.

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I like to keep pet civilisations in Civ. Alexander the Great raging at me from his impoverished Luxembourg equivalent is extremely satisfying.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not a big fan of Europa Universalis because I like the characters aspect of CKII, but this mod's name always amuses me.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tax as high as you can as long as your public order stays at or above 80%, and as long as your growth rate is positive. Build agricultural buildings first because they give income as well as population growth. Trade and economic buildings are good too. Temples improve public order. Schools are my favorite buildings -- they have no bonuses themselves, but they improve the characters you use to govern your important cities (like your capital).

Total War games aren't very complex -- they're fairly on the mainstream end of strategy games. Once you sort of figure out how they work, you can pretty much take what you've learned and adopt it with every single TW game (regardless of era covered). They're fun, easy, and have some great historical mods once you've mastered the vanilla games.

If you're failing your first couple of games, that's fine. It's sort of trial and error until it starts clicking. Once you get it, you'll get it.

The strategy mode, at least. The tactical mode is just your standard military stuff. High ground good, hammer and anvil, flanking, artillery for softening, all that good stuff.

....Paradox games, on the other hand, are just... trials by fire. They have no tutorials to speak of, are ridiculously complex, and just. Yeah. Crusader Kings II is impossible to explain, you just sort of go into it until you figure it out. Once you do, it's amazing, but until then it's just confusing as all hell.

I STILL haven't figured out how to play Victoria 2 or Hearts of Iron IV because they're just too complex and confusing and it's not worth it.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    One does not "play" Victoria 2 so much as one avoids getting ousted by unruly pops who don't know their place, and then World War I drains your resources.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    With Paradox games, though, sometimes you'll find yourself thinking, "Is this intentional or is it a bug?"

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    But then the Holy Roman Empire gets invaded by the Aztecs and you no longer care?

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I always turn off Sunset Invasion. :p Too stupid.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It was kind of amusing the first time when I had that DLC on and no idea what it did, but yeah... no need to see it again.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've never gotten far enough to see WWI. I just don't have the patience to figure out the economic system.

...all I wanted was to revive the Byzantine Empire, is that too much to ask?

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    What? Never! I love it.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

If you ever play the After the End mod (a post-post-apocalyptic America based on A Canticle for Leibowitz), Sunset Invasion triggers a massive British invasion of the kingdoms of the Americas

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

We can but dream.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This **** is why I quit the games forum.

Edit: I'm replying to a weeks old post. This is what happens when I check a thread about 6 times a year. As you were...

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Huh. So it turns out Civ 6 is actually decent. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I played Civ III back in the spring of 2002, and I had a blast with it. I was Xerxes and winded up second place at the end of it all. I've always wanted to go back to that series.

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    This post implies you played 1 game of Civ, liked it, then never played again. I didn't think that was possible.

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    So is there a white version of the new Nintendo Switch?

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I played a bit of Civ II as well back in the day.