main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    To be fair, this probably wasn't a creative decision. It was clearly a business one. It's probably the right business decision and will ensure more sales. This may have come from Sony as much as ND.

But I think Naughty Dog are so good creatively, and so far have never failed to live up to a tough creative challenge, IMHO. I mean, a fourth Uncharted game was gonna be hard, but they knocked it out of the park. I think they could do a great new story with new people in that world that wouldn't even need to be comparable to Joel and Ellie.

To be fair, that probably means they will also still come up with an impressive story for this one that doesn't let us down. I just wanted to see them bring their creative vision to a new story in that world.

As it is, the first game is a very complete story about a man changing: not into someone who wants to save the world, because what has the world done for him that he'd want to do that? But into someone who wants to save one person. It's a very different "hero" story.

And I think it should be obvious that I am the last person to ever whine about how bad game/shows/movies are just to make myself feel superior. I barely ever really hate any major media I consume. I know how hard it is to make these things and execute a vision... Whining about absolutely everything is the worst quality of nerdom, for sure. Believe me, you won't hear that from me. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game anyway. And no, it won't "ruin" the first one, even if it's not good. I am just saying I would have *preferred* a new story. I'm mildly disappointed is all.

I'm sure it'll still be good, though. Now would ND like to pay me $550 again to come in and play it for them? Because that was the best job of all time

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Lord Vivec - how do you not?

I've got X hours (I'll check later) but I've already bought the BMW M4 looking car, the super bike, the Porsche, the Quad-copter, the 3d printed silenced pistol, the 3d printed silenced SMG, and a bucketload of clothing options (let me impart wisdom here so you may learn from my mistakes; there's no way you can avoid looking like a hipster douche).

Whenever you see the blue and white $ on the map, go pick it up. Might have to kill some guys first, but c'est la vie. And every time you jack a car, you'll get random items like Aiden did. Go to the pawn shops - an icon of a diamond ring on the minimap - to sell them.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So, I play lots of Minecraft.

Yes, I am four years old.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    oh and use the middle mouse button + space hacking option on like... every civ.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've actually not been playing that much. I did a few small missions and then other things came up.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Fair enough.

Use what I said as a guide though.

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I plan to.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well.

Good.

Also though get used to hacking cars, esp the middle mouse/space option of making it go backwards. Trapping a lowbie with this is hilarious.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I do not understand the appeal of Minecraft. What is it for you?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Probably that he enjoys building.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, that's something I could never play. I don't particularly like crafting things or creating art. I don't have much use for generic building blocks, either. I might enjoy a cool Lego set, but that's defined for you.

I don't really care for pure sandbox games with no direction, no story, no set objective. I prefer my games to have at least some structure.

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    i love terrorizing civilians in this game.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah it was, I feel, a step backwards that you don't have that metre measuring the public's view of the Vigilante. It really worked over time to make you avoid killing civillians - even collateral damage or shooting cops were hassles. As a result you tended to either just deal with being a public menace and have the cops called all the time; or with managing conflict so civilians were protected (i.e. in gun fights, rescuing them from cars).

Marcus is a joyful protagonist and hipster douche. That he can terrorise with impunity not only feels like a concession to the simpler tastes of most gamers (cough consolepeasants) but out of character for him. I think it's a misstep to be honest.

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It probably is. Feels too much like GTA in the wrong way in that sense.

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004

Ender Sai said it. As a little kid who wanted to be an architect (lolnope), Lego was my toy of choice. Still are, come to think of it. When TFA's toys debuted in stores, I didn't get any action figures. I just got a bunch of the Lego stuff.

Also, if you find a really good server with a chill community, it can still be a very solitary and relaxing game, but when you get bored, you can go check out what other people have built.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I haven't played much Minecraft but I do like to fiddle with Terraria from time to time. Mind you I don't get so much into building as digging large holes, goofing around, and eventually getting killed by monsters.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Not to mention getting lost cave systems (in Minecraft, anyway).

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also, recent games have been so meta...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I used to really enjoy all the classic Maxis Sim games. I think I still would, to be honest, and it's kind of a shame nothing like that exists anymore (and if you say Farmville, I will cut you).

But those had structure and objectives within them, and a logical progression. You were building towards something. I don't like super open sandbox games much at all. Some with stories are okay, but even then there's a limit to how much I want to do on my own. I play games to follow a story.

I don't like having no boundaries or objectives. Minecraft just seems so overwhelming for that reason. And I feel like ultimately I get pretty bored with them... Which reminds me, I should try jumping back into No Man's Sky now that they've added more objectives. I was interested in the ones laid out already (Atlas Stones, getting to the center). But these new additions might help make the journey to get there a little more interesting.
    That was basically Ubisoft's own wanted system, straight out of the way it worked in Assassin's Creed games (which, ahem, are developed primarily with consoles on mind). I'm surprised to hear they took it out, what with it being a touchstone of their games. I wonder if that means it will be gone from the new, reworked AC game? Seems kind of strange to be honest.

You still haven't answered whether you have the option to turn off social features, as I believe you did in the last game. Because having to interact with strangers while you just want to play a game to escape real life, where you already have to interact with annoying strangers is... ew.

20. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004

Yes, I completely understand about the having no boundaries or objectives. In fact, I feel similarly about a lot of sandbox type games. Garry's Mod, for instance. I could understand its appeal, I just couldn't get into it. There was such a lack of direction that I sat there upon opening the game just twiddling my thumbs. At least with Minecraft, you start it and you're in the middle of the wild, night is coming (and thus mobs), you're getting hungry, and you have to figure out how to survive. So there is that direction pulling you one way, at least if you're playing in survival mode, which is almost always the only way I play. Minecraft also has lots of bosses and fun things to find, which you can tick off a list, but like I indicated earlier, I'm mostly a builder. So I mine, then I craft. :p I haven't killed any of the big bosses like the Ender Dragon or a wither yet.

I love the idea of No Man's Sky, but the poor reviews have kept me far away.

I used to play Sim City 2, 3, and 4. Great games all. I liked 4 the best, because after it came out was when the modding culture had begun in earnest, and you could download so much stuff to add to the game. But then they started tying it up with all the Sims stuff, and take care of this thing they need, and this other thing, and I just hated it. I have plenty of problems of my own, what do I want other people's for when I'm playing a game in the first place as an escape? I think I like the idea behind the Sims games, and I was open to playing them on their own terms and not infecting a completely different game, but after trying one of them, I found the execution actually rather lacking. Just wasn't to my taste, I guess.

I haven't tried the latest Sim City, which from what I read severely restrained city size, looks cartoonish, and removed a lot of the features of 4. Many of the people that liked 4 said that Skylines (I think that's what it was called) was far superior.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Cities: Skylines is basically the current successor to SimCity in much the same way that Planet Coaster is where you should be going for a Roller Coaster Tycoon fix: the feature set is more robust, the tutorials are sparser, and while they're excellent games probably actually superior to what they replace nobody can quite stop bringing up the lack of a certain special "something" (I'm inclined to suspect it's "being younger" but maybe not).

Edit: And speaking of Minecraft I totally want to buy it and try doing this.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cities: Skylines is the most played game in my Steam library. The new "Natural Disasters" DLC is quite excellent, as well.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah but Sim City is probably my least favorite. Where's my substitute for Sim Tower or Sim Farm or Sim Farm?

24. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Finished the Knights of the Eternal Throne SWTOR expansion today. Good stuff, especially chapter 7 which is up there for some of the most ****** stuff I've seen in Star Wars.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I never played SimFarm but have you looked into Stardew Valley? It's basically just farming, hanging out with townsfolk, and listening to chill music.

(Mind you it's not very sim-y but I just like recommending that game.)