main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ramza, I have the distinct sense the only person more creatively destructive than me at HITMAN would be you.

Have you played yet?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No but it's been well on my radar as I've watched the guys at Giant Bomb get up to fantastic shenanigans. What with the holiday coming up I'm expecting some extra cash, so it's probably getting bought soonish.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like Cities: Skylines and I'm interested in Planet Coaster (once the price goes down). One important question: does it allow you to murder disgruntled guests by picking them up and dropping them into water?

solojones likes this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    For no reason I cut up fugu incorrectly in the Japanese level. I didn't even use it, but I could take that risk.

Opening up power sockets that conveniently reside in puddles and letting half the map kill itself there is the best.

Ramza likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

sheer joy

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Anyone played and/or enjoyed Total War: Warhammer?

Price drop on Steam for the first time in a while, was thinking of picking up. Rather enjoyed Rome: Total War II and the Napoleon one.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What exactly is the appeal of Warhammer anyway? Seems like a parody of testosterone fueled fantasy.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I am not familiar with the concept of Warhammer, really. I know there's a lot of lore behind it - I just was more interested in this particular game, as I heard it was the best submission in the Total War series.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Can we talk board games in here? If so, I just played Tokaido last night during game night and it's pretty fun and oddly relaxing.

The game is basically taking a trip through Japan, and gain points by doing interesting things. Very simple, but fun.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sounds really great. Finding a board and/or card game is something I've always wanted to do, but never gotten around to. The DC Comics Deck Building Game was one I was looking at.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    See, I think this is the problem with modern simulation games. They're just so cutesy. The Maxis games were always about looking at systems on a managerial level. And as a person with a very engineering-y mind, that appeals to me. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to figure out the Total War games, because that's essentially the strategic management of a society. Although maybe Civilization is a bit more so?

If we're going to talk about board games... Betrayal at the House on the Hill is one of the absolute best nerdy party games ever. I even got my parents into it. And my brother who is hard to play games with because he gets furious when he loses and takes it as a sign that the universe hates him. He'll play because unless you're the traitor, you're playing as a team rather than against each other.

I just wish they'd release more story packs, because while having 50 different haunts, they actually have room just in the current arrangement for several dozen more. Or just a whole new set of items.

I've heard Mansions of Madness is the suped up version, but my friends have never actually gotten around to trying it. Evidently it takes a long time to set up. But I still want to play it... Unfortunately my friends who have it are having a kid and I don't know if we'll be having many more game nights.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, but only the European style ones that have over a billion pieces and a rule book so dense it comes it audiobook format too.

i.e. any FFG boardgame would also qualify.

I'd add RPGs too, for JoinTheSchwarz

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Civilization is much more broad-based than Total War. It's my favourite game series of all time though.

I just bought Civilization: Beyond Earth on the Steam Sale. It's weird and I don't understand it, but the aesthetic is really good and I like the idea of the tech web - it's pretty overwhelming though since I just dove right in (though I was playing on such a low difficulty I have plenty of time to come to grips with the system).

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If you want to play Beyond Earth, I'd recommend the Rising Tide dlc, as it improves the game from unplayable to tolerable. That said, BE isn't my favorite Civ game and it's got a lot of problems.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The direct lineage Stardew Valley is a refinement of is 20 years old. :p

But yeah if you want a serious intense crunch farm simulation it isn't that.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes I got the GOTY edition which included Rising Tide. I like the idea of moving cities across the map, but in then end I didn't use it much because I could buy tiles easily.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Ramza likes this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I just want Sim Farm, dammit! A game that forced you to rotate your crops so you don't deplete nutrients soil. Oregon Trail is another great simulator in a way. The later versions, like 3, had a good deal of resource management.

I just recently also installed some of these old Emergency Room simulator games on my PC. So awesome. There are few games now that would make you fill out a real medical chart, complete with actual medical terminology, and punish you for running diagnostic tests in the wrong order.

This is the kind of insane nonsense I'm after.

Believe me, I'm quite familiar with Harvest Moon and its bastardization of the commercial grade farming experience from previous simulators [face_plain]

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah but most other sims don't let me name my pet cow "Señor Milk."

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Ramza That's "Señor Leche" to you. :p

solojones likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, that's ridiculous.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, yeah. THAT'S taking it too far.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean, Monsieur Leche, maybe.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you also call your Mabari war hound in Dragon Age Origins "Barkspawn", Ramza?