main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    so, theoretically, instead of paying $60 for Mass Effect: Andromeda, I could buy Borderlands 2 for $19 and play that all weekend instead.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I paid $45 (yay Amazon Prime discount) :p

I'm not regretting the decision so far.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh clearly the answer here is drop $24 on Hearts of Iron IV while it's on sale, and then conquer the world as fascist Peru.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Is Borderlands the kind of game you can enjoy solo or is it better (or even necessary) to play it coop? And is the population still enough to go coop without much issue?

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    IMO borderlands is better co-op.

6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I've only ever played Borderlands solo and enjoyed every minute.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I've been thinking of giving it a try and become frustrated with another sorta-kinda rpg with RNG loot drops. And if the loot isn't nerfed to sate the needs of a pvp community, all the better! :p

8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I didn't find it very fun to play coop with strangers, as they either horde all the loot or, if it's loot you happen to not need, they spend 5 minutes mulling over whether to pick up every single thing they encounter. Sometimes they don't even cooperate all that much and run off doing their own thing, and I'm like why are you even in my game? :p

It can't compare to playing with a friend, which I also did for a while. Otherwise, I preferred playing alone.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm not one just to flatter people, so you know I mean what I'm about to say. And here it is (the thing I'm about to say), which is this:

You guys really know your stuff

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

I hear you. Sometimes dealing with random players can be a pain. I dunno if Borderlands has anything akin to raids where communication and coordination are necessary to killing the boss and securing the loot. But when you're stuck with mindless players that can't get their **** together...yeah, that can be real "fun".

So loot drops in Borderlands can be stolen by other players in the world if you don't get to them first?

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    i don't know where else to brag about this, but I beat Tyranny earlier this week in the "Trial of Iron" mode (one save file, you die, save file deletes itself) :D

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    There's really not much strategy to proceedings, just fire away. I don't know if there's anything resembling raids, I haven't played any game that has them to know what it entails. But all missions can be played alone if you want to, so there's nothing in the campaign that expressly requires cooperation. Loot drops, or loot hidden away in closets or trunks and the like are free for all. There's one of each and finders keepers. Sometimes, I would play in other people's games, and I would give the host the courtesy of having the first look at any new drops. But it's not a given that people in your game will do that, and then it's your loss.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    How was it? I couldn't get into it as I did for PoE.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Yeesh. When you put it like that, it almost makes something like Destiny 's loot drop system seem "fair", and that's saying a lot.

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That's interesting, because I actually got into Tyranny more than Pillars. I think it's cause Tyranny's combat is more dynamic than PoE's.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Courtesy of Beamdog's Twitter account: http://planescape.com/

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and so on and so on.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This screenshot is emblematic of what I hate about Mass Effect Andromeda

[​IMG]

You apparently can't disagree with people the devs didn't want you to disagree with. In the above screenshot, a group of people treated you with suspicion and hostility despite you having helped others in their group earlier. When you help these people out, though, they change their tone. That's fine. In fact, I have no problem with that series of events. What I do have a problem with, however, is that I can't admonish the person. I can't tell them they were wrong. I am given two options: affirm their decision as correct or downplay the negative aspects of their decision. I cannot tell them they were wrong. I cannot tell them I think they're wrong. In fact, there have been many instances where I have just had to affirm an npc's statement or action with no ability to disagree. I don't care to fight whatever internet culture war is surrounding this game, but this is a clear problem. Taking away the renegade and paragon options is one thing (sure, I'll miss that we won't get a "Ryder is an jerk" video but that's not the biggest deal in the world). But either you have to disagree with someone because the devs want you to, you have to agree with someone because the devs want you to, and a small percentage of times you get to chose between either. You've been completely neutered.

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's so beautiful.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So um, is Andromeda worth getting?

I've been playing a bit more Wildlands, and whilst being a very patriotic American soldier and indiscriminately killing targets with no regard to innocents has been fun (esp with friends), I've reached that point where I've got the best kit and my drone has an explosive attached so I can literally do entire missions without getting close to a target. Which is of course VERY patriotic but also boring.

23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Nearly done with Deus Ex, sidelining that with Shadows Of The Empire.

I might get Prey next and save Andromeda for Christmas - hopefully by then the bugs would have been resolved.

EDIT:

Actually,
    [​IMG]

24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Finished Mankind Divided - I liked it, but preferred Human Revolution. I love the new augmentations (remote hacking is the best yet), the overall look and feel of the game. But I preferred the locations of the predecessor and the path/ending system. Although the final mission in London did make for a great dilemma.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001