main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I finished Andromeda yesterday. It's good, but not great. The gameplay is fun, but it's still got some bugs, and I felt like the story dragged in places. Overall, I would say it's worth getting if you're a fan of the franchise, just don't set your expectations too high.

2. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm maybe about a quarter of the way through right now and I'm having fun. It's not great, like Amos said, but it's fun. I'm also not really feeling as connected to these characters and the story like the previous games in the franchise.
    It's fine, it's fun, and I think it's worth playing.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Anyone up for some Prey this Friday? I've pre-ordered my copy. I'm very confident for this one - think a cross between Bioshock and Half Life with elements of System Shock.

Console demo impressions (none for PC!):

4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

I think that's what kind of threw me. On the one hand, we had this really intimate setting where most of the game was traversed by train. Yet the story is plunged into an illuminati new world order type plot. If you're going to keep your settings small, keep the politics local. Why not have the story somehow replicate a Rodney King type of scenario where an aug is killed in town and we see how that divides a small community. That way the smaller settings will have greater impact and will seem more immersive because we won't have the distracting narrative of "world bankers are to blame for this AAAAAARGGHHHHH" *shakes fist at sky*.

That would be in the spirit with a game that Warren Spector has always wanted to make. He always wanted to make a game that was set in a small city block where every building and room could be explored and every NPC had a story to tell. What a great way to pay tribute to the man.

That's why I prefer Mankind Divided; the world domination plot worked because, much like the original Deus Ex, we got a sense of how other countries were responding to the oppression.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    My game's equivalent of Jabba-wocky is very unhappy that I've upgraded all the humans of my civilization into perfect immortal machines.

[​IMG]

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Is Stellaris as much of a Star Trek universe style politics simulator as everything I've seen suggests it is? I'm kind of into the idea of being able to make radicalized sentient mushrooms and explore the galaxy before being assimilated by knockoff Borg or whatever.

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Stellaris takes ideas, themes, and situations from many scifi stories, including Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc. In fact, I'd say Babylon 5 has a bit more influence on this.

Ramza likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's still pretty rad. Now if I could just get a good sale price.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Also friend me on steam.

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Mm...yeah...that's not good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I'm doing yet another Dragon Age playthrough. This time with the goal of playing through all the DLC (even for II, especially for II) and trying to get every single quest accomplished within reason. Collecting missions and races can go bugger themselves.

Really, I just wanna play as Sarcastic Hawke/Inquisitor. I hear that's glorious.

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just finished Doom on Ultra Violence - what a relaunch. I hope there's more to come. My only complaints is the load times on initial startup and the multiplayer is lack lustre because that component of the game was outsourced to another studio. But that's it, loved every bit of it.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I'm astonished. Bethesda were really happy to show off the console versions of Prey but had hidden the PC version from the press and didn't make the demo available on PC either. So I was convinced that the PC version was going to be an absolute mess.

I'm really happy to be proven wrong, Prey has been shaping up to be one of the more interesting titles of the year. I'll probably look into it once I've finished up with Persona 5.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I mean, that's cool and all that it runs well but is the actual game any good? That is what I want to know.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    The review embargo should be lifted soon as today is release day. I'm optimistic as a result of that article above and the "First Hour" videos that have been circulating on YouTube.

Bethesda said that rather than take out development time to put together a demo, it just made sense to spend that time polishing and re-polishing the game. For now that seems to have paid off.

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Got it working last night. Incredible game. Bethesda have lived up to their promise by releasing a perfectly optimised product. It definitely isn't a Dishonoured 2 situation. I've running a system that is going to be four years old in September, I have the game running at full HD, all settings turned to maximum and it runs crisp. I'd say the engine has a lot to do with that (Crytech). Brilliant stuff, I think this will be my obsession for the next couple of months.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "runs crisp".

What, Melbourne hipsters have decided American English is ok now?

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Sorry, it's a bobby dazzler!

It's going straight to the trophy room.

Happy?

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I built a Dyson sphere in Stellaris and I lost it. I had assumed there would be a marker.

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Who loses a Dyson sphere?!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There is. The system name should have a special border for megastructures.

Also, I started Dishonored recently for the first time. It's like a steampunk Deus Ex HR.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I found it through the energy output. :p

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006