main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Just ordered a new PC

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
    Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC

Contains the main bits anyone really needs to know

So what game/s should be a must have for me. It should arrive next Wednesday.

I do have a PS4 and have games like GTAV on there as my old PC didn't have a hope in running it. I'm content with the PS4 version but is it really worth shelling out additional money to get the PS4 version of any game on PC?

I am expecting some form of Console Peasant response from Ender and it's probably warranted.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm doing a replay of my favorite console game of all time, 2006's GOTY, Okami. Has anyone ever played this? I revisit it every 5 years or so.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Get PUBATTLEGROUNDS if you like multiplayer Battle Royale-esque games. Its what DayZ should have been

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

If you've not played it already then get Doom. It a tenner on Steam at the moment and is an absolute steal at that price. It'll run like a dream on that setup and look gorgeous to boot.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    FatBurt It's not a game that'll tax your system, but Hollow Knight is an exceptional metroidvania title.

Don't be fooled by its art style, it's probably the most melancholy game I've played since the original Dark Souls, and it's tough as nails to boot. Yet it plays like an absolute dream.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'll look into it

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I bought it during a PSN flash sale a while back but haven't played much of it. The (seemingly) hour long opening cutscene was kind of a turn off.

Yoooo I've been playing Hollow Knight for the past month or so and it's awesome. Every time I think I'm getting close to the end I discover more of the world. The other day I spent an hour just trying to do the Trial of the Fool. :p

Chewgumma likes this.
  8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I picked it up thanks to the summer sale, so I've only sunk about 5 hours into it so far myself. However I'm already getting a sense of just how overwhelmingly large the map is. I just went back to the Forgotten Crossroads and found an optional boss fight and two NPCs that I had completely overlooked.

Team Cherry has done a stellar job. I'd go as far as saying it's potential GotY material if it wasn't for the really strong year it's been for games.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope you don't have a cheap OEM power supply. :p

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Hamster wheel.

Darth_Invidious and Ender Sai like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That's close to my current system specs, FatBurt, your i7 is a bit better. Very cool, hope you enjoy!

I've been having some overheating issues, had them very significantly this weekend when trying out Arkham Knight on PC. Trying to decide whether to take the plunge on installing some basic, inexpensive Corsair liquid cooling.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I think it may have less to do with your cooling and more to do with Arkham Knight's poor optimization.

Chewgumma and heels1785 like this.
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, that game is infamous for its terrible PC port.

Chewgumma and heels1785 like this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Had no idea. I knew the game was broken at launch, but didn't know that the problems were deeper than a few bugs.

Thanks for the heads up.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    IIRC It was so broken they literally gave up on fixing it properly.

Chewgumma likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    And they offered unconditional refunds to everyone who bought it on PC.

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

And that was after several months of the game being removed from the Steam store too.

There are dozens of AAA titles with bad PC ports, but I don't think I've ever seen one get pulled from sale before Arkham Knight.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Never preorder, everyone. :p

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I actually did just preorder a game, but this is an exception - Project CARS 2.

If you didn't have a wheel, then yes, it was an awful game but I have a G920, so yay!

That it comes with a 1:43 TSM model of the McLaren 720s and a season pass for all the car/track pack DLCs makes it worth while. Plus beta tests have been exceptionally positive.

Arkham Knight, by contrast, is a terrible, terrible, terrible game. It's almost Origins level bad. Save yourself the as-yet unmanifested hatred and play the Telltale series instead.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I gave Obsidian $250 for Pillar of Eternity 2 so they better not **** it up.

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Arkham Knight starts well, looks superb, control memory from the previous game is still there. opening mission is a nice gentle start and then

The tank arrives and it's all downhill from there

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The hell do you get for $250?

This is what AU$220 gets:

[​IMG]

Bear in mind:

1. Demonstrated racing nerd
    2. Demonstrated car nurd

I loved pCARS 1, but it sucks when I don't race for a bit and get rusty. Age, you bastard.

I think the only other times I've preordered were for:

* World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King in some fancy box set with a special pet, soundtrack, art book etc
    * Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, because Deus Ex
    * Ghost Recon Wildlands - because I played the beta and really enjoyed the coop.

But our version of Best Buy routinely gives away preorder bonus packs when you buy OTC later, so if there's any actual benefit you still get it. I got the Mass Effect Andromeda preorder armour, which is great because the game is so achingly ordinary that I never play it.

FatBurt, you filthy console Welshman!

it is worth getting GTA V on PC if you haven't played in a while and want to do online stuff with people. And the 1060 will give you a steady 60fps at max settings.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    **** GTA Online. It almost killed OpenIV!

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Welshman! you go too far Ender Sai

Not played GTAV on the playstation in ages so it may be worth dropping £20 on in the current Steam sales. I've also never really done any online stuff as it's crap on the PS4.

May be worth a revisit when the new kit arrives next week.

Ender Sai likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, Take2 did that because modders, who use script injectors and not OpenIV, were spawning drip fed car content.

i.e. the latest update has unreleased cars in the files, which unlock on a certain time/day. So for example we're getting the Aston Martin RB1 proto, a 1990 Lotus Elise with machine guns - a sort of Bond car - in the front, a Jag C-X75 prototype, and the Cheetah Ferrari Testarossa from Vice City.

These are all spawnable/playable now with a cheat menu.

What R* have done in the past is release cars like the Pegassi Osiris (Pagani Huayra) a week before the Progen T20 (McLaren P1), because FOMO drives people to buy both and FOMO drives people to buy Shark Cards. If you can test cars and decide there's no benefit to owning them, then you're less likely to buy shark cards.

Hence why T2 was like "no, we've had enough."

Instead of shelling out for servers and anti-cheat, which would guarantee revenue from Shark Cards.