main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I did five hours of grinding trolls in a pitch black cave in The Witcher and I liked it.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No one will ever understand my pain, the pain of being the one person that thinks Witcher 2 was the best game in the series, striking as it did a careful blend between the prepwork of 1 and the slightly too actiony combat of 3. Truly this is geohell.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    @Ramza The Witcher series was always bad.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Boy are you lucky he isn't head admin anymore

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, my own shtick turned against me! My one weakness!

Luckily the shtick was always bad, or I'd be in serious trouble.

tom likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you really calling Witcher I and II prequels?

Kids today...

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’m sorry! The two previous installments.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sheesh, next you'll say you haven't read the original books even though now they've all gotten official English translations and you don't have to hunt down shady fan translated epubs. You whippersnappers wouldn't know a mustachio'd Geralt from a painting of Sam Elliott.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Probably started with Blood of Elves, too.

Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm picking up my copy today. Sony's propaganda and the glowing reviews have managed to get me pretty excited for it.

It's been a pretty busy week for me in the world of video games. I'm torn between spending my weekend playing God of War, Yakuza 6 or grinding out Kulve Taroth's armour set in Monster Hunter: World.

I could also spend it being an adult and doing something constructive, but that's boring.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    God of War is out for delivery. Not sure when it'll make it to my house, but it doesn't matter as I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours. Then I go home, work out, eat dinner, and we're headed to Baltimore for the weekend. With any luck, I'll get to play it Sunday for a bit.

I got to play some BotW last night. I got a special bridal and saddle for my horse so now when I whistle he warps right to me. The downside, if I'm running away in close proximity and I want him to run to me and mount him in stride, I can no longer do that. He just warps.

Next side quest I decided to try was the hunt for the Royal Armor in Hyrule Castle. I found 1/3 by the dining hall, but couldn't find the guard's chambers or 2nd floor. Plus, I still don't have the timing down perfectly for those Guardian's shooting beams. It's super frustrating, especially when you get hit and then they hit you again and again and you can't get up to fight, defend, or retreat. Mipha's Grace Plus is a godsend.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    watched a stream of gameplay that went way too late. looks like a lot of fun - will probably get it eventually.

that big **** talking snake bloke doesn't seem to show up for very long, thankfully. at least from what i've seen

^ he does.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    And my wife just texted me that my package came. Damn Amazon for being so efficient and damn me for not taking the day off.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm playing a point-and-click indie game called A Case of Distrust. It's a mystery set in the 1920s where you play a female private detective. It's basically text based and you fill your notebook with evidence by examining things and then use the evidence to question/contradict people you're talking to. It has a somewhat interesting art style that I kind of like and kind of don't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main character isn't really coming to life at all, due to the kind of stilted style of the writing and the story is pretty bland. I'm a bit over an hour in and I'd probably quit at this point if I wasn't so anal. Also, I hear that I'm about a third of the way in already, so it's short enough for me to press on. If it was ten hours or something, I'd bail for sure. Anyway, not really recommended.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    @Rogue1-and-a-half If you're looking for a similar type of game check out Contradiction: Spot the Liar!. It plays like one of those FMV mystery games from the 90s and has similar gameplay where you interview suspects and try to find contradictions in their answers. The best part is that the characters, especially the detective you play, are kind of over-the-top and goofy.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I just watched a 18 minute blind play through on Youtube of "A Case of Distrust". It definitely looks cool, but I see how it can get old fast. It also seems like WAY too much reading. I also question how much the story changes based on what you select. My guess is not that much.

Anyway, the Youtuber "Dragonster16" who does the blind play has ten 18 minute videos from late February to early March, so I'm assuming he completed it in roughly 3 hours. If I bought it, I would at least finish it as well, but thanks for the advice to avoid as I will do just that.

I watched a little bit of "Contradiction" and it does look better than "Case", in terms of at least immersing you in the world/gameplay.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Boba if I were to do this _\m/ would it mean anything to you?

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So far God of War is absolutely spectacular.

heels1785 and Chewgumma like this.
  19. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I know right!?

The first boss fight against "The Stranger" is simultaneously the most intimate and most spectacular opening in the whole franchise. Between the combat animations, the environmental effects and the effective use of scripted events it left me blown away. It's blockbuster gaming at its finest.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm so tempted to go to my local store and buy it right now. I was gonna wait a week, but the temptation is too much.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The single take camera works really well.

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's the most effective use of a single take camera I've seen in a game.

Although I did make it bug out during the aforementioned boss fight, because the scripted ending to the fight sequence required Kratos and the boss character to be at the other side of the map. I love it when cinematic vision awkwardly collides with player freedom.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for making dialogue choices and such, but this one has way too much reading. I don't know . . . how much would it have cost to at least get someone in there to voice the main character? I mean, if she had a voice that would cover a lot of the other flaws and help her character come to life. And, yeah, I think the getting old fast thing is exactly right. I mean, I was about thirty minutes in and, outside of the story, I felt like I'd seen everything the game had to offer.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The only way for you to be more monstrous is if you said "I really think that Invisible War is the best Deus Ex game. Totally underrated!"

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The sad part about Invisible War was that there was something good there. I remember being pretty shocked by the meta handling of the choices and the effect it had on me. It had me making choices without even really thinking, and then made fun of me for it, for being a mindless robot following the conventions of video games. And then it intentionally rendered my choices pointless and laughed at me again.