main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I get max res 60FPS constantly, and only because I use an HDMI cable over a VGA one or I'd have 144fps locked under vsync. I've never had a crash during the game.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It still has terrible textures and out of the Unreal box designs, even on rigs expensive enough not to framedrop a lot (which is not most people's rigs).

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I like how you've played zero hours on PC but feel comfortable saying this.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Ender, maybe you just don't know it but it's widely acknowledged that PUBG has a lot of performance issues. Are you really gonna debate this?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    solojones likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I know the performance issues. They're not around textures being terrible.

Here's what I've encountered:

* Physics bugs - you'll believe a Dacia can fly
    * Sounds - the C-130 that flies you in, or drops off "care packages", will sometimes be utterly silent.
    * the urban camo parka can clip weapons in ADS
    * Parachute getting stuck on weird places

But the loading issues etc? I run it on SSD, so I don't encounter the problems. Turns out running it on a top end machine means you only tend to encounter a few coding issues and not most of the bugs that arise from the lower end of the gaming spectrum running it. I mean, I've played with people on this forum and we've not once had a "game breaking bug".

The reality is you don't even see that many Chinese hackers anymore. The reputation of the game is basically playing catchup with its patching, in terms of how buggy it is.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I have watched people play countless hours on pretty good PCs, and have seen constant bugs, framedrops, and just a crappy-looking game in general.

What I'm saying is, it's fun but the absolute last game that any PC Master Race people should be using as an example.

Especially when God of War looks and runs gorgeously on a regular PS4.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I just finished the main story in God of War, and that ending...

I wasn't expecting Atreus to be Loki, even though I probably should have figured that out given that he's responsible for breaking Baldur's enchantment. Still, that was a damn good reveal. The final act sets the table for the the Norse Mythology saga to go to some pretty intense places.

And that final shot before cutting to credits...

[​IMG]

I never used to be fond of this franchise, but boy am I hyped for God of War 5.

I've still got a ton of side stuff to finish too. I think there's a good ten hours of content before I score the platinum trophy.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I finished A Case of Distrust and my thoughts on the game are almost entirely negative. The characters were all stock and even the main character, who as a female private detective in the 1920s, could have been really interesting was really flat, mainly due, I think, to how stilted the writing was. Which brings me to my next point which is that there is way, way too much reading in this game. I get that it's a story-driven point and click game, but even by the standards of the genre, this game was just way, way too wordy.

And then things took a real turn for the worst at the end when I got things out of order and utterly broke the game. I had found the last piece of evidence to give the killer the needed opportunity to commit the murder, but when I accused the killer I realized that I was supposed ask about that piece of evidence first, so that the killer could slip up and admit to knowing about it so that when I then accused her, she would try to lie and I could catch her at it because of what she had said earlier. Once I accused her, she wouldn't respond to that piece of evidence anymore, so I ended up with all the pieces of evidence to prove who the killer was, but I was unable to prove it because I had asked two questions out of order.

I wouldn't have minded that so much if the game had given me a losing ending, a kind of "yes, it looked like the killer had gotten away with it" kind of ending or something. But get this. THE GAME NEVER TOLD ME THAT IT HAD BECOME UNWINNABLE. I cheated and looked online and realized that the game was unwinnable, but if I hadn't, I could have conceivably just wandered in circles for hours trying to figure out how to win a game that wasn't winnable. If a game is story driven, I really think it should be obligated to give you a "bad" ending if a you screw it up, not just leave you floating in this never-ending hell where you could spend the rest of your life wandering around asking questions and never figure out that the game was incapable of being finished. I consider that to be a broken game, not just an unwinnable game.

Also, no save points. So, the only way to back up and try to actually win at this point is to erase the WHOLE SAVE FILE and start over at the beginning. I briefly considered doing it, because I'm anal about these things and because it would be only an hour or so to click quickly through the game now that I knew everything. But I decided screw it, because the game isn't really fun; there are no fun mechanics or anything. So, yeah, I'm finished.

I have no idea why this game has been getting such good reviews. It's got almost 8 out of 10 on Metacritic and I've seen 9 & 10 reviews out there. Even without the problematic lack of an ending, there's basically nothing to it. Kind of interesting visuals, poor writing, unmemorable story, uninteresting characters . . . and that's all BEFORE you figure out that the game is essentially broken when it comes to its ending. And at fourteen dollars, it's super-overpriced, again, even before the game ***** you at the end. I doubt that anybody in this thread was seriously considering picking this one up; it just kind of plays right to my wheelhouse - a well-reviewed, point-and-click story-driven mystery. But if you were considering it, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT. I really feel like I got burned on this one and this one gets a serious thumbs down. And when I'm this negative on a game that only lasts about three hours, you know it's bad; because how good does a game really need to be to be worth three hours? A lot better than this one.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I finished God of War. It truly is an absolute masterpiece. I kind of want to play it again, although I'm hoping they'll release a New Game Plus mode like they wanted to.

Seriously, this game is so good it makes me wish places still rented Playstations so I could recommend people rent one to play the game. Because wow.

As for that ending...

I also didn't see Atraeus being Loki at all. I did wonder at times where Loki was, but it passed because I was so invested in all the other characters and wonderful stories.

Finally, I have to say that the Blades of Chaos reveal sequence was WOW. Just wow. One of the most memorable moments in recent gaming. Chills. Bear McCreary is the man.

So yeah it was unbelievable.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Fortnite’s Dancing, Trolling Thanos Gets Inserted Into Marvel Movie Scenes
    [​IMG]

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    lol Fortnite

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I gave that Thanos mode a go. I was the last one standing against him and I won. I couldn’t believe it!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    so Pillars of Eternity 2 came out and I've been doing that.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've been wanting to pick up a serious horror game for a while now. Detention was a horror game, but it wasn't really particularly scary, just disturbing. Anyway, the release of Outlast II inspired me to just jump into that iconic series and I picked up Outlast Trinity, which has the original game, the Whistleblower DLC & the new game.

Man, Outlast just looks super beautiful (you know, in a way [face_worried] ). Really great graphics. I've seen snippets of the game on YouTube before and I'm just right now getting to the end of the stuff I've seen on YouTube. Has anybody in here played Outlast? I know it's supposed to be a six or seven hour game, but I'm going really slowly I think. I played for about forty-five minutes last night and only got to

the "priest" turning off the generator

Something makes me think that I'm taking this about half the speed of a regular player. If anybody in here has played Outlast, at approximately what time did you reach that moment? If you remember, of course. Anyway, I think I'm going to enjoy this. You know, if I can actually build up the courage to not just stay in a crouch the entire game. [face_shhh]

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Someone help me i have pillars of eternity sea shanties stuck in my head.

17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm playing this online backgammon game for ios and android lately that is "free to play". It has an in-game currency that you bet for each game, and of course you can buy more for real money if you run out. I haven't done that, but the way the game manipulates you to get you to do that is pretty icky. Even so, it has me hooked. Gotta earn those shiny coins! I have never gambled in real life, and the way I immediately get obsessed with trying to recoup my losses when I lose this fake currency in the game tells me that I should probably never start either. I don't seem to have the impulse control for it.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Anyone tried Conan Exiles on PC?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    How is it different than driving wheels you already own? I don't know anything about racing games so I'm genuinely curious.

So I've done most of the Warmind stuff I can possibly do for Destiny 2... Because it's impossible to level up enough to do Escalation Protocol or the Raid Lair. Ugh. I know my friends want me to, but I'm not sure I'll continue into year 2. Especially now that I am playing ESO for my MMO fix.

Mostly I want to convince my brother to play Divinity 2 when it comes to PS4. Heard the co-op was great.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The only difference is I heart McLaren.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I kinda figured.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I got a WWCD in the war mode, @PointGiven. Getting up to 10 kills per match too. But nothing surpassed when we landed on a mountain and sniped fools. :D

Point Given likes this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Has anyone played the Yakuza games? I got Kiwami and want to play it, but I've heard you should start with Yakuza 0. Wanted to know if anoyne here had thoughts.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Short answer: You can start with pretty much any game in the series since they're good about recaps and Kiwami, being a remake of the first game, is probably as good a starting point as any (certainly better than the game it's a remake of).

Long answer: While 0 and Kiwami are the best possible starting points currently available, 0 usually takes the edge in folks' recommendations for several reasons:
    1. As a prequel, everything starts from the theoretical ground floor, and if you don't know who has to show up in the other games you're more likely to be kept guessing by the various twists and turns the plot takes.
    2. It's generally more fleshed out than Kiwami, which is, for better or worse, a pretty faithful update of the original game. Consequently 0 captures the broader scope and more comedic spirit the series takes on as it progresses better than Kiwami can, or does (indeed, it's often said that Kiwami feels "dry").
    3. Because Kiwami is a remake they made using the 0 engine, they decided to include some content in K that is explicitly sequel content to stuff in 0.
    4. Frankly, a lot more people in the west jumped in at 0 than they ever have at any other point in the franchise and they're biased.
    I honestly don't think you'd regret starting with K, but if you want to get 0 you can't go wrong there, either, they're both great.

Also the mahjong in both is basically the same so, really, are they even different games? No, they are functionally identical mahjong simulators.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Chewgumma likes this.