main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Was just reminded via twitter that yesterday was the five year anniversray of Microsoft's disastrous Xbox One reveal presentation.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    On the subject of Yakuza, I was a mad man and started my love affair with the franchise with Yakuza 5.

Without catching up on what happened beforehand.

It was utterly impenetrable, totally crazy, and it's an experience that I'll never have again in my life. I loved it.

And with the announcement that 3, 4 and 5 are all getting remasters on the PS4, there's no better time to leap on the Yakuza train. You'll be able to play the entire Kiryu saga on the same system! The thought just boggles my mind.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nothing can beat "RRRRIDGE RACER!" and "GIANT ENEMY CRAB."

Chewgumma and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Thaks for the advice friends. I think I will start with Yakuza 0 just because they did add plotlines from it to Kiwami. And yeah I'm stoked about all the remasters.

Basically what happened was, I played the demo for Yakuza 6 and absolutely loved it. The Shenmue games are some of my all time favorites, and I never realized the Yakuza games were pretty similar actually. So now I'm excited to play.

Thanks for the input.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    TotalBiscuit has passed away after battling cancer for a few years. Genuinely sad about this....I've been a huge fan of his channel and content for many years now. Rest in peace.

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Didn't like the guy one bit, but cancer is a bitch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Day of the Tentacle (Remastered) is 70% off on Steam until May 30.

[​IMG]

https://mixnmojo.com/features/reviews/Day-of-the-Tentacle-Remastered

blackmyron likes this.
  9. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay so PUBG Corp is suing Epic Games for "copying" PUBG with Fortnite

Hell. No.

No no no. If you have any love for games, you should be vehemently agait this. The case has the potential to set a terrible precident that could forbid any games from doing anything another game has done.... Aka destroying pretty much all gaming innovation.

I don't care which game you like, or if like me you have no preference and don't play either. If I played PUBG, I'd boycott. I'm definitely never buying it now. I will encourage my favorite streamers to stop streaming it, even though I love their streams.

This is disgusting and dangerous for the whole games industry. All because PUBG Corp are sore losers? Shame on them.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's precedent to suggest they're going to lose, c.r. Capcom v. DEC re: Fighter's History on grounds of scènes à faire, Capcom v. Koei Tecmo re: DLC on grounds of "lmao," presumably some third precedent involving Capcom since they seem trigger-happy.

It's a **** move on PUBG Corp's part, but luckily Epic is the one company they could theoretically target that can easily weather the legal fee storm.

Edit: No I don't know why I know those off the top of my head, but I blame Jeff Gerstmann.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I mean I expect that Epic will be able to fight it legally. And I really hope they have some loophole to countersue or to pull PUBG's access to Unreal. They probably can't because of contracts, but I would love to see this backfire.

I just think the reckless, idiotic selfishness PUBG Corp is showing over being still very successful but not as big as Fortnite is utterly ridiculous.

Like I said, I adored Eurogamer and their PUBG streams. But I don't want to support anything about that game or company anymore. What ****y people.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Why is it specifically against Epic Games Korea?

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Because that's where PUBG Corp is based.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Isn't PUBG just a Team Fortress ripoff anyway?

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It'd be amusing to me if Epic revoked PUBG's Unreal license.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They're apparently claiming UI and weapons design theft, rather than general conceptual theft (which is usually an IP law dead-end in these cases, from what I understand).

It's... an uphill argument. Again, I think the fact that Capcom lost similar arguments about Fighter's History in both the US and Japan tells us how this is going to go, unless Korean copyright law is really crazy.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The reality is Fortnite's Battle Royale Mode is 100% a clone of PUBG, and because it's free it's harming PUBG market share. Yes, it's more for casuals, but we're not just talking the concept of a battle royale. We're talking things like you start by flying over the zone and parachuting in. We're talking about the same interface when you drink energy drinks or heal. We're talking about the things that make it clear Fortnite is copying PUBG to PUBG's detriment.

SWTOR was a WoW clone, but it was never a threat to WoW because it wasn't trying to out-WoW WoW. There's an argument for familiarity there, just like Saint's Row or Just Cause or Watch_Dogs aren't ripping GTA off note for note. This is not that. Fortnite is "that's a great idea, let's steal it."

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So should H1Z1 sue PUBG for wholesale copying their mode and damaging H1Z1? PUBG is suing for a format they didn't even invent.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Um. Yeah so...

Brendan Greene, better known as Playerunknown, developed the Battle Royale mod for ARMA II, then ARMA III via the Day Z mod. He was then hired by Sony Online Entertainment to consult on H1Z1, as SOE had licenced the battle royale idea from him. He made PUBG with BlueHole as a way of having creative direction over it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayerUnknown's_Battlegrounds#Development

"When DayZ became its own standalone title, interest in his ARMA 2 version of the Battle Royale mod trailed off, and Greene transitioned development of the mod to ARMA 3.[11] Sony Online Entertainment (now the Daybreak Game Company) had become interested in Greene's work, and brought him on as a consultant to develop on H1Z1, licensing the battle royale idea from him.[11] In February 2016, Sony Online split H1Z1 into two separate games, the survival mode H1Z1: Just Survive, and the battle royale-like H1Z1: King of the Kill, around the same time that Greene's consultation period was over....
    Around the same time that Greene left Sony Online, Kim contacted and offered him the opportunity to work on a new battle royale concept...."

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Uh I know Brendan Greene created both. But taking something you created for one company then ripping off that property of another company for your own profit is typically called corporate espionage. Something Greene has always been guilty of, but which the games industry was willing to live with as long as everyone just agreed that everyone in the games industry takes features from other games. It's just how progress in games works and how games get better.

Now he's opening up the floodgates. For H1Z1 to sue PUBG, for Wolfenstein to sue all FPS games, for Gears to sue anyone using regenerative health, etc.

This is exactly why this lawsuit is such a **** move and so selfish. It is short-sighted. It doesn't take into account the possible ramificiations. It's all about PUBG being sad they are #2 because of poor business and design decisions (Microsoft exclusivity and poor QA). But taking that out in the most harmful way possible for the industry.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Again, though, no it's not. They've sued other companies in the past for ripping things off directly which were unique to PUBG. What seems to be driving this is that the Unreal engine underpins both, but Epic own Fortnite and could withhold upgrades to PUBG in future. Basically, Epic not only cloned his concept in a way that you can't say isn't unfairly derivative, and then use their competitive advantage to squeeze PUBG aside. Basically letting PUBG do all the work and Fortnite collect all the rewards.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So you're just going to completely ignore that the creator of PUBG stole the premise and gameplay for it from a previous company. Cool.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He didn't, though. The battle royale stuff started with him. What I'm not ok with is the idea that a company could create a commercially available open source engine, then "develop" something off that engine that completely steals from someone else's work and then might withhold engine upgrades because of a vested conflict of interest.

I mean, consider this - Greene does the hard work in defining the concept. The game costs to play. Fortnite lifts the concept wholesale, makes it free, and makes money off microtrans on weapon skins. That cuts into PUBG's market share, and since Fortnite is Epic and Epic is Unreal Engine, they can just basically steal any IP they want and hold it hostage if they use the engine.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    IANAL, but as I understand it (and unfortunately for PUBG), you can't claim copyright over ideas, only the specific expression of those ideas.And since 'Battle Royale' already existed, they can't claim to have originated the entire concept of island death matches anyway. Therefore they haven't stolen 'intellectual property' because no protectable IP exists. Most tech cases are about patent infringement rather than copyright, I would assume for this reason. So if they copied art assets, or perhaps at a stretch UI layouts, they might have a case. But not 'we had a battle royale shooter then you made a better one'. Should ID Software been able to sue Valve for making Half-Life and refining 'alien invasion of earth 3D shooter' concept? Once Greene let it out of the box, the idea is open to reinterpretation.

Now, if Epic are using the threat of withdrawing access to the engine to pressure PUBG that's probably a different tort. And morally it's reasonable to have an issue with Epic's actions given their position of power.

Darth_Invidious and solojones like this.