main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    ...which, on that basis, I find it strange that Payne and DX evaded the OFLC policy.

Examples with the above criteria applied:

Max Payne - pain killers. Yes, they are products you can buy off the shelf at your local supermarket but it is nevertheless medication and, for those who have played, the pain killers are used in copious quantities to make the task of killing and surviving easier. The description above applies to "drug" without specificity to prescribed or illicit drugs.

DX - drug dealing for information. I can't find a clip on YouTube but I am positive that I gave someone a vial of zyme (which is basically heroin in the Deux Ex universe) in exchange for information. For memory, I think it was a homeless guy in a subway. No, I didn't use the drug but the person who asked for the drug was a clear addict and I obtained the incentive of information for giving him the drug.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    good lawyering there, trying to retrospectively apply the games classification guidelines from 2012 to games from 2000...

The view of the Classification Board for We Happy Few is worth noting here:

"In the Board’s opinion, the game’s drug-use mechanism of making game progression less difficult, constituted an incentive or reward for drug-use. Therefore, the game exceeded the R 18+ classification because of the drug use related to incentives and rewards. The Games Guidelines state that, Computer games that exceed the R 18+ classification category will be Refused Classification. If the Games Guidelines did not contain this restriction in its current form, then We Happy Few would have received an MA 15+ classification."

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Yyyyesss.....but MP was reissued as an HD makeover to the iPad not so long ago, thus effectively a "new" title in the eyes of the law.

And Max Payne 3 was released in 2012...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I actually would definitely be worried about Cyberpunk being banned in Australia. Look at what happened to We Happy Few, which is banned for incentivizing drug use... Even though it's an entire game about how creepy a society based on forced drug use is.

Australia is at peak censorship right now for games. I pity all Aussie videogames fans.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    ...nope. Don't buy it.

Seriously, Far Cry 3!

It's fine.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    They forced Fallout to change morphine to "Med-X", but had no problem, apparently, with placing shock collars on little kids and selling them into slavery.

My personal favorite will always be making Left 4 Dead 2 change the zombie police officers into zombie "private security" because shooting a walking corpse with a police uniform is subversive and wrong.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hasn't that been the case for the last decade or so? Just basing this off of old Yahtzee reviews (I'm going through his archives on Escapist in my free time) from around that time period.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Terrible internet and nanny state supervision. It's gr8 m8.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So for background on this - and it's very British, like a good colony - our prescription here comes from having a very empowered state that tends towards one size fits all. I'm not expecting people here to be familiar with Australian film, but I mean it feels like every film is a gritty, bleak urban drama about one person's **** life... because it kinda is.

Film scripts are approved based on the script ticking boxes on a checklist; and games are classified or refused classification again, based on a checklist.

GTA V has trips all over Los Santos, but they are clearly detrimental and slightly annoying to deal with. They're also not material. Hence they passed.

We Happy Few makes drug taking central to progress, even though it's part of a social commentary and also the ****ing Prisoner, but it can't get classified.

It's messed up.

Also to @solojones point, I forgot to also add Steam prices bull**** to the list.

blackmyron and solojones like this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes it's been that way for a while. In Europe, Germany has the most game censorship, but it's usually about violence (making them change humans to robots and blood to oil). But yeah Australia has a weird thing about drugs.

I highly recommend people check out the YouTube channel CensoredGaming. They go through this stuff.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I will definitely check out that channel. Stupid censorship being gone through in detail really fascinates me.

solojones likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    @Ramza I know you're into this stuff as much as I am. Correction, more than I am. Did you see this?

That Yakuza + Fist of the North Star thing just got a western release date!

Ramza likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes I did:
    Needless to say I'm pretty much Day One unless there are horror story reviews.

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    This is what I get for not learning to read through threads thoroughly, or learning the true titles of animes (I'm one of the filthy casuals that only recognises the Western titles.)

But still, glad to know there's someone else that's completely hyped for this.

Ramza likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    HnK is actually one of the few series where I use the Japanese name and it’s mostly because there’s a large European contingent of the fan base who all had their own names for it so everyone settled on the romanization as the common one.

Well, unless it’s supposed to be Hokuto Shinken, but that’s largely down to what day of the week you ask Buronsen about it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Chewgumma likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Celeste is hard as **** by the way. I'm still in the first third of level one (of eight) and I've died 471 times. Loads of fun and I'm trying, as the game's creators have asked, to get as far as I possibly can without putting on assist mode, but I played forty-five minutes tonight and cleared five screens. FIVE. The game's story hasn't cohered much, but like I said, I'm still super early in the game. If I wash out at some point, I'll watch a playthrough or something.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    OH MY GOD. I just finished chapter one of Celeste and it was really satisfying, but then I started in chapter two and I thought I was just going to play around for a couple of minutes and then come back later. AND I AM NOW TOTALLY INTO THIS GAME AGAIN! They introduced this new mechanic that is so cool; the first time I did it, my jaw literally dropped and now I'm just bouncing around this little area doing it over and over because it's so cool. It's really great, because just like the character I finished chapter one and I was pretty exhausted and kind of tired of the game. But then she rests for a night and by changing the aesthetic of the game (and making a really cool change to the music) and adding this new mechanic I feel just as energized as she does after her night's rest. As I was struggling at the end of chapter one, I was kind of like, "Well, this'll be fun to play a little longer and then watch a playthrough on YouTube." How do I feel now? MOUNT CELESTE IS MY BITCH! SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT BITCHES KEEP UP OR GET WRECKED YAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!!

[​IMG]

This game is great.

What the **** was with that mirror tho? Nobody told me this was a horror game.

solojones and Chewgumma like this.
  18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

It's that time of year again!

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hasn't been any good since they got rid of flash sales. Other sellers often beat their prices (e.g., GMG).

Point Given and Chewgumma like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of sales, I really want to know who GOG was trying to appeal to with their "We've finally got Escape from Monkey Island!" promotion. Like if I'm buying Monkey Island games (and I own the other four, even Tales because I hate myself I guess) I'm not exactly clamoring for that one.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Mid-chapter twist in Celeste Chapter Two! Great game design: plot development and new game mechanic at the exact same time. That's some good game design. I just met the "concerned observer." No spoilers, but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_beatup]

This game has truly ignited a childlike wonder in me. I would definitely encourage people to pick it up. I know its cutesy aesthetic is immediately offputting to some people; it was to me. But I made myself give it a shot because of the extremely positive response and I'm glad I did. It's currently sitting at a 94 on Metacritic, tied with God of War for highest scoring game of the year. It's just a delight.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've had it on my wishlist since basically when it came out. I'll get around to it one day. :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Damn. No love for Tales? I thought it was one of the last good Telltale games.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The writing’s fine but I really don’t like the way it plays. I’ve never gone through it a second time.

Now, admittedly, by even finishing it I implicitly assert its vast superiority to Escape.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I got to the glorious part so I think I know what you mean. Sadly, it was semi spoiled by a small clip I saw of Conan and Bill Hader playing GoW. The clip is humorous and their commentary reminds be a lot of Super Best Friends Play channel on Youtube.