main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Now I'm just imagining Conan quoting a bunch of OSW Review jokes while Bill Hader keeps saying one thing is totally about to happen, he read about this, he knows the lore, and then the exact opposite thing happens.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    If you're an Xbox owner who hasn't had the chance to play Nier: Automata, the port for the XBOX One is finally out.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Then go back to the PS2 and play Drakengard you cowards!!!1!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I finally had to turn on Assist Mode on Celeste to get past the final challenge screen of Chapter Two. There was more story related scenes after that, but it was the last screen that required challenging platforming. I like the Assist Mode here. It's prefaced with material about how the game isn't going to judge you if you need to use it now and then. And you're able to, as I did, use it to get past one particular section and then turn it right off and go on in Normal Mode until you need it again. I've gotten a bit into Chapter Three and haven't turned it on again. I don't really feel bad about using it when I did. That little level was the longest section in the game so far with no checkpoints and I never got past two-thirds of the way through it without dying. I worked on it for forty-five minutes and then did Assist Mode. Very helpful and I like the way the game handles it. We'll see how it goes as I progress on into Chapter Three.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Just saw today that iconic actress Linda Hunt was injured in a car accident on Monday. Word on her condition isn't forthcoming and she's in her seventies, so that's scary news. But the weirdest part is that I saw that headline today. And today I also dragged out my PS2 and fired up the original God of War, just for fun . . . and I had totally forgotten that Linda Hunt was the narrator on all of those games. Well, the first six anyway, which is everything excluding the new one from this year. Anyway, best wishes, I hope she's okay and it'll be interesting to play through this game now. Still need to get some memory cards, but I'm excited to get into this game, which I never really played back in the old days.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I got ArmA 3 on sale on Steam and my god why did I wait this long? I played 3hrs of a coop campaign where we were literally just going from the airport, which on this server was an ADF outpost, and being ferried to the front which was various CSAT bases and embedded locations. There were even a few FOBs in the mix. And to cap it all off, lots of laconic Australians asking if any medic ****s can come raise this silly **** who got himself a bit shot up. Ideally a MEDEVAC, but CASEVAC if you have to.

I drove someone about 6kms back to base in a stolen ute just to get them to a medic after our squad went for a secondary objective. THere's 100 people there, and just 8 of us in Foxtrot and rather than "respawn" we stabilised and took the player back to base.

I don't know why I waited this long. PUBG style lethality with a depth coop Insurgency couldn't offer? Sorted.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm playing through all 10 Assassins Creed games in anticipation for AC: Odyssey. This time, I'm going near-to-full completionist which means doing all the side quests available, and discovering all viewpoints. Anything like "find all feathers" or "find all flags"....well....**** that. Just finished II last night, and onto Brotherhood.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This is almost more of a condemnation because yeah code is hard, blah blah blah, lord knows I know that, but this should've been an obvious Q&A issue or a quick patch. Instead they got defensive and now the head of the company contends there's a vast, multi-outlet conspiracy against him despite this not even being the only crappy game they put out.

Also, as a few commenters correctly note, this would've made A:CM merely a forgettable, bland nothing (especially with the Sim City debacle that same year) rather than, like, a good game.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow, and I was just hoping to get through Rogue remastered before then. Well done. I still haven't had time to replay the Ezio trilogy.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I thought I was the only person to do crazy things like this. I dragged out my PS2 and finally tracked down some memory cards to play God of War (original 2005 version) because I'm thinking I might play through the entire series before I play the new one. But I'm not going to go full completion or anything; I mainly just want the experience of the story.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, I did mention I've had a Dreamcast in my living room for years just for Shenmue replays, right?

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    God of War - end game spoilers
    So on Sunday, July 15, I finally defeated Sigrun. What a pain in the *** she was. But it was worth it to get that final tidbit about Freya.

So I've been going back and trying to get 100% in all the areas. I'm missing one Normir chest somewhere, about 12 ravens, and random artifacts. There is a block in my home area that says undiscovered and I was trying to figure out what that was, but I haven't found it. Yes, I did go to sleep so not sure what I'm missing in that area.

I'm definitely having fun exploring. I did close all the realm tears and I think I just have 2 or 3 chests to open in the poison realm so I do need to get more mist echoes at some point. I also didn't do the hardest challenge in the lava realm so I guess I still have that too, but I was just working on the percentage complete for the time being to unlock the trophies. Atreus lines to himself "are we lost" or "what are we still doing here" are starting to get a little annoying.

I want more story and I don't want to wait until the next installment. Any chance we'll get some DLC?

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    So I'm about three and a half hours into the original PS2 God of War. And it is so much fun. My God, it's good. The combos and the special moves are so satisfying. I just got past the bit when you first get the Zeus powers, so you can fling lightning. It's the first ranged attack you get in the game and it is. so. much. fun. This is a great game.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Erm, QA or QC I think you mean, not Q&A.

You're not the only pedant on this forum Ramza!

17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just finished the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot...wow. It's been ages since I played a TR title...this one was better than the entire Unchartered series.

Welcome back, Lara.

Getting the sequel right now.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, my PS2 disc version of the original God of War hit a point where it wouldn't save anymore, so I had to abandon the use of the original PS2 console, which I was doing for nostalgia or whatever. So I'm playing it now on PlayStation Now. It does look a lot better. I am dependent on no one else in the house using the bandwidth while I'm playing, so I'm grabbing little bits of it when I can.

I had gotten past the Sirens when the game stopped saving and so, yes, I did have to start over, but this game is so much fun I don't even really mind. I'm going faster than I was before and I'm using more special moves which makes the game even more satisfying. This really is a great game.

TiniTinyTony and heels1785 like this.
  19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm pretty excited to play it again - watching a stream now, and it looks much better than what I remember.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The fickleness of the internet never ceases to amaze. Once upon a time everyone wanted Sean Murray's head (figuratively or literally) for delivering what seemed to be an alpha build of a game as a finished product and blatantly lying to people's faces. And now the streamers and gaming youtubers of the world are ecstatic about him and this "re-release", as if whatever happened before was forgiven or forgotten. Today's gaming media and *cough cough* "content creators" are a bit of a joke tbh.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    While I'm not exactly a great proponent of the consumer press (or consumers, frankly, and you've completely let them off the hook for no reason considering the role pre-orders played here) the roadwork for this is completely precedented. This is not a new systemic issue.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Darth_Invidious and heels1785 like this.
  23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Nope, absolutely not letting consumers off the hook here. I'm a firm believer of caveat emptor. So if you climb aboard a certain hype train that then leaves you stranded in the middle of ******* nowhere or, say, the empty center of a galaxy, well, sucks to be you etc.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's really just a full-on condemnation of the entire process - Sony markets the thing as if it's not just some small indie project they bought a timed exclusivity window for (and, frankly, in my darker speculations I can totally see them telling Murray to be evasive when answering questions about the game to keep it "mysterious," although on the other hand indie devs also just kind of suck at articulating what their game is half the time (see endless WHAT IS FIREWATCH? jokes)), the enthusiast press and YouTubers uncritically regurgitate said hype, the gamers preorder en masse based on said evasive hype (and some buying their own BS, "omg the last game I'll ever need!!!!1!"), the game comes out, most people don't like it, then they harass the devs (for the ultimate crime of effective marketing separating you from $60, the worst thing that can ever be done ever, ever), then they fix the game, then they super fix the game, and then no one stops and thinks "Oh god the only reason this turned into a game I like is because of mass funding inextricably tied to the original release cycle, we are all trapped, trapped like rats, we cannot get out, we cannot get out, WE CANNOT GET OUT" and tl;dr somedays I wish I had the guts to just move to the woods and die of exposure.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just finished Firewatch, and recently beat Rise of the Tomb Raider a couple of weeks ago.

I enjoyed Firewatch, though I got it for only $5 on a Steam sale a long time ago. I figure if I'd got it full price at release I would've been disappointed. That being said it managed to be both relaxing and ominous at the same time. I do wish there were more hiking trails to just walk around in, but I actually liked the ending where you
    don't meet Delilah. They were like two ships passing in the night, and I appreciated that there was no furthering of a relationship.
    I also liked that
    there was no major conspiracy, just a man who royally ****ed up and tried to cover it up

Loved Rise of the Tomb Raider; the story wasn't as good as the 2013 reboot, but the gameplay and the level design were superb. Also it was flat out gorgeous; absolutely stunning. Did the Blood Ties DLC, tried the Lara's Nightmare one but it's really hard and honestly a little scary. Same with Cold Darkness.