main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

F.A.D.A. HQ v 2.0 - Bigger, Better, and More Not Dead.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JediMasterAaron, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    salutatem do.

Way back when people tried to organize to write the entire SW EU with the concept that Darth Vader lived.

Never went anywhere.

Valete.

2. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    Fun sucker.[face_talk_hand]:p

3. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    salutatem do.

Hey, I was only trying to state facts.
    I actually signed up for the Vader EU.
    and then there were these bunch of guys writing bug huggers or AU NJO.
    I'm pretty sure their Anakin didn't die.
    Except they were pretty exclusive, and did not allow me to join.
    So I'm pretty bummed about that.

Vale.

4. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    Hey, I was just poking fun at you. Don't take anything I say personally or seriously. ;)

F.A.D.A FTW!!

~Felf

5. The_Slilent_One

The_Slilent_One Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    now now children, play nice :p ...sorry i couldn't resist [face_laugh]

As i've said earlier i'm all for the project [face_dancing] , the problem is organization and logistics [face_thinking] .. and the ever present danger posed by our old nemesis Darth Real Life.. [face_skull]

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    You have to decide first if you would like the project to be exclusive or not.
    Whether to accept new members just like that, or very very exclusive with dedicated, set membership, or whether there would be probational periods involved for new writers, etc.

Far too many times I have seen project die without even being launched.

P.S.
    As for the bughugger AU, I think they actually carried it out pretty well, wrote at least a complete book, but eventually they went on hiatus because no one of their six members team could write anymore? Or some other very very mysterious and exclusive reason.... which schmos like me would never find out.

FYI I think they got the wrong impression of me when I suggested mindslaves.

7. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Relating to that "Anakin is Alive" AU EU rewrite has any movement been made there?

Another thing to consider:
    Is this an dedicated set of shared fics (i.e. each fic written by a group) or just a new EU Bible where people can plug new stories into the AU architecture

Personally, I'd rather have basically a new EU architecture where we can allow anyone to write stories in this shared AU. Additionally, any new creations would be added to the AU Bible. Which means that other writers could utilize them for their own stories/purposes.

This would also mean we would need to have some type of editorial council (two/three folks who get to say yea/nay to plot outlines for new stories being added to the AU, maybe with revolving membership) kind of like how Sue over at LFL does for current EU. We'd also need someone to basically be Pablo in order to set things in the right spot of the timeline, and be able to explain plot contradictions

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    That sounds pretty cool [face_thinking]

9. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Thanks!

So, do we have any additional ideas/concepts?

10. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    At this point, I think you have the right idea. There would have to be some sort of AU bible and someone or several someones who decide whether additional stories work within the established continuity of the AU [face_thinking]

11. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    *pokes thread* anyone else has any ideas related to this?

12. The_Slilent_One

Sep 19, 2004
    sounds like a good idea

well the first thing to be debated is how far back in the current time line does the new architecture branch off in to an AU.

what parts of the current EU is kept and/or perpetuated and what will be discarded. ie. if the AU branches out right after RoTJ, will Leia have three children named Jaina, Jacen, Anakin or will there be characters named Tahiri, Zek, Jag etc and will their basic characteristics/personality be kept as per the current EU or replaced completely?

thoughts?

13. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    I only just now clued in to the fact that this thread is about Anakin SOLO. Not Skywalker. :oops:

14. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Ah, Hi.
    I'm kind of new, and I was wondering how I become a member of F.A.D.A?

x

15. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    I guess that basically becomes a question of if one wants the EU as a whole, or just chop of the Vong, or what. The original post about the idea, had the fulcrum being SbS, but I could see the argument for dropping all of the NJO and later stuff...[face_thinking]

16. The_Slilent_One

Sep 19, 2004
    Kidan:

well i personally didn't mind the vong themselves.. i thought their introduction was a good thing, a sort of third element to the usual Republic/Imperial dynamic... it was the execution of the story and the butchering of the SW universe and/or characters in the process that i found annoying.

Perhaps before deciding on what to remove we should figure out what (characters, plots, settings and concepts) we love about the EU as it stands and then design the story architecture around that.

thoughts?

--------------------------------

tahiriveilax:

As far as i know there is no membership process. anyone can claim membership of FADA :)

welcome to our motley crew [face_dancing]

17. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Okay cool :) thanks [face_peace]

18. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Actually, that follows my personal proclivities towards the Vong and the NJO in general as well. Especially since at the end of the Bantam era, the NR/Imperials were at peace.

While there were some things in the Bantam era that I found.... amusing *cough*Waru*cough* they were not as depressing as the NJO as a whole. I'd want to keep pretty much broad strokes of Bantam stuff, and I wouldn't mind the broad plots of the NJO as well. [face_thinking]

Ultimately, I wouldn't mind just picking a point in the NJO timeframe and reboot from there.

19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Star by Star? [face_mischief]

20. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    The Vong's whole "Embrace the Pain" thing was really annoying, like for fun they would hurt themselves was really odd. And they were ugly as hell.
    And their meaning for peace is literally "willing and appropriate submission from conquered to conqueror."
    Ah well, its their culture.

21. The_Slilent_One

Sep 19, 2004
    While there were some things in the Bantam era that I found.... amusing *cough*Waru*cough*

lol yea Waru was one of the more... interesting brain farts to come out of the Bantam era [face_clown]

As for when in the NJO is a good time for a reboot? perhaps just before or just after chewies death? At that point the vong a threat and as an idea have taken root but not yet overly discussed and detailed. Furthermore at that point the changes to the personalities of the main characters and the galaxy as a whole hasn't been messed with too much yet.

------

The Vong's whole "Embrace the Pain" thing was really annoying, like for fun they would hurt themselves was really odd. And they were ugly as hell.

The embrace of pain idea is not really that much of a stretch if u think about it. While not quite as extreme as the Vong portrayed in the NJO, there have been many human groups/civilizations in real life that have practiced similar types of behavior either as a right of passage or as part of religious ceremonies.

That said the authors of the NJO really did use the idea to death [face_monkey]

And their meaning for peace is literally "willing and appropriate submission from conquered to conqueror."

lol true but then not that far from the mindset of Imperial Rome.

22. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah, well it was said that most of the inspiration for the Yuuzhan Vong was from the Aztecs.

23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    To me the Vong just seemed like all the most violent/absurd ideas the writers could take from other cultures, real or fictional. (Romans/Aztecs/Klingons :p)

24. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Well, they killed Anakin Solo. That was the most absurd thing they ever did :(

25. The_Slilent_One

Sep 19, 2004
    Well, they killed Anakin Solo. That was the most absurd thing they ever did

truer words have not been said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.