main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Fabric Finds!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Benae_Quee, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I love my Jo-Anns, but usually obscure fabrics or colors require the internets or trips to the LA fabric district.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  2. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Speaking of the LA fabric district, there was a recent find of the accurate Senate Padme flame velvet in polyester there (thanks, KayDee!). I know how impossibly hard to find that stuff is nowadays, so if anyone is desperate for the accurate pattern, I could be convinced to pick up some yardage. It's a medium grey as is, and I'll be attempting to use polyester dyes on it:

[​IMG]

$5/yard, shoot me a convo if you'd like me to quest for it. It's a relatively easy trip for me, especially since I don't work until the afternoon.

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    That wool came in the mail and it was PERFECT!!! Thank you so much!!

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So much fabric this weekend!

[​IMG]

Purple scales for my niece's Halloween costume. She's going as Monster!Boo from Monster's Inc. It's the closest I could find (it's supposed to be like a shiney vinyl), but this is also my young niece who I didn't want to boil inside a super accurate vinyl/leather costume. :p This is cotton so it'll work nice.

[​IMG]

Some beautiful silk and a nice charmeuse for Jabe from Doctor Who. Neither is perfectly accurate, but I don't fancy hand-embroidering an entire gown for Jabe, and the Charmeause was only $4 a yard, so I think they'll work nicely.

[​IMG]

And finally, a nice Poly/cotton/spandex blend for my friend's Captain Eo. I'm pretty sure the actual jacket was some kind of Poly/vinyl unbreathable synthetic material, but he'd like to not overheat in it. It's got a good sheen, and was a nice price! I'm excited to finally start this costume.

mavjade likes this.