main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Richmond,VA Fabric shops

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by StrangeWings, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangeWings

StrangeWings Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Can anyone recommend a good fabric shop around richmond that has a good selection of stuff appropriate for a jedi costume?

2. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    My recommendation is to find your fabric online. With the lacking selection at the four fabric stores around town, it is your best bet. [face_frustrated]

I have relied on getting my fabric from family who live out of town to find the best looking fabric.

Try joann fabrics online or do a google search for fabric.

3. Topachea

Topachea Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2005
    No offence Amaunet but????

Getting your fabric online is about the worst thing you could ever do.
    you never know what you are getting or what it feels like

Going to Joann fabrics is about the second worst thing you could do.
    1. They are WAY to expensive
    2. They never have enough of the material

My advice, go to Hancock fabrics there is one at the end of Midlothian tnpk near 288
    They normally have a huge table of $1-3 a yard fabric and they always have enough.
    If you want cheap but nice Jedi robe material go there and just check it every Tuesday.
    It really makes top notch stuff. They also have more expensive material that is even better if you are looking to spend a little more. Me and my friend have never come out of there empty handed. We've made about 3 robes so far and are working on our forth.

Good luck hunting, pm me if you need any other tips

4. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    no offense taken.

Though I still disagree that purchasing fabric online is a terrible thing to do...But I guess that my assumption in doing so is that you have a mild knowledge of fabric and have something in mind.

While hailing from a larger city originally, I find the TINY fabric stores in the area have far TOO LIMITED a selection for the proper outfiting of a jedi costume (or any other costume if you are looking for something close to the look of the original costumes). If someone has found material that they like and have been able to make work for their costumes at a local shop, congrats to them. But I find that the stores in the area never have the raw silk nor the heavy wool suiting that I have used for serveral of my costumes---either because they just dont carry it, they dont carry proper colors, or they just can not stock the amount that I need.

To summerize: if you do not know anything about fabrics, if you do not know what it is that you are looking for, or if you are out to make your own custom jedi costume (more power to you for being different and imaginative :) ) --- then you will want to hit some local fabric shops if for no other reason than to learn about the fabrics. If you know a little about fabric or you have something specific in mind, I would strongly suggest that you consider going to either :gasp: the internet or a larger city with more to offer.

5. Topachea

Topachea Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2005
    yea i agree, if you know what you want and are looking for online is the way. but hancock fabric isn't a bad place, the one on midlo is pretty big and the people are nice. never not found anything there i was looling for there. defly good for getting cheap material to practice with too.

did i mention i like hancock fabrics??:)

ps

amaunet you should post some pictures of your costumes, you sound like your good at it, i woudl love to see some of your robes

T

6. StrangeWings

StrangeWings Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Thanks, I didn't know it was going to cause such a discussion. This will actually be my 3rd attempt at a costume. I keep redoing them because I'm never happy with them. I did one for my daughter last year also. You can see a pic of it here. It's very non-traditional. There are also pics of the mini lightsaber I made for her and the blade for the full sized one for me that I am in the middle of now. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b30e21fea43f&sid=8Rasm7Zm0ZWc Oh..just so there is no confusion Desiree is my wifes name not mine. She usually posts the pics online for the family so thats why her name is at the top.

7. DERTHH_MAWLZ

DERTHH_MAWLZ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    Anyone try checking walmart? They have a large fabric section. Picked up some green and blue fabric there to try some digital video chroma keying for my 5 yo son and I to do some play star wars movies.

Derthh

8. Topachea

Topachea Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2005
    yea checked there. not to much of a selection. and they never have 9yards to make a robe

HANCOCK ON MIDLO ALL THE WAY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.