Facebook Timeline is now semi-forced!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DragonLove76, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    At present, I don't watch anything on YouTube unless linked to it. I used to watch it rather a lot. Several hours a week, probably. At least in part while doing other stuff.
  2. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I very much like the Facebook timeline.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  3. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I like the new layout. Particularly the option of a 'cover image'.
  4. Yodasbadgirl2 Jedi Knight

I really really don't care. ITS FACEBOOK! :p
  5. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Haven't even been bothered with Facebook for a few years now. Too many real people on it.
  6. Yo_Raja Jedi Master

star 4
    You commented on a link on your wall 12 minutes ago. Apparently controversy does increase traffic.
  7. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
  8. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
  9. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't have timeline yet, but I've seen it and hate it. I need my blocky linearity, dangit!
  10. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    That post gave me a headache
  11. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Should I be completely incensed about this?
  12. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I laugh in the face of Timeline! Facebook has it wrong! Time is not a strict progression of cause to effect, it's - from a non-linear, non-subjective, viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  14. Souderwan Chosen One

star 6
    [face_love]
  15. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

Seconded. It's 2 profile images for the price of 1, it's ******* great. Also, I like having the ability to go back to stuff I posted years ago.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  16. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    MySpace.

And Timeline doesn't really change anything. Just adds a cover photo, and makes two colums on your page instead of one, and it's easier to look at your old posts (tho that's always been possible). The other changes have been much bigger.
  17. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
  18. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Doesn't seem to have happened to me yet. Layout changes just tkae getting used to.
    I'm not that bothered by it really, I'm much more annoyed by the side feed on the homepage that lets you see everything anyone does. I know I can get rid of it, but I've changed settings and I can't stop others from seeing much of what I do.
    One friend said they were fed up of seeing everything that I "liked" all the time, but I can't figure out how to stop anyone from seeing that stuff. I don't want to go through every page or group seperately and change the settings or change viewer settings for each of my friends because that is tedious.
  19. Lady_Skywalker87 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not gonna say I like the Timeline...its one of the most unfriendly layout imo, but its not good getting worked up over it. I just wish facebook would give its users the power to choose..I'm more upset that I activated it by accident.
  20. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    still no forced timeline for me... [face_dancing]
  21. Evil Incarnate Force Ghost

star 6
    I like the timeline better than what they had before.

In other news, facebook is going public. Who's gonna jump on the train and try to make some money?

Evil.
  22. AmiraMalicious Jedi Padawan

Embrace the new layout, it allows for a more personalized profile.
    My cover photo:
  23. OBIWAN-JR Force Ghost

star 6
    I've been changed over to Timeline for the last 6wks now - I love it.

It's funny, all the people I know who have changed over to it early are either working in the creative industry, or are peeps that I consider to be particularly creative otherwise.

As for 'why change it', well, I'm guessing they think that it is an improvement - otherwise why risk losing your user-base - but also, change is good in an industry where standing still can be perceived as going stale.

Plus, life doesn't stand still, it keeps changing. Embrace the change.

-JR :)
  24. imperial_dork Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Continuously hitting 'older posts' to get to something from even 3 months ago was a pain in the ass. I, for one, welcome our new timeline overlords.
  25. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    I rather like the look of it as well. I wish they'd redo the main page to have it be more chronologically based, the was it works now, if you follow a sports team, for example, you sometimes get a post about an upcoming game with the result of that game further down the page.

The concern with the timeline is that it puts so much more of your info up front for people to see, but you can edit the things on the timeline to avoid that problem.

What people should really be incensed about is how FB still runs roughshod over people's privacy rights. Their data retention policy is obscene and completely lacking in transparency. And it's absurd that every time they rework the site, I have to go back and change my privacy settings back to the way I want them.