main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Faces in the Passageway (a strange Vader/Ami fic) Still in Progress, Believe it or Not;-)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Meredith_B_Mallory, Oct 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meredith_B_Mallory

Meredith_B_Mallory Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2001
    Hello! Thank you for bothering to look at my little thread. Er... I'm not entirely sure what to say about this. This fic is Vader/Ami centric and takes place about seventeen years after the Skywalker Twins are born. My sources (ohhh ahhh) tell me that Luke and Leia are supposed to be eighteen in the first movie, so that puts this story JUST before a New Hope. This is AU, but in a canological way. @_@ Oish, maybe I ought to shut up-- I'm making myself dizzy. I do hope you enjoy this!

As a side note, this was originally posted on the 'Skywalking' mailing list under the title 'Hourglass'. Just the prologue, that is... ^^;

Legal Disclaimer: Do I look like I'm in charge? ... Didn't think so.

Personal Disclaimer: You mean you *don't* hear the voices? ^_~

"If you go forward, I will meet you there..."
    - "Frozen Love" by Buckingham Nicks

-------------------------------------------
    Faces in the Passageway
    Prologue/?
    by Meredith Bronwen Mallory
    mallorys-girl@cinci.rr.com
    http://www.demando.net/

"Ever thought about dying?" It was a strange question, asked by a voice strangled in the back of his throat, but Anakin was in a strange mood. He somehow felt it needed to be asked.

It was one of those days when such a question could be posed- the wind moved lazily, and the sun was not a single point of light but a sort of diffused illumination. Quiet rested over the small veranda where Anakin and his wife had ensconced themselves after lunch, comfortable that -- at least for today-- there were no obligations to fulfill, no appointments to attend. He smiled just a little as he turned from the work bench, interested in her reaction. Padme` was a woman who used her whole body for expression, and Anakin found it fascinating to watch.
    "It's funny you ask that," her face was relaxed, smiling without actually doing so, but he saw curiosity in the shift of her posture.
    "Oh?" he asked, absently placing his tools back in their proper order. From her place on the lounge nearby, Padme` nodded and held up the book she was reading.
    "The Nubian Holy Text," Anakin read, laughing, "I sure know how to pick 'em, huh?"
    "You do," her face sobered a bit, and she closed the book completely. "I have thought about death. A lot, actually," her voice was quiet, her eyes staring into his own, "What about you?"
    "Not much, to tell the truth," he replied, resisting the urge to move from the bench to the lounge. From the corner of his mind, the Dark perked up and began its usual little whispers. Anakin flinched inwardly; and here he thought he was having a good day. "But recently-- I don't know. A young Padawan died in an accident the other day, and I suppose it affected me more than I realized."
    His wife's face was genuinely sympathetic as she rested her chin in her hands, "I hadn't heard about it, Ani. I'm sorry."
    He shook his head, "It was no one I knew, at least not that well. But it was a messy death, nothing I'd wish for anybody." For a brief moment, every line in Padme's body was unreadable, and he wondered in a panic if perhaps she *could* hear that natering little shadow in his mind. Could she know?

"What *do* the Jedi believe, anyway?" she asked, immediately setting his fears to rest. To Anakin, the relief was as tangible as the small breeze. Certainly, he didn't what her to know about the Dark, the shadows. He didn't want them anywhere *near* her.
    "Mostly that, after you die, you become one with the living Force," the response was correct, rote and memorized. He heard it almost every day.
    "And then?" Padme inquired innocently.
    "What do you mean 'then'?" Even through his confusion, Anakin felt a curious warmth wind itself through him. Padme was resting herself against the arm of the lounge, brown eyes wide, mouth partly open, her attention completely focused on Anakin alone. He loved moments like these, when he felt he had her all to himself. For just a minute, the Dark quieted and the shadows scattered, only to come back together again

2. DarkLady27

DarkLady27 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 26, 2000
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: *faints* Another *gasp* AMI/VADER FIC??? :D :D :D :D :D JOY!! *coughs* Sorry there, I love Ami/Vader fics! [face_love] . Fantastic beginning there!
    I hope more soon! :) *adds it to bookmark* ;)

3. DarkLady27

Jul 26, 2000
  4. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Hi, DarkLady27! <shakes DL27's hand> I'm so glad to find another Ami/Vader fan! :) Thanks for the feedback, and for uping the thread. I'll post more on Wednesday. ;)

~Meredith

Ps. Any Ami/Vader fics you can reccommend?

5. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    YES more for tomorrow!! :D [face_devil]

6. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Yay! I have two readers now! (Hi, Ashamaphone! ;)) Here's the next little bit... I do hope you enjoy!

Always remember: feedback is your friend.

Have a nice All Hallow's Eve,
    ~Meredith

Faces in the Passageway 1/?
    by Meredith Bronwen Mallory
    mallorys-girl@cinci.rr.com
    http://www.demando.net/

You need to keep running. Don't look back, don't think about where you've been or what you're running from, it doesn't matter. Just keep moving. Your destination is a vague thing- as long as the enemy isn't there, as long as He isn't there, it doesn't matter where you go.

But you're tried. You want to stop, because you're tried, because you're so out of breath it's all you can hear, and your legs feel as though they're made of glass. You're so cold, you've never been so cold in your life, but its a liquid thing and you feel it running along your body. It's snowing, white all around you, a white more pure than even the armor of your enemies (but don't think about that, don't think about that). Blindly you reach out, and your hands touch on the wall of a building. You lean against it to steady yourself, but it doesn't yield. There's nothing to sink into, no place to go. Why have you stopped running?! The bricks are ice to the touch, you can feel them through the heavy cloak and gown. You close your eyes, lean more of your weight against it anyway. Your breath steadies itself, as much as you allow it. This is nice, you think. All you want to do is rest here...

No, no, keep running! If you stop, you'll think, so please keep running. Please...

You don't run, you're just too tired. All you've ever done in your life is run-- everything else is a dream, unreal, something you made up to convince yourself you've got someplace to go. Maybe you should turn around, walk (yes, walk; slow, stately movement...) back, try to find Him. You can reason with Him, maybe. It's not too late. Maybe you don't have to give Him up, you can still...

Don't be an idiot! If it was just you, maybe you could do that, it'd only be your blood. But think of the children..
    The children!

Now you are running again, not matter how much it hurts. You curse yourself, because the fear is real again. Fool! Your husband is dead. That thing they raised out of the grave is something else entirely. You have to forget they have anything to do with each other, so that your sweet babies can have just one little chance.... You place your hands against your small belly, even as you run. They aren't there anymore, you'll never see them again, but if you think about holding them you might just be able to keep running.

You hear a shot fired nearby. It echoes off the wall, so loud you stop and cover your ears. Now you're moving again, though, because you have to get back to the main streets. If you can just find a market place, or a crowd, you might be able to loose them.. at least the soldiers. You know He (can hear your heart beat) will be able to sense you. And maybe, just possibly, if you can muster enough to be tricky you can evade Him too. At least until its too late. Then it won't matter.
    (Oh, God, you just want to die...)

Here, yes! There are people here, colorful birds seen through the blinding snow. But they're used to it, here on this world, and you're just passing through. The air around you feels heavy, like ice. Oh, how He must hate it here...
    Shut up! Shut up! Don't think like that, you won't make it if you do.

You can slow your pace, just a little, now. The people around you gaze on you strangely, its like a dream (it is a dream) where everyone turns to look at you. You must look so pale- like a ghost, your lips like blood, eyes haunted.
    And you are so very haunted.

Breathing is becoming difficult, again, your lips burn with the warm breath and then chill in the cold. You almost want to stop again..
    But wait! See the Stormtroopers, who are no longer white in the presence of the snow. See them? They're

7. DarkLady27

Jul 26, 2000
    :D :D :D :D :D . Your welcome! :) *shakes hand back* Is it ever great to find another Ami/Vader fan too! :) Any good Ami/Vader fics? Hmmm Well, sabrelight's doing one called "Knight of Darkness" . It's a really great fic ;) . I'm also doing one with four great other authors and I have to update it [face_blush] (lot's of homework
    :eek: :mad: :_| )

Fantastic job with that post! :_| :_| Really , really sad :_| Love the emotion!
    [face_love] (as you can tell [face_blush] :p )

8. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    Okay, now that I'm completely creeped out but that last postie....

It was great!

9. Jedi Pikachu

Jedi Pikachu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2000
    YAY! Another A/V fic! :D :D :D

*dances around with joy*

BTW, I love your other fic M_B_M! :)

10. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
  11. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Welcome, Jedi Pikachu! ^_^ Thanks so much for your feedback, hon. <squeals> I have three readers!

Here's a bit more... I have one more post on backlog so, depending on whether or not I write tonight, I may have another post for tomorrow.

<looks at the above> Um, good luck wading your way through that sentence. No, I don't have a map. But I do have more the story! Enjoy and, as always, please give feedback!

```````````````````````````````````````````````
    Amalone District, Northern Hemisphere
    Imperial Center, Coruscant

('WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!')

She woke with the taste of blood in her mouth, her hand clutching at her throat. She heard choking noises, but it only took her a few seconds to realize they were her own. For a long, panicked while, she wasn't sure who 'I' and 'mine' and 'my' referred to.
    ('You' and 'I' are the same thing, and neither of us can breathe...)
    Her eyes rolled upwards, only to see the worried faces of her nurses, just before one of them pried her mouth open and fairly shoved the breather inside. The thoughts in her mind solidified as much as they could through the fear, and things became more defined. Yalith Minborne, that was what 'I' meant. Her lips closed over the machine automatically and she felt it force movement through the still air of her lungs. She fought the urge to cough again, as her lungs fluttered helplessly. Having done the first part of its job, the machine switched to regulating her breathing. In, out, in, out. How she hated the rhythm! She closed her eyes, enduring, knowing that without the machine she'd still be starving for breath, eventually drowning with air all around her. Hovering above her, she saw the white robed nurses clasping their hands to their hearts and looking blissfully grateful. They looked a lot like carved angels. Didn't they put those above gravestones?
    Sometimes Yalith wished they would just let her die.
    (Oh, God, you just want to die...)

Her breathing had to be regular for a full five minutes before they'd take out the machine. Yalith watched the small crystal clock on her nightstand, willing the numbers to change. The taste of metal spiked on her tongue, and she almost thought the blood tasted better. Briefly, she thought she caught the taste of smoke brought into her mouth through the machine, but an attempt to breathe through her nose only brought on another coughing fit. Now she'd have to wait another five minutes.
    Stupid lungs.

"You can take it out now," Nurse Hanip said at last. Her voice and eyes were kind as she helped Yalith remove the machine, and the young girl felt suddenly guilty. She shouldn't have been angry with them earlier. After all, they were only doing the job her father paid them to do; keep Yalith alive. None of them knew her dark wish, and none of them ever would. If they did, they would not let her have her wish, they'd only send her to the mental hospital. And the people *there* wouldn't let her die, either.
    "Feeling better, dear?" Nurse Fallon asked sweetly, moving to help her young charge sit up. Not for the first time, Yalith noticed that Fallon wasn't much older than she was.
    "Much better," she lied smoothly. Her eyes flickered from face to face, trying to read their intent. "I can still go to school, can't I?"
    "Now, Mistress, it's already past five hundred hours," Hanip began reasonably, "You weren't breathing regularly for at least ten minutes. You gave us quite a scare, and you know when you have bad mornings like this it usually means you'll have a bad day..."
    "Please?" Yalith put on her best smile, sitting up straight and looking at each of her nurses in turn, "I'm feeling better now. I've already missed two days this week!"
    "Mistress..." Nurse Genea began.
    "I would like to go to school," she said regally. The young girl turned her eyes to the Fallon, knowing the red-head held out the best chance of caving. "The attack wasn't spontaneous," she added, inclining her head and looking to the side, "I had a nightmare

12. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Uping this so people can find it... [face_blush]

~Meredith

13. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    I like!!! :D :D :D :D

Yes, I think that covers it....

14. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    :eek: whoa. This fic is ... getting weird...in a good way!! :)

15. DarkLady27

Jul 26, 2000
    :_| :_| :_| That was so sad, but very well written! :_| :_| *sniffs* Great job!
    UP!

16. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Lilu- Yay! It's good to have you on this thread too! I'm glad you like the story. ^_^

Ashamaphone- You need to be sainted, you give me so much feedback. Thank you! I'm glad you think the fic is getting weird... <sith grin>

DarkLady27- Nice to have you back again! Thanks for the feedback. Btw, I read your 'Dark Angels in Heaven' (I believe) and I'm really enjoying it!

And now back to our (semi)regularly scheduled programing. ;)

---Remember the feedback! [face_blush]----

Amalone District, Northern Hemisphere
    Imperial Center, Coruscant

Freshly dressed in the uniform of the Coruscant Select Academy for Ladies, and freed at last from the constant worrying of her Nurses, Yalith was in a considerably better mood than the one she woke up in. She even felt so daring as to skip down the hallway outside her apartment-- a feat which was, during her bad season, impossible to accomplish without a fit of coughing. Smiling widely at the stranger in the lift, she toyed with the ends of her long braids, feeling a bout of restlessness settle in with her good mood. It seemed like a crime that she'd be stuck in her cramped desk all day, especially since she felt more alive than she had in months. The morning's confusion, as well as the dream ( no, no, not a dream, a memory ) had passed over her like a cloud on its way to someone else. Yalith supposed that the Importance of the day had something to do with her good mood. She didn't bother to analyze *why* the day felt important, she knew from long practice that it would be futile. It was the same with the strangers she met (the ones who seemed so familiar), and the places she came to one her first visit (but knew her way around with startling accuracy). On an intellectual level these things escaped her, but deep down, they were there. So, she simply accepted the fact that today was significant and moved on. She felt, insanely, that she ought to celebrate somehow.
    "Hisae!" she called out when the lift opened at the bottom floor. Hisae, Yalith's best friend, was easy to spot even across the large lobby.
    "You're late," the other girl remarked as Yalith came closer. Hisae crossed her arms in good-natured annoyance, glancing significantly at Yalith's sparkling eyes and smile. "Here I am thinking the Mother Patrol isn't going to let you come to school, and then you show up all bright eyed and bushy tailed."
    "Well," Yalith pointed out, wagging her finger, "I almost didn't get past them."
    "Really?"
    "Yeah," Yalith rolled her eyes heavenward in annoyance. By some unspoken agreement, both girls headed towards the door, busy buttoning up their long wool coats. She risked a glance at her watch, "We're going to miss our train if we don't hurry. I'll explain on the way."
    "If we're late, can we can blame it on one of your attacks? I have three tardies already, I can't afford anymore," Hisae said, tucking in her scarf, then pausing to hold open the door.

Outside, Coruscant's chilly morning air rushed over them, more intense then it would have been in the lower levels of the city. Despite the enormous control the planet's occupants exerted over the weather, there was a marked drop in temperature towards the end of the year.
    "Three tardies?" Yalith asked once they were safely on their way to station. The wind whistled through the city's tall caverns, forcing her to raise her voice.
    "Uh-huh. Don't you remember that-- Oh, that's right, you missed a lot this week," Hisae patted Yalith on the back, an understanding smile in her green eyes. The other girl merely shook her head, ashamed with her weakness. "Anyway, my brother came home for a visit two days ago, and he's been keeping me up with all night with stories," she yawned, as if to emphasize the point, "They're really great, though. I wish I could be a Stormtrooper," Hisae's voice took on a sad note, "This 'males-only' thing is plain mynok-poodoo." Yalith flinched, but said nothing

17. DarkLady27

Jul 26, 2000
    Hi again, (to Ashamaphone, the savior of fanfics!) ..... um [face_blush] back on track :D thx for the welcome and I hope you do enjoy DAiH. I have to update.....

Whao suspense :eek: I LOVE IT:D . So is this Yalith person actually Padmé? Or am I dreaming? :eek: :eek: .

Scary :eek: . Great post!!!! :D :D

18. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    DarkLady27- You're right, Yalith is the reincarnation of Padme`. I was afraid my hints wouldn't make sense, so I'm glad you got it! ^_^ Hopefully I'll post more on Thursday...

~Meredith

Ps. Yes, please do update DAiH, I can't wait for more.

19. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Don't worry MBM, I thought it all made sense - Well..... sort of ;)

I hope you still remember to update Where ever I am to you, though.

20. Jedi Pikachu

Jedi Pikachu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2000
    Wow! Interesting plot twist! I can't wait for more! :D :D

21. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Lilu- 'From Where Ever'...? <tries to look confused, but gives up> [face_blush] I promise I'll update on Friday.

<looks at Tarkin, begins beating him over the head with something heavy> You hear me!? FRIDAY! You will cooperate! By! Friday!

:D ... Do excuse me. [face_blush]

Jedi Pikachu Hey there, welcome to the thread! Arigato for the feedback. I'm hoping this fic will at least be a little original. ^_^

~Meredith

22. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    GAH!! I missed a post!! I'm getting made @ my isp. *grumbles about stupid, sithly disconnections*

This fic is getting fasinating. [face_devil]

23. DarkLady27

Jul 26, 2000
    Upping this! So Yalith is a *reincarnation of Padmé??* So that means actually that Padmé surivived, but has another name? Or am I missing something here?
    :_| :_| :_|

24. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    DarkLady27- Padme` died in the fire, but her soul was reborn in Yalith's body. Yalith herself has no concrete memory of her previous life, just nightmares and gut instincts. I hope that helped! ;)

~Meredith

25. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Oh yeah! Ami/Vader AU!!!!!!! We REALLY need more of these stories on the boards. Thank ya for writing this, Meredith! You've just gained another reader ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.