main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Faces in the Passageway (a strange Vader/Ami fic) Still in Progress, Believe it or Not;-)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Meredith_B_Mallory, Oct 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Uuuuuuuup!

2. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Boot to the thread!

Meredith! The natives are restless!

3. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    And up again!

4. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Do we even want to think about what page this is on?

*uses amazing powers of levitation to bring this thread up!*

Aaah, this is such a good story! Very original premise, and the reunion is so very sweet. :) Please update this soon.

5. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Just because I'm that way... uuuuuup!

6. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Get up, yeah! Get on up!

7. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
  8. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Meredith?! Where are youuuuuu?

I swear, I'll send out a Sith search party...

9. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Just giving this a random up.

And a subtle hint to the author... ;)

*SB*

10. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    A double post, and the thread didn't pop up at the front. Hmmm...

*SB*

11. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    I SAID UP!!! :mad:

EDIT: Alright, this isn't working tonight. I'll just have to give another up tomorrow! [face_plain]

*SB*

12. _underscore_

_underscore_ Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    I just ran into this story a day or two ago and I think it's great! I could do with another post though... Fine, I NEED another post! Please? Oh, and while I'm at it, UP!!!

13. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    Just giving this an innocent up! :)

EDIT: This is STILL not working for me. :( I tried!

*SB*

14. Meredith_B_Mallory

Meredith_B_Mallory Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2001
    I am really, truly afraid this sucks (gee-- where have you heard this before? ;)) but I'm going to post this anyway, since I'm afraid I've kept you waiting too long. :D Please let me know what you think!

-Meredith

[to the tune of "The Worms Go In"]
    The fic is posted in,
    Hopefully feedback comes out,
    If Meredith gets replies,
    it will make her shout.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Faces in the Passageway 3/?
    by Meredith Bronwen Mallory
    mallorys-girl@cinci.rr.com
    http://www.demando.net/
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You remember another part of this twisted fairy tale-- sometimes you think you're a child with fever, and these are the demons you see behind the beautiful face of Snow White, in the wicked Queen's mirror (god, how could she stand to *look* so much?), the chaos lingering just behind those happily ever afters. It never goes end that way, really; they just choose to stop the story before the next crest of the storm. You remember, standing, dripping in pearls, making words from ancient, holy language that said you and he, together forever.

And then there's something else, something after the fire; you're trapped in the pieces of your body, and you can't even scream. The sky is glass-- a coffin, and you know that your ruins will never truly mend. His face hovers, and you know it's not a ghost, or a wishful memory, because it's so grotesque. The fire has touched him and changed him too, but the worst is that you know. You know it's him tied up in the puppet strings, because you can see his eyes and god they are so blue...

"When I grow up," you say to your little sister. You're sitting on the narrow gray ledge outside the room your family shares. Swinging your legs in counter-time, you hold hands and gaze up through the myriad maze of skyscrapers to that little patch of azure sky that reminds you of home. "When I grow up, I will only ever marry someone with the sky in their eyes."

[I don't have a sister]

You do, and you don't. You are, and you aren't; you're the same, but all the rules and faces are different, and you don't know what is what. Desperately, you wish you could merge, be of both, but the parts won't go together at all.

(You and I are the same thing, and we're both going to die!)
    The fire.
    He's taken your hand in his-- leather clad fingers are stronger than your wedding band, and his breathing is the sound of death ridding over the sand...

You're so happy, you want to cry.

Yalith could see herself reflected in Vader's mask-- all wide eyes and a fear so much larger than everything that she buckled under it's force. Swiftly, she looked down to their joined hands, and pulled a slow breath into the shrinking space of her lungs. She could feel him looking at her, and knew that behind the polished ebony, his eyes were so blue it hurt.
    "Anakin..." she said, to put a name to her sorrow. Now she flinched, half-remembering rage from him at those sounds. Anger did not come-- only the touch of his gloved finger, tracing down her cheek.

"Yalith!" the voice was sharp and alien, echoing from the upstairs corridor with the beginnings of worry. Slowly, Yalith took a step back, wondering how she had freed her hand and holding the appendage to her chest like an injured bird. "Yalith," and again, accompanied by footsteps.
    "I'm coming!" she called, and groped blindly backwards for the staircase, overwhelmed by the sound of the ocean in her ears. It was Vader, the death-noise of his breath.

Her own labored respiration was in time with his.

'She was real is real and alive', Vader thought, even as her fingers disentangled themselves from his own with phantom grace. In the time before, she had been just as specter-like; something made of shadow and the light coming through the window-- even then, he always had to touch her to make sure she would not blur and fade with all the other, pleasant things. He watched the panicked rise and fall of her chest as she backed away, and anger flared within him that her body would

15. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    [face_shocked] I almost fainted when I saw you had posted! And what a post! Vader cured her? Well that was awfully nice of him. Dr. Antilles is interesting as well. You'd have to be, to be Vader's physician. ;)

Awesome post!

*SB*

16. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    StarBlazer- *smiles* you always reassure me, thanks! Vader didn't actually cure her-- just stopped her from having another attack. A nice swich from choking people, ne? ;) I'm glad Corrin is interesng-- I always hate making up new characters, since I don't want to bore people, but she was needed.

Thanks again,
    Meredith

17. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    < dances around the room in a joyous mad fit! >

'Faces!' I got 'Faces!'

How in the the Name could you think that this sucked? Dr. Antilles is a captivating character and the way she and Vader play off each other is awesome! I love her earthiness and her misanthropy - I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

Yalith... what can I say? She's such a tragic figure with so much of her past life bleeding into the present she cant be much more sane than Vader/Anakin.

My favorite bits:

"Stubbornly, Vader's mind worked the machines wired to it; he kept his arms still and did not reach out for her, he kept his legs straight and did not go after her. Bolts and wires and reconstructed nerves obeyed-- as faulty flesh would not have. Before, he had chased after her, and the smoldering remains of her consequence was something he could see any time he wanted. All he had to do was close his eyes.

Haunting, absolutely haunting to see inside Vader's mind this way.

"He'd sent her across the room again with his power fisted around her throat, but he hadn't killed her. Instead, he'd sent everyone away and wept over his beloved, before he buried her in a cave on Tatooine. You don't cut up holy things.

He refused to be blasphemous.

That was something that would never change.
    "

One of the fascinating things about Vader's character, IMHO, is that by his lights he is moral and ethical. He sees his loyalty to the Empire as something he is doing for the greater good, by increasing his own power he brings Imperial Order. I think part of his discontent with Palpatine is the falling away of the "convert syndrome" whereby the convert discovers that the faith he embraced has not solved all of his problems, but merely presented him with a different set. Vader has discovered that Palpatine is not moral or ethical, but is first and last what both vader and Anakin despise - a politician in the most derogatory sense of the word.

Yeesh... see my big mouth run... I'll wrap it up...

Great post. I heap chocolate around you and beg on my knees for more. :) :)

18. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! A post!!!!!! The Maker be praised!!! I especially loved
    the thankfulness in her eyes stirred the young boy screaming somewhere, lost in the overwhelming armor.

This is, needless to say, terrific. I can"t wait to see them Vader and Yalith meet again!

19. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    Ah, I see. Still, I agree, it's way better than the choking thing... ;)

*SB*

20. Sophita

May 24, 2002
    Wow. Wonderful chapter! I love how you worked Vader's morals in there. :D

Can't wait to hear more about Yalith and Vader! :)

21. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    *heaps chocolate around Chaos Rose* Thank you for such detailed feedback! Just what I wanted for my birthday, too. ;) I'm glad Vader came out the way you read him-- that was exactly what I was going for. I can't wait to see how George really paints his fall in Episode III.

Shezan- Yay, you liked it too! :D I promise there will be quite a few more meetings.

StarBlazer- Amen. ;)

Sophita- Thank you so much for both posts of feedback!

Now, up! Since I'm *gasp* 31 today...
    aiya...

-Meredith

22. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Please write more 'Faces!'*
    Happy Birthday to you!

* Or any other tale that strikes your fancy...

23. leia_amigirl

leia_amigirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2002
    WOW!!! I don't think I can say anything more :) I have just finished reading all that has been written in the fic so far and I don't know how to describe it. It is haunting and yet beautiful. I really feel sorry for Vader. I can't wait until the next post. BTW Happy Birthday :)

amigirl

24. Sophita

May 24, 2002
    Happy Birthday to you. :) Hope you enjoyed it. :D

25. leia_amigirl

leia_amigirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2002
    up you go thread!!! ;)

amigirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.