main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Facial Scar Effects (Test Pic)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Skaught, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I'm going the extra mile for my Dengar costume by adding some facial scars. I tested some stuff called collodion that shrinks after you brush it on, creating a healed scar effect. Here are the results:

[image=http://www.skaught.com/starwars/images/scartest.jpg]

It's just like the old Elmer's glue fun we had as kids. Except this stuff stinks and is hard to peal off! I'm thinkint the scars could use a little color, though. Maybe some reddish-purple? Just to make the stand out a bit more. The collodion is terribly easy to use. Any suggestions for coloring? I plan on wearing this in the upcoming Dinsey Star Wars Weekends parade.

Here is the rest of the suit:
    [image=http://www.skaught.com/starwars/images/dengar.jpg]

Scott

2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    That looks fantastic.

I'm wondering if you could add color (something like Ben Nye Magicolor liquid) directly to the collodion before applying to give it a slight pinkish tinge, like scar tissue sometimes has.

3. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    That's actually quite awsome!...

Hmmm... I like those Diamond knee plates... hmmm... me needs some... I wants some... my presious... Errr... Make them yourself?

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Very nice looking. Where do you get the stuff to do that?

5. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Wow. Looks great, I have not heard of collodion, but I will look it up. As for coloring, if you can add it to the collodion I think that would be best, if not a little makeup should do the job.

6. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    I picked up two bottles for $9.50 on ebay. I saw it for sale on some websites, too.

Yes, I made the kneeplates. They're not perfect enough for TK armor, but for Dengar they're just fine.

Scott

7. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Collodion is great. If you brush on some liquid latex over the collodion, the collodion will protect ur skin while you cut the latex to make a realistic cut. The collodion also makes a good indentation in the skin, making the cut look even more real. Just paint the inside bright red and spread some Ben Nye Fresh Scab over it. I made my girlfriend up like a dead hooker for Halloween. :)

But at any rate. Ben Nye makes some makeup wheels with four colors or more that are arranged for specific effects. There's a burn wheel, a bruise wheel, etc. So I'd pick up a scar wheel and some cosmetic wedges and just play til it looks good.

And while you're at it, as long as you're going all out (which is awesome), pick up some nose putty, liquid latex, and some regular makeup that matches your skin tone so you can make urself a big old man nose like Dengar's. :)

What you do is paint your nose with latex, take a blob of nose putty, make urself a new nose, paint over it with more latex (the putty is sticky), then use makeup to blend it to ur skin tone. Just a suggestion.

8. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    Hi, I'm a make-up artist.. I used rigid collodian the weekend before last for a Harry Potter scar on my forehead for a convention - and it looks fantastic.

BUT

Richard Taylor (WETA Workshop) was there and we were talking about it and he says collodian is actually banned in the USA. It can burn the skin and create a real scar. So use pros-aide on the skin first to protect it.

For colour use grease paints either under the collodian or on top - start off lightly and gradually reapply. I use a small brush too (unless it's your whole thigh! But then I wouldn't use collodian for that).

9. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Wow, I hadn't heard that.

But how can it be banned if I can buy it at any costume shop in town?

10. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    I don't know. It's what he said, and I remember one of my teachers saying something like it as well.

Interesting that you can buy it in a costume store though.. You buy it in professional makeup stops here (ie. shops that the general public don't really know about).

11. sith_are_undying

sith_are_undying Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2004
    Looks totally great!
    One suggestion though, you might want to rub some tan dirt or sand into the white undersuit to give it a worn look.

just a suggestion!

12. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    Actually, the suit is gray, not white. The flash just washed everything out.

Scott

13. Gannon-Traz

Gannon-Traz Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2004
    _________________________}[|||||||||]{_________________________

OH! You poor dear! What happened, I..I.. What! It's not real? Wow!

It looks real good, seriously!

Coloring depends:

newer scar= dark pink

older scar= light purplish-blue

_________________________}[|||||||||]{_________________________

14. Sraw_Rats

Sraw_Rats Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2001
    Two thumbs up.....very nice.

15. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Coloring depends:

newer scar= dark pink

older scar= light purplish-blue

I would like to make an addendum this this

older scar 5+ years= light pinkish/white

See this picture Scar. I would hot link the picture but since I stopped paying my hosting fees they took that feature away from me.

Just to take care of this in advance-

Yes those are real scars. They are about 7 years old at this point. And no I won't tell you how they happened ;). Sorry but these are questions that I have been asked almost everyday for the last 7 years and at this point I usually forget they are there.

So as you can see if it is supposed to be a fairly old scar you really don't need to add a lot of color. The pink color you are seeing is more because of the poor lighting in my house than it is actully the pigment of my scars. Most of my scars look very similar to the white ones at the top of the picture. The scars that I have on my face that are over 15 years old look very similar to your make-up.

Hope this helps!

16. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    I've tested drawing some red lines where the scars will go and rubbing them in. This is working well. I want the scars to be noticeable from a distance, since I'll be marching in the Disney Star Wars Weekends parade coming up. So a little coloring will help.

Scott

17. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Very nice Scott! I can't wait to see in person.

Although I'm sure we could find a few people to take whacks at ya if you want 'authentic' coloring. Free of charge! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.