main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Fahrenheit 451: A Thread about the book!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Well - a bit about censorship. But only tangentially, in that burning off the old ideas is necessary to keep 451-America holding together. So censorship comes into it, but I agree that the main thrust of the book is about how the population have been gently brainwashed into not only neglecting independent thought but actually being scared of it.

Playboy, of all places . . . :p Yeah, it was. It began as a long short story, then Bradbury expanded it into a short novel. It's still a very slim volume compared to some of the other classics.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocked.

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, I read this book a long time ago, and I plan to read it again, but here's what I remember of my reaction to it.

As someone who's a bit of a bibliophile, the concept horrified me beyond belief. Yet I couldn't stop reading. It's the kind of book that you have to find out what happens. Unfortunately, I was just a little kid when I read it and didn't pick up much of the symbolism that I'd probably find now. I do remember finding the ending lackluster though, an opinion I might change if I read it now. Still, the book is a great tale, and it's certainly a chilling depiction of the world. I'd never want to live in this world, but I would love to read this book again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.