main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" Faith in your New Apprentice...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DUGGY, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    ....misplaced may be, as is your faith in the Darkside."

What is Yoda saying ?. He sounds pretty confident here, is he saying that Anakin will lose to ObiWan ?. or is he referring to Anakin's ability for betrayal,and his inability to accept his place?. for instance if Anakin turned on the Jedi to get Power , then he will do the same to Palpatine too. that Palpatines faith that Anakin is in his court may not be so.
    I may be reaching but i thought this must have some signifigance other than ObiWan is gonna kick his Butt. Is Yoda saying in not so many words , that " he'll turn on you too". ?

2. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    Personally I think he said that meaning anakin would mess up and obi would win, which is what eventually did happen.

3. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Is Yoda saying in not so many words , that " he'll turn on you too". ?

Exactly perfect foreshadowing to come hence the shaft in ROtJ.

4. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Yoda didn't hold Anakin in the highest of regards. He meant several things here IMO.

1) Obi-wan had the ability to kick Anakin's ***. In the novel I'm pretty sure he even says at this point something along the lines of "Not so easy to kill is Obi-wan".

2) Yoda knew why Anakin joined the Sith. He thought that as soon as he had figured out what he wanted to know he would off Sids just as he had the Jedi who opposed him.

3) He knew the nature of the Sith. Anakin would betray his Master. It was only a matter of time.

4) Anakin was a punk. He had an impossible time learning from the Jedi and they only trained him out of what they thought was neccesity. It's kinda like when you're competetion gets one of your problem employees. You know things may be rosy for a while but deep down you know things will hit the fan sooner or later. You're almost glad they got them, that way you don't have to put up with it anymore and have a little chuckle because you know they have no idea what they've just done.

5. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i agree here chozn except for the last point

6. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    3 outta 4 i'll take :D

7. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Jedi Master

May 5, 2004
    This is exactly my interpertation of it also..

8. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    well i'm glad it was not my imagination.

Luke: " Your overconfidence is your weakness "

9. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Dig it! That's what I thought. You the man![face_peace]

10. DarthPosterGuy

DarthPosterGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2005
    Did Yoda know that Anakin would eventually destroy the Sith? Did he believe the Prophecy? Accident waiting to happen, just like he was with the Jedi.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda was confident that Obi-wan would come through and defeat Vader, just as he was confident that he could succeed where Mace failed with Palpatine. Yoda suspects that while Palpatine is powerful, he also lacks the ability to defeat one such as him. And that without Vader there to back him up, like with Mace, Palpatine's out of options. Thus he has to bolt when the going gets tough.

12. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Not the first time Yoda was wrong. because Palps did try to bolt, but you did see that he did'nt have to . he defeated Yoda anyway. i think he, as a Sith would , would have rather fought with greater odds on his side. but he most certainly did defeat Yoda. hence Yoda did not continue, and Yoda's " hurry!! " , Or " Failed I have , Into Exile i must go " sadly not the words of a Victor. no matter how You choose to look at it.

13. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Yoda didn't hold Anakin in the highest of regards. He meant several things here IMO.

Says who? "Powerful Jedi was he,powerful Jedi."

1) Obi-wan had the ability to kick Anakin's ***. In the novel I'm pretty sure he even says at this point something along the lines of "Not so easy to kill is Obi-wan".

Well yeah but thats not taking away from Anakin

2) Yoda knew why Anakin joined the Sith. He thought that as soon as he had figured out what he wanted to know he would off Sids just as he had the Jedi who opposed him.

Did he? Did he really know that Padme would be the reason Anakin turned?

3) He knew the nature of the Sith. Anakin would betray his Master. It was only a matter of time.

Well even Sidious knew that hence Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us.

4) Anakin was a punk. He had an impossible time learning from the Jedi and they only trained him out of what they thought was neccesity.

Did he really have an impossible time learning or should he have been more patient. Remember Mace did say Anakin had exceptional skills so he could learn if only he had more patience. I think in time he would definitely be a MAster

It's kinda like when you're competetion gets one of your problem employees. You know things may be rosy for a while but deep down you know things will hit the fan sooner or later. You're almost glad they got them, that way you don't have to put up with it anymore and have a little chuckle because you know they have no idea what they've just done.

Okay those last statements threw me for a loop LOL.

14. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Great topic Duggy.
    My answer would have to be "D) All of the above."

It seems Yoda's statement can emcompass all of Anakin's tendencies, faults, characteristics, etc. At the end of TPM, while bestowing the level of Jedi Knight upon Obi-Wan; Yoda makes a statement like, "....the chosen one the boy may be, Nevertheless, grave danger I fear in his training." Is this (Anakin's ultimate darkside turn) one of the outcomes Yoda forsaw?

When watching the Yoda confronting Palpatine/Emporor/Sidious scene, Yoda's delivery of that line does sound extremely confident and somewhat cocky. (Espcecially for just having his green behind slammed into the wall by force lightning).

15. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    I think Yoda referred to the possibility of Anakin being beaten by Obi-Wan - which came true. The foreshadowing part is Lucas putting foreshadowing meanings into the dialog the character isn't aware of (like Anakin: "I'd much rather dream about Padme").

For the overconfidence part: I don't know why people don't seem to catch the irony in this dialogue. It's not his overconfidence that is Sidious' weakness. "Rise, my friend!" - later on, Vader throws Sidious down the shaft. "Your faith in your friend is yours..."

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think he meant, "Obi-Wan is dealing with your little pet project as we speak".

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  17. foreign_sidious

foreign_sidious Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    from what i get i think he ment anakin was a poor fighter

18. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    then maybe he didnt know that anakin trashed dooku while yoda only could force a draw ?? im not so sure.

i think he is meaning everything by that:

1- he thinks kenobi will win.yoda was right

2- he thinks that if kenobi by any reason loses then sidious will be toasted.yoda was right but this never happened

3- yoda knows that vader WILL betray sidious at some point,the way of the sith that is.yoda was right about vader betraying sidious but wrong if he thought vader would do it for selfish reasons.

19. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Notice that Yoda is gasping slightly for breath as he says that, and he uses the word "may." Yoda was just blasted by massive Sith Lightning. I don't think he's too sure of himself here.

I think he knows he's about to fight for his life and that he's hoping everything that he believes about the dark side is true. And he hopes that Anakin isn't really all that he's been advertised to be.

If Anakin would have been fighting almost anyone but Obi-Wan, I think that Yoda's fear, hence the word "may", would have been realized. Obi-Wan was really the only one who could handle Anakin at that point...

I think that was the point of the earlier scene where Anakin manhandles Dooku. This shows us the amazing potential that Anakin has. But Obi-Wan ends that, and Yoda ends up being right...though again I don't think he was that sure of himself.

20. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    I believed Yoda to be confident that Obi-Wan would defeat an Apprentice (Anakin) and Yoda was confident he would defeat the Emperor. But it didnt happen and because it was a stale mate, Yoda fled. Another example of the jedi being over confident.

21. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    I think one glimmer of hope for the lightside is seen in this quote right here.

First Yoda predicts that Anakin may not be as powerful as Sidious thinks...then later, after the duel, Yoda's thoughts are confirmed as Sidious says..."I sense Lord Vader is in danger." Sidious is a bit late, but both masters were right. Anakin loses, the dark side takes a hit.

22. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    I think he meant Anakin was a slow learner and one of the worst apprentices in the history of the galaxy. He also meant that Obi-Wan was going to school Anakin, then hold him back a grade, school him again, and then flunk him on Mustafar.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Another case of the Jedi talking trash in ROTS without being able to back it up.

24. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    No I think Yoda meant that Anakin will turn on Sidious. He also had confidence that Obi Wan would find a way to defeat him. In both cases Yoda was right, although the former took until ROTJ to prove true.

25. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    if yoda suspected sidious to be powerfull, cause he is the sithmaster, than why in TPM all the Jedi (including Yoda) are wondering wether Maul was the Master or Apprentice; if i see someone who is just "well trained in the arts of jedi", that couldnt possible a Sith Master in my book, espacially if he took him 20 min to kill and/or defeat two jedi, where as the Sidious handled himself pretty well against four masters in a few minutes

So that leads me to beilive from in-story point of view that the Jedi (including Yoda) had absolutly no idea of the true power of the darkside in the form of Darth Sidious

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.