main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fake SW Fans-hate them!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by masterPloKoon-6981, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterPloKoon-6981

masterPloKoon-6981 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    i'm here to complain about some people out there who don't know smack about SW or the films, characters, or anything! yet, they insist that they like SW and that they would defend George Lucas,the creator, and the movies against the dark side. take one of my "friends" for instance. he kept on babbling and babbling about his love of SW. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! he doesn't even know who Natalie Portman is! so i decided to bring the truth out of him. i gave him a SW quiz that consisted of easy questions such as "which podracer has a flame thrower?" and "in TPM, who is the only jedi knight in the council?" he didn't write an answer for SELBULBAS podracer and he wrote Macesindo down as the only jedi knight in the council. yep, "macesindo" is supposed to be Mace Windu. if anyone would like to bother him, here's his sn for aol:[edited]

YJ edit: Don't give away someone else's AIM name.

2. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Maybe he just doesn't take the time to memorize the blood-types and such of the characters in Star Wars.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Actually masterPloKoon-6981, I agree with you, but that makes us bad people. If people enjoy the films but don't know anything about them, let them do what they want.

But yeah it really really bugs me, and I hate seeing kids talk about star wars and tehy don't know who (e.g) Darth Tyranus is.

4. JimJam

JimJam Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2003
    Sorry guys but just because not everyone sits on their backsides 24/7 immersing themselves in SW and can name all the extras who played storm troopers or every race seen on Naboo etc.. doesnt make them any less worthy to be a fan, does it?

5. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    All my friends think they are hardcore fans of star wars, i think not. I open a discussion about it with them, none of em know who MARA JADE is!! Its sad, i think theyre just doin it to copy me or somethin. Id say each of em has seen each movie two times, and they know very little. There should be some test to tell if theyre truely star wars fans! We should make one and give it to our friends, watcha think?

Jedi Benji

6. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Well maybe a lot of them aren't into EU. A lot of the hardcore fans around here aren't into EU.

7. JimJam

JimJam Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2003
    I think there is being a fan but that can go too far, to the point it takesd over your life! How many of you all can honestly say that you are not totally obsessed by star wars?

8. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I am not totall..totally...obsessed, wi...with St..Star..War...Star Trek?

There I said it, I am not toally obsessed with Star Trek, easy as ABC if you ask me.

9. JimJam

JimJam Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2003
    See, you all think that "normal" people aren't SW fans cos they arent as totally and utterly obsessed by it as you lot are!!

10. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    They are not fake fans. They simply do not have such an extent of knowledge about Star Wars as many of us do. I do see what you mean about fake Star Wars fans, but in a different context and description.

11. JediLordSkywalker

JediLordSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2002
    My friend thinks he is a Star Wars fan. He doesnt know crap. He thought that Hayden Christiansen played Obi-Wan in TPM and Anakin in AOTC.

12. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    There are people who pose as SW fans but really aren't. In particular, those people only like 2 movies out of the entire saga...

13. Jedi_Jess

Jedi_Jess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    As others have said, not all SW fans are into EU or anything like that. They just really enjoy the movies. You can't really call them fake fans for that.

However, it does piss me off when people say they are a SW fan and you go to have a conversation with them about Anakin's turn or general stuff from the OT and they have no idea what your on about. thats when you could probably call them casual/fake fans. When they dont really know much about even the movies and claim to be great fans

14. JedimasterRiu

JedimasterRiu Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    You guys havent heard anything yet.........

i was in the ep. 3 spoilers forum and it came up what members of the council we thought would die on screen. Somebody replied with, "Jar Jar's in the council now, isn't he? So he'll definitely be one." Needless to say i got angry, responded with "youve got to be kidding me" and was flabbergasted that somebody would actually take time to write in these forums, and think Jar Jar was in the Jedi Council!!!!!

15. Jedi_Jess

Jedi_Jess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    thats just poor.

Jar Jar in the jedi council, tsk tsk tsk
    geez, how could ANY one, let along a fan come to that conculsion???? ?[face_plain]

16. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    Jar Jar with a lightsaber and force powers... cool. :cool:

All you need is love!

17. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    Just because people dont know every little part about Star Wars doesnt mean they're not fans.

18. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    You know, I wouldn't have known those answers, either. I never focused that much on the pod race, and I never really bothered to learn that much about minor players, like mace. Since they refer to him as master windu, I always assumed he was a, well, master. 0_o

I could tell you who mara jade is (ex emperor's hand, now Luke's lovemuffin, redhead) but I couldn't tell you how she acts or what she does; I've never read EU with her really in it. I don't think this makes me any less of a fan than someone who has read virtually every EU novel published. :/

However, I do love all 5 movies, I would like to think I know what I'm talking about. >_<

19. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I agree with DarthHomer, you don't have to be an obsessive in order to like something. I like SW but it's not my life, I don't really care for too many details.

As for Mara Jade and EU characters, there's a lot of guys that think rich visuals and music are essential for a SW experience. Many wouldn't bother to read a book or even a comic book about the expanded universe, introducing Solo's kids, Emperor's clones, Luke's wife etc in plain text or comic book, and not film format.

But I still love some EU video games (e.g. the Rogue Squadron or Jedi Knight series)

20. JediMaster41589

JediMaster41589 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    unless a person claims to like SW in this forum, and bashes SW in another, there is no such thing as a "fake" fan. They just aren't as obsessed and as avid fan as you.

21. DarthGelatinous

DarthGelatinous Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2001
    I'm a fan but I've dedicated 90% of my posts for the past year and half to showcasing my lack of knowledge. Being glib takes a lot of thought.

"Fake" Fans Unite!

22. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    There are still some parts of SW I don't know or forgot about. Guess I must be a "fake-fan".

[face_laugh]

23. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    It's okay to enjoy something without knowing everything about it. You could call yourself a fan, just not a geek, that's all. But there's nothing wrong with being totally obsessed. I mean, I can call myself a Lord of the Rings fan without having every book memorized, knowing the life history of the actors who play the parts, ect. Unless this person goes around bashing other Star Wars fans there's no need to get all p.o.'ed.

24. Lumber_Calrissian

Lumber_Calrissian Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2002
    would a fake-fan be someone who makes up all their own stuff on it, and lies about it? Such as oh say... Supershadow?

All you need is love!

25. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    "which podracer has a flame thrower?"

Wait a minute! I don't know that! Guess I'm not a fan. It's been nice knowing you guys :_|

*runs away sobbing*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.