main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Falcon's Art--Index Pg.1--Replies and Update [04/05/09]: Darth Caedus... :(

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FalconFan, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    FalconFan you have great Art skills and I must say better then anyone I have ever known.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Thank you, Darth Lazious, for your kind words--I'm actually an ameteur who does this for fun and entertainment--and it's very "warm and fuzzy" to talk to everyone here in the forum, too! :D

Putting up a couple more pieces:

This was a fan fiction cover for an author in the Fan Fiction forum, for her wedding viggie "I Do" about Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel (a sweet story!):
    [image=http://img136.exs.cx/img136/4237/idojainajag6jm.jpg]

And here is my first attempt at a "body" in a long time--of Tahiri Veila, the Barefoot Jedi. I used a reference photo for the pose, but altered the arms and the face a bit. Critique, please! :)
    [image=http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/Nilknarf48/BarefootJediTahiriNJO.jpg]

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Those are excellent. Not everybody who can draw faces can manage bodies as well, especially keeping everthing in proportion. Also I hate you for being able to draw hands!

Are you rendering all this in graphite, or are you using pen and ink for some? You might find that it suits you.

And as someone who steadfastly kept to graphite for years, I have to ask you: how scared are you of paint?

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I love looking at all this EU related art. Especially characters from the NJO. I have been looking for art around this era for a long time and haven't been able to find any. And then you come along...fantastic!

The first one of Jag and Jaina is nicely rendered. You matched them up perfectly to the descriptions given in the books. Also, I've always hoped that Jag and Jaina would eventually tie the know, so that drawing has a little more meaning for me. ;)

The Tahiri one is great as well. You have her in a nice fluid pose that really draws your attention. Also, the pose you chosen has a lot of foreshortening issues that you appeared to conquer without a problem. How did you manage that? Did you have a model or was that from your head?

5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions/comments, Soitscometothis--as to your question about media, it's all in graphite pencils of varying hardness (2H to 2B, and everything in between!)--I have a ****y scanner, so usually end up "correcting" the contrast in my photo editing program (MS PictureIt). It's not a perfect system--often the levels end up far too dark compared to the actual drawing (Tahiri is a good example--the shading in the original is far more subtle, and not nearly that dark), but it works for now.
    I've done a bit of pen-and-ink (many, many moons ago...), but haven't used it for a long time. I have a beautiful Rapidograph pen, and used to love working with it... Maybe I should dig it out and get some ink... :) !
    And paint...? *runs screaming from canvas...* I did oils and some acrylics--again, many, many moons ago--but the media never seemed to have the flexibility I felt I needed (thus, pencils!).

HS29--Glad you're enjoying my forays into character "illumination!" I get inspired to render characters when they capture my attention/imagination--Jacen Solo, Jaina and Jag, Tahiri.
    As to the question about a model--no, just a photograph of a figure in that pose. It was of a television action-series actress, and I altered the arms and face a little (Tahiri needs her "shaper's tattoo..."). The foreshortening you mentioned simply came from religiously following the figure's position in the photograph (many, many, many measurement and angle comparisons...). I don't think I actually handled the positioning of her torso very well--but since most of it ended up in deep shadow, I think I got away with it... I still need to work more with figures/bodies, I think--to get better with that. Thanks for being such a regular here! [face_blush]

FF

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    [face_laugh] I agree with you about using paints! Definitely not one of my high points. Although, occasionally I may use a watercolor wash for a background or something.

Nice technique. I find myself using pictures or models to draw an entire figure as well. I'm not confident in drawing them from my head and if I do, they turn out looking strange. Limbs are sometimes bending in strange position etc. Although, we had about 4 weeks this semester just studying the figure, so I find that I'm improving. But still, you did a wonderful job on Tahiri. I can't get over how well it turned out.

7. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    I have no suggestions to make. I just came to gush. AWESOME!

8. Kybo_Ren

Kybo_Ren Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 1999
    I think the Kyp one looks like Trent Reznor :D

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks, everyone--it's sort of fun, to be a "tourist" in everyone else's threads, drool over their fantastic work, then find them visiting here as well (and with such kind words, too!)! :D

HS29--LOL--yeah, paint...hmmmm... On using the reference photos rather than drawing from imagination, I do that with virtually everything: for the EU characters, I'll pour through magazines/publications, looking for someone that "fits," in my mind's eye. Then I'll use that photograph as the portrait reference. Bodies "freehand" (without photographic reference) for me are extremely hard, too. I don't think I have a very good grasp of the mechanics of the human form yet, thus can't seem to capture it "freehand." For now, the photo thing seems to work. :)

THEFORCE16--Awww! [face_blush] Even little critiques--on technique, or anything, would be welcome! But thank you for the comments! :)

Kybo_Ren--Thank you for stopping by! Actually, the "model" for Kyp was the guitarist Nuno Bettencort: my husband is a musician, and had a magazine with his photo in it (as I said, I look everywhere for pictures that "fit!"), and it just struck me that his expression and look just seemed to scream "Kyp Durron!" Now I'm intrigued, though--I'll have to Google "Trent Reznor"--maybe there'll be other photos there I can use for future work! So, thanks for that, too! ;)

FF

10. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Wow...I can draw, but my scanner is a complete mystery to me. :p

These are wonderful.

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks, flowerbee, for stopping by! Yeah...my scanner is a mystery to me, too! :p
    And Kybo_Ren, you are sooo right! Bettencort and Reznor could almost be twins, in the photos I saw! Thanks for pointing it out! :)

FF

12. Kybo_Ren

Kybo_Ren Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 1999
    Glad to be of service *bows*
    :)

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Okay--after many days of having no time for drawing, I got this done tonight:

[image=http://img150.exs.cx/img150/6555/anakintahirinjo5ll.jpg]
    I wanted to do one of Anakin Solo, but for some reason didn't want him to be alone in the portrait--the obvious choice to pair him with was Tahiri Veila. I suppose this could have been prior to their ill-fated mission in "Star-by-Star..." :(

Thanks for the shading suggestion, HS29--I'm trying it out and I like it--a lot!! :D

FF

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    That is beautiful. My favourite of all your drawings.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's very good, FalconFan. I like it!

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks, Soits--are you a fan of A/T...? :D I really hated that they offed Anakin--bad plot device, IMHO... Glad you like it! :)

Thank you, LAJ_FETT--I appreciate your stopping in! Hope the forum hasn't been too "rowdy" while you're looking after it for our mod (and thanks for that, too! :D )!

Happy New Year, everyone! [face_dancing]

FF

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You're welcome..there are definitely rowdier boards than this one and Collecting!

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to join in with the crowd and say that that is my favorite thus far. Anakin really reminds me of a young Luke in that picture. Nice job on both of their features. I really like this one!

And I see the shading technique in there. ;) Lookin' good!

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    It's officially 2005! Happy New Year, everyone! Now...if I can just remember to write that on my checks...*huff-huff*

Man, I've been working late on some of this stuff! :p
    Leia, from ESB:

[image=http://img111.exs.cx/img111/7626/leiaesb5eq.jpg]
    Critique, please (it doesn't seem quite right, somehow--ideas?)!

Thanks again, HanSolo29--your technique is wonderful, and is great on the originals--but I need a better scanner to really show it here! [face_frustrated] Anakin looks like young Luke? That was unintentional--but I do seem to remember, in some NJO book somewhere, that there was a reference to the youngest Solo resembling his uncle... :D Thanks again for the comments!

FF

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    are you a fan of A/T...?

No, I don't read EU. Without wanting to come across as too shallow, I like it because it is pretty. There is a slightly idealised quality to your art which I tend to like - you may be trying to capture a likeness, but you'll try to make them look as good as possible, too.

I learned to draw from comic books when I was a kid, and they always look for the idealised image. When I studied art this became a bit of a problem for me ? my life-drawings were rather idealised, leading a friend to tell me I had made the model look like Superman. Faces were pretty much the same way for me. I like the things I draw to look pretty.

If you are having trouble with the Leia drawing (and I think it looks great, by the way) , it may be that you have made her look too beautiful. If you have a subconscious desire to make the face as beautiful as possible (and when I look at your E.U. pictures I?m struck by how well proportioned and symmetrical the faces you chose are) you run the risk of removing the imperfections that give a face it's character.

I love the way you're rendering the eyes in your drawings. That's what is striking me first when I look at your last two pictures. I'll bet they are your favourite part of the face to draw.

21. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    Crud. Can't see the A/T one. :( Don't you hate it when the thing you really want to see is the one thing you can't?

Oh, well. I'm sure it's beautiful. Everything else of yours is.

The Leia one, while good, I don't think it quite looks like Leia. There's something 'off' that I can't quite pinpoint. *shrug* Maybe it's just me.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, it was mentioned sometime in the books about Anakin resembling Luke. That's pretty awesome though if you did that all by accident. ;)

As for your drawing of Leia - I'll have to agree with flowerbee. It doesn't quite look like Leia. I think it may be the eyes. They seem a tad bit too large and possibly not the right shape. I don't know how to describe this next part, but they also see to look like sad puppy eyes. Leia doesn't really have that quality to her eyes. Other than that, the hair style, lips and proportions are great. The nose may be off as well, but I don't have a reference picture handy, so I can't tell for certain. But overall, it's a very well done drawing. :)

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ah, at last some critique! :) Yes, I agree with each of you that's looked over ESB Leia: I put it aside for a couple of days, and can see that the eyes are too big for the face and the nose is too small (comparing the reference photo to the drawing)--as it is, it might be more of the proportions of a child's face, rather than that of an adult. I think I'll get brave and try to "fix it" (put in more of the realistic "imperfections" that Soits suggested! :) ). I appreciate you taking a look and commenting, flowerbee and HS29--and I appreciate the help, as well!
    Hope everyone had a great holiday!

FF

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    For some reason I'm unable to view the last two pieces you posted, but I had to stop in and gush over the Jag/Jaina and Tahiri drawings. Wonderful!
    I agree with HanSolo29 that you really handled the foreshortened areas on Tahiri very well. What a fantastic result.

As one who has a lot of trouble with hands and feet, you really draw them good too. You make it look easy!

Hopefully I'll be able to view your other pieces soon. :)

25. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    Oh, now I can see it! Very pretty. :D

Do you mind if I link anyone over here? People in the fanfic forums would love these drawings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.