main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Falcon's Art--Index Pg.1--Replies and Update [04/05/09]: Darth Caedus... :(

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FalconFan, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I checked the links on both the last two pieces--they seem to be intact, but if there are still problems, I'll post them again (need critique, after all! :p ).

Thanks, Obi-Dawn, for your kind comments--I was just over "drooling" on your most recent Queen Amidala work...sigh...beautiful! And flowebee, feel free to link if you wish. BTW, you mentioned that you draw, too--we'd love to see some of your work! Even "mysterious" scanners can get work uploaded to share! :D Don't be shy! ;)

Been wrestling with DRL lately, so not much time for drawing...the revision attempt on ESB Leia may have to wait a while. Thanks to everyone who offers comments/critique--I appreciate it all! :D

FF

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The links seem to be working again. :)

And I hope you get everything sorted out with DRL. I know it can really be a pain sometimes. Good luck and I hope you have an update fairly soon. ;)

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oooooo! I can see them now! And they were worth the wait. :D ;)

I really admire how you drew Tahiri's face. The shading on her is beautiful and her eyes look so real. In fact, all of your faces have a realism to them that, I think, can be attributed to your talent for shading the shapes and planes correctly. They have volume and don't look 'flat'. Very nice.

I agree about Leia's eyes needing to look different somehow. Scaling them down in size is a good idea. Other than that, I think it's another wonderful representation of your artistic talent. Great!

I hope you wrestle DLR with ease. ;)

4. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Whew! Been dying to draw lately, and finally got some time! :p Got totally frustrated with the revision attempt on ESB Leia, so did another of Han Solo (from a photo of an older Harrison Ford).

[image=http://img65.exs.cx/img65/9007/njohan6hm.jpg]
    I want to thank HS29, our mod, for the "smudging and erasing" technique--I'm getting more comfortable with it as time goes on, and it's a lovely method for achieving better shading! DRL still lurks, so posting will probably be in fits and starts for a while--thanks to all who take time to come, take a look and comment/critique! :D

FF

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    :eek:

Omg, Falcon, that totally made my night. After having a bad day at work(smashed my finger in a freezer drawer and slammed a shelf down on my hand), it was a real treat to come on the boards and see that. Beautiful, beautiful job... Well, I may be bias here since it's Han, :p but it truly is an outstanding rendering. Excellent job! :D

Oh, and thanks again for giving my "smudge" method a try... [face_blush]

Also, don't give up on the drawing of ESB Leia, I would really love to see it completed! ;)

6. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Very good! Did you use charcoal for this? I don't know much about mediums in art... I know only pencils and crayons. hee! [face_pig]

7. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Hmmm, very good. I like the method you used-the look.

I would also like to see the ESB Leia potrait. (Not that I'm trying to badger, or anything horrible like that.)

8. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Hey...these are just beautiful. The way you bring ou the highlights in the hair is simply perfect. I'm not good at drawing faces on paper. They always turn out skewed, because I draw them away from me. Yours however, are beautiful. I love your renderings of the EU characters. Your talent is certainly appreciated!

By the way, in reference to a comment from earlier:

Some artists are content to bring out the most beautiful in people, but there are also artists whos work intentionally, and comically, brings out the worst in them. I went to Montmartre in Paris recently, and had my profile done by an artist there. He ignored my blemishes and pointedly beautified me. It gets them paid! And hey, it made a beautiful frame. I wouldn't have wanted to put up my picture if it showed -just- how spotty I had been that day, would I? No...it's definitely a talent to be able to do that. And I am impressed.

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Okay--here's the latest attempt on ESB Leia (had to trash the old one, as I scrubbed through the paper, trying to "fix it..." [face_worried] ). It still seems to have something wrong with the eyes, but I'm almost ready to give up on it altogether, and find a different photo to work from... AARRGH!!

[image=http://img124.exs.cx/img124/8003/esbleia21gk.jpg]

Thanks, Han, for the kind "gushing" on the last Han Solo drawing (I sort of figured you'd appreciate that one! ;) )--and I hope your hand is feeling better!!
    MasterSareBabe, thanks for your comments--I use graphite pencils exclusively in my drawings--the reason they "look darker" is that I level-correct them in my photo editing program before posting (my scanner just doesn't capture the original drawing properly, and they wash out when saved...).
    Thank you, flowerbee--it's HS29's technique, so I can't take all the credit! :p And where's your art?? Come on, don't be shy! ;)
    Greetings, TroubledAnakin--welcome to the forum, and thanks for stopping in and taking time to comment! To get a better angle for drawing a likeness, I use a technique someone else recommended (THEFORCE16 again...? :p ): I prop the tablet/paper up on something, and try to work as vertically as possible--this can help reduce the "skewing" you mentioned (I sometimes still get it, but this helps!). As to the "too pretty" critique from earlier, I think, for capturing a true likeness of someone, that sometimes
    inclusion of things like a facial assymetry or specific features (like Harrison Ford's chin scar--one of his signature features, I believe) can be necessary; so, the previous critique was useful and correct (for me, anyway! ;) ). I totally agree about bringing out the beauty of a subject--as artists, I think we all try to do that! We want our work to be beautiful, and to compliment the subject--but it can sometimes reduce the true-ness of a likeness, when taken too far! Thank you for your thoughts--I appreciate them a lot.

I'll apologize to everyone for having to "post and run," but I'm on my way out of town for two weeks (family visit, and no internet... :_| :_| ). Thanks for taking a look (critique, please!!), and best wishes to everyone! [:D]

FF

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea! The Leia drawing is back up! [face_dancing]

I do have to admit, it looks better, but I'm afraid you may be right. There is still something not quite right about it. I was staring at it for a while, trying to figure out what exactly is, but I just can't pinpoint it. But something I did notice is that she looks younger than how she appeared in the films. I don't know if this will help any, but just something I picked up on.

With that said, I realize how frustrating this can get after awhile. I probably would have crumpled it and thrown it in a corner long already. I give you credit for actually sticking to it. But, sometimes it's best just to set it down and forget about it for a while and move onto other things. ;)

Oh, and have a great trip and have fun! :D

11. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wow. Your stuff is amazing. Do you by chance do requests?

~~Jilly

12. BrotherTheFirst

BrotherTheFirst Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2005
    First off. These are all really well done. Excellent in fact. The Han Solo further up is right on the money.

Trying to capture the likeness of a familiar face (in my opinion) is one of the hardest tasks any artist can take on.

Have you taken any professional lessons in the past?

No matter what the subject is I always look at my work in a mirror. Forcing your eyes to look at the piece from a different direction helps with flow, dimension, etc. If there is something off you can usually catch it this way.

In regards to Leia. I think the problem is in the chin/lower cheek area. The ratio seems to be slightly off. I wish I could be more specific. Kind of like she needs to bite the inside of her cheeks very, very slightly and the wideness of her chin reduced (the pattern of shading on her chin could be throwing it off too).

This is my opinion. As soon as I brought the image up everyone here knew it was Leia so you?re on the right path.

Hope this helps.

edit: I just noticed the eyes have been in question further up in the thread. They are piercing and I think the shading may be overpowering the rest of the face.

note: This Leia is much closer to the first posted further back in the thread.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, FF, your new portriat of Leia is just beautiful. :)

The only thing that occurred to me while looking at it is that maybe her lower cheeks (under her bottom lip) are a bit too pouty or full. Not quite sure how to describe it. But your shading is so good at conveying volume and depth that they really seem full. All in all, I think it's really just a nitpick and the portrait is wonderful as is. ;)

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Whew! Finally made it home from my journey--it was long and exhausting (little nieces and nephews do that to their "aunties!"), and I'm glad to be home again. Thanks to those who have "visited" in my lengthy absence!

HS29--yeah, I agree about the most recent Leia being "not quite right." I suppose I got frustrated with it because the photograph is so beautiful, and I've been unable to capture the image. I'm going to take another "hack" at it, I think (no loss, as it's saved to disk, after all! :p ), since I've had some time not stewing about it constantly! Thanks for the critique--I appreciate it a lot.

JainaDurron--thank you for "stopping by," and for your kind words. As to doing requests, I haven't in the past, but might take a crack at one, if you have one! You can PM me or drop another note here if you like.

BrotherTheFirst--I appreciate your suggestion about the mirror--it's a technique I haven't used before (and I think our mod mentioned it, too, in the Art Class thread), and sounds intriguing. I usually turn things upside down and sideways, trying to "catch" things, as you pointed out, but have never tried the mirror. Thank you for that. As to the critique, again--thank you. I see what everyone has pointed out so far (having some time away from the piece has also helped), and will be taking another go at it, I think. As to professional training, it ended with college, which was *cough* some time ago! This is all just for fun and entertainment--but I am eating up the suggestions for improving (I'm a total perfectionist freak, and love to get better at things!). I appreciate your comments very much.

ObiDawn--thank you again for coming by to check things out--I really love your work and respect your suggestions/critique. As mentioned already, I see the problem with the chin/lower cheeks, and will be attempting a (-nother) revision! WOW on your Padme in the Art Class thread!! Whoowee, that's sweet! :D

Thanks, everyone--don't know when I'll get another chance to post, as it's still pretty nuts in DLR. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions!

FF

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I love your Art, especially the Jaina and Tahiri art, please do a Tenel Ka for me!

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome back, FalconFan! :D

I'm glad the critique was of some help to you. And when you do get back around to that Leia drawing, you know where you need to show it off. ;)

Take care with DRL and be sure to post up when you have the time. :)

17. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    FF- Those are incredible! Some of the best I've seen on here! :)

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Gosh--no sooner do I get back than everyone's visiting again! :p Thanks to all for stopping by!

CerianHarmony, thanks for your comments, and I'll take a stab at Tenel Ka--I may need to hunt up some details about her appearance (it's been a long time since I read the books with her in them...), but I'll give it a go! As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm pretty swamped by DRL lately, so it may be a while--try to be patient!

HS29, our faithful mod! Again, very grateful for your continued interest and support! It's great to have it! ;) The Leia revision may sit for a bit yet, but I will put it up again when I'm through with it (one way or another! [face_laugh] )!

Darth_Deception, thank you for taking a look, and for your kind words (like most artists, I tend to be insecure about the work, and it's nice to have the "strokes!")! I, myself, see countless examples of fabulous work of every medium here in the Art Forum--many of which humble my own efforts (and that is in no way self-deprecation, but the honest truth). There is much talent in all the threads, and we all appreciate your visits and comments! :D

FF

19. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Wow, superb Leia, FalconFan! You never cease to amaze!!

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Okay--this is the last, the absolute last time I'm messing with the ESB Leia--she's as good as I'm going to get her (on this drawing, anyway!).

[image=http://img148.exs.cx/img148/2332/esbleia27az.jpg]

I'm currently roughing out a Han piece for the Fan Art Challenge, and getting started on the Tenel Ka portrait that was requested earlier, and might even take a stab at Fan Art Class (droids?! Oh, noooooo!!! :D ).

Thanks, Cheveyo, for stopping in--man, I sure love to hang around in your thread! Your work is amazing! ;)

FF

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I think this latest attempt got her another step closer, FalconFan. The eyes look a LOT better. And I can imagine how frustrating this drawing was for you. Last night I decided to take a shot at the Fan Art Challenge and failed miserably. After smudging and constantly tweeking things, I let it sit. I think it had to do with the fact that I was drawing all day in class too. I needed a rest. :p

Anyway, glad to see you back in action and trying out the Fan Art Challenge. I can't wait to see this Han you're whipping up! :D

...and might even take a stab at Fan Art Class (droids?! Oh, noooooo!!!)

Tee hee! :D

Yea, I switched to something different other than human figures. Thought it might be nice to get some line work thrown in there. ;)

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Whew!! Been taking a much-needed break from the droideka (AAAARRRGH!!!!) :p and finished up the Tenel Ka portrait that was requested.

[image=http://img214.exs.cx/img214/3323/tenelkanjo9tc.jpg]

HS29, I feel your pain on the Han portrait you talked about working on for hours and then having to put aside: my latest attempt at our favorite former pirate/smuggler ended up in the trash! I made a complete mess of it and have to start over! Ah, the joys of trying to capture a likeness! [face_laugh] At any rate, if the droideka doesn't kill me (AAAAARRRGH!!!), I'll have another go at the Art Challenge Han...

FF

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Oh my GOD she is great, WONDERFUL just perfect! I love Tenel Ka, you are the greatest artist ever! THX ALOT

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I miss the rest of Tenel Kas Hot body but she looks awesome! if I may fill your time with my other requests, hehe, tell me!

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's beautiful, FalconFan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.