FALL JEDI DRAFT OF '06 (Winner: Shadow_of_Durron)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Suzuki_Akira, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm giving my vote to Malak. The guy's a beast. He's shown pretty good power, pretty good skill, and has very good experience. While it's true the trump might be able to match him in combined power, this is simply not a trump that works together like a well-oiled machine. Were this trump a slightly more natural trump or a slightly more cohesive trump, I'd probably vote in favor of the trump. However, this trump is not, and so I vote for Malak.
  2. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *throws tantrum*

Okay... that's better. I suppose I see where you're coming from, though I can't say I agree.
  3. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    At least I provide a judgment for you to disagree with.

:p
  4. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
  5. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ah, yes. That's makes oh so wonderful, then. Hey, lemme see your special bat. I need to, uh, check something.

proof?

proof?
  6. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5

I'm not going to go back just to copy and paste an argument to appease someone not in the game. If you really wanna know why I think Nihilus is a strong pick, take the same amount of time it would take me just to go back in the thread and find it. Afterall, you are the one who wants to know... If you're unwilling to do that, then just relax and wait for Nihilus to hopefully fight someone decent enough to warrant a debate.

As for this match at hand, I'm also going to go with Malak. I've heard the rumors since KOTOR II came out that Kavar was the one who gave Malak his injury, but without any clear cut evidence to prove that we can't take it into account. I agree that it would considerably raise Kavar's status here though. Anyways, we have Kavar and Arca going up against a beast of a Sith Lord. Malak gets overlooked a bit and actually underrated if you ask me after the showing he put on onboard the Leviathan stunning a powerful Jedi in Bastila and then proceeding to stand up to a near peaked Revan in a neutral environment.

I still LOL when Carth hollers, "Down you go!" at Malak.

I'm not saying that Malak is capable of beating Revan, but I do believe that there was a certain amount of overconfidence that hurt Malak on board the Star Forge. He was completely convinced that Revan couldn't beat him there, what with the Star Forge's dark side power and the other Jedi to draw upon. It cost him the fight, his empire, and most importantly his life but I do think he put up a decent fight all things considered against one of the greatest Force users of all time.

Kavar is certainly skilled and Arca has a lot of power, but I just don't see Malak being unable to pick it apart. He's more than powerful enough to stun Kavar and he's more than Arca can handle even for a few minutes, IMO. If we had more proof of power from Kavar that would put him on a level above that of Bastila I might be voting differently, but she's one of the most powerful Jedi of that era and Malak stunned her easily.

Winner: Darth Malak
  7. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    Two!

Up Your Arsenal (0-2) vs. Karate Kommandoes (2-0)

The Ganner vs. Bastila Shan trumped with Lady Githany

LET?S GET IT ON!!!
  8. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    this one could use arguments, IMO
  9. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
  10. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Meh. Kavar's shown some pretty decent Force stunnage as well. It's not as though he's unfamiliar with the technique. And Bastila ain't that powerful. But that's a merry go round that's circled around so many times it's just about broken down and I don't care to ride it again.

And this... yeah, I freakin' knew it. About the nastiest set of numbers imaginable. Of course Ganner doesn't nab the forfeit, which would've sent this to teams for sure (and what really snarks me is that he obviously could've). Could probably argue this one, actually, but it wouldn't be my strongest work. Though if you want to vote for the legend, be my guest. If not, might as well move on to the third set of numbers, because my guys blew this one.

EDIT: Okay, I'll give it a quick stab.

Ganner, IMO, is more powerful than either of them. Seen nothing out of Githany power-wise in JvS, and Bastila's overrated there (by myself included, in the past).

Ganner, IMO, is more skilled than either of them. Slicing off the hand of a man who isn't fighting back for personal reasons and slicing the leg off of a kid while he's busy fighting someone else is not the greatest display of skill. This should change next draft, but for now...

Bastila's better, but still not all that.

Ganner's got better experience as well. We know he can take multiple opponents at the same time.

The question is: Is he better than both of these two at the same time? Tough to say. It's possible that he could unleash the beast again with his back up against the wall. That being the case, he'd whip 'em. But can he?

Yeah... there ya go.

And also, both of those chicks are straight, and thus, they'd be distracted by The Ganner's glistening, rock-hard abs. Ganner's a sand panther out for a stroll. None shall pass.
  11. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not sure I'd give the previous match to Malak, although I'm not a judge, and D_I brought up a good point. That trump wouldn't work together extremely efficiently, with is the exact same case with this trump. A Sith and Jedi working as a trump isn't going to work well, although they've both switched philosophies at least once, so it's not entirely accurate labeling one or the other a Sith or Jedi, though the point is, this trump isn't going to work to maximum efficiency. Also, Bastila and Githany are average, a bit above average at best.

The only thing that set Bastila apart from the Jedi of her age is her ability to use Battle Meditation, which won't help her too much in this duel. The only other aspect that sets her apart from the other Jedi of her age is the fact that she accompanied Revan in his exploits during the Jedi Civil War, which isn't going to help her much either. Other than that, she's shown us nothing, she's been captured by Malak and the Black Vulkars, and has played the "sidekick" or "party member" role to Revan. She's seen action, that's obvious, though she hasn't done anything without the help of others, anything to prove she's powerful.

Githany as well, is above average at best. She's shown us little, she's defeated Sirak's cronies, and that's about it. Her only other slight advantage among most average Jedi/Sith is the usage of a lightwhip, which in this case isn't going to help her much as Ganner's seen weapons similar in Yuuzhan Vong amphistaffs.

Ganner has shown us quite a bit. Fighting as a frontline warrior in the Yuuzhan Vong War, was a member of the Myrkyr Strike Team, and displayed an incredible amount of power during his last stand. In my opinion, Ganner is more than capable of busting this trump.
  12. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, hey, I gotta admit, that's a helluva lot better than how I said it. Past few days have been long and draining, so my head's been a bit out of the game. But after reading that, I'm pretty surprised that I allowed myself to (sorta halfway) give up on that match. Surprised I forgot to mention things like the similarity between the amphistaffs and lightwhip, among others.

I must be slipping.
  13. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    WINDU: I'm not going to go back just to copy and paste an argument to appease someone not in the game. If you really wanna know why I think Nihilus is a strong pick, take the same amount of time it would take me just to go back in the thread and find it. Afterall, you are the one who wants to know... If you're unwilling to do that, then just relax and wait for Nihilus to hopefully fight someone decent enough to warrant a debate.

1.) Well, just to clarify, I never asked you to copy and paste an argument. In fact, I would've rather you didn't, since it would've been specific to whatever context it was originally in and not necessarily in direct support of your as yet unsubstantiated claim.

2.) Since when did judges seek only to "appease" those in the game? I mean, maybe things have changed, but in all fairness a judge shouldn't seek to "appease" anything but objectivity, i.e. provide the most fair and logical judgements possible for all those involved, and be prepared to defend or alter those judgements in light of challenges to the reasoning behind them. Only then can you be truly fair, and yet there will still be those who won't be "appeased". Considering I am not part of the game, and thus hardly have any bias team-wise, my challenging of your reasoning (which you actually have yet to present) takes on an even more objective nature.

3.) I actually did begin to go back in order to find the said argument and respond to it, but then I saw you voted Vodo Siosk-Baas and Thon over Jacen Solo and I laughed so hard I forgot what I was doing.

Wang: I must be slipping.

Hahaha, something like that. I actually think it's a really close one (considering I do have to give Bastila credit for fending off Revan/fighting Malak, even if she's not particularly spectacular in any of those) and certainly not one you should've been content to just let slide. Bastila (unlesss she's purely Dark Side, perhaps? Not canonical but I guess neither was Revan in the end, and he goes both ways) and Githany don't particularly mesh, and the latter doesn't even really provide much at all save for a distracting angle to aid Bastila-- and Ganner has plenty of experience with multiple opponents, even when he can't predict their movements through the Force.
  14. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    1) I know you didn't specifically ask, but that's all I'd be willing to do while he wasn't involved in a match and even then it's derailing the thread unnecessarily. I'd be more than willing to have the discussion via PM:)

2) You know what I mean, Ken. When GMs ask for a judge to back up their judgments I do it. They may not agree with me, but I give them that respect. It isn't a matter of disrespect of you in this instance, but it simply isn't relevant to get into a tangent on why Nihilus is indeed a strong pick. Actually the answer to why I'm not delving into this debate now is in your own statement. I'm not defending a judgment right now to my reasoning, there hasn't been a judgment to defend that would make the debate applicable. I'm not accusing you of being biased in this case, so I don't know why you brought that up. Once again, if you'd like to talk about it via PM I'm more than happy.

3) After a remark like that I'm supposed to delve into the complexities of Darth Nihilus' qualities as a solid pick in the Draft? Now I'm just questioning if you're even being serious.

Ganner Rhysode vs Bastila Shan trumped with Lady Githany

This one is a bit closer than I would think at first glance. Ganner has indeed shown us that he's capable of more than just a legendary last stand. He has some decent power and skill that he can probably draw on at any time, it just isn't going to be near his last stand levels. Githany hasn't shown us a whole lot that we can take into account, but she's another body with a weapon that isn't going to really hurt the trump but I don't see her helping a whole lot either. Really to me it comes down to Bastila and Ganner. I just don't see Ganner on the same level as Bastila. She's more skilled, has more power, and experience against other Force users. I also think Bastila is more reliable in those areas, especially power. Ganner comes and goes with what he can bring to the table, while we know what Bastila is capable of instead of trying to guess the happy medium between laziness and brilliance. Gotta give this one to the ladies...

Winner: Bastila Shan and Lady Githany
  15. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    3) After a remark like that I'm supposed to delve into the complexities of Darth Nihilus' qualities as a solid pick in the Draft? Now I'm just questioning if you're even being serious.

Oh WINDU, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about. ;)
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm going with teh Ganner (who's stock has really risen in my opinion during this draft). See Ron's post if you're curious as to why, and also because a guy who specializes in exceling when the odds are against him should be able to take out two average (at best) opponents.

Up to you Maxle.
  17. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    i'm siding with the integral one on this issue.
  18. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well all right, then. And here I was about to take a bath with my favorite toaster I was so depressed. His name is Toast'ems.
  19. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
  20. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    Toast is delicious, but Shurron toast? Not so much:p

Next round in a moment although it's all but a technicality at this point.
  21. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    One!

Up Your Arsenal (1-2) vs. Karate Kommandoes (2-1)

The Exile vs. Darth Sion

If Exile wins, then Durron is the champion. After this we would have a couple forfeits that would result in teams if Exile is victorious, Durron already won the team battle so no reason to hash it out again. If Sion could beat Exile, then it?s a 4-2 win for Clarke and we go to the third round? I don?t see that happening though, so as soon as a judge will verify that Exile> Sion we can begin the parades, hand shakings, and congratulatory remarks that are typical!
  22. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  23. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree. Congrats to Durron, he's won every damn draft on the JC I believe. If you want, you'll be given a guaranteed spot in the next draft.

I truly enjoyed being the commish for a good bit of this draft, if you guys feel I did a satisfactory job I'd love to give it another shot. If not, then maybe I'll throw another team together as a GM and tr to win another one of these things but that's up to what everyone feels about how things went as I ran the thread.

Speaking of next draft, there are some changes I'd like to implement if agreed upon by the mods of this forum. If they'd like to do so in a dedicated thread that would be great and if they'd rather do it via PM then that's fine as well. There are a number of things I feel that will increase participation, improve discussion, and motivate GMs to stick it out and pull hard for their squad.

I'd like to have the next one up and running in about two weeks if I am to be the Commish, so hopefully we can meet that goal which would be right around 1/26.

Once again, congrats to Durron. I remember you as a rookie and you've come a long way and certainly deserve it. ClarkeWayne did a fantastic job as a rookie getting his team this far, hopefully he'll be back as well!
  24. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wheeeeeeeee! :p

But yeah, great game, CW. Awesome job on making it this far your first time out.

And no, now there's another draft that I have to win to collect the whole set... and probably yet another popping up pretty soon as well. Job's not done yet. :(

As for next draft. Yeah, I can see some additions that need to be made, and maybe some other stuff. I'll save that junk for later, though.

Not sure yet if I'll be using that spot, or doing a judge thing maybe, or whatever. Depends on what the rest of my draft plate is looking like when it comes around.
  25. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    WINDU ... PM me with the thoughts/suggestions for the next draft, and we'll decide from there if we want a new thread, use this thread, or do it all behind closed doors.

Congrats to Shadow_of_Durron

Every type of draft that has crowned a winner, he's won. Simply amazing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.