main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Fallen - Obi-Wan *Updated 5/8/16 New Post!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by serendipityaey, Nov 12, 2013.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Obi-Wan's concern over Anakin - very well-written =D= Aala's meeting with Mace :cool: But the Aala/Obi scenes -- melty nummy nummy! [face_love] You have a way of evoking and detailing the emotions that is just-just-right! SQUEE! Tender and teasing and just plain delightful!

AzureAngel2 and serendipityaey like this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    There are so many parts about this I enjoyed that I don't know where to begin. I loved the plot in this piece - her conversation with Mace, and new job as liaising for Intelligence to the council was a very interesting development, and bound to lead to all sorts of interestingness in the future. [face_thinking]

I feel bad for Obi-wan having to talk to Anakin in the future - especially in light of his own dealings. The whole thing is sad, how Aala can't confide in Padme, or vice versa because of the rules in place. :(

But, the best part of this was your Obi-wan/Aala interaction. Their bantering was just fun to read, and they are one of those couples that just feels write. Your writing for them is just beautiful and flowing, and I love it to pieces. [face_love]

Once again, thank-you for sharing, and I can't wait for more. =D=

3. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Viridian-Maiden Thank you so much! I'm so glad you're reading. Please let me know what you continue to think! Your story is wonderful! It fits in perfectly here

Nyota's Heart Thank you so much! I Love writing the tender teasing scenes, so glad you enjoy! Thanks for your awesome comments [:D]

Mira_Jade Thank you!! Awesome comments! Aala and Padme do have an interesting round about convo coming up so that made me smile! It is sad, I stuck to canon mostly so, yeah, sad :( But my goal was to bring some light to Obi's life in the present and future, so I'm really glad you enjoy their interactions. Thank you so much!!

This is one of my favorite chapters - it is sad, but it marks the pivotal event in their relationship that sets them on the path to being able to have more, so don't fear! Anyway, I hope you enjoy, please let me know what you think. Thank you for reading!

~________________________________________________~​

Tiredness pulled at the edges of her senses, making them dull, strained. Gripping the contact stunner in her pocket, Aala picked up her pace as she passed a group of rowdy teenagers, and forced herself to focus. The problem with this level, a few levels further down than she usually liked to travel, was that it was right in the middle of two worlds. High enough to assuredly purport how safe and popular it was, and in the daylight she was sure it was, mostly, but low enough to attract some of the more outgoing residents that usually stayed below. The ones looking for trouble. Especially when it was dark, like now.

Neon purple and blue lights lit up the nearly deserted streets and reflected off the rain slicked duracrete. It was pouring. Water collected on the buildings and skyscrapers above, then fell in big cold drops to the levels below, making it even more miserable than the steady shower above.

Pulling her jacket tighter around her body, she tried to keep out the pervasive chill, all the while trying not to think about her lovely, cozy apartment. The apartment she hardly ever saw anymore as the war raged on. She'd only returned home from Alderaan last night and was due to leave for the outer rim the day after tomorrow to follow an intelligence lead on Praesitlyn.

Reaching the establishment that was her unfortunate destination for the night, Aala caught a glimpse of her reflection as she opened the glass door of the dingy diner. She had dark circles under her eyes and her skin looked washed out and ashy. Her messy hair was wet now, too, and clung to the sides of her face. Why, in the name of all that was sacred, would Obi-Wan ask her to come out on a night it was scheduled to rain.

She'd had plans. She was going to take a bath, curl up with a good holobook and then promptly fall asleep.
    'And why is he here of all places?' She thought to herself, starting to get annoyed.

'And where is he?' Standing just inside the doorway, she felt like stamping her foot in frustration when, finally, she spotted him at a booth in the back corner.

Her heart skipped a beat. And she had thought she looked bad.

Slowly, taking off her jacket, she made her way toward him. In her mind, she quickly flipped through everything she'd heard in the past 48 hours. As far as she knew, his last mission had ended successfully. She'd actually seen Anakin just that morning and she was sure, almost entirely sure, her sister was safely tucked away in her expensive penthouse at 500 Republica. But things could change.

"What can I getcha?" A service droid rolled by as she sat down in the booth opposite him.

"Coffee's fine." She answered without taking her eyes off of Obi-Wan. "Hi."

"Hello." He nodded politely, but there was no warmth in his expression, no happiness with her arrival. His face was pale, and he looked like he literally hadn't slept in days.

Perplexed, she regarded him closely, thinking she had never seen him look quite like this before. "It's really coming down out there," she said, pulling her hair back from her face.

"Hmm." Uncharacteristically subdued, he looked out the window, up toward the dark sky, but she could tell he wasn't really taking note of the weather. Utterly lost in his own thoughts, he wasn't projecting anything and he wouldn't meet her inquisitive gaze. There was nothing; no emotion to indicate to her what he was thinking.

Well, this was just irritating. "What's up, Kenobi?"

Startled, he blinked and looked at her. It was like he was trying to meditate; did he forget she was even there? "Oh. I just wanted to see you."

Right.

His attempt at a smile was pathetic. She had a perfectly nice, warm, dry apartment. With a bed. There was no logical reason to be out here on a night like this. She was at a complete loss. Never before had she seen him act this distracted.

Not knowing what else to do, she sat in silence with him until her coffee came. "Sorry," she stopped the waitress, "can I get some milk?"

He watched her as she fixed her coffee. The rain pattered against the window, softly drumming a lulling beat. She wondered if he was ever going to say anything at all.

As she brought the steaming mug to her lips, he finally broke his silence. "Why did you choose this life, Aala?" he asked her softly.

"What? Politics?" she asked confused.

"No..." he shook his head. "This. Us."

She laughed it off. "I'd hardly call you a 'way of life', Obi-Wan. How often do we even see each other?"

The expression on his face remained the same, unamused and just as serious as before. He actually wanted a real answer.

Shrugging, she tried to keep her tone casual. "You make it easy for a girl like me," she answered flippantly, "–no commitment, no expectations, no pressure."

He wasn't buying. And she had a bad feeling she knew exactly where this conversation was headed. But how the hell could he know? She'd never uttered a word, never even hinted at it. Damn Jedi.

He looked at her intently, and she felt like he was reading her as easily as he would a progress report on the battlefront.

"Something happened." He was in full Jedi mode now. She knew he used that when he was upset, stolidly keeping his feelings at bay.

"Yeah." Exasperated, she answered as if it should be obvious. "I was in a shuttle crash that very nearly ripped me in two."

"No, no. Not that."

Aala groaned, her shoulders slumping and she frowned at him. "I don't ask you about your other lovers," she huffed.

"I don't have any other lovers."

"Ex-lovers, then."

A flash of pain crossed his worn features.

"Nevermind," she said quickly, grimacing. Jedi Obi-Wan she knew. She could deal with him. This other Obi-Wan, the moody one, he made her nervous. She took a drink of her coffee and swallowed; his face was impassive again. He was practically staring her down and she changed her mind. This was General Kenobi, but there would be no negotiations here. He wanted information and he was going to get it.

Aala gave a resigned sigh. "I've never told anyone this." She warned him, hoping he would back down. "It's not even that important, I just – " She broke off and he nodded, indicating she should continue. Closing her eyes, she drew a deep breath and shook her head, steeling herself against having to relive something she'd much rather just leave in the past. "After I graduated, I met someone. He was charming and smart and I thought I was in love.

"It went really fast, and after a few months he asked me to marry him. He was... very... traditional. He wanted to ask my father's permission and everything – thank the Force I talked him out of that.

"Anyway, we started planning a wedding, and we were engaged and deliriously happy," she said sarcastically, "and one day we were out, at dinner or something, and he started talking about how he wanted a boy and a girl and how he hoped they looked like me..." she almost smiled sadly at the memory, it was such a sweet sentiment, at the time, but she stopped herself and shrugged, "I realized – I hadn't told him. It was stupid of me, I know. It was my own fault, but I didn't know what to say. He was so – I don't know – eager...

"So, I just came out and said it. I explained what happened. And he left."

"He left." Obi-Wan said it resignedly, as if he had known the punch line all along, had been dreading it and he scrubbed his hand across his face.

"He wasn't angry or upset, he just said he wanted a family and he couldn't marry me and then he just got up and left."

"I'm sorry. That's terrible." He said it sincerely, and she looked up at him. It meant a lot to her that Obi-Wan offered comfort, not rejection, that he always had, but she didn't know how to put that into words. And there it was once more on his face. Deep pain. Loss.

Those feelings flooded into her. That moment, from long ago of the man she thought she loved walking away from her replayed in her head so clearly, it was as if it was happening again. She studied a nick on the table, unable to meet Obi-Wan's eyes. "He made me feel worthless. Like I had no value as a person, as a woman...," her voice faded away until she was almost whispering; it was so hard for her to say this out loud. "I thought he loved me and he just walked away, like I was nothing to him."

She took a deep cleansing breath and shook her head, trying to clear away the bad memories. "And I pretty much gave up on men. And love."

"You don't think you'll ever get the chance to be happy." It was a brutally honest statement and it fractured the last of her composure.

"Don't put words in my mouth." She snapped at him. "I'm happy."

"You don't look happy."

"Because you're acting like a crazy person!" She was rapidly losing her patience with this situation and his lack of candidness.
    "Obi-Wan. What happened?"

He paused, staring at his hands. "A friend, a close friend, passed on."

"Who?" Apprehension crept into her voice.

"You don't know her." He answered quietly.

"Obi-Wan..." she let out the breath she hadn't realized she was holding, "oh, I'm so sorry." She wanted to reach out to him, in some way, but he offered her nothing. She thought about what little he had said, what he had asked her, put the pieces together one by one in her head... "I'm sorry." she repeated.

His grief seemed to well up in him, threatened to overflow. She could feel it herself, as if it were her own and she knew it well. It had been a year since Obi-Wan had been presumed dead, but she would never forget what she had gone through those first couple of days. He clutched his coffee cup tightly in his hands, so hard she worried he was going to break it.

Her heart sank. It felt heavy in her chest and the words were spilling from her mouth before she could stop herself. "You loved her."

"I loved her." He said it so softly, she almost didn't hear and she didn't think he was talking to her anymore.

"Why did you call me?" She was speaking again, without thinking. The question had fallen from her lips before she could consider whether it might be better to just keep it to herself.

He looked at her, his eyes wide and she realized the way that must have sounded.

"I don't – I don't mean that. I just... Obi-Wan, I don't know anything about love," she said sadly, "... the one time I tried, I utterly and completely failed."

What was she supposed to say? What was she supposed to be feeling right now? Jealousy? Compassion? Pain? The only thing she knew she felt was completely overwhelmed. What did he want from her? Whatever it was, she was pretty sure she couldn't provide it.

The pang of heartbreak, his heartbreak and hers from so long ago, swirled together inside her. It was sharp and raw, and it made it hard to breathe. She felt a tear slip over her cheek and hastily, she brushed it away. Surely, it would be misunderstood.
    "I have to go." Gathering up her jacket, she carelessly dropped a few credits on the table and stood. He didn't look at her. "I – I'm sorry."

She turned to leave, feeling like the walls were about to collapse on top of her. But as she started to walk away, she forced herself to stop and turn back to him. Blinking back her tears, she covered his hand with her own. "Obi-Wan. If you need me, you can call. Anytime." Hollow words, she knew, from a woman who was about to walk out, but she just didn't know how to deal with this, not right now.

He was staring outside again, into the darkness, watching drops of rain slide down the glass window pane. She thought she saw him nod. Biting her lip, and hating herself, she turned away from him again. Tears fell unbidden down her cheeks; if she could only get outside, they would mix with the rain and wash away. Hurriedly, she made her way to the door and left.

He didn't call.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you know what? That was a very good question: Wy did he call her anyway? If he wanted comfort, he sure didn't act like he was benefiting from it, and didn't give her any clues as to what he expected or needed. Then to dredge up her own awful aborted first love :rolleyes: Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do, but :p I think I would have left too. (Not because Obi grieved for a lost love and was having what-if/if only feelings) but because, despite calling Aala, he didn't really open up to her. :confused:

Very well written and eagerly! awaiting more! =D= =D=

5. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    You've hit the nail on the head for sure! He needed her support but he could not find a way to open up,to her and that frustrated her beyond what she was prepared to deal with. He called her because he loves her, but neither have quite fit all the pieces together in working order ;) Never fear tho, they are both loving, smart beings :)

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh . . . but this update read like a punch to the gut. :(

First off, I loved your introduction. The gritty, grimy, neon-lights feel with the city and the rain was just the perfect setting, and I was fully immersed in your scene. And then . . .you could tell from the first moment that something was wrong. I couldn't get a read on Obi-wan, just like Aala here, and then when I understood what was happening - ow. Her past experience with her previous love hurt to read, and then to see Obi-wan just sit there like that . . . It made more sense when we realized that he was mourning Siri's passing here (I inferred that correctly, I hope! :p) - he very clearly was looking for someone to talk to, and hoping even for her to take an edge off of his pain, but he didn't quite know how to open up to her. My poor, broken Jedi! And poor Aala! My heart just hurt for them both here. :(

But I look forward to them sorting out their feelings, and understanding this night a little more when they have the clarity of time and a fresh set of eyes on their side.

This was a wonderful update, and a great moment to build and round both of their characters. =D=[:D]

7. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Mira_Jade I know! It's so sad, wah! At the time, it was such a breakthrough for me, it was the first new piece I wrote after letting the story sit for almost 10 years! And it was the moment I knew I could actually figure out a way to give them something more in canon :) So I hope that's some comfort. It's all up from here. A climb, but up.

So glad you liked the setting and the tone, that was hugely important for me to try and get right. You did infer right! Although now it could apply to Satine as well. I'm glad it's easy to see they are both hurt - neither is meaning to hurt the other but their both on the brink of being faced with the fact that they each care so much about the other, and they're both fumbling a bit with the pieces. It's a lot for both of them to come to terms with. A little thought and perspective will go a long way.

Thank you so much! Your words mean a ton for me! I hope you aren't upset with me for the sads! It will make them both stronger for each other for what they're going to have to face later :)

Thanks!

8. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Two desperate and lone people who don't know how to make each others hurt go away.
    Thanks for the reminder about loving writing, these boards are a bit slow for me I've gone back to ff.n
    You always write great stories keep them going.=D=

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Due to Gkilkenny I discovered this story. Hope I will not be to busy packing and unpacking moving boxes the next weeks. Please but me on your update list!

serendipityaey and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Great fic :) Please add me to the update list for this one :)

EG

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart Mira_Jade Once again, thank you so much!!

Thank you! They do really want to help, but they'll have to figure out how. Times are so tough now. Thanks for the comment! [:D]

Thank you!! So glad you discovered it! Please let me know what you think :D Thanks for the comments!

Thank you! I really appreciate it, so glad you like [face_love]

~________________________________________~​
    Padme and Aala talk. Obi-Wan and Anakin talk. They both do a lot of thinking and fate steps in to lend a helping hand.

The previous chapter was a difficult and challenging, yet gratifying one for me as a writer - a true turning point for the characters and me as a writer, if you have any thoughts at all about Chapter 12 especially, or the others, I would be overjoyed to hear. Thank you for reading.
    Also please check out Nyota's Heart 's new story here! Treasured Moments. Vig Series. Obi-Wan/OC.

Aala lounged across her sister's perfectly made bed, her head propped on her hand, while she skimmed over messages on her datapad. The afternoon sun threw a rectangle of warm light through the window and across the floor. Padmé was packing, her traveling case perched at the end of the bed, and they were having a disjointed conversation as her sister moved back and forth from her closet to her room.

"You should come with me," Padmé offered, folding a dress and placing it neatly inside her case.

Aala arched one eyebrow, a disbelieving look on her face.

"I'm going to Naboo first." She explained. "It would be good – all of us together. It's been too long."

"I have to work, Padmé." Aala said flatly, her attention returning to her datapad.

"I'm sure Bail won't mind if you're gone for a day or two."

"Padmé," she said, slightly exasperated, "I don't just work for Bail, anymore, you know that." I think... "I can't just leave Coruscant on a whim." She was protesting, but already was starting to consider the idea. How long had it been since her family had sat down together at one dinner table? Longer than she'd like to admit. She didn't regret leaving her family to go to Alderaan, but she knew she should've come home to visit more often. As she grew older, she was starting to realize how important that really was to her.

"Sorry!" Padmé called from the closet, but she was smiling when she emerged.

Frowning, Aala sat up. "And why does everything always have to be on your schedule?"

"Calm down, Aala," she teased. "I just thought it would be nice." And she disappeared again.

Aala sighed. "I'll have to check. But I could probably work something out."

"Oh, good. I've missed you." Padmé smiled warmly coming back into the room with a pile of clothes draped over her arm.
    Pensive, Aala watched her fold and pack. "I've been talking to Sola a lot, lately."

"Oh?" Padmé said. "What about?"

Aala thought for a moment. She'd never felt loneliness like she had when she'd walked out of that stupid diner a few weeks ago. She'd sabotaged her first relationship – despite the fact that young man had turned out to be a jerk, if she'd been more mature, honest with him, it would not have played out the way it had. She hadn't told him, because she had wanted to pretend it never happened. But that was no way to deal with life.

Now she had an inkling she had struck again. She just hadn't realized there had been a relationship to ruin until it was too late.
    Her answer to Padmé, however, was purposely vague. "Everything..." she trailed off.

Padmé gave her a questioning look.

"Big sister's are good for that, you know," she hinted cheerfully.

Padmé smiled back. "I know," she replied. Sitting down across from her, she must have sensed Aala wanted to talk, but she didn't take advantage of the offer to go first.

Time to up the ante. "I guess I've been a little lonely, lately," Aala admitted, tracing the pattern on the coverlet with her finger.

"You're always welcome here." Concern shone clearly on Padmé's face. "I thought you liked being alone?"

"I do... What about you? I know you've always wanted a family." Aala had meant to have this conversation with her sister a long time ago, but she hated to pry, and she could never quite figure out how to bring it up. Maybe this was her opportunity.

"The war makes it hard." Padmé said a little sadly, but then she smiled. "Besides you need a husband for that."

"Not necessarily... you just need – some sort of male."

Padmé laughed, her eyes shining with amusement. "Aala, you're so odd." She shook her head. "I want children, and a home, and a husband."

"Okay, but that all starts with a man."

"And the war makes it hard." She repeated.

They were arguing in circles, not unusual for them. Instead, Aala decided to try a direct approach. "What about Anakin?" she asked. "You two seem close."

Padmé seemed to think about it. Was she contemplating how close they were or how close she should tell her they were? "We are, I suppose. We're friends. But he's a Jedi."

"Maybe things will be different when this war ends," Aala said it softly, suddenly wondering to herself if that were a real possibility.

"Maybe." Padmé stared out the window for a moment. "You're a friend of Obi-Wan's. I wonder what he'd say... I consider him a friend, but he's so disciplined. I can't imagine him wanting to change anything. He's always so ordered, in control."

Padmé spoke of him like he didn't have feelings. Was that how Aala had perceived him? Treated him? Why else would she have been so caught off guard by his grief? "Not always..."

Padmé looked at her curiously. "You know from experience..."

Aala hesitated. If she was open it might encourage Padmé to reciprocate. Then again, if she knew they were close, she might not want to confide in her at all. It suddenly seemed immensely important she say the right thing. Aala did not like to gamble, but she was left with no choice.

"Yes," she answered finally.

Padmé smiled teasingly, unaware of Aala's internal struggles. "So, you have a vested interest in things changing?"

"Of course not," Aala answered too quickly, and she chided herself for always being so defensive. "I never wanted to raise a family." She clarified. "I enjoy being an Aunt. Anyway, Obi-Wan and I didn't part on the best of terms last time we saw each other."

"Does that account for this bout of loneliness?"

"I suppose it does." She studied her sister. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"If things changed tomorrow, would you marry Anakin?"

Padmé paled. "I –," she pressed her hand to her cheek slowly. "I don't feel well," and then she was rushing to the 'fresher.
    "Padmé!" Aala exclaimed, surprised. "Are you alright?" she asked when her sister came back in the room.

"I'll be okay," Looking tired, Padmé sat back down on the bed.

"I'll go," gathering her things, Aala glanced worriedly at Padmé. "I"ll call you later?" she asked as she headed for the door.

"Sure, I'm fine. I just need to rest."

He had only wanted to rest. Instead, Obi-Wan found himself sitting alone at a table in the back. Again. Having been coerced into coming to this Force forsaken hole in the wall by Anakin, he was now rather annoyed Anakin was across the room in deep conversation with Rex instead.

He took a long pull from his bottle of ale and seriously considered slipping out while Anakin was otherwise occupied.

That was exactly when Anakin chose to look up at him and he gave him a knowing look.

Well, so much for that.

Sitting alone, with no chance of escape, Obi-Wan allowed himself a rare moment of becoming lost in thought. A certain blue eyed woman crossed his mind. Which prompted the thought of another.

He was going to call her, he had meant to weeks ago, but then he had been called away. Anyway, it never seemed to go well when one of them sought the other out. It was better to wait for their paths to cross of their own accord, naturally. And cross they did. Once, she had literally tripped over him in the plaza. He recalled her shocked expression when she had ended up sprawled in his arms after she had fallen, and he hadn't been able to help the affectionate laugh that escaped as color blossomed high on her cheeks. Ah, before the war. Such a long time ago.

This thing between them, whatever it was, had truly snuck up on him. He had never planned to forge a relationship with her. It had been so easy - it was always there, always unreserved and accessible. He had listened to the living Force, made a single decision at a time and somehow found himself repeatedly back in her arms.

There had been no moment of fiery passion to warn him, no final ultimatum or declaration of undeniable love.

At the time – times – he had only been temporarily seeking solace with an enigmatic, caring young woman. Sharing a brief pleasure with a dear friend. Accepting comfort, in a time of war, with an equal partner. 'Excuses or reasons?,' he wondered.
    But only now he realized, somewhere along the way, she had become so much more. Something unexplainable. It was as if recent events had awoken a part of him he had forgotten was there.

And on a dark night, he had come to her, needing her comfort, but he'd asked for a great deal and offered very little in return. It was unfair of him to expect her to help carry that particular burden.

In truth, he had called her because he needed to know where they stood – face her forthrightly and see what he felt, but it had been much harder than he anticipated to open up and he'd alienated her in the process. When she had walked in that door, she had looked exhausted and irritated and beautiful. And he couldn't think.

He had purposefully avoided her lingering gaze, keeping his thoughts to himself and yet his curiosity about her own complicated feelings had compelled him to press her for answers she didn't have. He had let himself question something he had decided a long time ago didn't matter – she was free to make her own decisions, if she decided to be with him and not with someone else, that was her prerogative and it should be of no bother to him.

But he had forgotten that, and so he'd practically forced her to share something immensely private, dredging up an old wound.'Worthless,' she'd told him. The word rung in his head, like the clang of a sword.

And the pain written clearly in her eyes, combined with his own heartache, had caused him to loose control of his emotions and he had likely scared her away but good. He was afraid he had asked far too much of her.

Two things were plainly clear to him now, weeks later. He cared deeply for her and he had hurt her. But there wasn't much he could do about it from the Outer Rim.

Breaking him from his thoughts, Anakin slid into the booth across from him, a cheeky grin on his face. "Want to talk about it?"

Obi-Wan shot him a stern, unpleasant look. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Anakin chuckled.

"I thought not." Obi-Wan said irritably.

"Look, I only came over here because you looked lonely. If you don't want my company, I'll leave. You're no fun anyway, Master."

Had he really become that surly and unpleasant to be around? 'Yes,' said the voice in the back of his head. "I'm sorry, Anakin. I have a few things on my mind."

"So, it is trouble with a girl."

"Hardly." Obi-Wan muttered. "You have a lot of experience with that?"

"Not as much as you it seems," Anakin smirked.

"A friend," Obi-Wan replied vaguely. "I'm afraid I've hurt her." Anakin didn't need to know any of the details of his personal life – he didn't think he would want to know the details of his.

"Trail of broken hearts, huh?" Anakin asked.

"Not exactly." He couldn't break something that was already broken. But despite her broken heart, he was irrevocably certain... he loved her. Sadly, it was irrelevant if she didn't return the sentiment. And it was only the truth of the matter that allowed him to admit it in the first place – if the Force asked him to let her go, he now knew for certain, from experience, he could.

The sound of Anakin's voice brought him back from his thoughts. "Master Qui-Gon told me something once..." he started.

"Oh?"

"He said 'Stay in that cockpit.'" Anakin paused dramatically, then smiled. "And I did, sort of. The point is – perspective is everything."

Well, that made no sense. Maybe he was rubbing off on him after all.

And Anakin was still grinning, apparently very pleased with himself. "I'm going to get a drink. Do you want another?"

"No, thank you. I think I'll just sit here and ponder the importance of perspective."

"Alright then." Anakin stood up. After he ordered his drink he fell into another conversation with a pilot at the bar. He wasn't coming back. Obi-Wan sighed quietly. 'I'd rather be alone, anyway.'

Aala Naberrie loved the freedom of being alone. It had always meant she did what she wanted, when and how she wanted. She loved her father dearly, and he and her mother had parented with great love and affection, and with strict rules and high expectations. Sola and Padmé had flourished. Aala had always felt different.

So, under the guise of chasing lofty dreams, Aala left for Alderaan. Beneath the bright blue skies of the liberal-minded planet, she had the freedom to grow into her own. She studied and worked and read and thought.

Then on her way to a symposium in another city the shuttle she was in crashed and she didn't remember anything for a long time after that. Suddenly, she had felt very vulnerable and very alone.

So, with her body broken, craving stability, she had sought out the one stuffy, conservative young man on the planet. And she had played the part, been exactly who he wanted her to be, until she couldn't pretend anymore.

And so, with her heart broken, she found herself back at square one. Different. Alone in a crowd. Not good enough.

With a steely resolve, she decided fickle, unpredictable love was not for her. She didn't want a family. She didn't want a husband. She would be successful on her own terms. She would do what she wanted, when she wanted and the rest be damned.

And then she'd almost lost her life again in an entirely different way – her sister, her family, her home – and her world was spinning out of control. Desperately, she had grabbed on to the first solid thing that had crossed her path. And made the same mistake a second time. Because as strong and independent as she was trying to be, sex still wasn't meaningless to her. So, she'd entered into another intimate relationship without being honest up front.

But Obi-Wan was different. Obi-Wan was caring and compassionate and understanding.

Aala lay in bed, alone, in her quiet apartment. She liked the freedom of being alone. It meant she could go to bed when she wanted without being woken by someone coming in later – only she couldn't seem to fall asleep.

It meant she could stretch out and have all the space she wanted – except she hadn't been able to bring herself to sleep in the middle of the bed since the war had begun.

It meant she could have the blankets to herself, without having to share. It was just – nothing could keep her quite as warm in her chilly apartment, in the middle of the night as Obi-Wan's warm, solid body wrapped tightly around her own.

Obi-Wan.

Lying on her side, Aala smoothed her hand across the cool sheet next to her where Obi-Wan was not.

That miserable night he had come to her, as a friend, expecting kindness and compassion and understanding in return. But she had been ill-prepared because of her own selfishness, her own short-sightedness. She had never considered he had loved, never imagined he could hurt that absolutely.

But it wasn't his feelings she couldn't deal with, it was her own. So, regrettably, she had left, because she knew he was stronger than her, that he could do it alone.

The burn of her mistake could be felt even now, hot and shameful. She had no idea how to make this right. It would likely be ages before she had the chance, anyway. He hadn't called, and she was sure he had no desire to see her. But now she knew she did care about him. More than she ever could have imagined, more than anyone else.

Alone in her empty apartment, she resolutely decided she would face her fears and insecurities head on. And she would be whatever he needed her to be.

Aala closed her eyes, sighing softly to herself. She was pretty sure that would entail very little, for quite awhile.

Sitting at her small desk at SBI, Aala poured over endless intelligence reports. She read through every report she could get her hands on looking for anything, everything, reading between the lines and searching for the impossible – a clue, an answer. When she wasn't working on something specific, when Bail didn't need her, this was what she did. She sat in this claustrophobic room, with bad lighting and read reports. Sometimes for hours.

The door opened suddenly and she started, letting out an undignified squeak in surprise.

"Sorry," Captain Dyne apologized. "I uploaded new reports to your file. Brilam, Outer Rim. The Assistant Prime Minister is defecting. I"ll brief you in the morning and you can leave right after that."

"Fine," she answered shortly, trying to regain her sense of professionalism. "Who's leading?"

He checked the datapad in his hand. "General Kenobi."

"Of course." Aala cursed under her breath, her shoulders slumping. Thankfully, Dyne hadn't heard her as he shut the door behind him.

She felt like banging her head on the desk, but somehow found the strength to restrain herself. Sighing deeply, she shut down her terminal, deciding to call it a night. The Galaxy, it seemed, had a plan of it's own.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent =D= =D= So many levels and layers of things said and unsaid in each scene. Everyone is so defensive against their own :oops: what did I do? That they're shutting the other person out. :( Guilt and sadness and a sense of "Did I wreck it for good?" is a thick barrier to work through. [face_thinking]

13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Padmé laughed, her eyes shining with amusement. "Aala, you're so odd." She shook her head. "I want children, and a home, and a husband."

"Okay, but that all starts with a man."

"And the war makes it hard." She repeated.

I like that you show the way the war effects people in private. Not only describe big battles, but the silent dramas going on.

Nyota's Heart and serendipityaey like this.
  14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This chapter is so ripe with character development that I do not even know where to begin. Once again, your subtle, light hand with your writing is just a joy to read. =D=

To start, I loved the conversation between the sisters - especially when it came to their respective relationships. It hurts that they cannot talk about things more in the open - they both have exactly the same thing to say to each other, in a way, and I am glad that they could at least touch the edges of what was really bothering the other. "And the war makes it hard" from Padme was true in more ways than one - not for the finding, but for the keeping. :(

And this . . .

"Maybe." Padmé stared out the window for a moment. "You're a friend of Obi-Wan's. I wonder what he'd say... I consider him a friend, but he's so disciplined. I can't imagine him wanting to change anything. He's always so ordered, in control."

Padmé spoke of him like he didn't have feelings. Was that how Aala had perceived him? Treated him? Why else would she have been so caught off guard by his grief? "Not always..."

EXCELLENT character moment. I loved the light bulb going off here. [face_love] =D= Obi-wan realizing that he too wasn't precisely fair to her in their relationship was perfect too - but that's the care and concern that is the core of their relationship, and it will always pick themselves up and wind them together as long as that is the case. [face_love]

interesting too, how 'alone' was a theme of its own here, not only in a romantic sense, at that. These are four strong characters who stand on their own two feet - but war is more than just battlefields, as the poster above me said, and you need those familial and empathetic connections for your own sanity during times like that. Anakin's relationship with Obi-wan is strained here, but he is trying to help, in his own ways, and I loved the subtleties of their conversation - especially with the last line.

Now, it looks like the universe is going to throw them together again. I cannot wait. =D=

[:D]

15. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thanks everyone! [:D][face_love] The next section is a bigger one and I would like to try and do some editing on it, work is getting busy but I'm hoping to set aside some time to focus,and hope it won't take long. Thanks so much to everyone following :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Aala hesitated. If she was open it might encourage Padmé to reciprocate. Then again, if she knew they were close, she might not want to confide in her at all. It suddenly seemed immensely important she say the right thing. Aala did not like to gamble, but she was left with no choice.

"Yes," she answered finally.

Padmé smiled teasingly, unaware of Aala's internal struggles. "So, you have a vested interest in things changing?"

"Of course not," Aala answered too quickly, and she chided herself for always being so defensive. "I never wanted to raise a family." She clarified. "I enjoy being an Aunt. Anyway, Obi-Wan and I didn't part on the best of terms last time we saw each other."

"Does that account for this bout of loneliness?"

"I suppose it does."

Aala and Obi-Wan so alike, both very stubborn.!![face_not_talking]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I forgot how much I love Obi-Wan and Aala. This is a story, I can read and re-read over and over again.

18. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thank you! Updating with new edits within the next week! <3

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Happy happy - like a room without a roof!

20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Oh my gosh! I can't believe it's taken this long to update! It's just...this has always been my least favorite chapter I've ever written lol! I was distracted by other projects, and I wanted to do some major editing on this... I've done the editing I can do for now - it's still not perfect but there is cuddling! And I will push on. There is still a lot of great things coming up!

I hope you enjoy!

Thank you so much to every one that has read and commented AzureAngel2 EGKenobi ZaraValinor Nyota's Heart Gkilkenny Mira_Jade I love you all so much. Sometimes I get very, very slow...but I will never be gone [face_love]

~~~~~

The Jedi and the clones froze as one. There was a moment’s hesitation, a swift decision then Anakin and the clones followed Obi-Wan’s lead into a narrow outside corridor to the right.

“No. No, no... no!”

The interjection over Anakin’s comlink increased in both volume and urgency with each utterance. Though the command was somewhat vague, it was unequivocal. The tone of the agent’s voice made Anakin start so badly he clutched his lightsaber where it was clipped to his belt, ready to draw.

“You can’t go that way.”

Okay, fine, they weren’t in immediate danger.

The voice over the commlink was Aala’s, and though Anakin had never thought them anything alike, Aala sounded scarily identical to Padmé when she was upset. That must be why Anakin had been so startled. He’d thought he was in trouble.

Shaking his head, he tried to refocus his mind on the task at hand. The mission was simple on paper: extract a government aide, Phillip Barak of Brilam, in exchange for his information on the dealings of Brilam with the Separatists.
    They were trying to enter the palace covertly but it was not going as planned.

The aide had decided he was more than willing to trade his high profile job for his safety and a comfortable life on Coruscant. The Republic quickly decided his information on the Separatists was more important than the allegiance of Brilam, at this point. But if the prime minister discovered Barak’s impending betrayal, Barak would surely be dealt with swiftly and they were all feeling the pressure.

“You can’t – who is that?” Aala’s voice sounded both concerned and commanding. Again, Anakin was reminded of Padmé.

As they crouched in an alley between the palace and a high concrete wall, there was no other sound except the not-distant-enough metallic clanking of battle droids. Whisky and Rex looked to Anakin for direction. The younger Jedi Knight watched as Obi-Wan clenched his jaw. “That is me.”

“That’s a dead end, Kenobi, you can’t –” Anakin heard the Admiral in the background over the com and Whisky made an indignant noise at the same time. Obi-Wan’s expression remained stone cold.

“Er... uh,” Aala stammered. “General. Um, that’s a dead end,” she repeated herself, her voice faltering. “You can’t go that way.”

She must’ve left her terminal when they turned into the corridor. She wouldn’t have had an open comlink of her own, and had to be at the center command table now.

Anakin bit back a smirk at the look on Obi-Wan’s face; he apparently wasn’t in the mood to be told what to do. The sound of the droids grew louder. They were patrolling.

“We have no choice,” Obi-Wan said through gritted teeth. There’s a battalion of battle droids up ahead, on the planned route. There’s no way around them.We have to go around the side.” He made the signal to move ahead, down the corridor. The walls were high and bare, allowing their foot falls to echo in an unsettling way, and the calm blue sky above was a perfect contradiction to the disorder below.

“No, you don’t understand,” Aala insisted.

Obi-Wan stopped again, clearly agitated.

‘Odd,’ Anakin thought to himself. ‘I thought Obi-Wan and Aala were friends. Certainly haven’t been acting like it the past week.’

Rex and Whisky raised their blasters, at the ready, and Anakin could feel their unease.

“They’re... they’re corralling you. There’s no way out. There’s a reason it’s called a dead end.”

“Are you saying they know we’re here?”

“No... I – it must be a precaution.”

“Why did we not know about this?”

Anakin could tell he was trying to keep frustration from tinting his voice, but his agitation was clear on his face, his mouth drawn in a tight line. Afterall, it was an expression Anakin had caused many times himself.

“The field agent didn’t report any ‘droid battalions.’” Aala said, her voice sounding distant. “There were only a couple stationed at each main entrance. I don’t know what changed. How many droids are there?”

“Too many to dispatch without the chance of being noticed. It’s too dangerous.”

“But – um, General – you...”

Anakin heard the clicking of buttons, but he could hear the droids moving closer, as well. Obi-Wan signaled to move again. There was only the sound of the enemy nearby for a moment, while Aala searched.

“No,” she said. “There’s no way out. You’ll be trapped.”

“You better figure something out quickly then.”

“Have a seat, Agent Naberrie.” Admiral Yularen gestured toward her terminal.

Aala twisted her hands together as he leveled her with a serious gaze. Her behavior thus far had been a bit odd for an intelligence agent, but she’d been highly recommended. Now was her chance to prove it. Certainly, she’d have to work a miracle for General Kenobi to consider marking her favorably in his report. Although the man displayed infinite patience on many occasions with Skywalker and Tano, he thought it unlikely he would do the same for her.

Aala nodded once and sat down at her terminal, bringing up her reports and layouts.

Admiral Yularen tapped at the center console opening up a channel for her at her terminal.

“Agent Naberrie?” General Kenobi’s authoritative voice came immediately.

Aala hit a button to keep the link open. “I’m looking.” She was pulling up readouts and maps, scanning them furiously, comparing them to her own notes.

“Look faster.”

“There.” She said it under her breath, but General Kenobi heard her.

“Where?”

“At the end... there should be an– an add on to the building. The prime minister had an addition built so he could have a bigger closet. It’s not reinforced.” She pulled up more screens. “You should be able to cut your way in easily.”

“How do we know where the prime minister’s closet is?” Anakin questioned, an amused smile on his face.

Obi-Wan did not share his good mood. He’d had a bad feeling about this mission from the start. He knew Barak, the man they were attempting to rescue from the terrible fate of joining the Separatists. He was misguided and self-serving, but he was not a bad person.

Obi-Wan knew the prime minister, as well. He was a bad person – indulgent and masochistic. If they were discovered, Barak would be lucky if he were executed quickly, and that was not something he deserved. Obi-Wan was determined to finish this job efficiently and successfully, and planned on being well out of orbit before the prime minister had figured out Barak was long gone.

“You don’t want to know.” Aala answered, wry. “Do you see it?”

“No,” Obi-Wan said, his voice terse. The wall was straight and smooth as far as he could see – and ended just ahead. The sound of the droids had faded, but not disappeared. Rex and Whisky still had their blasters ready, backing down the corridor behind them.

“Around the corner,” she clarified, her voice certain.

Obi-Wan and Anakin turned the corner and immediately could see what was an obvious addition to the palace. It stuck out from the main building oddly, and was painted the same color, but not faded by the sun.

“Here,” Anakin said as he ignited his lightsaber. But Aala spoke up again.

“The problem will be in coming out of the closet.”

Obi-Wan threw his hand up to keep Anakin still. “This might’ve been nice to know sooner,” he said bitingly. “What does that mean?”

“There’s a security panel to get into the closet – only the door is wired. You could fry the panel, but it might lock down or set off a secondary alarm. There should be some sort of emergency handle on the inside, so if you use that you’ll have about 10 seconds to enter the code into the panel on the outside before it sets anything off.”

“Do you have the code?” His patience was flagging.

“Yes. Of course. Sir.”

“And how did we get the security code to his private closet?” Anakin joked.

“You don’t want to know,” she said again.

Anakin smirked. “I hope no one had to –”

“Anakin.” Obi-Wan said sharply. “Best case?” he asked Aala.

“The rooms are clear. This’ll put you directly across from the meeting point, you can grab the target and be in and out in less than 5 minutes.”

“Sounds promising,” Anakin interjected.

“Worst case?”

“The minister is inside, with his guards and he loses it when you stick your lightsaber through his brand new closet.” She paused. “Naked.”

Anakin chuckled, despite the look Obi-Wan gave him. “You did ask for the worst case.” Anakin ignited his lightsaber again and Obi-Wan sighed resignedly. “And if he is in his rooms?”

“You better think of something quick.”

The retort had barely left her lips when the distinct sound of blaster fire erupted over the com, followed instantly by the dual snap-hiss of two lightsabers, ignited almost as one.

Admiral Yularen leaned over her station, listening closely. He could feel the tension rolling off Agent Naberrie in waves as she sat motionless beside him. “General Kenobi?”

More blaster fire. The hum of a lightsaber slicing, first, through the thinness of atmosphere, then the density of metal. The clatter, as a droid fell in pieces to the hard ground below. No talking, no shouts... more blaster fire.

Then the sound cut out.

“Obi-Wan?” Aala tapped at the console, closing and reopening the channel as she called his name, the barest hint of panic beginning to creep into her voice. “Obi-Wan?”

By the Holy Stars. “General,” he reminded her, again, then strode back to the command table to see if he could establish a new link, but they were back before he could get there.

“We’re fine, it’s fine,” came Skywalker’s voice through the com at Aala’s terminal.

“Just a couple of stray clankers,” Rex added. “We took care of them. We’re in the building.”

Yularen looked over this shoulder to Aala; she was still obviously strained, one hand gripping the table in front of her as she leaned forward to listen.

“General Kenobi?” He inquired so she wouldn’t have to.

“Yes. We’re in,” he answered, his voice clipped and controlled. “Stand by with the code.”

Aala was already moving, much to Yularen’s relief. At least she could do her job. The rest was ‘Obi-Wan’s’ problem.

Aala held her breath as Obi-Wan and Anakin strode onto the bridge. Why had she opened her mouth, why had she called him that?

She was no one, and he... well, he was General Kenobi.

Force, even Anakin still called him ‘Master.’

She shook her head; first ‘Kenobi’ and then ‘Obi-Wan.’

Admiral Yularen, not to mention the clones on the bridge, had looked at her like she’d lost her mind. Then came the blaster fire, and she knew they were caught in that alley with no cover, and an image rose to her mind of Obi-Wan, hurt, bleeding, or worse, so close, but so far, and for a second she thought she was going to lose her mind. But she’d been overreacting instead of doing her job.

‘What is wrong with me?’ she berated herself. For over a year, she’d been doing this; she understood the necessity for formality. She’d never had a single problem with anyone and none with her. Now she’d offended an Admiral, clone troopers, and Generals all with a few misplaced words because she couldn’t keep her emotions in check.

She didn’t know what she had been expecting... Almost immediately, she’d calmly decided she would simply put her feelings aside and just do her job, but the way Obi-Wan did just that, so effortlessly, bothered her to no end.

All she could think of was that he hadn’t called, and she chided herself for hoping he might. Of course he didn’t need her. He hadn’t even spared her a second glance and she had begun to wonder if he had decided he really hadn’t felt anything for her at all.

Confused and a little hurt, she’d been pushing his buttons all week, making pithy comments before she could think better of it and arguing with everything he said. Not that he’d given her much chance; he’d been avoiding her like the blue shadow virus, letting her handle strategy with Anakin.

And apparently, she had a problem with authority. His ‘General Kenobi’ persona seemed to bring out the petulant adolescent in her. She’d been trying to phase that out of her personality since she was a petulant adolescent. ‘How professional of me...’ she thought to herself.

Aala chewed on her lip as she felt his gaze come to rest on her from behind. She shouldn’t have flirted with that field agent just to irritate him...

She definitely shouldn’t have insinuated they had –

“Agent Naberrie.”

“Yes.” It was more an acceptance of what she knew she had coming then a question. Turning in her chair, she stood up to face him.

“I know you’re only an intelligence agent –”

Ouch...

“ – but you’re still expected to follow certain protocol when we’re in the middle of a campaign.”

The tone of his voice was crisp and even, emotionless. Aala felt her cheeks redden at the way he was looking at her. “I – yes, sir.” Force, she felt stupid calling him that, but she didn’t know what else to say at this point.

“This does not include a running commentary on what you perceive to be our ineffectiveness. It does include you addressing me as ‘General Kenobi’, at least for the sake of decorum, if not respect, and an understanding that things can change very quickly in the field. It does not include erroneous details added only for the sake of humor.”

She swallowed thickly. Rex and Whisky were standing behind him, helmets now off; Rex with a serious stare and Whisky with a look like he couldn’t believe how undisciplined she was.

“Yes, sir.” He didn’t really think she didn’t respect him, did he? Kriff, she’d really messed this up.

“Admiral,” he said turning away from her. “Let’s get out of here. Naberrie, why don’t you make sure our, er, guest, gets settled in.”

So, he hadn’t completely lost his sense of humor. Aala nodded, and caught Anakin’s eye. He gave her an apologetic smile.

“I’ll...” he gestured vaguely to the door, presumably offering to take her to their rescued aide. As they left the room, he looked to her again. “Barak’s a little, uh, shaken up,” he explained.

“I can imagine.” Aala muttered. “He sounds like a sweetheart.” He had started neurotically making his demands the minute they had left dirtside and he sounded as equally concerned for his comfort as he was his safety. ‘He’d better have some good intel,’ Aala thought, or she would escort him back to Brilam herself.

“You did a great job, Aala.” Anakin spoke up.

She offered him a small smile in thanks. “Obi-Wan didn’t seem to think so.”

“Don’t worry about him, he’ll come around. It was a tough situation; I’d much rather just run in lightsaber blazing. He won’t admit it, but he would, too.”

Aala smiled.

“This is him,” Anakin said as they came to a small door.

Sighing, she decided she might as well try to start a report since she was here, and she steeled herself for spending the next few hours with their high maintenance defector.

Something in Obi-Wan’s voice had made Anakin think there was much more to this then he would ever let on.

And it struck Anakin, as it had only once before, and quite briefly, for legal purposes, at least, Aala was his sister. He remembered wanting siblings when he was younger, and he suddenly thought maybe in the future he might like the chance to get to know her, but for now he could take the opportunity to stand up for her. Isn’t that what brothers did?

It was only after they made the jump into hyperspace Anakin decided to broach the subject.

“You were kind of hard on her...”

Obi-Wan was at a terminal, studying something, and he didn’t look up when Anakin spoke. “Was I?” he asked absently.
    “She did an excellent job, everything considered.” Anakin said.

Obi-Wan held his chin in one hand stroking his fingers across his mustache and beard in thought. He seemed much more himself, now that horrible place was behind them. “It was a stressful mission. I suppose I forgot to commend her for her quick thinking.”

“Her solution was better than the original plan.”

“It was risky.” He said matter-of-fact.

“It worked. That guy was a handful, it would’ve been next to impossible to get him through that place unnoticed.”

“Yes.” Obi-Wan seemed to be thinking it over, a look on his face that Anakin couldn’t quite place. “I’ll make a point to say something to her when I see her next.”

“Say something?” Anakin prompted.

Obi-Wan was quiet for a moment. “Apologize.”

Then another thought struck him, and he had no idea where it might have come from, but he had a feeling... “Master... this woman you might’ve hurt... it wouldn’t be Aala, would it?”

“Possibly.” He answered softly.

“Then maybe you should apologize now.”

Aala was at her terminal in her room when one of the clones showed up at her door to fetch her for the General.

“General Kenobi requests your presence immediately.”

“I’m busy,” Aala replied flatly without turning around.

“He said you’d say that. He said I‘m not to leave your room until you’re ready to see him.”

Aala gave a short, resigned sigh. “Fine.”

Turning around, she recognized him as Whisky, the trooper that had been with Obi-Wan, Anakin and Rex. He had an almost indiscernible smirk on his face as he escorted her to Obi-Wan’s quarters.

Obi-Wan was at his kitchen unit, his back to the door, when she came in. “Did you argue?” he asked when Whisky left, dry humor laced his voice.

Aala couldn’t help herself, fidgeting. “Maybe...”

Obi-Wan didn’t say anything.

“The mission is over, I’m not under you command anymore, General.” She paused, half teasing. “Only at your mercy.”

He turned to face her, offering her a cup of tea and gestured toward the small couch. She was relieved to see most of the earlier tension had all but faded from his face.

She took the cup and perched on the edge of the seat. Though she felt better, the air around them was charged and Aala felt unsure of what she should say – there was still so much unspoken between them.

“I –” Obi-Wan started.

“Before you say anything...” she interrupted, “I have to tell you - I’m so sorry I left that diner. I’ve regretted it since the moment I walked out. I didn’t know what to... say and I was upset.”

“It’s not your fault Aala,” Obi-Wan said reassuringly, “it was difficult, to the say the least.”

“You were hurt; I should’ve been there for you, no matter what. I’m your friend and I – I shouldn’t have left.” Obi-Wan nodded, but it wasn’t the reaction she’d been hoping for. Actually, she had no idea what she had been hoping for – she felt more disconnected from him than she ever had. And she felt that pang again, that maybe he had realized he didn’t want her at the same moment she had realized how much she cared for him. But he was here, and he was talking to her...

“My turn?” he asked, looking at her carefully.

She tried to smile at him. “If you insist.”

“I would also like to apologize.”

But she knew he meant the mission. “No,” Aala protested. “You –”

“Now hear me out.” He continued. “I let the stress of the mission get to me. Your work and quick thinking were invaluable to all of us. And without your help, I’m not sure it would have been the efficient success it was.”

“I – thank you.” She spoke quietly, looking down and ran the tip of her thumb along the rim of her tea-cup. He clearly felt bad for what had happened, and his sincerity gave her a spark of hope.

She looked up at him. “I need to learn to just be quiet more often.”

Obi-Wan smiled, and she couldn’t help but return the expression. “So... are we even, then?”

“Well, I don’t know...” Aala fiddled with the cuff of her jacket, trying to hide a grin and looking at him innocently. “You’re tirade – ”
    “It was not a tirade,” he chided her playfully.

“Your... admonishment... was in front of everyone, and it was, at least partially, undeserved.”

Obi-Wan’s mouth quirked in a half-smile. “How can I ever make it up to you?”

“Hmmmm...” her eyes fell on a door across the room. “You have a water shower, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do.”

“I haven’t had a proper shower for over a week. I can’t stand the sonic, I feel dirty.”

“Hm, it’s rationed...”

“I’ll be quick, I promise.”

“Well... Five minutes.”

“Five minutes.” She repeated happily, then almost bolted for the ‘fresher. “This is going to be the best five minutes of my life,” she murmured blissfully, already unbuttoning her shirt.

Obi-Wan laughed softly, but then stopped abruptly. “Hey,” he grumbled.

Aala just laughed, letting the door slide shut behind her.

Obi-Wan sighed as he glanced at his chrono and tried not to think the things he was thinking. It was unfair to categorize her. For the most part, he could guess, she was quite different than... most... women.

Then again, he really had no idea. But it had already been more than five minutes and his water really was rationed – he had thought he was being generous – the amount of hot water he had worked out to just over four minutes a standard day. And he was anxious to talk to her.

He hadn’t meant to come across so harshly during the mission, but the stress of the entire situation had proven too much for his patience. And Aala’s attitude didn’t help the matter. He knew the intricacies of her personality well, but his doubt of her feelings had added an unknown layer to the tension. As much as he wanted to sit her down and just talk to her, they had not had the time, and so he’d left her alone. Until now.

Grabbing his bath robe from his bedroom, he opened the door to the ‘fresher. Steam billowed out of the tiny room. “It’s been five minutes, Aala.”

“Sorry,” she called out over the sound of the running water. “I’ll be out in a second.”

Obi-Wan hesitated one moment, but left the robe on the counter and went to wait in the other room.

Aala emerged a minute later, wrapped in his robe, her hair wet and sat down next to him on the couch. Pressing her shoulder against the backrest, she shifted sideways, so she could face him.

“That was seven minutes,” he said, implying it was a very serious infraction.

“Sorry,” she smiled guiltily, “I owe you two minutes.”

“Two minutes of what?”

“Anything you want.”

“That sounds nice,” he teased.

“Hmmm...” she agreed, watching him.

“Aala, we need to talk.”

“It helps if you don’t approach it like an interrogation.”

“I know,” he admitted quietly. Absently, he raised his hand, brushing his fingers across her temple and pushing her damp hair behind her ear. She was more beautiful than he remembered, and she was looking at him and suddenly talking didn’t seem quite as important as kissing.

His fingers slipped through her hair to the back of her head. He pulled her close, bringing her lips to meet his. The kiss deepened almost instantly as he sealed his mouth over hers. Aala’s hand came up to stroke his jaw, her fingers running through his beard. His own hands dropped to her waist, instinctively pulling her warm body closer to his.

His tongue swept along her lower lip and she opened fully to him, leaning into him in a way that made him wish they were somewhere much more alone.

Ardently, he explored her mouth, and her skin, intent on relearning everything he might’ve forgotten in the time they’d been apart, and she responded eagerly, only pulling away when she was breathless.

“Ohhh...” she sighed, a dreamy look in her eyes. Her head dropped sideways to the back of the couch and she tilted her face up to look at him longingly. “Mmm, how long has it been?”

Obi-Wan smiled. “For you or for me?”

Her head shot up and she pinned him with a hard stare, a moment passed before she must’ve decided he was only teasing her. “It should be the same,” she said dryly.

“I wasn’t sure, I wouldn’t want to presume –”

“Obi-Wan.” Her head dropped to the couch again, and he realized it was more a sleepy look than dreamy. She probably hadn’t gotten much rest at all since she came aboard; she’d been working nonstop.

“Three months...” he said softly, and she winced.

“...one week and four days.”

Aala laughed and he smiled brushing his hand over her hair again. They were quiet for a moment and Obi-Wan tried to gather his thoughts.

Even if she didn’t feel the same, he needed to be honest with her, so they could get back to the same place. He didn’t expect anything from her; he knew she cared for him, in her own way. But he needed her to know it was her in his thoughts, and she was important to him, and it mattered – it all mattered. They could never understand each other if he didn’t tell her this.

“Aala,” he said, “when –”

Obi-Wan’s comlink chimed from where it sat on the counter in the kitchen unit, and Obi-Wan frowned. “I’m sorry. I have to get that.”

Aala nodded and Obi-Wan left to answer the com. He kept the conversation as short as possible, anxious to return to Aala. But when he finished and went back to the couch, he found Aala, her head still tilted up on the back of the couch, with a charming look on her face that he knew intimately, the one that told him she was sound asleep and nothing short of a cataclysmic event would wake her for hours.

Baring his heart would have to wait.

The first thing Aala became aware of was that her head was bent at an odd angle and she had a terrible crick in her neck. She tried to shift her position, but found it strangely difficult to move.

Reluctantly, she forced herself into full consciousness and the second thing she became aware of was two strong, masculine arms - one wrapped tightly around her shoulders, the other curved across her back. And yes, that was a well-muscled chest her cheek was pressed against.

She couldn’t recall ever having woken up in Obi-Wan’s arms quite like this before, and now she knew why... while it sounded sort of romantic, it was a bit uncomfortable, and getting more so, the more she woke up. She moaned quietly and wriggled, trying to loosen his hold on her. She hadn’t thought it possible, but somehow his arms tightened around her even more.

“Oomph,” she groaned as all the air was squeezed out of her lungs and she pushed against his chest.

Obi-Wan chuckled, a low throaty sound that sent tingles all the way to the tips of her toes. She squirmed again, feeling the thin fabric of the tunic she was wearing bunch around her hips. “What happened?” she mumbled against his chest. “Did you take advantage of me?”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“Oh. Darn...”

He chuckled again. “You passed out on me.”

“Oh. Not that I’m complaining... but why am I plastered to your chest?”

“I was resting on the couch – ”

“What?” She lifted her head a fraction of an inch to try to glare at him for neglecting himself in favor of her, but he ignored it, keeping his tight hold on her.

“ – and when I came in to check on you, you were shivering.”

“Oh. I hate space. I swear I come within a parsec of freezing to death every time.”

“Mmm...” his arms loosened, and he let one hand drift across her back, catching the material of the tunic and sliding it aimlessly back and forth against her skin.

A beeping came from the other room and Obi-Wan languidly pulled away from her. She rolled off of his arm and stretched sleepily, trying to regain circulation in her limbs.

When Obi-Wan didn’t get up, she peeked over at him.

He opened his eyes slowly. “That’s you.”

“Oh,” she sighed. “They can leave a message.”

She turned on her side to face him, but her eyes drifted closed. It felt so good to lay here, and she was so warm and so comfortable in Obi-Wan’s bed. Even if it was on a blasted ship.

She must’ve drifted to sleep because the next thing she knew, that insistent beeping was rousing her from a rather pleasant dream. She squinted her eyes open, completely offended, but it didn’t matter, the beeping continued.

“Still you,” Obi-Wan muttered, his arm flung over his eyes.

She sighed deeply, but couldn’t find the motivation to get up. The beeping would stop. Eventually.

“Might it be important?” The general asked.

“I know what it is, and it is important, but it can wait.”

“What is it?” he asked.

“I already have another assignment. I was just waiting for some final details. In fact,” she added, thinking, “maybe you can drop me off.”

“I’m not an air taxi.”

“Fine, then you can just jettison me off into space and I’m sure I”ll figure something out.” Aala stretched and sat up, pulling her hair back and yawning.

Obi-Wan got up as well, and Aala almost giggled. “Do you only have one set of sleep clothes?” she asked, eyeing his bare chest and the loose sleep pants that were the obvious the match to the tunic she had on that was a size too big for her.
    “Would you rather I was wearing them both?” He stood in front of her crossing his arms.

Aala smirked and shook her head. “No.”

“What’s the assignment?” He asked as she finally swung her legs over the side of the bed.

“It’s classified.” She answered, standing up and heading for the ‘fresher.

“I think, as the commander of the Armada, my ‘clearance’ is a bit higher than yours.”

Aala stuck her head out the door. “And modest, too.” She knew he was teasing, but out of the warm haven of his bed, things felt strained between them again. She frowned as he waited expectantly for an answer. “Then it’s need to know, and you don’t need to know.”

“Aala...” he said in a warning tone. He leaned against the door jamb, watching her as she washed her face.

She looked at him in the mirror then frowned again. “Well, if you drop me off, you’ll know exactly where I am, and since when did you decide you need to keep tabs on me?”

Obi-Wan watched her closely, not saying anything. Aala shook her head, giving up on getting an answer or any privacy and she grasped the hem of the tunic, pulling it over her head and dropping it on the floor just to annoy him.

She started to pull on the clothes she had been wearing the night before, and looked at him carefully. “I’ve told you not to worry about me,” she said quietly.

“I’m just – interested in what you’re doing,” he finally answered.

She regarded him, her expression softening.

“Obi –”

Beep. Beep.

Aala sighed and brushed past Obi-Wan to get her com. She looked at him apologetically as she passed; she wasn’t sure what she was going to say, anyway. Aala picked up her com off the table. “Can you give me five minutes, I’m not in my room.” She paused as she got the sarcastic response she’d been expecting then rolled her eyes. “Not in my room.” She answered then switched it off.

She glanced at Obi-Wan, still watching her. She had the feeling there was a lot he wasn’t saying. “I’ll let you know when I have the details.”

He nodded.

“We didn’t get to talk.”

“It can wait.” The corner of his mouth turned up but the smile didn’t reach his eyes.

She forced a half-smile of her own and turned to go. Blasted war.

The old Aala would’ve been fine to leave well enough alone and let fate decide her path. But this Aala... she wanted to make this work, she needed to make this work, but she had no idea what it would take. And it bothered her that she felt like a different person, but she knew when she looked into Obi-Wan’s eyes that she saw everything she felt reflected back, and she knew he had changed with her.

Gkilkenny likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Riveting action. I like how Anakin is sympathetic and helped things along.
    Yay for the reciprocal apologies & cuddling!
    I am very happy that they're at least comfy together and closer to an understanding but the interruptions. Are frustrating! But I think hope they each know the other feels the same way even if they haven't specifically articulated that yet. ;)

Happy to know you'll never actually disappear from around here. [face_love] [face_love]

22. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Nice long chapter, my favorite kind. I like how he is worried about her, but is being too Jedi to say it. And that they have come to a truce. Plus more!

23. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Why do I have a feeling that them not talking is gonna come back to haunt them both? [face_nail_biting]Loving this story. Great work.=D=

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

Thank you so much! They are working towards an understanding, but both want to do it the *right* way and completely. In the meantime we can enjoy the ride ;) Thanks for all the unfaltering support! [face_love]

So glad you like it! Too Jedi! Yes haha, that is him. But gosh he is a good man too. He's working on reaching an even higher plane of being able to love Aala and still be all Jedi. ;) There will always be more. Thank you!![:D]

Thank you so much! It will certainly add to the tension. We will have to see what all that build up of tension does to them ;) Your kind words mean so much! Thank you! @};-

Hey everyone! New update now! I hope you are all fantastic. Much hugs and love [:D][face_love][:D][face_love] @AzureAngel2 @EGKenobi @ZaraValinor @Nyota's Heart @Gkilkenny @Mira_Jade

Night 1

The old bar on Vorzyd V was small, but it was comfortable. Sitting on the main thoroughfare between the hotels and Casino Royale, it stayed busy enough, even despite the recent decline in business because of the war.

The owner, a middle aged Vorzydiak, was nothing if not pragmatic, a savvy businessman. He was good-humored and had keen instincts. Aala had gotten on with him from the start. The alien insisted on simply being called Vo. She wasn't sure whether he was hiding something or his name was hard to pronounce, but it didn't matter to her either way.

Leaning on the aging bar, Aala went over the details of the assignment in her head as she waited for him to fill another tray of drinks - establish a cover on Vorzyd V, meet with the contact, Jace Ryen, whenever he saw fit to grace her with his presence, obtain the intel, double check it, and get out.

Picturing the image she'd seen of his face, she ran through the list she received with it. Average height, average build. Weakness for easy money and pretty girls, trimmed brown hair. Hot tempered and scruffy.

He'd apparently provided good intelligence in the past, but he'd been identified as jumpy and unpredictable – thus this new approach...

Meet him in his territory, charm him into relaxing and, most important, keep it short and sweet. He was supposed to show up in the next few days, but Aala was prepared to spend a week or longer. She had a room close by and a good cover story as a down on her luck wanderer, looking for a job and a place to get away from her past.

Why was it always so easy for people to believe she was down on her luck? She gave a mental shrug. As long as it worked.
    "Tables 5 and 6," the yellowish-green skinned bartender said, catching her attention as he added two ales to the whiskey and mixed drinks – a tall blue one, and a fizzy orange one – on her tray.

"Thanks Vo," she said glancing up at him, but he was looking over her shoulder, his antennae swaying slightly back and forth.
    "Watch out for the Hrakian."

Aala turned to see the bulky near-human at table 5; his hair and skin a distinct shade of gold.

"He's all hands," he said, a tone of dry humor in his voice. "But don't offend him," he added, "he's a regular."

Aala smiled – ah, the complications of being a waitress at a bar – and Vo gave a short nod, seeing she understood. She was grateful for the fair warning, but in the end she knew it was the bottom line that mattered to the businessman.

The first half of the night passed in relative peace. A stray hand here, a leer or two maybe there, and only one spilled drink. She sank comfortably into her assumed persona, if not the tight dress, serving drinks, flirting just enough to keep them interested in hanging around, and staying, for the most part, just out of reach.

She was consoling an old smuggler, who'd presumably gambled away the last of his credits at the casino, when she turned around and saw him. Her quick eyes took in every feature of his face in an instant – what looked to be a week's worth of stubble on his chin and jaw, the tousled hair like he'd just rolled out of bed, the handsome easy lines of his face.

Obi-Wan sat casually at a booth in the back. The other waitress, Jynne, was already waiting on him, her hand on her waist and her body tilted just so, inviting him to admire her generous curves.

Then his eyes met hers from across the room and she realized she had been openly staring. Something dangerous flashed across his expression. Aala spun around to grab her tray before she gave herself away.

She cursed under her breath, then cursed in her head, any and every curse word she could think of, then she made some up.

This was not part of the plan, this was not part of her plan. Did he think she wasn't capable of doing her job?

Trying to push her growing ire to the back of her mind, she decided to just ignore him. What did she care if he sat in the back of this bar and watched her? If he wanted to drink and flirt with his waitress then fine.

But he kept invading her thoughts. She knew they hadn't had a chance to talk, but he seemed fine when she left him, and they were in the middle of a war. Talking would just have to wait.

Blasted, kriffing, insufferable – she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Right. Ignoring him.

She ignored him as she felt his eyes on her from across the room. She ignored him as he tried to get her attention, pretending to want to order another drink. She even tried to ignore him when he cornered her in a back storage room where she was looking for alcohol to restock.

Seething, she tried to brush past him to leave, but his frame blocked most of the doorway. When had he gotten so...muscly?! He grabbed her upper arm, to stop her, to get her to look at him. She tried to wriggle out of his grasp but he tightened his grip and he forced her back into the room, the door sliding shut behind him.

"What are you doing?" she hissed at him, finally meeting his commanding stare.

"Trying to help you," he answered, his voice low and controlled.

Aala saw that flash in his eyes again, though, as she tried to yank her arm away from him, but his grip was unyielding. He took a measured step forward forcing her back into a shelf of supplies.

"I don't need help, you arrogant –"

"There's been an – incident." His steel gaze was unflinching, his face the picture of calm control as she stared him down, her temper long gone.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Your contact. It just hit the holonet, he's wanted on Corellia for assault and attempted murder."

"Well, is he guilty?" she challenged him.

"It was... it sounds like it was a tavern fight. He took off before the authorities arrived."

"Any number of things could have happened. That doesn't make him a cold-blooded killer."

"He's dangerous."

"He's Corellian. That's what makes him a good informant. Trouble finds him no matter where he is. We're lucky he's on our side."

Obi-Wan finally let go of her arm, his hand going to his chin. "People change, Aala. He's a wanted man."

"I'm not going to provoke him. Besides, we're paying him a lot of money, it's a business deal, nothing more. No one's being coerced into doing anything."

"That's another thing that bothers me... his family has a lot of money. He's very rich. Why does he bother?"

"From what I read, he has a rather healthy gambling habit to fund. Or maybe he just wants to do the right thing."

"I rather doubt that."

Aala sighed, done with this conversation, and turned around, pretending to search for something in the boxes behind her. "Have my orders changed?" she asked, glancing back at him, cold.

At this his eyes shifted down then back to her. "No. Not yet. Corellia isn't part of the Republic. Their business is their own. I'm only informing you of what happened so you can take the necessary precaution."

Her anger flared again and she whirled around. Little plastic drink straws flew out of the box in her hand and skittered across the floor. "This could have been done in a message, over a comm, Obi-Wan. You're going to blow my cover."

"Ben."

"What?"

"Call me Ben."

"Whatever." She looked him over – the physical changes, the dark, simple clothes, and a different name... would that be enough to mask his real identity? They were more than two and a half years into the war and he was a war hero. She couldn't go more than five minutes on Coruscant without seeing his name or image somewhere.

"I won't blow your cover. I know what I'm doing."

"So do I," she warned. "Don't –" She went to leave but he didn't move.

He was so close to her now, practically pinning her to the wall of shelves with his body. She could feel the warmth that emanated from his skin and smell the familiar masculinity of his scent. Aala ignore the stirring in her heart and pushed at his chest. "Just don't. Let me do my job."

Finally, Obi-Wan stood aside and she stormed from the room. "If you want to help, you can pick up the straws."

Aala managed to avoid 'Ben' for the rest of the night, though she snuck a curious glance once or twice. He must've shaved right after she left and he'd trimmed his hair a bit, thinning the grey and leaving it mussed. It made him look much younger.

But then he would catch her looking at him and she'd get irritated and ignore him again. Her contact didn't show. She wasn't sure now if he even would.

At the end of the night Aala decided she would slip out the back, resenting the idea that Obi-Wan thought he had to be here to watch over her.

The corridor to the hotel was lit by rows of bright fluorescent bulbs and Aala headed for her temporary room, not paying any attention to the throng of beings around her.

It was only a few moments before she felt him following her. Stepping into the crowded lift, she hoped he wouldn't catch it, not that it would delay him more than a minute or two, but no luck. She clenched her teeth together as he stepped in right before the doors slid shut, annoyed.

Sighing to herself, she conceded that she could not ride the lift all night. When they reached her floor, she pushed past him and he followed her.

Arriving at her door, she spun around, furious, her hand lifting in the air though she was not sure if she wanted to hit him, or shove him in the chest, or nothing at all, but it didn't matter because he grabbed her wrist before she had even realized what she was doing. She was so angry with him, she couldn't think straight.

"Why are you following me?" Despite her anger, she was unexpectedly struck by the difference in his appearance again as she turned to face him. A jolt of attraction raced through her blood. Her lust mixed with everything else she was feeling, though, and only served to intensify all her emotions in the end.

He pressed her wrist to the nondescript wall next to her head. "You're not taking this seriously," he said, his voice cool. "You're acting like it's nothing just to spite me."

She huffed. He was so close her, her breath fluttered his hair. "Are you insane? Of course I'm taking this seriously. You're blowing it out of proportion so you have an excuse to strut in here like a hero and come to my rescue."

"I'm here to give you important information pertaining to your assignment," he recited. The way he kept his emotions under control only served to make her angrier.

"Oh, please," she scoffed, her voice rising. "How many other intelligence agents do you personally go out of your way to hand deliver information to. There's no danger. If it is true, he probably won't show at all, and you know that."

"He's completely unpredictable. How much experience do you have with this sort of thing?"

"How dare you? You have no idea what I do, what I'm capable of." The hallway was quiet and her voice sounded loud in the empty space. She knew she was being unfair, but she couldn't shake her frustration.

Though his mask of calm stayed in place, he had that look in his eyes again. As she felt her cheeks flame with the heat of her anger she realized his look must be a direct reaction to the defiant, wild look she was shooting at him.

And she could tell he wanted nothing more than to toss her over his shoulder, cart her out of here and be done with it, but she didn't care.

"I'm trying to help you, Aala."

She struggled against his grip, starting to feel her fingertips tingling, and he let her hand drop.

"Leave me alone." Her heart raced in her chest, the words unconvincing even to her. Half of her wished he would disappear so she could find something besides him to punch, but the other half wanted him to close the last step between them and just take her already.

She couldn't sort out her feelings in her head and she couldn't figure out what she truly wanted. Either that or she just wouldn't let herself admit how much she needed him. It was so much easier to fight with Obi-Wan lately rather than face her own feelings, but then he would look at her like that …

She took a breath intending to yell at him again when, suddenly, he was pressing her to the wall and she was clutching the edges of his jacket and they were kissing and she had no idea if she had kissed him first or he had kissed her.

The tip of his tongue tickled insistently at her lower lip. She opened for him and he explored her mouth with fervor. Obi-Wan kissed her like he needed to relearn everything about her, like he needed her to survive. She clung to him, the kiss making her dizzy. His hands clenched at her hips and she ran her fingers through his hair and over the stubble on his jaw, trying to pull herself closer. The tension melted away and it felt better than anything.

It seemed like hours before Aala finally pulled back to catch her breath. When she did, she wrapped her arms tight around him, hugging him close to her as if he might disappear into smoke.

But he didn't. He lowered his lips to her ear, breathing hard and kissed the lobe once, softly. "Aala, I just miss you."

"Yeah?"

Pulling away, a small smile curved his lips, reaching his eyes, making them crinkle in happiness. "As long as you promise not to try to hit me again," he teased.

She was defenseless; she could only stare back at him, her cheeks flushed and her breath still quickened by his touch. He was irresistible. And she was a stubborn fool. "I'm sorry it's so difficult for me to - let you in...I…I'm trying."

His blue eyes crinkled with joy once more. "I know. I'm sorry I upset you. I never meant I thought you were incapable. I don't. Not at all."

Aala gave him a swift kiss and turned to enter the code to her door, pulling him inside.

She laughed quietly as he swept her into his strong arms, sealing his mouth over hers once more. The room was small and simple with only a bed, chair, a little table by the door and a 'fresher. Neither bothered with the lights.

Obi-Wan wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her, setting her down on the flat surface of the table. Weaving his fingers through her hair, he cupped the back of her head. Aala hooked her legs around his knees, pulling his body toward her.

She could feel what he felt; his longing, how much he cared for her, his desire to be near her and she felt horrible for being so harsh with him before. Was it that hard for her to accept he simply cared for her?

It didn't matter now, not with the way they were wrapped around each other; his mouth was so warm and soft against hers, and his strong hands and his solid body, the way he was touching her…

And then he scooped her up in his arms at the exact moment she heard the table crack and break, pieces of wood clattering to the hard floor beneath them.
    Apparently, it wasn't built for that type of activity. Aala couldn't care less as he dropped her to the bed and followed her down.

Too soon, she felt satiated and completely spent, her limbs numb and exhausted.

Many long minutes passed before her heart slowed enough she could catch her breath. Exhaustion and utter contentment threatened to take her, but she fought them both, turning her head on the pillow to look at Obi-Wan.

Aala couldn't remember ever feeling such contented pleasure. She gave a deep, happy sigh. "Ten," she breathed, snuggling into him and tangling their legs together.

Obi-Wan chuckled, his chest rumbling beneath her cheek and wrapped his arm around her. "I hope that's ten out of ten and not ten out of one hundred..."

Aala laughed breathlessly, turning her head to kiss his shoulder. "No. Number ten," she smiled, blissful. "Whatever that was, you've never done that to me before."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Let me know what you think :) kisses!

AzureAngel2 and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEE! The snark followed by the yum! Oh yes, I do love my Ashleys. [face_love] :D The Obi-Wan specialist and the L/M one too. LOL