main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Falling is a Force Power too?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AssassinDroid21, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Ever notice how many falls Jedi have made that would kill anyone else if they fell from that height?

Take Obi Wan in TPM. In the fight with Maul he fell who knows how many feet, then jumped back up that many feet only to go on fighting.

Or Luke on Hoth, he falls from the AT-AT, and doesnt even hurt his ankle. Sure it was snow but from that height you're still going to hurt something.

I guess its just a random observation, but how is it possible not to get hurt after the fall? Sure they're Jedi, but Jedi are vulnerable just like anyone else.

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I always assumed they used the Force to slow their fall/lessen their impact.

It's done in AotC, too, when Obi-Wan is falling from the assassin droid, and when Anakin drops to Zam's speeder. It's obvious Jedi can guide themselves with the Force as they fall, too, as Anakin proves.

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm pretty sure they use the Force to slow their decent (maybe not Luke in ESB though ;) )

The AotC novelisation describes Anakin jumping down an elevator shaft and sending a Force push out in front of him to slow his decent down. I assume he does the same thing onto Zam's speeder but Obi-Wan hits the deck pretty hard in TPM....maybe no time to focus after being kicked in the head or something? ?[face_plain]

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't know if the fall that Obi-Wan took in TPM would have killed him because of the way he lands. But he shouldn't have been able to move afterwards like he did. Darth Maul took a worse fall than Obi-Wan, and he turned out fine.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, IMHO, the falling itself isn't a Force power - but rather controlling the speed at which you fall on the solid surface and protecting your bones and rest from contact (with the solid surface) IS an art.

Aunecah

6. OLLIEVARR

OLLIEVARR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I don't think anyone's made note of the most obvious force-assisted fall in the saga thus far-- Windu at Geonosis.

He's in the balcony and Fett shoots fire at him and Windu proceeds to fall ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE ARENA FLOOR where he lands on his feet, tosses his cloak, and keeps right on fighting without so much as a pause.

I think this fall pretty much seals the issue of whether or not Jedi can cushion/slow their falls.

7. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Lets not also forget that aside from the Telekenetics that go along with slowing themselves, and cusioning their falls... But the way the force enhances natural abilities, strength, speed, agility, alertness, and Endurance. With the Physical attributes enhanced, precognitive abilities, and telekenetic abilities, the Jedi are some rough tough peace hunting machines...

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Obi-Wan would've definitely had to use the Force to protect himself in the TPM fall. Falling all that distance and coming down with all his weight on one shoulder would've broken a few bones otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.