main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Falling Star (AU Light Side Xanatos) - 9/19 Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Xanatos pressed his living hand to his false arm. "My arm is still there."

:_| Poor Xan! Very powerful post was this. Very powerful.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Missed an earlier post. Shirigoraam sounds like a creepy place. Drives Jedi masters crazy and they turn on their padawan?

While Xanatos seems well suited for that new look, the idea of Yoda dressed like that... no don't even want to consider. :p

Yoda and Xanatos togehter??? Very intriuging.

Might I again ask for a PM when you uodate here? :) :)

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    obsessedwithSW - SO I don't have much info in the before are most of these characters yours or do they come from EU? Who is Ajax?

Xanatos, Yoda, Mace and Qui-Gon are canon characters. Everyone else are my creations, like Ajax.

oe - Very powerful post was this. Very powerful.

Should I be worried that you are speaking like Yoda? o_O

Leona - the idea of Yoda dressed like that... no don't even want to consider.

Can you imagine him trying to tie laces with those stubby green clawed hands? And Leona, you do know you have access to it and the sequels, don't you?

It was strange how a chunk of flesh determined one's existence, Xanatos thought dully as he stared out the ship's canopy into space. His gaze fell to the glove-covered fingers of his left hand. It was merely a mass of metal, neural sensors and wiring tied into his nervous system that made up the shape of a hand. Yes, it functioned like a hand would have, allowing him to do everything he used to do with little change.

No, that was not entirely true, this hand allowed so much more. He would have shattered the bones in his forearm a dozen times over in the last year alone if it were not for the false arm. By tweaking the sensors, he eliminated the sense of pain and could use the arm like a shield in battle.

It had given him a greater advantage than ever before. Certainly it had made him a more dangerous opponent. He was even willing to have his false arm severed because the pain would be nothing compared to the agony he had already suffered losing the real one.

Admittedly, he was no slouch when it came to wielding a lightsaber. As a padawan he had been considered one of the best to come up through the ranks. As a knight he was quickly earning back his reputation. Even Mace, whose skill was almost legendary, whom he had dueled with hundreds of times could not always win.

At the same time, he knew it was more than a lost arm. His path had changed. He knew that who he was now was not whom he had imagined he would be back when he was eighteen.

Looking up, he stared at the two beings in the pilot and navigator's seats, Mace and Yoda.

It was the little master who had worked to find various prosthetic manufacturers, to find just the right arm to give him a physical sense of wholeness while he tried to repair the mind. He had tried to instill in Xanatos that the Force had willed he should live and he should take it as a lesson and grow stronger from it. Mace had a different approach and had not taken no when all Xanatos had wanted to do was sit in the dark of his room and do nothing. With and without a false arm he was drug, sometimes literally, to the practice floor. Mace kept beating him with a training weapon until Xanatos was black and blue.

Until he started fighting back.

They were two of many Jedi who had played an important part, pulling him from the depths of despair. He was sure that some were genuinely concerned while others, he felt were making a penance from not doing something when concerns began to rise over Qui-Gon's mental stability.

Xanatos did not blame them, he himself, who spent much of his time with Qui-Gon had not seen or understood that his master was not just concerned with balance, or in his words, a lack of balance, but something far more terrible was stirring in the Jedi.

He had felt the disquiet but did not act on it?did not believe that if affected him. His master had always been attuned to the Force differently and he wrote off the change in behavior as one of Qui-Gon's more annoying quirks.

Some Jedi lead missions, which he was a part of as Yoda rarely attended to fieldwork. He was a special case as Yoda had declared himself too old to take on a padawan learner following Qui-Gon's knighting, choosing to spend his time teaching classes in the temple when other business did not press.

Each master or knight he worked with came as a teacher but some were there to observe and divine if he would remain on the pat

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Your writing never fails to move me - sometimes to laughter and sometimes to tears, and often both in the same story. [face_love]

Despite himself, Xanatos smiled at the memory. He noted Yoda's reflection in the transparisteel. The little master was watching.

"She can't be dead," Xanatos said firmly as he stared reflection. "I still owe her."

"Hmm," Yoda said softly. "Fluffy pink slippers and red hair ribbons." He smiled. "Owe her, we all do."

I absolutely loved this! =D=

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    D'oh!!! :oops: I'll have to go look in at the sequels after reading the this here. [face_blush]

I love the effort both Mace and Yoda had taken with Xanatos. Good for them in helping him!!

I definetely like Mace and Yoda much more in here than cannon. Funny how a bit compassion goes a long way.

Loved the humorous end of the post as well. [face_love]

Superb post!!

6. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Love Ajax and how she isn't afraid to bully Xan. :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    He needed her to bully him. Likely he was sinking back into depression with his disability and inability to see that Qui-Gon was not all there.

This is a great story, red. Love how Xan turned around from the path he was following, even though he had to go through hell to do it.

Wonderful.

8. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Oh, I definately like :)

Can't wait for Qui and Xan to come face to face again.

Your Xan is lovely.

--shan

9. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    The mission, she informed him would not end until she got genuine, joyful laughter from him, as she believed a Jedi could not survive without joy.

Despite himself, Xanatos smiled at the memory. He noted Yoda's reflection in the transparisteel. The little master was watching.

"She can't be dead," Xanatos said firmly as he stared reflection. "I still owe her."

"Hmm," Yoda said softly. "Fluffy pink slippers and red hair ribbons." He smiled. "Owe her, we all do."

I love Ajax forcing Xan to smile and lighten up.
    Despite himself, he cant help but like her.

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I finally found this.

This looks to be another wonderful Xani-centric story

11. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    VL - Your writing never fails to move me - sometimes to laughter and sometimes to tears, and often both in the same story.

[face_blush] Thank you very much.

Leona - I love the effort both Mace and Yoda had taken with Xanatos. Good for them in helping him!!

He might need a little back up.

oe - Love Ajax and how she isn't afraid to bully Xan.

You like anyone who gives Xan a rough time. :p

Diane - This is a great story, red. Love how Xan turned around from the path he was following, even though he had to go through hell to do it.

Thanks! He got a little bit humbled, didn't he?

shanobi - Can't wait for Qui and Xan to come face to face again.

It'll be a nice, peaceful get together where they will sit down to tea...oh wait, wrong story.

obsessedwithSW - I love Ajax forcing Xan to smile and lighten up. Despite himself, he cant help but like her.

Yup, she grows on him.

PK - I finally found this.

What took you so long? :p Glad you are engoing it.

Thanks for reading everyone. :)

The low grind of the platform extending down to the broken stone landing area seemed to reverberate through the jungle moon that had barely known the touch of technology in the hundreds of thousands of years it had existed. The smooth grey metal came to rest against the stone, crushing beneath its weight bright pink flowers entangled in vine that had burst up through the cracks in the stone. Over the din of the living world, from the massive trees that crowded the temple grounds and the thick fog that lingered in the surrounding hills and valleys came the heavy thud of rushed footsteps.

"Wait!" Yoda called as he raced to the entrance but Xanatos did not listen. All the little master could do was watch his student race across the broken stone toward the path the vanished into the trees. Tapping the pointed tip of his gimer stick against the metal floor, he allowed a heavy sigh.

"You knew that was going to happen," Mace said as he unhooked his lightsaber and started down the ramp.

"Much danger here, I sense," Yoda said as he hobbled behind.

Mace paused about halfway down the ram, his face tilted upward toward the sky. Wispy clouds drifted across the faded blue canopy. "Strange for such a beautiful place."

"You cannot judge by surface beauty alone."

The dark skinned Jedi looked back at the little master. "It feels as if the Force is in turmoil."

Yoda nodded. "Foolish observation it is not." Shirigoraam was the only place he had ever felt the Force so disturbed.

The Force just was. It was neutral but reflected the aura of those about it giving one a false sense that the Force had duality. It sought only balance, but here it was constantly at war with itself and neutrality barely maintained.

He noted that Mace's attention had shifted toward the other ship sitting in the clearing.

"Doesn't look to have taken any damage," the tall man said as he stepped off the platform onto the stone and started for the smaller craft.

Saying nothing, Yoda reached out through the Force, letting it flow through him, feeling the moon, teeming with life and feeling the struggle within the Force's energies. "Attacked on the ship, they were not."

"I don't get it," Mace began. "If Qui-Gon is here, why didn't he just take the ship and escape?"

"Escape is not his plan."

?

The mournful call of some unseen creature echoed through the heavy mists that filled the spaces between the lush green trees. The distant chatters and sounds of the jungle seeped into the edges of Xanatos' mind, but his attention and hear remained focused on reaching the Black Temple. He did not need the Force to tell him that was where he needed go.

The long path, carved from the rock curved and twisted through groves of trees. Vines dropped down and from the corner of his eye sometimes he caught them moving along the gnarled branches of ancient trees. The air was warm and sticky, quickly leaving

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, Qui-Gon is nuts if he's attacking Ajax and her padawan. I love the description of the Black temple, the way the moisture made his foot slip - very vivid.

Xan should not have gone ahead, though. He should wait for backup. I think he's going to need it.

Great job.

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Next to it was the blackened, desiccated remains of a human arm cleanly severed just above the elbow.

He reached at his false arm, the metal hard under the cloth, as if to comfort against the tinge of pain that shot through it. The pain sensors were all but deactivated. He could melt the arm down and not feel it and yet it was he could do to keep from crying out in agony.

I so love that part. Gives me goose bumps. :)

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Xanatos!!! You should know better than to run out into a strange jungle where the Force is all twisty weird and there a mad Jedi master out there running around. Tsk, tsk.

Aww, poor Kiava, she barely had a chance. Can Xan save both Ajax and himself. I hope his sense are very keen.

Superb post Red.

15. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Diane - Xan should not have gone ahead, though. He should wait for backup. I think he's going to need it.

Yes, but Xan never does anything he's supposed to do.

[face_laugh] That's funny! I'm so lazy that I'm just copying my Jello post and reposting it over here with changes to the replies. My response to your reply at Jello is just as fitting to your reply here. Yes, I know I'm easily entertained.

oe - I so love that part. Gives me goose bumps.

Cool. At least you can get your fix until November...

Leona - Can Xan save both Ajax and himself. I hope his sense are very keen.

If he can't it will be a very short series. :p What's the fun if he doesn't rush ahead and get himself into terrible danger?

Thanks for the replies.

Hiding his concern behind a determined grin, Xanatos told his friend, "I am not leaving without you." He took her arm, preparing to pull her up.

Her body was heavy against his as he shifted her. "Kiava is dead," she said in a knowing voice.

"Yes." There was no point in lying to her, she knew. "But you are not." He was determined to get her far from that terrible place.

"No," Ajax whispered.

"You are just being stu?"

The words died on Xanatos' lips as he responded with lightning quick speed that blocked the downward cut of a green blade. Sparks flared as green and blue ground together. Glancing about, Xanatos knew he had to get the fight away from Ajax. She could not defend herself in her condition. Rolling back and allowing his attacker to bear down on him, he kicked out, firmly connecting with a knee.

As the tall figured toppled, he lunged forward, shoving the man away from Ajax but a blow to the head sent him crashing to the floor. Scrambling to his feet, he turned to face his opponent. "Hello, Qui-Gon."

The other man straightened. The sharp look in dark blue eyes faded with shock.

Xanatos sidestepped, never taking his eyes off the other man, until he stood firmly between Qui-Gon and Ajax. Bringing his weapon forward, he took a defensive posture, one of which could be switched to offensive in the bat of an eye. He watched the tall man silently get to his feet and reactivate his weapon.

"You lived," Qui-Gon said, sounding only slightly surprised.

"No thanks to you," Xanatos responded as he tipped his chin toward the remains of his severed arm. His gaze skipped toward the corridor that led back outside before settling on his former master. He wondered where Yoda and Mace were. He could use the help, but in the end it mattered little. Qui-Gon Jinn would not be allowed to escape this time. "Lay down your weapon," he said evenly as he shifted his stance. "By order of the Jedi Council, you are to be remanded into custody."

Qui-Gon straightened, seeming to drop his guard but Xanatos knew better than to try and rush him. The older man, who looked little changed from the last time he had seen him was just a bit greyer and had a few more lines across his face. There was no madness lighting his eyes as Xanatos long imagined there would be. In fact, ever bit of the older man, seemed perfectly normal. "I do not recognize the Council's authority," he said. Cocking his head as if to listen to something only he could hear, he asked, "Do you feel it, Padawan?"

Fury, like molten lead flowed through Xanatos' veins. His voice was low, guarded, "I am a Jedi Knight, not your padawan." Internally, he chastised himself for allowing his anger to rise up. This was not the time to lose focus Ajax needed him.

The other man offered him a curious look but said nothing.

In the blink of an eye, green filled Xanatos' vision. He responded quickly, but barely managed to ward off the initial attack. He stumbled as he struggled to block Qui-Gon's fierce drive forward, in ten years the master had not lost any of his cunning or power, pushing Xanatos deeper into the chamber.

Out of the corner of his eye, the dark haired Jedi could see Ajax's still form lit by flashes of blue and green.

H

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Poor Xan. :( He just can't buy a break.

November?! :_|

17. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    This is so different from other dark Qui fics i've read. It's hard to imagine Qui in this light as he just seems to have that innate goodness about him. And even here, with all he's done, i'm sure he thinks it is for the better good. You did a wonderful job of making him dark without making him evil.

I'm very curious as to what he saw in the reflection. Wonderful descriptions and images, btw. I had this wonderful imagery in my head as I read. Such a beautiful, but deadly place. I'm glad that Ajax survived.

Quite the tea party, red ;)

--shan

18. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I like my RRK fixes

19. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Whoops, sorry, I forgot the last post. [face_blush]

oe - November?!

And the only reason you are getting that in November is because it's your birthday...and you'll hurt me if you don't get your fix eventually.

shanobi - You did a wonderful job of making him dark without making him evil.

Thanks! I really don't think he could go evil but I think he could take his beliefs to an extreme so that's the angle I went with here.

PK - I like my RRK fixes

:)

Okay, this is the last one. The sequels aren't exactly tf.n friendly so you won't see them here, but most of your know where they are at. :p

They would have to forgive him his indiscretions this morning, Xanatos thought tiredly as he shuffled through the corridors of the Jedi Temple in less than proper dress. At least, he was dressed which was an improvement on the day before. He did not have much energy.

Had not for days.

His body was still healing from the wounds he had suffered on Shirigoraam but it was more than that. Sleep had eluded him. Even his calm center seemed hard to find of late. Small surprise as much as he hurt. His back and shoulder made moving difficult and to complicate matters, it would take a few weeks for a replacement arm to be manufactured and properly fitted.

He was not very adept at functioning singled handed and had quickly grown weary struggling with complex layers of tunics and boots.

So what if it drew needless attention from stuffy old Jedi as he wondered about in easy fitting practice clothes. Not quite the wear for the Great Hall, but he was less conspicuous on the training level, wandering between closed exhibition halls.

Still, he did get a few curious looks.

It was not because of the simple tunic with long sleeves that mostly hid the fact he was missing an arm above the elbow. It was not the wide legged trousers he wore either, but rather the fluffy pink slippers that appeared with each long stride. It was the only footwear he owned that did not have buckles or laces or require both hands to get on right. Besides, they were comfortable.

Yes, he could have gotten more appropriate footwear from the Temple stores, but what fun would that have been?

Even with that bit of rebelliousness showing through, he hardly felt like himself with his long hair loosed and spilling over his shoulders. He had washed it, even combed it and that was as much as he could do.

Not that too many Jedi really cared. Most just left him alone. The news was all about the Temple of his altercation with his former master. Many had expressed concerns and condolences, checking up on how his recovery was but none would mention Qui-Gon by name.

That was all right, he did not need any more reminders, it was enough that he saw Qui-Gon's determined look every time he closed his eyes.

Nodding to a tall Cerean master as he turned a corner and passed a few padawan's rushing by, he dug into the folds of the creamy tunic and found one of his long, red hair ribbons.

At a door, he paused, listening to the distant sound of lightsabers and voices. Reaching for the door controls, he paused, raising his hand to the plate above and brushing his fingers over the cool metal. It read simply: Gallery Twelve.

The unofficial title was the Watcher's Gallery where potential masters could come and quietly observe classes of younglings below practicing with their training lightsabers. It was a place Xanatos had avoided since he was a boy down on the floor. Of course, he had come to the Temple with a man who was intent on being his teacher so he did not suffer the concerns of his peers.

Over the railing, on the floor below a dozen initiates were pared off and dueling against one another under the careful eye of several masters.

Though Yoda had suggested it several times over the last year, saying the responsibility would do him good, but he had shied away from even looking at the younglings, firm that he had no interest in taking a student.

H

20. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    *happy sigh* :) So love this story and the ending in particular. Can't wait until November. :D

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved it. Poor Xan. He needs a padawan and Obi-Wan is just the one for him.

Great job.

22. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I forgot what a pleasure it is to read one of your fics Red=D= .Is there another site where your work is posted? please PM me with the URL. 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.