main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Families going to C3

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by BrotherHalo, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    I haven't seen one of these either!

I'm a dad, and my whole family is going out to C3. There's no way I could imagine going to this without my wife and two boys.

In interest to maintain safety and ideas for that and other things, I wanted to start a thread here.

A couple of ideas for folks that are taking their families with them:

1. Badges - yes, the kids get badges, too, but I'm talking custom badges. Some sort of ID to keep with your kids, but not just name and contact info. If you can, put a picture of mommy and daddy with names on there.

2. Belongings - make sure all belongings are tagged. You don't want your young'uns to be dropping items or losing things. At least they can be identified and hopefully returned to the rightful owner. Along those lines, is there a LOST AND FOUND area that anyone knows of?

3. Snacks - plenty of snacks and water. You think adults are cranky when they are tired and hungry? You know what I mean all you other parents of toddlers and preschoolers out there...

4. BATHROOMS! - always know where a bathroom is. You know why.

Please post other ideas!

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm not sure I'd want my family to go...

3. jakejar

jakejar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    It's going to be my husband, our 9 year old son (aka jakejar here) and myself. We think this will be a once-in-a-lifetime event that our son will always remember and we can't wait!

Thanks for the good suggestions for those of us coming with children.

One question about lines: It's considered perfectly okay for one of us to hold a place in line for all three of us, right? Just want to make sure.

jakejar's mom

4. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Hi jakejar's mom! And jakejar!

You know, this is my first BIG con experience, so I'm not sure. If it's a parent saving a spot for a spouse and kid, I don't see why not.

But that's coming from my perspective, which is a bit skewed.

As long as it doesn't prevent people behind you from getting into an event or a limited exclusive item, I don't see a big problem with it. Other people save places for their friends all the time, too.

5. jakejar

jakejar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Hmm, yes, about limited space for attendees...let's say, just for an example, the George Lucas panel??? Would a riot break out if I held a place in line for 2 other people (aka spouse and son)?

Thanks!

jakejar's mom---who really needs to come up with a Jedi Council name of her own!

6. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Well, I'm not sure how that panel will work out. Unfortunately, that's a wait and see game right now. It may be a lottery system, which would prevent you from having to worrying about getting in, to worrying about how close you'll get to sit to the stage.

I don't think holding two places in any line will get anybody riled up. That is, of course, except for the first two people who aren't allowed in. ;)

7. troy-shellie

troy-shellie Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2005
    Yes my family is going. We went to c2 just the wife and I went to c1. This time we will have one more, there will be five of us. It will means alot of planning and snacks and missing some events that I would love to go to. At c2 instead of waiting in line to get the action figure with a 2yr old. I bought it of of ebay as soon as I got home. Yes I did pay more, but it sure beats standing in line with a tried kid.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    BrotherHalo posted on 4/6/05 1:36pm

Badges - yes, the kids get badges, too, but I'm talking custom badges. Some sort of ID to keep with your kids, but not just name and contact info. If you can, put a picture of mommy and daddy with names on there.

[hr][/blockquote]

You know, that is a BRILLIANT Idea... And parentals, have a recent piccy of your youngling for proof of ownership. I don't have kids but one of my fellow Fan Focre members does...

9. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Great suugestions by everyone! Even though I don't have to worry about this,alot of people do,and these things will help I'm sure. :)

JakeJar's Mom: Holding a place in line is fine. Last time when me and my Dad were waiting for autographs,he would hold my place in line for me when I'd go to the other side of the dealer's room,and buy something. I came and went from the line about 3 times. (it was a long line,2 1/2 hours) and no one seemed to mind. :)

10. QCJediLance

QCJediLance Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    Glad to see someone started this thread. Thanks for the great tip on putting id cards on the kids. We went to C2 and had 3 kids that time, this time we will have 4 kids- 10y,5y,3y,1y all boys. So if you see a mom going crazy at C3 you know it's me! :) My only fear is the crowds, it was horrible last time way too crowded no room to walk at all. I'm hoping the kids room will be nice and realy fun stuff for the kids to do. Anyone know what's in there?
    Kim Ann
    posting under my dh name

11. darthvaderny

darthvaderny Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Darth Breezy,

Thats a great idea about having a picture of your children with you. I am going with my 11 yr old son and I know he will be a handfull to deal with. So when he wonders off, I will be able to identify him!

12. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    My wife and I are heading to C3.

13. troy-shellie

troy-shellie Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2005
    Correct me if I am wrong, I thought I read somewhere that for children under 6 you need to pick up some type of free badge for them..Is this required and how bad do you think the line will be? This doesn't seem correct. Without these will our kids get to go to everything we can. We did not do such a thing at c2. So anyone else that knows this in details would be great.

14. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Yes, all children get a badge. In my opinion, they are cooler. They have pictures of the animated Clone Wars characters. For example, the 4-day badge for kids under 6 is of mullet Anakin.

You are supposed to pick these up at registration, I believe.

15. QCJediLance

Jul 22, 2002
    So if you are in the early entry Star Wars fan club line they will give you a badge for a child under 6yr? I hope so because my hubby will be pretty po'd if he has to get in another line to get a badge for them. We have 4 kids and only one of them needed to buy a badge for.

16. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    You know, I'm not sure. I would assume that if you have your kids with you that are under 6 that need a badge, you pick it up when you enter the building, not before.

I sure hope so, because I'd be pretty PO'd too!

17. QCJediLance

Jul 22, 2002
    For those with younger kids (like under 4yrs) are you skipping GL and other talking sessions and mostly sight seeing? I would love to hear GL and some other people but can't see how that will happen with me and my kids---them not wanting to sit for so long or me being worried if they will be quiet the whole time etc. So I am pretty sure I will be sight seeing alone as dh goes to the sessions.

Kim Ann
    (posting under dh name)

18. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm dragging my grandma with me because I can't drive yet, and my 8-year-old little brother is comming... its actually a very small portion of my family seeing as I am the oldest of 8 children and have gone broke enough just getting the three of us there! I'm kinda glad my whole family isn't comming with us. :p

19. Dragonheart65

Dragonheart65 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2005
    Yes me and my family are going. 5 kids and two adults...now that should be interesting! A family of 7 invading Celebration III. Look out! We attended Celebration I when we only had 3 kids (boy what memories). I am doing this for my kids...especially my oldest son who turns 13 May 19th the film's release date. Ironically my youngest son's birthday is May 25th...the day Episodes IV and VI were released (Karma anyone???) I think you have great ideas on how to keep track of your kids. I hope this place will be stroller friendly..if not we have a backpack carrier for our 2 yr old...she is fascinated with Darth Vader and Chewbacca...of course she calls him a 'puppy' but hey...it's cute!!! I got the kids' SW T-shirts and my husband made 'badges' at his TV station with the kids' pics, with their favorite characters on them. My sons are wild about the Clone Troopers and we hope to see some fans in costume for picture opportunities.

Any good places for large families to hang out???

20. JediMasterRonoc

JediMasterRonoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    i'm in college. i'm not going w/ my immediate family bc they're not hardcore star wars fans like i am. i am going w/ my uncle's and cousins though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.